The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

They should design and build the server BEFORE starting the maintenance!

• Qutayba
    Qutayba
    ✭✭✭
    If I see some of the major problems fixed when it goes back up, I will wait days if need be.
  • aegis156
    aegis156
    ✭✭
    Fenbrae wrote: »
    People are so overreactive. If ESO isn't working, then go do something else.
    It's not like you are paying them, all of us are running on our 30 free days.
    Yes, you might say "ehrmergerd i'm losing valuable free time" but i'm pretty sure they gave you a free month because there will be a lot of fixing and noone wants to have long downtimes while paying for your gametime.

Umm I paid $100 for the box on my desk so Yes I am paying for the time. The 30 days was included in the purchase price not handed to you free of charge
  • Santiago
    Santiago
    ✭✭
    I guess you've never played WoW? Even in recent expansions down time for server maintenance has gone a full day at the extremes and most server maintenance days last up until anywhere from 11am to 2pm EST.
    We're talking about regular maintenance here and so far all of them have been well over 5-6 hours. Your "quoted time" for WoW's worst is 3 hours, assuming you can count.
  • tangorn
    tangorn
    ✭✭
    I mean, come on! I haven't seen server maintenance problems this bad since 1999 when Origin was running Ultima Online! And even then, the weekly server downtime wa... 1 hour! We are up to 5.5 hours!

Heh... 5.5 hours is nothing, comparing to how long it took for NCSOFT to do serious updates on L2. And 4 hours every Tuesday was a must...
  • warlockcoub17_ESO
    Elember wrote: »
    Fenbrae wrote: »
    People are so overreactive. If ESO isn't working, then go do something else.
    It's not like you are paying them, all of us are running on our 30 free days.
    Yes, you might say "ehrmergerd i'm losing valuable free time" but i'm pretty sure they gave you a free month because there will be a lot of fixing and noone wants to have long downtimes while paying for your gametime.

Thing is though it is my day off today. I knew it was maintenance day and I planned for the 4 to 5 hours of maintenance which any competent sever maintenance crew should be able to complete the job in. However ZOS maintenance crew, which is obviously sub par, decides to extend maintenance for another 6 to 8 hours which basically ruins my day off completely.

I'm glad there is finally a maintenance schedule for the servers coming down. means I can plan my Research accordingly and my time to spend in the game, instead of raging why is the game down....
  • Hearts
    Hearts
    ✭✭✭
    Saerydoth wrote: »
    You realize, of course, you are flat out wrong. You can work on a database in a multitude of ways from copying it and working on the copy which you then, when it is done, take the working database down and copy the fixed version over. total downtime 15 minutes.

Or, if you must manually repair records, you do it on the fly.

I've worked on databases, so you should not talk about things you don't understand.

Actually, I think it's you sir who is not thinking this through. Really, you lose all credibility with your 15 minutes statement, making it super clear, you have no concept of how much data they are dealing with.

Besides that, the primary reason to take the database offline, is to stop users adding more data to it. Hardly any point in taking a hot copy, fixing it over a few hours, and then telling people they are losing those few hours of playtime to get rolled back to the newly repaired database.

Get it? What's the point of letting me play, only to *** me off later with a rollback??? Creates more work for them, and customers are even more angry with the rollback.

Think about it. It's not always about ensuring people have uptime. The priority is to repair the issue, and uptime is secondary until the thing is stable and functioning properly.

You work on all of the fixes for the problem and additions to the game, you implement any non-character database fixes, then you pull server down, you input the fixes or additions that require character database, you upload the patch to the launcher and youre good to go.
    Depending on the problem I can see this taking 30 minutes to 2 hours.. not 8 hours (and counting)..
    Its a bit annoying but im more curious about what the hell the problem is..
    I have a guess, one of the fixes they made had a huge error that would screw things up badly, maybe a bug that would delete every item in a guild bank (just guessing) and that they have to find the problem and refix it.
  • Cydramech
    Cydramech
    ✭✭
    Instead of complaining about downtime (which as annoying as it is, is not all that important), why don't we take the time to see if the issues were fixed and complain about bugs and glitches that do matter instead?

Edit: of course, it is important to stress that downtime can cut into one's enjoyment time, and so it is preferable they keep downtime to a minimum. If one is dissatisfied, they should quit paying though.
    Edited by Cydramech on April 15, 2014 7:38PM
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Santiago wrote: »
    I guess you've never played WoW? Even in recent expansions down time for server maintenance has gone a full day at the extremes and most server maintenance days last up until anywhere from 11am to 2pm EST.
    We're talking about regular maintenance here and so far all of them have been well over 5-6 hours. Your "quoted time" for WoW's worst is 3 hours, assuming you can count.

Normal maintenance for WOW is 6am-2pm eastern time (3am-11am pacific time where Blizzard is located). This is NORMAL maintenance. Patch days, it can VERY easily push into 12-16 hours. The last couple major patches for WOW took 16 hours. I remember one that took 24.

Sometimes, Blizzard just does rolling restarts to issue hotfixes. I suspect Zenimax will do the same once the game and servers get ironed out. It should be noted, that rolling restarts for WOW did not begin until sometime around 2010. For the 6 years prior to that, the game was down for *at least* 8 hours, on EVERY Tuesday.

Zenimax has done a couple of 3-4 hour patch maintenance periods, and I have even seen them push hotfixes while the game is live (WOW can't do that, it always needs at least a restart). I have NEVER seen WOW maintenance be that short. You people need to get some perspective and realize what a HUGE undertaking a server farm for an MMO is.
    Edited by Saerydoth on April 15, 2014 7:42PM
  • raykai12000b16_ESO
    raykai12000b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    they have one ... look at the PTS server
    [Guild]:
    <The Dredge [DDGE]> Daggerfall Covenant | International | PvX | Adult Community | TS3+Mic required |http://ddge.zapto.org
    [Addon Author] :
    My addon : Reloadui Extra Slash Commands
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malediktus wrote: »
    GW2 patches without downtimes.

Is/was this really the case that GW2 did patches without downtime? Never really played it but am curious how/what they did

/end-necro
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is from 2014, it's a few years old and may have some outdated information. For this reason we are closing it as a necro.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.