Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Server Maintenance Complaints

Grand_Wazoo
Grand_Wazoo
✭✭✭
In light of all the complaints regarding server maintenance; your opinions are understood and can be summarized as such:
Addiction to MMORPGs — Signs and Symptoms of Addiction
The following are the signs and symptoms of MMORPG addiction:
•Euphoria: Addicts tend to be euphoric while playing their MMORPG.
•Withdrawl: Addicts experience negative feelings, such as anxiousness and depression, upon leaving the MMORPG or during times when they are not able to play the MMORPG.
•Relapse: Addicts tend to return to MMORPGs even after quitting or administering control over their addiction.
•Tolerance: The feelings of euphoria experienced by an MMORPG addict tend to fade with time, thereby requiring higher “doses” of the MMORPG. This translates into more time spent in-game for the same positive feelings.
•Conflict: The time and mental effort spent on MMORPGs may have been better spent on family issues, homework, and work. Thus addiction to MMORPGs may lead an individual to experience new conflicts in his life due to failing relationships, poor grades, and lack of work efficiency.
•Cognitive salience: Addicts of MMORPGs tend to think about MMORPGs even when not playing them. This may lead to daydreaming and mental distraction.
•Behavioral salience: Addicts tend to put MMORPGs before many other basic behaviors in life, including hygiene, sleep, and nourishment. This can lead to health problems.
Of course, the preceding does not address the issues of scammers, spammers, bots, twits, ninnys and feebs, but at least understanding where the anxiety comes from is the first step toward mental and emotional stability.

Edited by Grand_Wazoo on April 15, 2014 4:40PM
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just replaced all the "MMORPG" in that post with beer and realised I drink far too much.

That made me sad.

I'm now going to have a beer to drown my sorrow.
  • Kyotee0071
    Kyotee0071
    ✭✭✭
    Downtime is expected.

Downtime should Ideally be done in the hours of non optimal playtime for the masses.

Example for a NA server - 4 AM EST. Now I know there are folks that 4AM EST would be their "prime time", but for the majority of the people (opinion not fact) on the NA server that would be a time they wouldn't notice the downtime as much.

I never understood why companies do their maintenance during Mid day / Evening hour time frame of the server.

Again, I'm not complaining - just giving my opinion.
    Edited by Kyotee0071 on April 15, 2014 4:44PM
    I didn't think my hangover was that bad this morning until I spent 10 minutes trying to log into my old Etch-A-Sketch

• Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kyotee0071
    Mid-day.
    Staff gets paid straight time instead of overtime or having to come in early.
    MOST gamers of that time zone are at work, not playing the game.
    Prime time.. after 5PM EDT until 10 PM PDT.
    Staff gets paid overtime or having to stay late.
    MOST gamers of that time zones are playing the game.
    Edited by Darlgon on April 15, 2014 4:49PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • RaZSm
    RaZSm
    Soul Shriven
    I don't care about downtime ect.. obviously would prefer it off peak times but I get it new game new bugs must fix ect ect... But what really grinds my gears is the lack and vague info "will be back up early afternoon" wtf???? BST time? its clearly evening gimme a proper ETA dammit!
  • Harakh
    Harakh
    ✭✭✭
    They need to make a real EU server with workers in europe so you can make it at 10 AM in EU.

Every Subscription Game can do this ZoS not.
    Edited by Harakh on April 15, 2014 4:53PM
    Die Welt in einem Sandkorn sehen
    Und den Himmel in einer wilden Blume;
    Die Unendlichkeit in der Handfläche halten
    Und die Ewigkeit in einer Stunde.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaZSm wrote: »
    I don't care about downtime ect.. obviously would prefer it off peak times but I get it new game new bugs must fix ect ect... But what really grinds my gears is the lack and vague info "will be back up early afternoon" wtf???? BST time? its clearly evening gimme a proper ETA dammit!

First, they said "early evening," which is generally accepted to be after 4:00 in civilized countries.

Second, they don't provide a specific ETA because then they have people like you crawling down their throats at 1-minute-past-the-ETA.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harakh wrote: »
    They need to make a real EU server with workers in europe so you can make it at 10 PM in EU.

Can't recall source, but they did say they would be moving the Euro server into a European location some time after launch. Currently they are both together in the US.

It makes sense that they would start out in a centralized location, so work could easily be done by the same people who can more easily communicate and coordinate, in the same location.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 15, 2014 4:54PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • RaZSm
    RaZSm
    Soul Shriven
    ETA = "ESTIMATED" time
    PS..
    We will be performing a regularly scheduled maintenance on the European and North American megaservers tomorrow, Tuesday April 15th.
    •The European megaserver will be brought down at 5:00 AM BST / 6:00 AM CEST. At this time, we expect the European megaserver to be back online by late morning.
    •The North American megaserver will be brought down at 8:00 AM EDT / 1:00 PM BST. At this time, we expect the North American megaserver to be back online by midday.
    During this maintenance, we will be pushing a new patch that includes a number of updates and fixes. We will be posting the full patch notes around 12:00 AM EDT / 5:00 AM BST, and will let you know when each of the megaservers are back online.

That happened I was here patched and played :) No mention of evening downtime
    until just now
    Edited by RaZSm on April 15, 2014 4:58PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaZSm wrote: »
    ETA = "ESTIMATED" time

Yeah. The day that any players remember that, I'll actually make and drink real Rotmeth.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Iam_Epiphany
    Iam_Epiphany
    ✭✭✭
    They need to make a real EU server with workers in europe so you can make it at 10 AM in EU.

They're already going to, it just hasn't been migrated yet.
  • Lackita
    Lackita
    If a company is serving a global market, you have to deliver services on a global scale and set it all up globally. You can never deliver from one site. You should always give the customer the maintenance window time schedule. You never take extra or additional time during maintenance. It's maintenance, not a system crash.

Maintenace should always be done on off hours and not during the customers prime time. And if the decision was to have the European Megaserver first in the US and then move it over to Europe later, then another team has to do the European maintenance during European off time, not when they fell like doing it within a US time frame. If you have problems within your maintenace window, you rollback, fix it, test it on your test servers and then wait for the next off hour maintenance window. You never take prime time or extra time for "extra" or "additional" maintenance/hotfixes/patches. If you do take extra time or additional time, you're not serious about your work or your customers.
  • Bastijer
    Bastijer
    ✭✭✭
    I am very dissapointed whith this "maintenance" situation.... I payed for 30 days of FULL access. I think it is ridiculous that such a company has only one single machine to give service to 1000s of players who, like me, payed at least 54.99€ for full and unlimited access.

What will happen the day that this server crashes?. I am seriously thinking about cancelling my subscription before I have to start paying for a game that is not available when it should be and which resides in single machine (is there really no backup machine or something which can give service in the meantime??)

I understand the need to backup or update a server, but this should not completely shut down all the player's service. And what it this "early morning-midday-afternoon-whatever"? Come on, this is not serious. What sort of misinformation is that? This sounds like a Banana Republic, please¡¡¡.

Last but most important question: How will return Zenimax all these gaming hours that we paid but we can not enjoy?
    Edited by Bastijer on April 15, 2014 5:08PM
  • Lackita
    Lackita
    Sarenia wrote: »
    They need to make a real EU server with workers in europe so you can make it at 10 PM in EU.

Can't recall source, but they did say they would be moving the Euro server into a European location some time after launch. Currently they are both together in the US.

It makes sense that they would start out in a centralized location, so work could easily be done by the same people who can more easily communicate and coordinate, in the same location.

It makes sense if you have unqualified support and management personel that can't, or are not knowledgeable enough to set up a global service correctly. There should be at least 3 global sites with redundant systems for both production and non-production in US, EU and Asia for a global release.
  • MkChkn
    MkChkn
    I'd like to thank the devs for their consistent hard work in fixing bugs and improving overall game play through routine scheduled maintence. I understand that in the fine print I agreed to this maintence with my membership.

Looking forward to completing Banished Cells tonight!
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lackita wrote: »

It makes sense if you have unqualified support and management personel that can't, or are not knowledgeable enough to set up a global service correctly. There should be at least 3 global sites with redundant systems for both production and non-production in US, EU and Asia for a global release.

And I imagine your credentials are that you're the CEO of a multi-billion dollar multi-national organization, right?

Or did you watch an episode of 'How it Works: Big Business' on Discovery Channel?
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Bastijer
    Bastijer
    ✭✭✭

And I imagine your credentials are that you're the CEO of a multi-billion dollar multi-national organization, right?

Or did you watch an episode of 'How it Works: Big Business' on Discovery Channel?

I dont think so, but his comment sounds much more clever and constructive than yours to me. I do really hope that this unique "Mega"server does not crash one day.

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastijer wrote: »
    I am very dissapointed whith this "maintenance" situation.... I payed for 30 days of FULL access. I think it is ridiculous that such a company has only one single machine to give service to 1000s of players who, like me, payed at least 54.99€ for full and unlimited access.

What will happen the day that this server crashes?. I am seriously thinking about cancelling my subscription before I have to start paying for a game that is not available when it should be and which resides in single machine (is there really no backup machine or something which can give service in the meantime??)

I understand the need to backup or update a server, but this should not completely shut down all the player's service. And what it this "early morning-midday-afternoon-whatever"? Come on, this is not serious. What sort of misinformation is that? This sounds like a Banana Republic, please¡¡¡.

Last but most important question: How will return Zenimax all these gaming hours that we paid but we can not enjoy?

Hi, welcome to MMOs. Clearly you're new here.

Before you take a look around, might we recommend checking out the ToS? That's the long document you agreed to when you got the game. Remember the one you didn't actually read? Well, it turns out that when you get this game, it includes maintenance time, both planned and unplanned.

As for how they'll return all $0.10 (you convert that to whatever it is in Euros) to you: they generally won't. Read the ToS. You'll be happier.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Lonzrick
    Lonzrick
    Hehe. I know the rabid ones will howl at the 15-second-past mark, but as a relatively normal person, I'd like something more concrete than: "possibly no later than some time in the early evening-ish" projection. I suppose it's me, but when I read that I really see: "We have no earthly idea."

If I were to read: "We're aiming for 3pm, but might not be able to make it," then I'd know they had a target time, even if they're admitting it's not concrete. At least then I could go to the gym at noon, go shopping, etc.

I know, I know. I could do all that anyway. But (for whatever pathetic reason), I took the day off today to play and I didn't get to. Not only did I not get to, but I have absolutely no idea when I'll be able to play at all except for "possibly some time in the undefined future time span." =*)
  • Lackita
    Lackita
    Bastijer wrote: »

I dont think so, but his comment sounds much more clever and constructive than yours to me. I do really hope that this unique "Mega"server does not crash one day.

Sorry that you don't understand how global IT server infrastructure and maintenance works. I work with global IT server and services. And no, I'm not a CEO. But I can see how your knowledge from the Discovery Channel has helped you ......
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't need to be a chef to know when food tastes bad.

Just because someone isn't the head of large company doesn't mean they are clueless.
  • Bastijer
    Bastijer
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, welcome to MMOs. Clearly you're new here.

Before you take a look around, might we recommend checking out the ToS? That's the long document you agreed to when you got the game. Remember the one you didn't actually read? Well, it turns out that when you get this game, it includes maintenance time, both planned and unplanned.

As for how they'll return all $0.10 (you convert that to whatever it is in Euros) to you: they generally won't. Read the ToS. You'll be happier.

Hi¡, you got me quite quickly¡¡ :# Yes I am a totally newbie to MMOs and I appreciate the time you saved me by resuming the important things to know about theToS. ;)

Anyway, I still think the same way. I just can't belive that such an important, and expensive, company can not give its customers accurate information about when the service will really be online again. Giving abstract information does not help to satisfy customers. :)

• demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    People should be happy they are even fixing stuff up. I don't mind downtime if it means quests will be fixed, and lore books don't fall in barrels and tables.
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First post sums up perfectly how I'm feeling right now! Only had a few minutes of my daily ESO fix before the servers went down for maintenance.

I try to console myself by telling myself they're hopefully fixing bugs, adding security, banning bots, etc.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • nathanmaxtrob14_ESO
    So the NA server went down at 5 AM EST. It's now 2:25 PM EST. It's supposed to be up sometime tonight.

It would be nice if they were a little bit more clear of what time they are shooting for.
  • cmakcristyneb14_ESO
    cmakcristyneb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have beta tested and played just about every MMO game out on the market and some that aren't there anymore. I play not because I am addicted, but because I have PTSD from serving in the US. Army, and for a few hours I can escape the issues that make my life a living hell. The issues I see with the server going down for constant maintenance is due to poor management of the work staff and poor handling of the Beta test.

Staff:
    This is a simple fix, you are proactive at fixing bugs as they are reported, Yes I have worked in coding I know it is a pain in the arse, but hell you are making a ton of $$ so pay the people to do it properly. If you have it ready for Maint. day, your servers only come down for 2-3 hours tops to implant fixes and thereby reducing the # of screaming players.

Servers:
    You need more then just 1 mega server. Load times in some areas are unacceptable! Suggestion East & West coast servers & and two Euro servers.

Beta:
    If perhaps you actually listened to the beta testers who were telling you that you were not ready to release this constant down times could of been avoided, but it is all about the $$ right who cares about screaming players right. Well that is what SWOR thought too and they lost almost 3/4 of the players within the first year. Granted they are slowly and I do stress slowly making a small come back, but it is barely making it on the grand scheme of things.

I normally don't type into these forums due I really don't care about MMO's all that much save for the release they give me, but this one has grabbed my interest. That is a feat in itself since the last one to do that was the original WoW, not the crap it has come today. I really hope there is a shake up in the company and these issues are resolved before this game ends up like so many other MMOs out there and dead.

• Hoosta
    Hoosta
    Soul Shriven
    Darn, I hate maintenance days!?!?!? grrrr..... It really doesn't pay to miss work to play online games... I should had known better.... thought it would be down a few hours but not the ENTIRE DAY. What's worse is that WoW is on maintenance too. Double Whammy!!???!!? :s
  • rcrandall85
    rcrandall85
    ✭✭✭
    RWAAAWRGGGHHH!!!!! (Rage Quit)
    With Steel and Stone,
    Blood and Bone.
    We safeguard this Land,
    Our Heart and Home.
  • rcrandall85
    rcrandall85
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be honest, I expected the kind of addiction that I could pick up and put down whenever I liked. Like a single player ES game that I can sink 1000 hours into. Agreeing to downtime or not in a contract, backup servers, like we were promised to have at launch, should be available for maintenance windows if these really are their slimmest traffic periods. I bought a Collector's Edition and about $200 other nifty gear in support of something I thought I would love to play, not something I couldn't play on a regular basis. That said, I am an ES fan, not MMO fan, and if nothing else, I still get to walk away from this with a bunch of nifty ES swag. And 120 GB of dead space on both partitions where this game is installed. :( Don't need this sh*t two days out of every week.
    With Steel and Stone,
    Blood and Bone.
    We safeguard this Land,
    Our Heart and Home.
  • Corbin_Fisher
    Corbin_Fisher
    ✭✭
    In light of all the complaints regarding server maintenance; your opinions are understood and can be summarized as such:

These are all true, in my opinion.

But it still does not excuse them from having a crappy customer service with what seems like a mon-fri 8am -5pm work schedule.

They know we are addicted. They are counting on that addiction to get our money. Then by all means, *be* a service to that customer.

I appreciate the lulz in your post, though.
  • Kusagari
    Kusagari
    Soul Shriven
    Monday is the new Tuesday