Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why are half the people I meet germans?

• Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    We germans are also on the internet, and we are better at it than you

This is a brilliant line :D

Edited by Crumpy on April 15, 2014 5:49PM
    I lyke not this quill.
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Germans are better at the internet than the OP? Yeah, I can believe that.
  • Lanatireb17_ESO
    Lanatireb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Most of you wouldnt recognize irony and sarcasm even if it bit you in the ass.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you please make servers divided in english/german/etc im tired of watching people talk in foreign languages and people who are not interested in learning lingua franca.
    Oh I do love irony and this is absolutely delicious. How clever you are, you can speak Latin too.

LMAO.
    Edited by KerinKor on April 15, 2014 5:55PM
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Haha ok first of all...germans arent a race. Youre a NATION.

Yes, the last person who confused the two terms caused quite a bit of bother.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Germans should also chat with all capitalized. Because mostly they shout.

Anyway, i don't have anything against other languages. I can understand some of the german like scheizze and raus, but no France sadly. And Dutch because i am from the Netherlands. I am just glad i did not see any russian hieroglyphs because that is annoying. It looks almost like my game is hacked when they chat.

I do hate it when i see a person talk in english and i ask him something and then he suddenly replies in German. I tried to help someone with a quest the other day who was shouting in chat in English and when i tried to help him how to finish quest he whispered back in German. I had no clue what he said.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    double pst grr slow internet
    Edited by Knootewoot on April 15, 2014 6:01PM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I grew up with the values of another era, but i'm absolutely appalled when I see my countrymen posting things like "If you can't be bothered to learn English, stay out of the chat channel".

From people that don't know any foreign languages at all ! Are they completely blind to their own hypocrisy, or has twenty years of Anti-EU popular press turned us all into nationalist/racist jingoists?

I'm bringing the age thing in, because when I grew up in the 80s, there was so much hand-wringing about "why are us English so bad at foreign languages". Even the French, who were known for being relatively poor at English compared to the Dutch or the Germans, spent twice as many hours learning English as English schoolchildren spent learning French.

With all that said, I don't think i'm alone in saying I hated the French and German classes. It was all rote learning, the teacher was invariably absolute /*-#@# and despite revising twice as much for the exams and the homework taking twice as long to do I got lower grades than for History or Science.

In twenty years since I've never actually needed to use French or German, my first direct contact with foreign language speakers are the Poles, whose language btw, makes French or German look like a walk in the park.

But I find it really interesting seeing French or German chat in the window and learning what it means. If games like this were around twenty years ago it might have been a lot more fun to study languages. The problem is the vocabulary we were taught was entirely useless for this application, I don't know the German word for troll, the French word for amour etc. and have no idea how to ask "Can anybody make me a level 16 one handed sword, will pay".

We just learned how to get to the train station (French) or how to order various different kinds of sausages (German) , with and without mustard.