Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

There is a loading screen tool tip that states some books grant quests. Has anyone found one?

vizionblind_ESO
vizionblind_ESO
✭✭✭
Have yet to.
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The only book quest type things I've found are books that add a solo dungeon/torch to your map when you pick them up
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nor me, nor any NPC who added something to my maps. I know ZOS want you to examine hundreds of books and talk to hundreds on NPCs but the 'drop rate' so far is so abysmal I find it hard to continue taking the time to talk to every NPC I meet in the game.
  • Jynai
    Jynai
    If I'm not mistaken, some dungeons could have books to start a quest for said dungeon. I know I picked up a note that gave me a quest once I reached the end of that dungeon. (went in there to get a skyshard)

However, I have not found a book that gives a quest from a bookshelf.
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    I did, but I couldn't tell you now what the name of the book was or where I found it. Somewhere in Grahtwood. I was exploring. I don't recall it being in a bookshelf. I think it was lying out in the open. Sometimes you see books like that; they have a kind of glowy purple aura about them.

At least I can testify that it is an actual thing.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • Jynai
    Jynai
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    I did, but I couldn't tell you now what the name of the book was or where I found it. Somewhere in Grahtwood. I was exploring. I don't recall it being in a bookshelf. I think it was lying out in the open. Sometimes you see books like that; they have a kind of glowy purple aura about them.

At least I can testify that it is an actual thing.

I think purple glowing aura is for lore books
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have found a few that added a dungeon icon to my map and some that start a quest (send me to talk to an NPC). Sorry, I don't remember where exactly.

I've definitely also talked to NPCs without questgiver markers who still started quests.
  • Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only book quest type things I've found are books that add a solo dungeon/torch to your map when you pick them up

I believe they add points of interest as well, not just dungeon torches. I have had an eyeball show up from a note.
  • crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭
    The books I've found that started a quest, had the "Available Quest" marker active over them, and they weren't on a bookshelf or looted.

I have found NPCs that started a quest, but didn't have the "Available Quest" marker.
  • Jynai
    Jynai
    Melian wrote: »
    ...I've definitely also talked to NPCs without questgiver markers who still started quests.

That would be messed up, there is no way I'm going to run around every city/town/camp talking to every single NPC to try and see if they give a quest. I also can't imagine the devs expecting that from players.

Have you checked to see if your UI wasn't bugged and just wasn't showing the quest indicator?
  • Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can turn quest markers for them off. That makes it more challenging… but, I'll pass.
  • crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jynai wrote: »
    ...I've definitely also talked to NPCs without questgiver markers who still started quests.

That would be messed up, there is no way I'm going to run around every city/town/camp talking to every single NPC to try and see if they give a quest. I also can't imagine the devs expecting that from players.

Have you checked to see if your UI wasn't bugged and just wasn't showing the quest indicator?

Maybe the NPCS have different criteria for the quest marker to appear than for the quest to be obtainable? Perhaps, the quest marker is restricted by level, but the quest itself is not? I've definitely experienced it at least twice.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, Aldmeri, in the "Manor" door inside the 1st floor of the Vulkhel bank lies a scroll on a small wooden tray. It's to the left of the bed as you face the bed. It's called "Entila's Folly," and reading it unlocks that area within the game, but only for the character that reads it. I know this because going in there with another of my Aldmeri characters made it unlock again, for the new character. As oppposed to reading the scroll again with the original character, which did nothing subsequent times because Entila's Folly was already unlocked for her from the previous reading.

PS/ Also in Aldmeri I unlocked another area from a book, I think it was on the 2nd floor of a building in the main town, but I can't remember what area was unlocked now because I was rushing around for a quest and doing something else at the time and it surprised me to have that happen. I'll have to check that character's map sometime soon to figure out what it opened up.
    Edited by Thesiren on April 17, 2014 3:59PM
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found at least one such book that I can recall.
    It's in the mines on an island off Glenumbra. Sorry can't remember the mines name at the moment. It starts a quest to speak to the family member of a dead man.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 17, 2014 3:58PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • class101
    class101
    ✭✭✭
    Got two or three, all dropped of Elite monsters on the map (not so Elite difficulty)
  • Foxhunt
    Foxhunt
    ✭✭✭
    I have found a couple books lying around in the world which I have read and discovered a new location/started a quest. I don't remember where I've found them. I believe the ones that discover a new location on your map for you are meant so you will travel there, and find a quest around that area (Not too sure about this).
    Edited by Foxhunt on April 17, 2014 4:01PM
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jynai wrote: »

That would be weird, since it showed all the other quest indicators.

It pleases me that people who don't fully immerse themselves in the game miss quests. :)
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    crush83 wrote: »
    Maybe the NPCS have different criteria for the quest marker to appear than for the quest to be obtainable? Perhaps, the quest marker is restricted by level, but the quest itself is not? I've definitely experienced it at least twice.

Actually, I think it may be something like that. I've seen ones that would still give you their quest, but didn't have a marker if you hadn't done some breadcrumb quest first.