Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should they include a 4th level of Armor? (Plate)

Torasi
Torasi
✭✭
Do you think that they should include another level of armor equivalent to that of Plate in WoW?
Edited by Torasi on April 18, 2014 2:15PM
"Only the proud and mighty dare to follow the ways of Talos"

Should they include a 4th level of Armor? (Plate) 201 votes

Yes
18%
Lauradoublestickjock7_ESONajjynnjpgreifzustrelnikovMalediktusDarkHerumorJoxerHDgdorsettub17_ESOleandro.800ub17_ESORizzitRockettdemonlkojipub19_ESOAlexDoughertyWifeaggro13TheWiredGallarrKililinTezlamegowego24 37 votes
No
81%
SupersomethingMallowayImryllMaddjujuOpioidShaggygamingMoonchildeaisriyth_ESOArgonianAssassinrwood0604_ESOjpw359_ESOObscurebyroneastridge_ESOchimneyswift_ESOChampionSheWolfIronbarSinisterskeletorz_ESOjakenaftalb14a_ESOGeeYouWhyalexj4596b14_ESO 164 votes
  • jakenaftalb14a_ESO
    No
    I think the current itemization works just fine. Would definitely need a rebalance. Something that ESO isn't ready for (just released lol) and that I can't see there being real benefits from. So we split up armor types into another tier of +ap -speed?
    1 more armor active skill?
    More armor passive skills?
    More tank?
    Idk, just my opinion.
    Edited by jakenaftalb14a_ESO on April 18, 2014 2:26PM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, the plate armour in Skyrim looked excellent.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Silent_Paw
    No
    Im pretty sure Plate is considered heavy armour so...no
  • Torasi
    Torasi
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Silent_Paw wrote: »

It is quite heavy armor, but if you played WoW there was Cloth, Leather, Mail, and Plate. So it would be a fourth tier, it wouldn't necessarily be called "Plate" armor, but it would be a higher level armor.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What would be the purpose of implementing another tier of armor? All I get from your post is "because WoW has it", which isn't very convincing... Not trying to attack you, just curious. Heavy armor already easily reaches the armor soft cap.
    Edited by Rosveen on April 18, 2014 3:04PM
  • Torasi
    Torasi
    ✭✭
    Yes
    @Rosveen No offense taken. In all honesty I was just wondering if there would be any benefits to having one. Some people might just want another grouping of armor that looks different. Who knows.
  • Opioid
    Opioid
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The Heavy Armor in this game already looks like plate and already carries enough armor to get you close to/exceeding the armor soft-cap when using a shield and Reinforced trait on a few pieces.

I don't see the point in adding another tier.
  • MoMoOG
    MoMoOG
    ✭✭
    This is how I would do it if it was implemented. Plate armor gives most defense and defensive passives (for tank). Heavy armor would give next best armor and gives dps passives for MELEE abilities only. Medium armor would gives dps passives only for RANGED abilities. Light remains as it is. This would help alleviate some of the problems melee dps builds are having in being able to survive while maintaining dps when compared to ranged dps builds.
  • Opioid
    Opioid
    ✭✭✭
    No
    MoMoOG wrote: »
    This is how I would do it if it was implemented. Plate armor gives most defense and defensive passives (for tank). Heavy armor would give next best armor and gives dps passives for MELEE abilities only. Medium armor would gives dps passives only for RANGED abilities. Light remains as it is. This would help alleviate some of the problems melee dps builds are having in being able to survive while maintaining dps when compared to ranged dps builds.

So you're saying that all melee DPS is going to be forced to use heavy armor instead of medium? That makes no sense. A dual dagger wielding rogue-type character shouldn't be running around in heavy armor.

The system works well the way it is. Tanky types get heavy armor, melee and ranged DPS get medium, caster DPS and healers get light. Nothing is stopping a melee DPS from using heavy armor, but they will do less DPS as a trade off for more survivability. I think that's perfectly reasonable.

• Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    No
    If a 4th tier is added, it should be unarmored. Because it's a TES game. Nothing is heavier than heavy armor.

"New for the mmo version of your favorite single player series...ULTRA heavy armor! "

No thank you.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I dont see why , leaving WoW aside , since i have nothing against that game , i dont see what benefit a new tier of armor would bring this game.

Heavy clearly is already meant to be tanky , if you add even tankier tier after that :P...
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on April 19, 2014 6:16AM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Kemono
    Kemono
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Sleepydan wrote: »
    If a 4th tier is added, it should be unarmored. Because it's a TES game. Nothing is heavier than heavy armor.
    This.
    No "Plate" cos it is against lore.
    And Heavy armor is in fact plate
    And you can overcharge your armor even in medium armor + sword&board + 1 buff

So adding 4th tier of armor have no purpose, even on visual level.
    But seriously
    We want DWEMER and GLASS and maybe BONEMOLD armor styles

dj2yjqy6nx.jpg

best-picture-skyrim-glass-armor-male.jpg

tumblr_mt0zkoxlFB1seyqzco1_1280.jpg

Edited by Kemono on April 19, 2014 6:29AM
  • merfpmerfinton
    merfpmerfinton
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Traditionally in TES games plate armor always falls under heavy.
    What's out of place here is cloth getting its own spec line
    Cloth never had its own line, it was just always considered clothing.

In Morrowind, light armor was leathers, furs and glass.

Medium was scale, chain and bone.

Heavy was the iron, steel, dwarves, etc...

In Oblivion and Skyrim all the medium armor went into the light armor category, except for orcish which became heavy.
  • Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    No

In Oblivion and Skyrim all the medium armor went into the light armor category, except for orcish which became heavy.

In morrowind, there was unarmored which was light armor as we know it now. Made sense, that robe isn't much more than an enchanted dress.

Light armor became medium armor and medium got split between medium and heavy, as best as I can remember. It did streamline things, but it also made sense from a game standpoint.
  • Spriggen
    Spriggen
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No, nein, niet, nej, non, nem, hayir, ei, yo, ara, δεν, ليس, לא.

Oh and if your wondering, They all mean No. If you miss plate so much OP, go back to WoW
    Edited by Spriggen on April 21, 2014 5:51AM
  • grim567
    grim567
    ✭✭
    No
    Kemono wrote: »
    This.

But seriously

dj2yjqy6nx.jpg

I want my glass back!
    What is this nerf you speak of?
  • lajnus86b16_ESO
    There sure needs more active spells and passives, to diffrent you more in the armor you choose. it does impact but i would like to have especially more actives, atleast two espeiclaly for heavy when i tank.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kemono wrote: »
    This.

But seriously

dj2yjqy6nx.jpg

Says that plate, a perfectly normal type of armor already present in TES games, is against lore.
    Shows a picture of a modded "sexy" Dwemer armor.

Uhm.
  • Victus
    Victus
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Suprised this hasn't come up yet but...

considering anyone can mix and match pieces of armor, I believe the Light/Medium/Heavy mechanic as it is works quite well. Want good stamina regen and survivability? Mix medium and heavy. Want to tank but get some passive magicka regen? Throw in some light armor pieces with the heavy. Granted you'll have to spend Skill points in more than one tier if you want the passives, but the option is there.
    Edited by Victus on April 21, 2014 9:29PM
    Throm the First - Redguard Dragon Knight - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Plate is already in the game, it's heavy. I see no reason for another skill line based around armor when there is so much that can/will be added. Such as thieves guild.

If they were to add another armor skill line then glass would be better imo anyway.

For these reasons I vote no.
  • dkrleza
    dkrleza
    Soul Shriven
    No
    Torasi wrote: »
    Silent_Paw wrote: »

It is quite heavy armor, but if you played WoW there was Cloth, Leather, Mail, and Plate. So it would be a fourth tier, it wouldn't necessarily be called "Plate" armor, but it would be a higher level armor.

I don't care about WoW. This is not WoW.

You have 3 tiers of armor. Light, Medium and Heavy. Enough.
  • aisriyth_ESO
    aisriyth_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    'Plate' isn't a skill i'd like to see, heavy has it covered. Breton Heavy = Plate. That being said, I'd love to see unarmored, unarmed, spear, and crossbow add!
  • dividingbyzero
    No
    Don't need any more armor skill lines, the light/medium/heavy dynamic is fine. More styles, yes. More skill lines, no.
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    If it is only for the looks, there are other ways to implement that (like a more free style system; maybe a way to apply styles to specific pieces of armor like you would with dye in other games, more varried "disguises" that look like platearmor).

Right now Heavy Armoris for tanks (every bit of value and every skill from the armor line shouts that). Yet it is not the only thing you need as a good tank. Overcharge hits at about 33% mitigation, hardcap at 50% (but is infeasible to reach)*.
    The role of a Tank in ESO includes stuff other then "have high armor and ocassionally use taunt". It involves blocking, dodgerolling, skilluse.

*Those are not values I aquired myself, they might be wrong.
    Edited by zgrssd on April 24, 2014 7:58AM
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    You lost me at WoW.
    Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • Zanzu
    Zanzu
    No
    Beating the dead horse with a stick for a second. When you can nearly hit soft cap with pure leather armor, and pure heavy armor you're most likely hitting the soft cap for armor values. what on earth would a 4th tier possibly give to us? Why do we need it in the game? You can already mix and match on any class, you have a well rounded set of bonuses across the board for them to where you can build any character the way you'd like to. So why and what would it possibly offer? I could potentially see unarmored.. but that tree would mostly just revolve around giving you the benefits of having armor while not equipping armor so it'd be pointless as well.
  • Beryl
    Beryl
    ✭✭✭
    No
    It is a false assumption to think that everyone knows skills/items/crafts/races/etc from WoW. I have no idea what function Plate armour is supposed to have, so I vote as "No, three armour types are perfect". We have already light armour for casters (magicka users), medium armour for stamina users and heavy armour for tanks (those often prioritize health). Players can have any mix of the above as they wish.
  • Cheatingdeath23
    Cheatingdeath23
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

See, I think there is room for both. The original post framed it improperly, however.

Original lore had clothing (actual clothes), light armor (leathers), medium (chain) and heavy (plate). Here we have light armor (akin to clothing), medium armor (akin to light armor), and heavy (actually heavy).

To rectify this, ESO could add "chainmail armor" that is included (along with existing heavy armor, which I refer to as "plate") in Heavy Armor. However, they can have different effects. For example, plate armor would still operate as it currently does with health regeneration, but chainmail would have stamina regen (instead of having to use medium armor).

That is more historically accurate and fits within Elder Scrolls lore. Blacksmithing would cover both chain and plate, just like clothing covers both light and medium. People would still need to research the traits for chain separately from plate, but that way I don't have to reinvest in leveling up clothing AND blacksmithing to get a good mix of stamina/health regen.

[Short story: Don't add plate, add chain as a step down from current heavy armor, but still fitting within the heavy armor tree and still created using blacksmithing. Chain allows for stamina regen, so that I can have a full 7 piece heavy armor set but have a combination of health and stamina]
    Edited by Cheatingdeath23 on May 7, 2014 5:32PM
  • Cheatingdeath23
    Cheatingdeath23
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Bumping this in the hopes that someone at ESO sees my post-- let's add chainmail as a lower specced "heavy armor" that gives stamina regen.
  • ArgonianAssassin
    ArgonianAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Bumping this in the hopes that someone at ESO sees my post-- let's add chainmail as a lower specced "heavy armor" that gives stamina regen.
    Why should anyone use medium armor if you get the same bonuses from chain and more survivability?
    "It is okay to fear the night, even the bravest warriors are filled with fright, at the sight of the might of Sithis' fang, let the blood be washed away by the rain, let the stains forever remain, another life taken in Sithis' name, another soul for the void. All hail our Dread Father and his consort, the Night Mother." -Stalks-His-Prey