Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

HELP PLEASE!!!

Launchism
Launchism
Soul Shriven
Alright guys I need a hand,

I know the trolls will be out in full force on this one but i really don't know where else to turn.

I am not having any luck leveling right now,I get to level 10 and find that I either (a) haven't used my skill points correctly and have been pointlessly spending them on improper skills or (b) just don't know what the hell I am doing in this game. (I realize that both options coincide with one another)

I really like this game and am a huge fan of the elder scrolls series but just can't figure it out.

I want to make a build that will help me level solo easily enough but would also hold its own doing group dungeons and what not. I play DPS for the most part. Not good at casting but would be willing to try a templar class

If anyone would be willing to give advice on class/race combos and builds from level 1-20 I would be hugely appreciative. (I am also looking for a guild and would be willing to join any faction)
  • crimsonBZD
    crimsonBZD
    ✭✭
    I only read the first part of your post, and that's all I need to read to help you.

1) Wasting your points early on is not a problem, you honestly could not have done too much damage. There's tons of quests that give you skill points and plenty of skyshards to be found by looking to make up for the wasted points until you have enough gold to respec

2) If you don't know what you doing, run in some direction and do something you find. Do what the NPC's talking to you say and run towards the objective, simple as that.
  • awkwarrd
    awkwarrd
    ✭✭✭
    You can get your skills refunded.

You didn't say what class you were.
  • Launchism
    Launchism
    Soul Shriven
    I am a dragonknight and i have been going 2 handed weapons
  • Caran
    Caran
    ✭✭✭
    It would help if you described your problem a bit better ... did you run out of same-level quests? Are you dying too often? The game is too difficult / easy / boring?
    Is your equipment up to level?
  • Launchism
    Launchism
    Soul Shriven
    Dying very often, still have quest to do at my level. I am just having trouble grasping the game in general. I guess I am just looking for some guidance I guess.
  • Caran
    Caran
    ✭✭✭
    Equipment up to level?

Do you:
    - block strong attacks (yellow "lines" / "streaks" around your enemy)?
    - avoid special attacks (red "lines" / "streaks" around your enemy)? You could also bash the enemy to interrupt him (hold right mouse button, then press left mouse button)
    - get out of red areas on the floor?

Which alliance are you? Is there a certain quest in which you die often?
    Edited by Caran on April 16, 2014 1:20AM
  • Ulvich
    Ulvich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What alliance are you with? If you are with EP maybe we can get together and I can help you. I rolled a DK in beta for several months, and I have 2 now. You can send me an in game letter. My main's name is Zyris.
    - Monster Slayer
    - Savior of Nirn
    - Adventurer Across a Decade
    - Hit Hard. Hit Fast. Hit Often
    - BETA Group: 85 b 9
  • crimsonBZD
    crimsonBZD
    ✭✭
    Thinking about it some more, I think something you can do is look through your skill trees and understand the overall tactic based on your weapon selection, then on class.

I'm not too familiar with 2hand, so I'll talk sword and board. ALL of sword and boards skills target "enemy" so I won't be doing AoE with that, but I can impose a lot of different physical effects such as reduced armor and snare/immo with the first two skills. So, I have that going for me with my stamina powers.

after that I'm a DK, which seems to me to specialize in a good combo of skill based damage mitigation, enemy control, and damage application.

So, when I have sword and board in hand, I focus on keeping damage off of me while slamming them with DK powers, usually fire whip, and keep them hurting and controlled with the first and second sword and board abilities.

Then I can whip out my destro staff for even more variable effects on enemies, using DK in this form for crowd control and healing, using the slash with the healing morph from DK and talons, along with the DK healing skill and a heavy armor skill to further mitigate damage and prevent physical immos and such.

Since my sword and board has no AoE skills, but it's the only tanking skill line in the game, mobility and accuracy is key allowing me to use the stab move to taunt multiple enemies for 15 sec each, combining that with a heavy armor and a lot of points in health lets me tank very effectively.

One thing I like to do with my DK is make sure I have skills on my close combat sword and board that will let me get away from an enemy if i need to, acting as a transition to my destro staff, on which I always keep an ability to disrupt an opponent and and lock them down, allowing a transition back to 1 on 1 encounters with sword and board.
    Edited by crimsonBZD on April 16, 2014 1:59AM