Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I've discovered why I love this game so much

SadisticSavior
SadisticSavior
✭✭✭
I think back to launch and something has occurred to me...I can't remember a single time I have come across a dark elf character named Drizzt

...or Dr1zt
...or Drizzet
...or Drezzt
...or Drizzzit
...or Drezz1t

And there are no panther pets in this game.

This game deserves 5 stars for that alone.
  • MysticAura
    MysticAura
    ✭✭✭
    Now would be the wrong time to say I want a panther familiar. Nothing to do with anything other than just liking sleek big cats though.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    Lol.

I remember when WoW came out and a couple of days in I saw a NE character named "Leggomyeggolas".
  • Applemoth
    Applemoth
    ✭✭
    Lol.

I remember when WoW came out and a couple of days in I saw a NE character named "Leggomyeggolas".

I've just seen a (male) character called Legolass. I was half tempted to make a female character called Legolad and follow him around for a while.
  • Vraok
    Vraok
    Applemoth wrote: »
    Lol.

I've just seen a (male) character called Legolass. I was half tempted to make a female character called Legolad and follow him around for a while.

He wouldn't have gotten the pun anyway.

/e what about dark elves named drizzt? The only reference I could come up with is the character Drizzle who appears in the book Erebos.
    Edited by Vraok on April 17, 2014 3:40AM
  • Tetujin
    Tetujin
    ✭✭✭
    My favorite was a gnome named Gnomechomsky.
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    Vraok wrote: »
    Lol.

/e what about dark elves named drizzt? The only reference I could come up with is the character Drizzle who appears in the book Erebos.

Drizzt is a recurring character in the Drangon Lance books.
    Edited by Lazarus_Long on April 17, 2014 4:22AM
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • SirPuppingtonVonHat
    SirPuppingtonVonHat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some context:

Drizzt Do'Urden (commonly referred to as just Drizzt) is a popular/much-maligned character from R.A. Salvatores "Legend of Drizzt" series, which takes place in the popular Forgotten Realms setting of Dungeon and Dragons. In this series, Drizzt starts out as a well thought out and three dimensional protagonist that has real issues and overcomes challenges by using his wits as much as his sword; however, after the first three books he quickly devolves into a mary-sue power-fantasy that many young players of D&D have been known to latch on to. This created an army of Drizzt-clones that players would try to play in games of D&D; characters that were a rote replication of the character from the novels, complete with stupidly high levels of power and special-snowflakeness turned up to 11. These players (in many of the stories you hear, anyway) were often lacking in the maturity and intelligence departments, which made playing any sort of social and productive game with them nearly impossible. Hence, why the OP is glad that he's not seeing any of that here.

TVTropes has a few good articles on him.
    The Psijic Order
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that is a pretty accurate summary. Drizzt's series was the first to give a detailed look at Dark Elf Culture. Dark Elves were fascinating and disturbing in a new way (sadism/masochism, incest, homosexuality, slavery, ect...) while still being "Dungeons and Dragon-y". After the first few books the main character got old. Drizzt himself devolved into a 2 dimensional hero. Since Neverwinter, it has gotten even worse.

Some of the other dark elf characters were a lot more interesting actually. My favorite fantasy series of all time is the War of the Spider Queen series, and Drizzt doesn't even appear in that at all. (Have to give Salvatore credit for that...he headed that project and pulled all the talent together). It has several characters that debuted in Drizzt's series.

Anyone who has not read that yet should do so...it is so full of awesome on so many levels. It is not centered around one character. It reads like an epic movie.
    characters that were a rote replication of the character from the novels, complete with stupidly high levels of power and special-snowflakeness turned up to 11.
    LOL...god that last part is so true.

So many people played the character that it became it's own parody. How can you be a special snowflake when half the server looks just like you? It always seemed so pointless to me.

• SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    He's actually the star character of the Forgotten Realms books (well, unless you count Elminster, who is himself a Gandalf clone, but I think Drizzt is way more popular).

I'd actually recommend reading the first series if you havn't already. It's not awful in the beginning. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Elf_Trilogy
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    It is actually comforting to know there are people who don't know who Drizzt is. This is the first fantasy MMO I have ever played where that has been true.
    all_drow_are_drizzt_1654.jpg
    Edited by SadisticSavior on April 17, 2014 3:07PM
  • scruffycavetroll
    scruffycavetroll
    ✭✭✭
    Vraok wrote: »
    Lol.

Dark Elf Trilogy

forgotten realms, wrong D&D world : D
    Edited by scruffycavetroll on April 17, 2014 3:20PM
  • ConquerorDromtar
    Instead of Drizzt and Legolas clones ESO's turned into Game of Clones..er Thrones, uh, clones.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely see any good names that remind of decent things.

I was in a PvP raid with Miley Cyrus and Hannah Montana...... names like that I see everywhere.

Although I did chuckle at Samwell Jackson.