Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Templar Build -- Can I do it?

Osirus
Osirus
So I got the game yesterday and I'm only at level 8 but I'm loving it. This is the first MMO where I've felt genuinely challenged and unconcerned with getting to max level because there is so much to do.

However, I'm primarily a solo player so DPS and SURVIVABILITY are my main concerns not only for End Game Content but also as I level and continue my journey.

What I'd like to make ideally, is a Templar that plays as a caster (with a staff and distance and all that Mage stuff) and wears Heavy Armor. Basically a Mage, but I want the healing spells too. Is this viable? I know you could say just roll a sorc but I'm enjoying myself as is right now, or, honestly, I was, until some quest from the Queen let a ghost lady murder me repeatedly, now I'm frustrated (Not nerd rage frustrated, just regular) and I'm going to keep on working on beating her.

Right now I'm rocking a resto staff, heavy armor and the first 2 spells from the Templar offensive spells, 2 heals, and that is basically my bar for now. So, again, can this be done and remain formidable for solo play?
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    You are going to run out of mana very fast without light armor and their passives.
    Edited by SexyVette07 on April 16, 2014 11:18AM
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Templars have ranged fire damage spells inherent in the class lines. However, I do not why you'd want to be in heavy armour. If it's for the look, I'd suggest taking heavy armour for your chestpiece (after a few levels, most look almost like 3/4 plate anyway). You want most of your pieces to be light for the magicka regen and other bonuses.

Short answer, yes, do what you like.
  • Spryt
    Spryt
    ✭✭
    For solo I use light armour with a bow. 1 main bow single target skill, 1 bow aoe. Then the templar Sun flare for damage and snare and Javelin to knock and interupt. For last slot I use a templar heal or regen skill.

But I think you can use and mix any skills really as long as you have some balance between dps, support and cc.
  • Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    ABSOLUTELY you can!

I have a heavy armor wearing (full set) Templar and he's a beast. Good DPS with excellent survivability. You could go destruction staff, but I opted to go sword and board for the extra damage mitigation and non magika source of DPS. I lay into them with light spells and if there's anything left I finish them off with the sword.

I have a resto staff on swap (weapon swapping available at level 15), with mostly healing spells on that bar, so if things get rough I can swap over and sling a few heals... though I mostly just the resto staff's HoT (Heal over Time) and swap back.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing stopping you from using heavy armor, whoever said you will ran out of magicka(yes, its not mana;p) without having light armor is very wrong. I have heavy templar healer/ranged dps/support, using only 2 pieces of light armor, and not for bonus, to level up armor line.

Restoration staff heavy attack returning 10% of your max magicka is more then enough to avoid any out of magicka situations. Healed all dungeons, also healing all time in PVP, and i dont have a smallest problem. Also regen pots are only 30 sec cooldown so...

Looks like you OP are looking for build similar to mine. Here is link to builds, i posted mine as well, but there are some others nice build to look at. Maybe some parts of it will help you make your decision.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/78474/templars-post-your-builds#latest

edit:wrong link sorry, fixed now
    Edited by Mortuum on April 16, 2014 6:43PM
  • Thralgaf
    Thralgaf
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like you want a medium/light armored Templar using bow and resto staff. I have the same build. I am going down restoring light and dawns wrath as far as Templar skills, all of the resto staff line, and all of bow. When questing I run 5/2 medium light armor, and when group dungeons 5 light 2 medium. If I were you I would reconsider the heavy armor-it just doesn't synergies with what you want to do. You will find your majika severely depleted, especially when healing. Unfortunately, Templars don't have much in the way of majika regen outside of resto staff and light armor.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sure can! Use a destro staff in one slot and resto staff in the other. You can use the heavy resto staff hit to restore mana if you burn it all up using the destro abilities/dawn's wrath.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can combine the various armor types, there is no need to stick to one armor class, the game actually wants you to use various pieces.

I would just play how You want to play. Unless you raid with a guild, everything should be viable and even in a guild exotic specs shouldn't be a reason for lack of progress.

TESO isn't like wow, where you must go one way and only this way works. You can walk many paths and still succeed.
  • Osirus
    Osirus
    Thanks for the help guys. The reason I want a heavy armor wearer is because I like the idea, no other reason really. I've always liked that battlemage kinda character, and to me personally a Templar is a holy warrior who should be decked out in plate. I've always played TES for the roleplay aspect, and while I can't really roleplay here per se, I still like to do things for myself. The idea of this dude walking up in heavy plate and a staff, only to decimate the place is amazing to me.

I'd heard you could do what you wanted in ESO, but I honestly wasn't sure if that was just one of those selling points that companies use to get you to buy their game, like when all that hype for Fable started and then it came out and people were like, "I can't do whatever I want", so I wanted to make sure that if I did what I wanted, I wasn't painting myself into a corner or anything like that.

Thank you again guys, I greatly appreciate the previous input, and any new input that is given. I'm a former WoW player and this game is an amazing breath of fresh air.
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 pieces of light armor is simply the superior choice in this case.

I facepalm myself each time I see a DPS or healer in heavy armor. But hey. Live and let live.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you mainly play solo I would drop the restoration staff and pick up a destruction staff. The class healing skills are enough for healing yourself.
    [DC/NA]
  • Aellikor
    Aellikor
    ✭✭
    ElliottXO wrote: »

I facepalm myself each time I see a DPS or healer in heavy armor. But hey. Live and let live.

Being an Elder Scrolls game, no armor decision should be a face palm in ESO. Play what you want. :)

I run 7 light with Resto Staff and Mace/Shield, as that is what I like. It fits my personal Cleric theme. Yet, I believe there are enough options, especially solo gameplay, that you can make any choice work for you.

Screw efficiencies, what's best, and min/max - it's how we ended up with this homogenized quicksand of a genre in the first place. We need personality, quirks, and weaknesses.

Wear Heavy Armor as a Healer, get some good food/drink, regen rings. Use Resto Staff and switch out to weapon of choice. Add Repentance to bar for free heals around dead things. ESO provides enough options to balance out your decisions. Gear set attributes, passives, all kinds of possibilities. Be unconventional, find your style, its fun.

Edited by Aellikor on April 17, 2014 2:46AM
  • Vorpedagel
    Vorpedagel
    ✭✭✭
    The answer is YES. You can. Build however the hell you want - just find your style and you can make it work in this game with the right attribute distribution :)
  • Sallakat
    Sallakat
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going for mainly healing on my templar but I have run solo now for leveling veteran rank. And the veteran quests are harder than normal leveling imo.

I'm rolling in 5 pieces light and 2 pieces heavy just to keep my magicka to a decent level and get nice passive benefits. And to help things even further I took a bow as a second weapon. I'm a Nord Templar so I don't have great magicka benefits out of my race, that's why gotta use everything I have otherwise. Bow skills use stamina, so when I'm low on magicka I use some bow skills and then back to magicka skills.

When running solo, make sure you have enough AOE skills in your skill bar. You only need one skill bar anyways while questing so I have picked 4 DPS skills + 1 insta heal skills + a DPS ultimate skill. I'm currently switching between a World skill line ultimate and Nova. Nova I use when I'm dealing with mostly difficult mobs and Soul Magic ultimate to deal mostly with bosses.

And yeah, basically you can do whatever the hell you want in the game but to be really successful and have a smooth gaming experience I still say there are some things you should do in a certain way.
    Edited by Sallakat on April 17, 2014 6:51AM
    Rebuilt - Aldmeri Dominion

Kaia Linnea - templar
    Ruusu - sorcerer
    Aino - nightblade
  • KTLeander
    KTLeander
    ✭✭
    I also have a question to this subject.

I'm doing an Imperial Templar build...trying to mimic the idea of Holy Paladin. I'm using 1-heavy/3-medium/3-light gear and my points are distributed M40%/H20%/S40%. Depending on if I go deeper to Dawns Wrath or 2-hand melee the M/S distribution might change. My skills are distributed so that I start with Dawns Wrath skills and charge in with 2-hand melee skills with one added healing skill for self-heals. I'm only lvl8 so far, but my char is a total beast. 1-on-1 I kill all npc my level in seconds and even if they hit me I can heal myself really good.

So the question is for high level players: Em I going to a too general build to play end-game instances?
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    You can make it happen, but it will not be the most effective. Like many others, if you wish to be a caster, then you should consider using light armor mostly and then maybe few other pieces since light armor has necessary bonuses if you want to be a caster specifically.

If you however want to be a battlemage, then take notion that you can use your setup but you will only be able to use few spells and then you have to melee for a while which can be bad depending on the situation.

But if you thought you would be spamming abilities somewhat and then melee a little, then consider at least few of those light armors to increase your magicka power and regeneration
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    KTLeander wrote: »

I'm doing an Imperial Templar build...trying to mimic the idea of Holy Paladin. I'm using 1-heavy/3-medium/3-light gear and my points are distributed M40%/H20%/S40%. Depending on if I go deeper to Dawns Wrath or 2-hand melee the M/S distribution might change. My skills are distributed so that I start with Dawns Wrath skills and charge in with 2-hand melee skills with one added healing skill for self-heals. I'm only lvl8 so far, but my char is a total beast. 1-on-1 I kill all npc my level in seconds and even if they hit me I can heal myself really good.

So the question is for high level players: Em I going to a too general build to play end-game instances?

I think you can be fine with this setup though what might be a concern is that will you be able to switch to healing tree with your alternative weapon since it might become quite a hard deed. I can not tell since both of my own builds for switching a weapon feature at least one heal in case of emergency.
  • KTLeander
    KTLeander
    ✭✭
    BETAOPTICS wrote: »

I think you can be fine with this setup though what might be a concern is that will you be able to switch to healing tree with your alternative weapon since it might become quite a hard deed. I can not tell since both of my own builds for switching a weapon feature at least one heal in case of emergency.

To clear up. When I hit 15 and get the weapon swap...do I get to redistribute my skillpoints for that weapon also?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    To clear up. When I hit 15 and get the weapon swap...do I get to redistribute my skillpoints for that weapon also?

You get a second action bar with 5 slots and an ultimate. So you can put whatever you want on there. You don't get additional skillpoints to spend just by getting that bar. Merely more room to put active abilities.

You can refund all your skillpoints in the second big leveling zone (which is usually around or just after 15) for gold.
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aellikor wrote: »

Being an Elder Scrolls game, no armor decision should be a face palm in ESO. Play what you want. :)

I run 7 light with Resto Staff and Mace/Shield, as that is what I like. It fits my personal Cleric theme. Yet, I believe there are enough options, especially solo gameplay, that you can make any choice work for you.

Screw efficiencies, what's best, and min/max - it's how we ended up with this homogenized quicksand of a genre in the first place. We need personality, quirks, and weaknesses.

Wear Heavy Armor as a Healer, get some good food/drink, regen rings. Use Resto Staff and switch out to weapon of choice. Add Repentance to bar for free heals around dead things. ESO provides enough options to balance out your decisions. Gear set attributes, passives, all kinds of possibilities. Be unconventional, find your style, its fun.

That is all good and great as long as you play solo and don't affect others. But at the end of the day you don't want to get to the last dungeon boss to find out you can't finish him.

This is the point when suddenly everyone cares for efficiency. And that's good, otherwise there would be no challenge at all.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is all good and great as long as you play solo and don't affect others. But at the end of the day you don't want to get to the last dungeon boss to find out you can't finish him.

This is the point when suddenly everyone cares for efficiency. And that's good, otherwise there would be no challenge at all.

You're talking about two completely different things. There's being efficient, and being unable to do something. They're not the same.

It's pretty common unfortunately, people also confuse Optimal with Viable.
    Edited by Shimond on April 17, 2014 12:44PM
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »

You're talking about two completely different things. There's being efficient, and being unable to do something. They're not the same.

It's pretty common unfortunately, people also confuse Optimal with Viable.

These are just wordings. You are putting different labels on it and saying my labels were not right.

If you need an 'efficient' build to finish a group dungeon but you only have a 'viable' one (e.g. healer in heavy armor ), then this is where the 'be who you want to be' party ends.

At the end of the day people want to finish it, and if they can't they start looking for reasons.

PS you can exchange efficient and viable with whatever words you prefer.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    These are just wordings. You are putting different labels on it and saying my labels were not right.

If you need an 'efficient' build to finish a group dungeon but you only have a 'viable' one (e.g. healer in heavy armor ), then this is where the 'be who you want to be' party ends.

At the end of the day people want to finish it, and if they can't they start looking for reasons.

PS you can exchange efficient and viable with whatever words you prefer.

Words have pretty clear definitions. I mean if you're confused, there's always a dictionary.

Again you're making the claim that viable is unable to complete a dungeon. This is simply not true. The very definition of the word viable means it is capable of doing it.
    Edited by Shimond on April 17, 2014 1:32PM
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    Genuine question then - you're saying that a dedicated healer should be in light armour (like traditional MMOs).

The restoration staff being compulsory I can understand , the power restore and the extra, power efficient healing skills seem too good to ignore, but surely with jewellery and items with -power cost and +regen you can be ok in 5 heavy 2 light?

Doesn't the healer draw quite a lot of agro given the lack of aoe taunts, therefore they need some armour to stay alive?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Genuine question then - you're saying that a dedicated healer should be in light armour (like traditional MMOs).

The restoration staff being compulsory I can understand , the power restore and the extra, power efficient healing skills seem too good to ignore, but surely with jewellery and items with -power cost and +regen you can be ok in 5 heavy 2 light?

Doesn't the healer draw quite a lot of agro given the lack of aoe taunts, therefore they need some armour to stay alive?

Since they have soft caps (overcharge) in just about everything, yes you can absolutely make up for deficiencies via enchants. If you went Breton for example and equipped all 7 pieces of light armor and took all the light and racial passives you'd already be overcharging your magica restore (this is something I actually experienced a lot leveling).
  • the1andonlypzb14_ESO
    This is something I posted in another thread. It's a bit lengthy, but I'm a Heavy Armor Templar who uses a lot of magicka as well. I do run out quite a bit, but you can use a stamina based weapon as your off-hand to offset it.

Oh, and it takes a lot to drain all my mana in a Resto Staff healing situation. As long as you continuously use the staff attack during times of low damage you should find it pretty hard to run out of mana. Just pump out some spells till you get short of mana - resto staff your mana back up - then pump out some more spells. Rinse and repeat.
    I've been messing around with different skills and rotations and the like for awhile now. I just hit level 30 and have tried a multitude of efforts that include the Sword and Shield model for one set, and then various other weapons for the second set.

Right now, I'm trying to balance the number of stamina skills and magicka skills to try and better my fighting a little. Running out of magicka becomes an issue for me, especially during chain events where the fighting is constant.

My goal is to be an effective healer, tank or dps player. A jack of all skills if you will. I've definitely put more skill and attribute points into the magicka/healing side of things ... so I'm still searching for that perfect balance, but I'll go over what I have so far and where I'm looking to go.

Attributes:
    18 Magicka (goal of 20)
    5 Health (goal of 10)
    5 Stamina (goal of 20)

Weapons:
    1. Sword and Shield
    2. Healing Staff

Skill Bar Sets:

Set 1 - Damage / Tanking
    This set is the main set I use when soloing or doing chain events / public dungeons. It focuses on AoE damage mostly, with a powerful single target magic ability for tougher single target mobs.
    • Slot 1 - Spear Shards / Blazing Spear - Aedric Spear Tree
      I start with Spear Shards ability morphed to Blazing Spear for a stun, rather than disorientation. This opener gets some initial aoe dmg and crowd control on the mobs before rushing in. I like it as an opener because you have control as to where the damage goes. If you're looking to nab two groups at once, just be sure to get them both inside the circle. It also helps if you have a friend as they can initiate the synergy and get boosted stamina ... especially helpful if traveling with a Nightblade or 2h Templar.
    • Slot 2 - Shield Charge / Shield Assault - One Hand and Shield Tree
      After launching the initial AoE damage, I rush in with Shield Charge morphed to Shield Assault for the damage shield allowing better survivability. This also knocks the enemy down, now leaving 1 enemy stunned from Blazing Spear and another knocked down from Shield Assault... leaving only 1 enemy to attack you while you have a damage shield now active.
    • Slot 3 - Puncturing Stikes / Biting Jabs - Aedric Spear Tree
      This is the bread and butter AoE skill of the Aedric Spear tree. I've morphed it into the Biting Jabs skill, which increases Crit against low health targets. I've found the morph to be pretty effective, considering the damage that's already done with the first two spells - most times you'll find your mobs to be at half health or less (depending on the Blazing Spear crit) by the time you hit this skill.
    • Slot 4 - Solar Flare / Solar Barrage - Dawn's Wrath Tree
      Right now I just have Solar Flare, so I use this spell mostly for single target high health targets. Due to it's 1.5 second cast time, it really doesn't fit too well into the rotation at this point. However, I'm banking on this skill being a much bigger part of the rotation once I morph it into Solar Barrage, which takes away the cast time and does AoE damage to surrounding targets. I'm hoping it will be a great addition to the AoE rotation, but haven't had the opportunity to test it yet.
    • Slot 5 - Rotation of Skills
      This slot I'm still trying to figure out. For most fights, I keep an emergency heal here in case I don't have enough time to switch to my off-hand. For this, I use Rushed Ceremony morphed to Breath of Life from the Restoring Light tree. I find it to be the most effective instant heal available from that tree, despite it's expensive costs (keep your mana potions ready). Another option from the same tree, Restoring Aura, increases your Health and Stamina regeneration by 15% just for being on your hot bar - which is boosted to 80% for 9 seconds when activated.

Other options I've considered would be a stamina skill - which would have to come from the One Hand and Shield Tree. Right now it's a toss up. Puncture morphed to Ransack provides a threat spell in case I run into a situation where I'm relied on to tank. Low Slash morphed to Crippling Slash is a great low cost kiting spell for getting away from trouble. Power Bash morphed to Power Slam is there, but it does less damage than Crippling Slash, costs more stamina, and has a lesser CC duration.

So another option, after perusing the skill trees, seems to stem from the Mages Guild tree. Entropy looks like a great possibility to throw in the mix, possibly before even charging in. It is a damage over time effect that also heals the player, and can be morphed into Degeneration, which has a 15% chance on hit with a weapon attack to heal player for 100% of damage caused. This sounds so OP it's not even funny, but if it's effective, I can't see why I wouldn't just toss it on my bar for the chance to get heals from my weapon attacks.
    • Ultimate - Radial Sweep / Crescent Sweep - Aedric Spear Tree
      I love Radial Sweep morphed to Crescent Sweep so much. It is an absolute monster of damage output and an all around life saver if you're ever in a bind. It has a really low ultimate cost, allowing you to activate it often, and does a massive amount of AoE damage, especially once morphed. Crescent Sweep adds "deals more damage to foes in front of you" ... so as long as you keep those enemies in front of you, you will watch the damage flowww.

Set 2 - Healing
    My off-hand set is pure healing. I grab the healing staff for mana regeneration upon use, as well as it's great healing spell options. There's a lot of work yet to be done on this set - I have quite a few Restoration Staff spells I haven't tried, or haven't unlocked yet - so I'm still experimenting with a good mix of healing spells for this action bar set.
    • Slot 1 - Rushed Ceremony / Breath of Life - Restoring Light Tree
      This is the starter spell for this class tree, but remains enormously effective, even at level 30... and I'm sure up to level 50. The Magicka cost is high though - so it's more useful during periods of high damage or emergency situations. Morphing Rushed Ceremony to Breath of Life causes the spell to heal 3 targets rather than just 1 - making it even more effective.
    • Slot 2 - Healing Ritual / Ritual of Rebirth - Restoring Light Tree
      Another low level skill from this tree - this will be your first AoE heal unlocked without having to morph it. It's 2 second cast time is a real downer, but you can reduce it to 1.7 seconds by morphing it to Ritual of Rebirth. I typically use this during those moments when everyone needs a little bit of healing ... sometimes you can time it with incoming damage to offset the damage taken by your allies.
    • Slot 3 - Regeneration / Rapid Regeneration - Restoration Staff Tree
      Right now I do not have this skill morphed, but increasing the ticks and duration of the spell will be a huge help when I finally do. Regeneration is your best option for a Heal over Time spell. I'll find myself casting this prior to a fight or when I see AoE damage circles pop up on the map. Not everyone is great at getting out of them, but you can help yourself out by adding a HoT to your nearby allies - helping to negate the damage.
    • Slot 4 - Restoring Aura / Radiant Aura - Restoring Light Tree
      Restoring Aura is not a Heal over Time - but it almost acts like one, and is an extremely good support spell for your team. This spell increases the regeneration rates for Health and Stamina on you and your allies - allowing teammates to output more damage and stay alive longer. I morphed it to Radiant Aura to increase the radius, and because the other morph option didn't seem too dependable. Even better, it increases your health and stamina regeneration by 15% just by being on your hot bar ... which is why it's a solid option to keep on your slot 1 bar as well.
    • Slot 5 - Rotation of Skills
      Skill set 1 had this as rotational, and skill set 2 is no different. Choosing that last skill is never easy... and often I start questioning the other skills on my hot bar for skills that may fit here. Do I go with another healing spell or a damage spell? I'm more inclined to go healing ... but what about another support spell like Cleansing Ritual that provides an AoE heal and a Synergy option that removes a negative effect from allies?

Along the same lines as Cleansing Ritual is the Undaunted Skill - Blood Altar - which increases health regeneration and provides a Blood Funnel synergy, allowing allies to activate a Heal over Time effect on themselves.

The Restoration Staff tree also has more great abilities like Grand Healing that puts a target area on the ground for players to heal up in. There's also Force Siphon which gains allies health when attacking the target.

Filling all the slots on the healing bar with the right skills could be the difference between life and death honestly - which makes creating this rotation even more nerve racking!
    • Ultimate - Rite of Passage / Practiced Incantation
      This ultimate ability provides an outstanding AoE heal which can instantly bring a near death group back to full health in almost an instant. Morph it to Practiced Incantation to increase the length of the spell for even greater healing effectiveness.

Wow - so I'm not going to even get into the passive effects, considering I already wrote a book here. I hope my strategy helps some of you out, and I'm always looking for tips if anyone would like to contribute (I'm sure some of you will).

Also, I know that spreading myself thin may not be the most effective method for my character, but it's how I enjoy playing the game - so telling me things like "focus on one skill line" or " that's a stupid strategy" really aren't constructive... but thanks for wasting everyone's time if you choose to post them anyways.

Edited by the1andonlypzb14_ESO on April 17, 2014 2:20PM
  • spyritwind
    I'd go 5 light and two heavy (heavy chest plate for sure and either heavy helmet for a knight look, or heavy legs for maximum protection). One of your weapons should use stamina (bow or sword and board most likely, but two hander would be fun) and a staff for the other. One poster suggested going light/med which isn't a bad idea either although it wont have the look you are going for. There are many ways to balance out a weakness in this game. Roll with what you want for now to level up solo to have fun; you can respec later and add enchantments to end game gear if you want to group up.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »

Since they have soft caps (overcharge) in just about everything, yes you can absolutely make up for deficiencies via enchants. If you went Breton for example and equipped all 7 pieces of light armor and took all the light and racial passives you'd already be overcharging your magica restore (this is something I actually experienced a lot leveling).

My character is a 5 heavy 2 light armour, sword and board Templar tank, with the restoring light skill line. The restoration staff is slotted as a secondary weapon.

I've got a plan that in a large pull of adds , rather than try tank them all, to just swap to staff and heal. If I pull agro, then i'll be relieved to have that heavy armour. Magika doesn't last because I haven't stacked it and aren't wearing much light gear, but that should only become an issue during a long boss fight , when i'll be tanking.

I've never used my healing staff in anger however and am not confident in my efficacy, usually chicken out after a couple of panicky button mashes and swap back to the shield spamming ransack...
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭

Only means you have 0 idea about classes and what to use and when. Player with good rotation and some knowledge will have no problem with magicka, even if he is templar without any regen/exchange skills, using full heavy armor.

But by your comment i guess you are ''spam heal all time green bar cant drop below 99%'' player instead of ''I heal when it is needed''... If you know class a bit, pay attention to its skills, and keep an eye on group HP values to know when use what you will know what i am talking about. But you dont so...

• ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortuum wrote: »

Only means you have 0 idea about classes and what to use and when. Player with good rotation and some knowledge will have no problem with magicka, even if he is templar without any regen/exchange skills, using full heavy armor.

But by your comment i guess you are ''spam heal all time green bar cant drop below 99%'' player instead of ''I heal when it is needed''... If you know class a bit, pay attention to its skills, and keep an eye on group HP values to know when use what you will know what i am talking about. But you dont so...

No it means I can read and understand that anyone who is not a tank simply wastes armor passives when using heavy armor. And if zenimax would provide the actual number for damage reduction, then people might become aware that it's hardly worth it.

And if your player with his good rotation would switch to light or medium armor he would have a better resource management providing him more options to either heal damage or mitigate damage before it even occurs, which is the master discipline. But hey, he can also just stand there in his heavy armor doing nothing but waiting for his magicka to return.

I play DK tank by the way. And I only had to give up one time a dungeon. Guess why? We were not able to kill the boss spawns in time before he spawned new ones. One of our DPS had heavy armor ;-)

But hey. Might've been a coincidence I guess.