Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Coldharbor Quest - "An Unusual Circumstance" - did I "kill" one of them?

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
(If you haven't done this quest and don't want spoilers, why are you here?)

There was an option for gathering Lamia eggs and then crystal shards to do it without killing any wood elves. OK. I used the wisp trick to sneak past the guardians for the shards but when I grabbed them I was detected. I ran away to avoid killing them. But the wood elf I met never showed as promised for not harming her kin (unless I misunderstood the offer), and there is no quest log to see if I succeeded or failed at the no-kill option. If I did fail, could it be because someone else killed a guardian after I was detected?
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • robertsian87b14_ESO
    robertsian87b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    EXACTLY what happened to me... I'd very much like to understand the same thing... Anyone else able to provide any insight here?
  • elasticbandthetrollb16_ESO
    If you avoided killing any elves, excluded the elders who you indirectly killed, Faraniel will show up in the Hollow City.
  • Voltair
    Voltair
    ✭✭
    I failed this quest despite running from all combat to avoid messing it up. I even sneaked around to grab the eggs.

It was only later thinking back on that whole quest that I realised why I'd failed. I'd been taking damage on two occasions and as I ran from them I healed myself. Seems I also healed someone else in combat who did kill one so...quest failed!
  • Legionary92
    Legionary92
    ✭✭
    Where is she in the Hollow City?
  • Thrawniel
    Thrawniel
    ✭✭✭
    I got detected on eggs as well, but I ran away and she appeared later for me. In city she stands on one of the bridges. And after she helped with final assault.

But you might have failed without killing anyone if you have any group heal/protection skills and you used them on yourself while someone else was around. If that someone was affected by your heal/protection and killed someone, the kill would count for you as well.
  • Tadhg_Longhouse
    Tadhg_Longhouse
    ✭✭✭
    This link might be useful to some of you.

Namely this post:

SARPH
    April 16, 2014 at 12:20 am
    Optional: Faraniel asks you to not kill any Wood Elves for the next parts of the mission, she promises to help you in future if you do so.
    My intention was to do this, however without realizing it I failed the optional part – not by killing NPCs but through dialogue choices. If your intent is to have Faraniel help you out, be very careful in all of your interactions with the Lamia, because simply following the natural progression of their quest while avoiding physically killing wood elves is not enough.
    Tadhg Longhouse
    Reachman Sorcerer
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just for safe i did the quests without killing or hitting a single enemy, i even removed the weapons to avoid errors. everything went well, both getting the eggs and the crystals, but Faraniel never appeared in the end. i don't believe that the secondary quest still works. you win nothing trying it, it only makes you waste time and fights.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, what did everyone make of the original moral choice to side with the Bosmer or the Lamia?

Logic directed me towards the Lamia, since they shadow stalkers had literally made a deal with the devil and had been more active in trying to kill guild members. But it wasn't an easy decision to make, Bosmer are "people" after all, and you work with them a lot questing for the Dominion, up till now, every Lamia I've met has simply been a monster. Siding with monsters indeed.
  • OneTooMany
    OneTooMany
    Soul Shriven
    @jesterstear‌ -
    Out of interest, what did everyone make of the original moral choice to side with the Bosmer or the Lamia?

Logic directed me towards the Lamia, since they shadow stalkers had literally made a deal with the devil and had been more active in trying to kill guild members. But it wasn't an easy decision to make, Bosmer are "people" after all, and you work with them a lot questing for the Dominion, up till now, every Lamia I've met has simply been a monster. Siding with monsters indeed.

In the real world, bears are very aggressive when people are around their young. They will attack on sight. Does that make them monsters? Just because someone doesn't want you near them doesn't make then evil. But someone bowing down to a evil "god" and making a literal deal with the devil does make them evil monsters, even if they look like people.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was pretty much my reasoning for siding with the Lamias. I did have to abandon the quest in order to meet the not kill any goal met. And yes you do have to read the dialogue with the Lamias pretty carefully and actually think about some of the choices to meet that goal.
  • ContraTempo
    ContraTempo
    ✭✭✭✭

Strategically, depriving Molag Bal of allies makes sense. The Lamia already hate him.
    ContraTempo
    Carpe DM
    Seize the Dungeon Master