Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Buying weapons from vendors is the way to go?

soulclaw
soulclaw
✭✭✭
A character got to level 12 and while selling gorp at a weapon vendor I noticed that the weapons on sale were much better than anything I had found while questing. My sword at the time was damage 24 but the ones the vendor was selling were damage 30 were usable at level 12. I found an armour vendor and replaced my shield as well with one that was much better also.

Is this how the game is supposed to be played?
Edited by soulclaw on April 16, 2014 3:22AM
Sweetie, can you show us on the doll where the bad man from Blizzard touched you?

• ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't bought a weapon at a vendor yet. My quest rewards and drops are plenty fine.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I craft just about all of my gear.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • soulclaw
    soulclaw
    ✭✭✭
    What level skill do you need to make damage 30 weapons?
    Sweetie, can you show us on the doll where the bad man from Blizzard touched you?

• Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    soulclaw wrote: »

What level is your toon? I'll make you a sword or whatever weapon you need. No charge
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Iseldiera
    Iseldiera
    In any mmo including ESO, the vendor loot is always a bad bargain. A similar lvl item can be bought from a player for much less the cost. You should be finding chests completing quests and killing mobs for your primary gear needs. Sure the vendor is there but you will not be saving any money in long term.

In short no this is not the way :)
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can make anywhere from level 1 to level 14 weapons and armor without putting a single skill point into blacksmithing, clothing, or woodworking. To make level 16-24 you need to put one point into whichever type of crafting you're using.

Currently my character is level 17, and I've got 3 points in crafting: one in woodworking tier 2, one in blacksmithing tier 2, and one in clothing tier 2. That lets me make all of the equipment I need for myself.

Best part is that it's free - I find the materials to make gear while I'm out doing quests and levelling and exploring, and those materials go straight into making gear. I can make the gear that I want, with the appearance that I want, without having to buy it from a vendor. So far I've collected every racial motif except imperial (and minus the 'special' motifs like daedric or barbaric), so I can make my weapons and armor in 9 different aesthetics.

PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, i usually get much better armor and weapons from locked chests.

From my experience, loot quality goes something like this (worst to best):

- Quest rewards
    - Mob loot
    - Vendor items
    - Locked chest loot
    - Crafted items
    - Group dungeon boss mob loot

;-)
    Edited by SirAndy on April 16, 2014 3:42AM
  • soulclaw
    soulclaw
    ✭✭✭
    Iseldiera wrote: »
    In any mmo including ESO, the vendor loot is always a bad bargain. A similar lvl item can be bought from a player for much less the cost. You should be finding chests completing quests and killing mobs for your primary gear needs. Sure the vendor is there but you will not be saving any money in long term.

In short no this is not the way :)

I understand that, and tend to agree, but this is the first MMO where the vendor sold gear is significantly better than the gear I'm finding in chests or earning as quest rewards, hence my question.

• crimsonBZD
    crimsonBZD
    ✭✭
    I'm going to give this a look when I log on in a bit, however, I wouldn't put it past them when in making this game they made the vendor goods better than standard exploration and gameplay loot. Then, if that's all you're into, you can help yourself out by buying a weapon from a vendor and pretty much play the game "solo" to a point.
  • Phranq
    Phranq
    ✭✭✭
    I've been crafting my own gear because its better than what I've found as loot/quest rewards.. haven't even thought to check stats on vendor bought gear.. if it is better than what I can make I will cry
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phranq wrote: »
    I've been crafting my own gear because its better than what I've found as loot/quest rewards.. haven't even thought to check stats on vendor bought gear.. if it is better than what I can make I will cry
    Phranq wrote: »

I have yet to find a vendor that sells better weapons than I can craft for myself
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• soulclaw
    soulclaw
    ✭✭✭
    What level skill do you need to craft a damage 30 weapon?

• Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What level skill do you need to craft a damag4e 30 weapon?

You should. Be able to craft one with some iron ingots and you may need honing stones for an upgrade but you should be able to do it at a fairly low blacksmithing level.

-Thomas Pain

• joanjett
    joanjett
    ✭✭✭
    Or join a guild and use the guild store. I make all my stuff but sometimes
    i check our guild store for things.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
  • gimarwb17_ESO
    gimarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with you. Quest rewards are seldom of the class you actually are. They are forcing us basically all to craft. That is not everybody's cup of tea and I hate forcing of players.

Anyway, I have been crafting with all my chars and I am usually a crafter. I find that even with crafting you hardly get anything decent because you need special items to upgrade the stuff. These special items you only get if you break up green or higher items. However, I never get enough green items that I can break up because you need at least 6 for one item upgrade.

So the whole thing is stupid. In fact I am cancelling my game right now because I am sick of the bugs, sick of the stupid bank bug, sick of the bugged quests. Just did a long quest and for end boss could not get through the door to get to him. bugged.

This game is more than frustrating it is pathetic.
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with you. Quest rewards are seldom of the class you actually are. They are forcing us basically all to craft. That is not everybody's cup of tea and I hate forcing of players.

Anyway, I have been crafting with all my chars and I am usually a crafter. I find that even with crafting you hardly get anything decent because you need special items to upgrade the stuff. These special items you only get if you break up green or higher items. However, I never get enough green items that I can break up because you need at least 6 for one item upgrade.

So the whole thing is stupid. In fact I am cancelling my game right now because I am sick of the bugs, sick of the stupid bank bug, sick of the bugged quests. Just did a long quest and for end boss could not get through the door to get to him. bugged.

This game is more than frustrating it is pathetic.

im sorry that you feel this way, maybe this just isn't the game for you? i have a crafter character (hard to level with no offensive abilities to speak of lol but not impossible) and i send everything green and above from my main while im playing and add that to my hireling mails and increased inspiration from extraction/deconstruction and im inundated with tempers to upgrade my gear, i craft everything for my main and have no problems improving weapons/armour up to at least blue level, i'll hold on to my purple and gold tempers tho until im a higher level as they are a bit harder to come by.
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

- Quest rewards
    - Mob loot
    - Vendor items
    - Locked chest loot
    - Crafted items

;-)

I thought the Dev's stated the best gear in the game is player made?
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NiRN wrote: »
    I haven't bought a weapon at a vendor yet. My quest rewards and drops are plenty fine.
    What level are you?

The majority view seems to be craft or die, I'm interested in your experience because crafting in this game is a huge turn-off for me as I have to compete with the bot-armies ZOS are incapable of dealing with it seems.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »
    i

- Quest rewards
    - Mob loot
    - Vendor items
    - Locked chest loot
    - Crafted items

;-)

I have yet to find a vendor that sells better Gear than the stuff I make or myself. and the loot drops are very seldom ever better.the only exception being are the loot drops that are either epic or one step ahead of the stuff I have or over leveled

-Thomas Pain

• KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're a bit more nuanced it seems to me,

They basically say crafted gear stat-wise is 'best' (but not by a huge margin) but that the best drops have unique traits./set bonus or whatever.

I'm not even 10 yet so what do I know, but having read many threads on this subject that's the view I have: that BiS gear in this game doesn't demand you 'raid', but if you do you'll get some perks not available to others.
    Edited by KerinKor on April 16, 2014 7:26AM
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    i

- Quest rewards
    - Mob loot
    - Vendor items
    - Locked chest loot
    - Crafted items

;-)

I have yet to find a vendor that sells better Gear than the stuff I make or myself. and the loot drops are very seldom ever better.the only exception being are the loot drops that are either epic or one step ahead of the stuff I have or over leveled

Good, that was my hope. Finally an MMO that makes crafting gear top. I never understood other games where you'd spend months leveling your crafts up, only to find that gear which drops in dungeons is better. Just pushes people to sell mats for exuberant prices.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • kreekitb16_ESO
    kreekitb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Using 6 upgrade materials to upgrade to green? ... starting with 20% Chance per Item means you go to 120% ...*headscratchingintensifies* ...

Oh and you get Quest items which are for your Class... as you can use them all THEY ARE FOR YOUR Class... just because YOU decided you wont use heavy armor doesnt mean that someone else wont do it.

But i am happy that Players like you leave actually... means less stress for the Servers and Customer Support..
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

So far I've collected every racial motif except imperial (and minus the 'special' motifs like daedric or barbaric), so I can make my weapons and armor in 9 different aesthetics.

You won't find an Imperial motif in game. Only those that pre-ordered have the ability to make Imperial styled items or convert existing items into Imperial style.
  • kreekitb16_ESO
    kreekitb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You won't find an Imperial motif in game. Only those that pre-ordered have the ability to make Imperial styled items or convert existing items into Imperial style.

Wrong... Racial Motif 10 (dont Quote me on the numer) : Imperial exists and can be found, i have one in my Inventory as an Imperial Charakter...
    Edited by kreekitb16_ESO on April 16, 2014 10:30AM
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, imperial motif is an item in game.

No, vendor items are not always better, but they will be if you only craft basic white weapons and armor, or don't craft at all. (Side note, if you want light armor jerkins, vendors sell those, you cannot craft them)

Vendor items are much more expensive to buy than it is for you to craft when you are starting out, so it would be much easier to craft all your gear.

No, your crafted items will generally not be spectacular if you don't bother to improve them with items or research traits to craft into your items and/or craft set items from crafting tables found out in the world. (Sets require you to have learned a number of traits in said item type to craft)

Improvement items come from breaking down green or better gear OR from refining raw materials. With points placed into metallurgy, stitching, and carpentry in your crafting skill trees you can reduce improving to green 3 items at 40%, 80%, 100% and improving to blue with 4 items at 30%, 60%, 90%, 100%

With the extraction/unraveling passives, you will get so much material back from deconstructing items that you'll barely have to fight for resource nodes, just quest until your inventory is full, teleport back to town, break everything down that you don't need/aren't going to research.
    Edited by Nasuradin_ESO on April 16, 2014 11:34AM
  • Morthur
    Morthur
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Morthur on April 28, 2014 12:24PM
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like you're over the level of the content you're doing, so the drops aren't at your level. Of course vendor would be better since you can filter to within one level of your character level. Base stats on crafted items are higher than base stats on drops.
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never brought anything from any vendors, and probably wont.

either I quests for new weapons, mob drops, rewards or ill craft them myself.

now at lvl 31, I haven't even used the repair feature yet either, its a waste of gold so far, getting new gear or weapons all the time :)