The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

I'm an MMO Legend. The crudeness and lack of roleplay by my fellow players is disturbing...

• marderforhire
    marderforhire
    ✭✭
    Good evening. Most of you probably already know who I am, but if not, please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sir Copperfield. I've been playing MMO's since 1995 and I'm here with a very important request/demand. Before I get to that, however, please take a look at my MMO resume.

1995-1999--Ultima Online: I was part of the fellowship that portaled into Lord British's castle to kill the great King. This of course earned me and my fellowship a lifetime ban from all future Ultima games, but boy was it worth it.

1998-2001--Everquest: I was the first player to aquire a full set of the enchanted Legendary Armor. I also ran the top guild on my server with over 700 active players.

1999-2004--Asheron's Call: I was the first level 126 on the PK server, Darktide. I was also the first level 126 on PVE server Wintersebb. I was known as the most feared PVPer in all of Dereth.

2003-2003--Anarchy Online: I played for 27 minutes before sending a strongly worded letter into Funcom, demanding that the running animation of the players be changed. I quit 48 hours later when my demands went unheard.

2004-2009--World of Warcraft: I was the Guild Leader of the Gnome hating Cult of Cult Copperfield. We refused to group or associate with gnomes in any fashion. I was the first level 60 across 12 different servers.

2009-2011--I quit gaming for a few years to find myself. I ended up getting married but divorced my wife in late 2011 before the Star Wars: Old Republic launch. I knew I couldn't find the time to fit both in my life. My gaming urges got the better of me.

2011-2014--Star Wars: The Old Republic: I was the first level 50 and 55 as well as the first Valor Level 100. I have the most achievements in the games brief history with over 27,000. I once played for 37 hours straight and was the server first to complete every new Operation on patch day.

Now that you've seen my credentials, it's time to get onto business.

This is a roleplaying game. We need to start acting like it. Since there are no roleplaying servers, we need to respect those that with to immerse themselves in Tamriel. Too often I find my immersion ruined by my fellow players cursing in the channel, trading, spamming for groups etc etc etc...

It's part of roleplayer code that I can't turn off the communications channel. You're in this world with me, I can't just "turn you off".

I'm not asking you to roleplay with me. I understand that we're all not roleplayers. What I'm asking for, is very simply, to please not ruin my immersion. There is no need to curse in the channel. There is no need to spam about a group when you can use the group finding tool.

Thank you my friends. This is a wonderful game and I look forward to immersing myself in the world of Tamriel with all of you!

-Sir Copperfield.
    Do you were these accomplishments on your jacket in public?

Seriously nobody cares that you wasted almost 20 years of your life sitting behind a pc screen for 15 hours a day.
    Options
  • marderforhire
    marderforhire
    ✭✭
    "2009-2011--I quit gaming for a few years to find myself. I ended up getting married but divorced my wife in late 2011 before the Star Wars: Old Republic launch. I knew I couldn't find the time to fit both in my life. My gaming urges got the better of me."

I seriously just spit my coffee everywhere. They have counseling for this ...
    Options
  • Spenceresque
    Spenceresque
    Soul Shriven
    fc,550x550,navy.jpg
    Just sayin'...Gina Bruno's the ESO Oracle.
    Options
  • Copperfield
    Copperfield
    ✭✭✭
    What's with all the hatred? I came here for support.

I can't help but think some of you are jealous after reading my resume. I didn't post my resume for that purpose. I'm not the bad guy here folks...
    Options
  • Rhiven
    Rhiven
    What's with all the hatred?

My reply had no hatred in it, I was simply refuting your points. Disagreement does not mean hatred.

Options
  • Kemono
    Kemono
    ✭✭✭
    What's with all the hatred? I came here for support.
    What suport?
    This is a Fiction & Roleplaying forum, and your resume is just that: a Fiction.
    You also forget to mention how your wife deleted all your lev 50 chars in SWTOR -.-'
    Oh, yeah and about this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydgTiEfWcqE

If you a close to legendary anything, you are Legendary Fail Troll
    I_know_what_you_are_Youre_a_fail_troll-s590x775-106384.jpg

Edited by Kemono on April 15, 2014 10:58PM
    Options
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my, I'm just humbled the legendary Sir Copperfield decided to grace us with his presence. Please, sir, ignore the ignorance of my ESO peers as they try to denigrate your good name! It's an honor just having you here.

Together, we can convert these non-RPing heathens.
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
    Options
  • reignfyre
    reignfyre
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno I don't roleplay but here are some logical suggestions:
    • Turn off zone chat. You couldn't possibly hear all those people so far away anyways. This is ESO, there is no instant text messaging. Keep the say or yell channels on.
    • Roleplay a reason why people are swearing or behaving the way they are.
    Options
  • Copperfield
    Copperfield
    ✭✭✭
    reignfyre wrote: »
    Dunno I don't roleplay but here are some logical suggestions:
    • Turn off zone chat. You couldn't possibly hear all those people so far away anyways. This is ESO, there is no instant text messaging. Keep the say or yell channels on.
    • Roleplay a reason why people are swearing or behaving the way they are.

It's part of roleplayer code that I can't turn off the communications channel. You're in this world with me. I can't just "turn you off".

The communications channel is a technological marvel that I will continue to embrace.
    Edited by Copperfield on April 15, 2014 11:21PM
    Options
  • naatokb14_ESO
    naatokb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm simply not convinced that this guy is "cereal" (serious) regarding the sheer dork-power of his background. As to the topic of the OP, well, I ignore zone chat when rping. In fact, you can make new tabs in the chat interface and add in only those channels you want to see and bury the default tab.

Make sense?
    gawad-du.enjin.com/
    "For what deem'st thou so dear thy blood, when through my veins it will flood?"
    Options
  • reignfyre
    reignfyre
    ✭✭✭
    OK reviewing other posts, OP is trolling. Got me. Good one. B)
    Options
  • Knuckles19
    Quite a resume you have , you're hired!
    Edited by Knuckles19 on April 15, 2014 11:28PM
    Options
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why would an Rper reliably ever use zone chat?
    Im a full time Rper and I dont really see the merit of this..
    Options
  • mfischer303b14_ESO
    He's A old timer?? sheeesh, don't make me laugh my first MMO was a ball and a stick TRY PLAYING that solo.
    Options
  • Calaban
    Calaban
    ✭✭✭
    This is funny.

This should be made into a video for collegehumor.com
    Options
  • Jessabella
    Jessabella
    ✭✭✭✭

2009-2011--I quit gaming for a few years to find myself. I ended up getting married but divorced my wife in late 2011 before the Star Wars: Old Republic launch. I knew I couldn't find the time to fit both in my life. My gaming urges got the better of me.

-Sir Copperfield.

Ok, sorry to be off topic, but this makes me incredibly sad for you @Copperfield, I'm not judging you though. We are have are things to live for.

But you can fit gaming into married life. My significant other and are/were both hardcore gamers, but we play different types of games, he hates RPGs and I hate his Strategy games, and in over 4 years its never once got in the way of "us". And now with a little one on the way my bf is already looking forward to gaming as a family! I am sorry that particular marriage failed, but I wish you the best of luck in the future and hopefully if there is a next you can game together or separately as it may be!

Anyway your RP concern is not new, a lot of people have brought it up all through beta but I don't think a post like this is going to help you much to change it. I am sorry if that sounds harsh, it is not how I mean to come across :)
    Mara's Tester <3Psijic Order/PTS Tester
    Jessabella >:)Belladonna Bacia >:)Serves her Master >:)Aurora Rose
    Mara's Moxie <3The Sidekick Order <3The Psijic Order <3Elder Moot
    And my big fat Naked Nord :pAte my Clothes
    Options
  • bummingtheusanub18_ESO
    Little known fact, Sir Copperfield is also the first/only lvl 50 in the art of Trolling. He just doesn't like to make it public because he wants to be modest. :)

P.S. He is getting closer to VR1 the longer this thread is viewed and commented on by people who take it serious.
    Edited by bummingtheusanub18_ESO on April 16, 2014 12:43AM
    Options
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reading my resume, my fellow players are more likely to abide by my zone chat demands.
    I can't help but think some of you are jealous after reading my resume. I didn't post my resume for that purpose. I'm not the bad guy here folks...

Demands. Seriously. Wow. Thanks man, this is the best laugh I've had today. You're right, everyone here is clearly jealous of your utterly pathetic attempt to validate your existence.
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
    Options
  • Copperfield
    Copperfield
    ✭✭✭
    Again. This thread is not about my gaming resume, but about my fellow players acting crude in the communications channel.

And for those of you sending me private messages asking why I would leave my wife over a "video game", I have this to say to you...

Gaming is my life and I will not apologize for it. To me, gaming is the most important thing I have...

She knew what she was getting into when she married me. I always told her gaming would come first. Over her and the kids...

When she started getting on me to play less, I left her.
    Options
  • Knuckles19
    Again. This thread is not about my gaming resume, but about my fellow players acting crude in the communications channel.

And for those of you sending me private messages asking why I would leave my wife over a "video game", I have this to say to you...

Gaming is my life and I will not apologize for it. To me, gaming is the most important thing I have...

She knew what she was getting into when she married me. I always told her gaming would come first. Over her and the kids...

When she started getting on me to play less, I left her.

Great one , what lessons will you bestow on us so that we may revel in your greatness?
    Options
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP:
    z-formation-snap-o_zps1297c2cb.gif

My response:
    nathan-fillion-reaction-gif_zpsba8f5f40.gif
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
    Options
  • Lecture
    Lecture
    Soul Shriven
    Alright. Let's for the duration of this post ignore all that the OP represents in a community, I'll address the issue he's bringing up:

As a role-player since a long time, what you're hoping for is impossible and quite honestly a little stupid. Wanting to stop it, or even slow it is like trying to block a river with your bare hands. That said, role-playing is done almost exclusively in /say, /emote and /yell. Zone chat has in every game I've played (WoW, The Old Republic, Guild Wars), RP server or not, been filled with OOC chat. It's more a rarity than a common thing that someone RP in general chat, or Party, or Raid. Or even respect it for that matter.

What you're asking for is irrational. Sure there's no RP server, but there's also no PvE or PvP server. Zone chat is the only way for people not in the same guild to make contact with one another over things such as trade or grouping. Sure you can use the tools in the game for such things, but sometimes you want more control over what's going to happen.

I just don't get the issue you're having. What you're asking for hasn't existed in WoW, hasn't existed in TOR, hasn't existed in any game to my knowledge. Why should you suddenly want it here? Zone/General chat has always been filled with the things you write that you don't want in it, even on RP servers.

Your idea of immersion isn't reasonable. And I say this as a person that also doesn't like the spamming in zone chat.
    Options
  • Vladish
    Vladish
    ✭✭
    Lecture wrote: »
    Next time, try making this point without worthless credentials. Your credentials had NOTHING to do with the point you hoped to make. I'm a RPer, but I just can't support this thread. You're taking something worthy of discussion, and perverting it with bad arguments and even worse phrasing.

After having been part of gaming communities as long as you have, you should know better.

My credentials have everything to do with this post. People won't take you seriously if you don't have the MMO cred to back you up. After reading my resume, my fellow players are more likely to abide by my zone chat demands.

And thank you Aeroch. Shattered Hand was a wonderful community.

Your credentials are neither valid for the issue you are trying to address, nor that impressive either. People wont take you seriously when you are being childish. When you approach something in a mature/intelligent way, a lot tend to listen. All you doing is worthless self-promotion as at it was stated before, not even properly addressing the issue.

If chat is your problem, turn off zone chat. My biggest gripe are some of the names that break my immersion, but I also understand it's multi-player game and I don't expect everyone to conform to my standards. It's just something I have to tolerate, and I will like in every other mmo, as long the names are not offensive, etc.
    Options
  • stealthdf2b14_ESO
    this is a joke isnt it? he cant be serious.

this guy claims to be such a serious Rper but in the first of his list of achievements there is the killing or lord british. which according to this link was basically achieved via an abuse of game glitches and bugs http://lorehound.com/news/top-5-most-memorable-events-in-mmorpg-history/
    and that is why the players were banned since they had been reported as glitching so many times and abusing it to PK and the such.

this guy isnt some OG gangtsa RPer he is just an OG troll glitcher and mega nerd.
    no one cares about this list of things you have done. if anything its just making you a bigger target to be trolled on.
    Edited by stealthdf2b14_ESO on April 16, 2014 3:36PM
    Options
  • Copperfield
    Copperfield
    ✭✭✭
    this is a joke isnt it? he cant be serious

I'm very serious. Why is it so difficult to accept the fact that this is a roleplaying game? My fellow players need to respect those that wish to roleplay.

This is a very stubborn player base. Usually people see my resume and at least attempt to respect my demands.

You people are making this difficult.
    Options
  • stealthdf2b14_ESO
    I bow to your excellence and spat upon thy boots. Have at thee foul pretender
    Options
  • Foxhunt
    Foxhunt
    ✭✭✭
    Me being a khajiit I like to sometimes roleplay what I type out like "This one wishes to buy Moon Sugar Biscuits" or something like that. I see others roleplaying too but no matter what you do or say or plead, it'll be tough to clean up the zone chats. Some times it's good and worth reading through and responding but other times I read the chat and just don't look back at it because of how silly it is. I'm not a big time RPer, just occasionally RP my typing, and I wish more people would try to do that every now and then. Roleplayers do need more respect and I feel where you're coming from.

I've never heard of any "Copperfield", but this thread is hilarious.
    Edited by Foxhunt on April 16, 2014 10:53PM
    Options
  • Stormbow
    Stormbow
    ✭✭✭
    You spelled "egomaniac" wrong.

And I sure hope I got your in-game account name correct on my ignore list; it would be a shame if I ever had to deal with someone like you in-game.
    Options
  • geeksquad4lyfe
    copperfield, Just so you know I know hwo has the name "copperfield" its the same one who stole it form you in Star wars when everyone hated you back then as we still do. You are the biggest fake i have ever come across

One, you were not the first for anything in SWTOR, nor did you have all those achievement points as you claim. If you did im sure you wouldve screenshotted your achievements.
    Options
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive never heard of you.
    Options
This discussion has been closed.