Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

fps drops in AvA

tommipalub16_ESO
tommipalub16_ESO
✭✭✭
Well as the title says, i have serious fps drops in AvA. The drops start as soon as many players are in view. anybode any idea how to fix that?
Im running on 55 fps outside of areas where many players appear.
Then they drop to about 25 :( it does not matter if my settings are medium or low. they always drop to about 25. shadows, gras, reflection etc everything is turned off.

konfig:
phenom x4 955 3,22
8 gb ram
win 7 64bit
Ati hd 6670

i know its not the newest setup, but i think it should run at least a little bit smoother.
  • Jynai
    Jynai
    Your CPU needs an upgrade. Which means you will have to upgrade your motherboard.

I would also suggest upgrading your graphics card, but that's not necessary to improve your FPS as long as you keep some of the settings turned off (like you mentioned you have already).
  • Zorak
    Zorak
    ✭✭✭
    Jynai wrote: »
    Your CPU needs an upgrade. Which means you will have to upgrade your motherboard.

I would also suggest upgrading your graphics card, but that's not necessary to improve your FPS as long as you keep some of the settings turned off (like you mentioned you have already).

+1

• tommipalub16_ESO
    tommipalub16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    thanks!
  • tommipalub16_ESO
    tommipalub16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    the mianboards socket is am3+ .. istn this also ne socket of newer generation cpu?
  • Jynai
    Jynai
    Not very familiar with AMD products, I've only built and used systems with Intel, but I'm pretty sure am3+ is old, there is a couple of new generation of motherboards.

I recommend going with an Intel z77 (or z87, the most recent) motherboard with an Intel i5 CPU. This will give you a huge boost in performance.

Of course you can also go with an Intel i7 CPU, but that's not necessary, you will not notice any difference in gaming.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Theoretically an AM3+ can run the AMD FX series which isn't so bad and not that old ;)

But I am afraid the OP only has an AM2+ or an AM3.

You can see this if you open your case. A black socket is an AM3+, while white is AM3. You will need the modified AM3 (+) to run the FX CPU´s, while your Phenom would also run in an AM3+ just fine.

Problem with AMD CPU´s however is, that they require an optimized software to run at a similar speed & performance as intels as the single core power is not that great. There are some patches that help, but seeing that TESO is not multicore optimized, going with AMD is probably not the best idea - that said, we never know when ZO rolls out a client fix and if the OP goes for a new AMD card like the 270x, he will benefit greatly from mantle as this is going to give players a massive boost on their AMD CPU´s.

In general, Intels 2500 is the best CPU on the market based on price / performance. If you want to overclock you can go for the "K" edition (you would require a Z mainboard then if you go for Asrock which is my recommendation).

No game will be CPU limited if you have such a CPU in your rig, that said in 1 or 2 years that might change, or it might not. ;)

As for the OP issue with AvA.

Don't underestimate the ping to the US server. I assume you play from Europe right? I am quite confident that the location for EU players is not optimal if it comes to mass battles. A lot of information must reach your end, if you run with a 200 ping as most Europeans do, you can get into situations where other players just appear very late or "fly" through the map. Your PC just doesn't get the information fast enough, so it appears to be lagging.

This also happens if you run addons that check for buffs on your enemies, as more enemies as more buffs to check, if your "ms" now is very low so that your addon refreshes very often, you will notice a lag as well.

Possible fixes right now:

Since you run an AMD card, you can go full on performance in your Catalyst control center. The game wont look bad because of it, but take away some stress from your system.

Since you run Windows 7, run the core fix by AMD. You can find it on the Microsoft website, but make sure it supports your CPU (I am not sure right now if its only for FX so be aware)
  • tommipalub16_ESO
    tommipalub16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    thanks again!
  • yetskiiub17_ESO
    Audigy wrote: »
    Theoretically an AM3+ can run the AMD FX series which isn't so bad and not that old ;)

But I am afraid the OP only has an AM2+ or an AM3.

You can see this if you open your case. A black socket is an AM3+, while white is AM3. You will need the modified AM3 (+) to run the FX CPU´s, while your Phenom would also run in an AM3+ just fine.

Problem with AMD CPU´s however is, that they require an optimized software to run at a similar speed & performance as intels as the single core power is not that great. There are some patches that help, but seeing that TESO is not multicore optimized, going with AMD is probably not the best idea - that said, we never know when ZO rolls out a client fix and if the OP goes for a new AMD card like the 270x, he will benefit greatly from mantle as this is going to give players a massive boost on their AMD CPU´s.

Snip the Intel fanboi stuff

Running FX9350 overclocked with a 9770. Game runs just fine on Ultra