The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to defeat Septima Tharn?

• Emperor
    Emperor
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Primaxx‌

Thank you OP for not just complaining about the game being too hard and asking for a nerf. You are one of the few that actually ask for help instead of giving up. I applaud you.

I believe the game should be challenging. These are one of the few battles I had a lot of fun with BECAUSE it was challenging and not just another face roll. I would love to see more fights like this.

As for beating her. Fire resist, not being a vampire (sorry vampires), and standing back so only a few mobs attack you at a time is key. Keep your health high and dodge the attacks as much as possible.
    If you like small group PvP (2-4 players) and solo PvP check out my video ;)https://youtube.com/watch?v=jechGImtFio

SPOILER: The first 40 seconds of the video contains a scene from the final Molag Bal boss fight!

• ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    I even did that on 2nd try with my NB archer..
    All it took was taking Expert Hunter, which paired with my Bombard was dealing incredible damage, while also rooting whole army in place.. ofc it took some stealthing too, since that army had ranged guys too, but a combination of Funnel Health, Expert Hunter, Bombard, Shadowy Disguise and Siphoning Attacks allowed me to kill whole army in about 6 seconds, while still being healthy and with reasonable amount of stamina and magicka, then moved on to second army, nuke Septima a little with my other skillbar, and decimate her 2 armies again when she repeated it. She didn't manage to summon an army for the third time, dunno if because of damage or mechanics.
  • shaiten
    shaiten
    ✭✭
    So for this fight I was sporting 5 / 7 light armor and 2 / 7 Heavy armor in chest and legs.

I was using a Resto Staff and had the following spells up
    Volcanic Rune IV
    Crystal Blast IV
    Rapid Regeneration IV
    Dark Conversion IV
    Unstable Clanfear IV

When fighting her I just kept plunking her with Crystal Blast and Resto Staff heavy strike. When the waves of men would come I'd back up so they came at me 4 at once and used Volcanic Rune to keep bouncing them up. When they would first engage me I'd drop my Storm Antorauch and keep block up much as possible using a potion when needed.

Keep Moving and dropping the Volcanic Rune and keep Rapid Regeneration up as well. Eventually I put her down 3 waves of adds were killed as well.
  • mssunlight1974neb18_ESO
    Just a little tip - Eclipse (or its morphs) works wonders in this fight, if you're a Templar. She kills herself with her own fireballs.

There are islands to the left as you face the platform that can only be reached by swimming. If you're finding it hard to deal with the waves of spirits, swim over there to rest up and get your magicka / stamina back, then go back in and pick them off by 3s and 4s.
  • Damien_Uvirith
    I'm currently having trouble defeating this boss, but reading this thread I'm now curious to ask:

Is she supposed to turn into two separate Septima Tharns? Every battle I've had with her as soon as I attack a second one of her appears, both acting independently and summoning their own adds when their health is brought down enough.

Am I right to assume this is not normal?
  • chuo.lib14_ESO
    chuo.lib14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    This quest spawns TWO Septima Tharns. WTF?
  • Garetth
    Garetth
    ✭✭✭✭
    EQBallzz wrote: »
    All hail Bhakura! He alone has mastered this game. You can block some attacks but not all of them. After killing the adds it's easy to be low on health when she appears again. As a vamp you are weak to fire so even a couple attacks can kill you if not full health. There are a lot of variables. You could offer some constructive suggestions for those having trouble or just keep acting like an elitist jerk. That's also on you.

He was probably jacking off when he posted that dribble.
  • JinShepard01
    JinShepard01
    ✭✭✭
    This quest spawns TWO Septima Tharns. WTF?

Yep, for me too, AWESOME another bug that causes a main quest to stop advancing FFS
    Why do people complain?
    ''Because players want to provide feedback and help shape a product they still see as having the potential to be great.''
  • Dracall_Nukpana
    Dracall_Nukpana
    Soul Shriven
    So last night, I got to this fight... She spawned two of herself and then spawned the other adds that I've read about in this post... I got her to 0 health before I even started taking on the adds...She didn't die at 0 health, so took on the adds... I've read about some tricks about pulling single mobs so I will try again, tonight, but It seems confusing that she didn't die when I got her to 0 health.
  • Ageless
    Ageless
    ✭✭✭
    She spawned two of herself and then spawned the other adds that I've read about in this post... I got her to 0 health before I even started taking on the adds...She didn't die at 0 health, so took on the adds... I've read about some tricks about pulling single mobs so I will try again, tonight, but It seems confusing that she didn't die when I got her to 0 health.

Yeah, I'm just out of there (lvl44), having fought her together with a buddy (lvl43). We got one of the two Septima's down to zero health, that's when the second one would sometimes disappear, sometimes just keep on coming. One of the fights we fought one Septima at zero health for a couple of minutes. But in the end she just beats you.

We also had one really bad bug, I'd just thrown down a level IV Dragonknight Standard of Might and was throwing Lava Whip at one of the Septima's when all of a sudden, both me and my buddy were dead. Looks like there's a one-touch-death thing in there as well.
    Jord.

As I burn down and murder, I know that God forgives.
    'Spite all the things I've done my soul yet forever lives.
    And all those caught in the shadow of my wings have cause to fear.
    I swear on all I've done, no evil shall linger here.

• devilek
    devilek
    Soul Shriven
    stupid bug QUEST one septima 0hp and second one is on the pillar lol !!! 315hcia.jpg
    33xbnk8.jpg
  • mr.trickb16_ESO
    mr.trickb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Same for me. 2 Septimas, one becoming invulnerable, when having 0 health.
    With luck I was able to get the first (original) Septima also down. After that the quest moved on. Problem: I could talk to the NPC only for a short while, because the Septima double was still there fighting and interupting me. Thank god, I am a sorcerer and had 2 pets with me, which got the aggro. So I managed to click through the dialog fast enough to finish the quest.

Wrote a bug report of course.

My best wishes to all out there who are still struggling with this quest. Good luck!!! Maybe the tips here in this thread will help you!
    Edited by mr.trickb16_ESO on May 24, 2014 6:12PM
  • Sumevala
    Sumevala
    ✭✭
    Bad news: quest is still bugged and spawns two Septima Tharns.
    Good news: still doable. I just completed it as a vampire nightblade (after half a dozen deaths, so no it is not exactly easy), and thought I'd share the tricks I used to manage it.

First, if the quest is still bugged when you get to it, Septima Tharn will produce a duplicate of herself as soon as you engage her. Both Tharns will attack you. One is a 'real' Tharn who will die when you get her health down; the other is Hulk Tharn and will turn invincible after getting to zero health, and keeps fighting.

I got Hulk Tharn to 0 hp just to easily see which one she was; after that I only attacked Real Tharn while still up. I used Invigorating Drain every chance I got with the ghost spawns to keep my health up, and only used stamina-based attacks to keep my magicka high enough to stay alive via I.D. Eventually Real Tharn went down, and the quest progressed...but Hulk Tharn STILL. KEEPS. ATTACKING. Which means you can't engage Emeric to continue the quest chain.

To fix this, I ran away...at least until Hulk Tharn leashed. She eventually returned to the center of the stone stage, which will suit you perfectly as Emeric is off to one far side of the stage. You can get close enough to engage Emeric and still not attract Hulk Tharn's notice.

Unfortunately, the next step is talking to the Keeper--who spawns right next to Hulk Tharn. You will end up pulling Hulk Tharn no matter what; but if you engage the Keeper and then IMMEDIATELY click your available dialog option, the Keeper will port you out before Hulk Tharn can land her first attack and you can complete the remaining quest steps at your leisure. Sadly, this means I missed out on whatever the Keeper had to say to me, but it's a small price to pay for finally completing this damned quest.
    Edited by Sumevala on May 25, 2014 12:55AM
  • peyruneub17_ESO
    peyruneub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Sumevala wrote: »
    Bad news: quest is still bugged and spawns two Septima Tharns.
    Good news: still doable. I just completed it as a vampire nightblade (after half a dozen deaths, so no it is not exactly easy), and thought I'd share the tricks I used to manage it.

First, if the quest is still bugged when you get to it, Septima Tharn will produce a duplicate of herself as soon as you engage her. Both Tharns will attack you. One is a 'real' Tharn who will die when you get her health down; the other is Hulk Tharn and will turn invincible after getting to zero health, and keeps fighting.

I got Hulk Tharn to 0 hp just to easily see which one she was; after that I only attacked Real Tharn while still up. I used Invigorating Drain every chance I got with the ghost spawns to keep my health up, and only used stamina-based attacks to keep my magicka high enough to stay alive via I.D. Eventually Real Tharn went down, and the quest progressed...but Hulk Tharn STILL. KEEPS. ATTACKING. Which means you can't engage Emeric to continue the quest chain.

To fix this, I ran away...at least until Hulk Tharn leashed. She eventually returned to the center of the stone stage, which will suit you perfectly as Emeric is off to one far side of the stage. You can get close enough to engage Emeric and still not attract Hulk Tharn's notice.

Unfortunately, the next step is talking to the Keeper--who spawns right next to Hulk Tharn. You will end up pulling Hulk Tharn no matter what; but if you engage the Keeper and then IMMEDIATELY click your available dialog option, the Keeper will port you out before Hulk Tharn can land her first attack and you can complete the remaining quest steps at your leisure. Sadly, this means I missed out on whatever the Keeper had to say to me, but it's a small price to pay for finally completing this damned quest.

Thanks that helped a lot. I ended up fighting the adds on the shore; knowing that there was a "real" Tharn and a doppelganger made it easier to know what to do.
  • LoPony
    LoPony
    I just got to that quest on vet 10 and its just impossible to do.
    There are 15 adds or something with at least 1,5k life and a default damage amount. If you just wait a while the adds despawn and the boss returns, but gets invisible and kills you without beeing attackable!
    This is the worst thing I've ever seen in a game ...

If it is supposed to be group content then well ... there are no other players because nobody seems to do the normal veteran content anymore (thx to the new zone ...).
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Squishy wrote: »
    ... Her fireballs also go behind the pillars, but not her electric storms :S.

This was an invaluable piece of advice. Pillars block lightning.

• Psychoke
    Psychoke
    ✭✭
    you can actually 'cheat' the fight by going on a rock on the south-west side of the 'arena' and keep jumping on it and burst damaging them 1 by 1 when they come running at you, and jump off the rock again to aggro them again! only tricky when dealing with the archers so get them down top priority ;P
    "imagine a world without elder scrolls customer support, i can't either"
  • xFusionx
    xFusionx
    This quest is bugged. Tharna goes invisible after the waves of mobs and yet keeps casting spells on me. The difficulty isn't an issue, I just can't see her or target her to cast on or fight her. Cannot be completed this way
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    So can a total squish last this out and beat her?

I am trying to finish this with my Crafter main. L42 pure crafter build so far.

7/7 light armor Seducers and Magnus

The only skills I have are:

Vampires Bane - Dark Flare - Biting Jabs - Elemental Ring - Lingering Ritual
    - No Ultimate
    - Fire Staff 21 Unresistable DMG
    - Have some spell crit and weapon crit

I don't have any of the PVE/PVP skills that many have listed above.

IF I can use the tips to survive the adds waves, can I just last her out and slowly kill her? Or does she have any mechanisms like Doshia that just reset her to 100% if I can't kill her quick enough.

I don't mind carrying 10's of pots and food if I know I can at least last her down full squish.

And I just respeccd at L38 to finish full Crafter so respec back to PVE/PVP is not affordable or likely.

If this is just not doable then I'll start crafting for my actual PVE/PVP main and see her in a few weeks with a better fighter.
    Edited by SpAEkus on June 8, 2014 6:04AM
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    absolutely stupid hard. apparently i need to reroll as a v12 nb just to beat this garbage.
  • angel59
    angel59
    ✭✭✭
    Lylith wrote: »
    absolutely stupid hard. apparently i need to reroll as a v12 nb just to beat this garbage.

What class are you playing?
  • grimjim398
    grimjim398
    ✭✭✭
    Do remember that as someone posted earlier, you do not have to fight this battle alone.
  • Helwyr
    Helwyr
    ✭✭
    If Septa Tharn goes invisible retreat away and log out and back in, this resets the battle portion of the quest. I think her going invisible can be avoided by staying on the courtyard area where the army and Tharn spawns.

In regards to dealing with the army go to the opposite side of the square courtyard from them and pull from range, you rarely have to fight more than 3 at a time and they're not that tough. Pretty standard fare if your character can handle VR PvE content where enemies often come in 3s.

Finally, I just want to point out the ignorance of those saying MMORPG means you ought to need to group. Where in "Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game" is forced grouping referred to or implied? Don't bother saying "multiplayer" since it's actually "massively multiplayer" and it's not as though your claiming you need to group with a massive number of players to get through the main storyline.

Anyway, hopefully with the advice contained in this thread no one will have to group to finish this quest.
  • LuciusEsox
    LuciusEsox
    ✭✭
    Bhakura wrote: »
    Saying that i die alot is acting like an elitist jerk? Read everything.
    Saying that people are playing way wrong and blame the game for being to hard while it isnt is being an elitist jerk?
    If anything maybe i was way to sarcastic yes. But im tired of these whine topics on forum because people cant seem to grasp the whole, new way of playing thing, brainwashed by games like wow and clones where you just stand there pushing buttons.
    Even asked a gm to close one i created because when i created it i was still green behind my ears about the game and totally saw it wrong, hows that for elitist for ya?
    And pointing out common mistakes almost everyone i see fighting makes is not being constructive? Oh right shouldve said, dont do this, instead of "if you do this that happens which is quite obvious"
    If you wanna ***, go ahead but at least for the right reasons.

• LuciusEsox
    LuciusEsox
    ✭✭
    I wont call you am elitist Jerk,, I will call you a smug tw%t.. Yep played mmorpgs for years and there are as many like you as there are peeps who don't get it.. guess what though,, nearly all the people like you seem to like standing there watching and judging but not helping,, same as real life really..
  • VespidOlive
    VespidOlive
    Soul Shriven
    OK, about the last third of the comments were about people antagonizing eachother. As I recall, the topic was HOW to defeat Septima Tharn. Not "which way is the correct way to defeat her". There are four classes and many available weapon types. That means an endless amount of playstyles which can kill Septima Tharn. So for those who insist on defeating her the "correct way" get your head out of your arse and realize what battle may have been easy for you may be impossible for someone else. Different People play different styles so it doesn't matter HOW you kill Septima, all that matters is that you kill her.

Now that that's out of my system, we know a few things about her fight.
    1. She will summon wave after wave of undead soldiers until she dies
    2. She will teleport on top of the pillars of the stage while the after-for-mentioned undead army tries to kill you
    3. These soldiers are all lvl 42 and they do not go down easy unless you are at the reccomended lvl and even then, exercise caution.
    4. Do not try to take down the army all at once. As mentioned earlier they can hold their own against you so pick them off one by one.
    5. (And this is reccomended for any quest giving you trouble) Create/Join a group on the same quest s that you can kill Septima Tharn together.Groups gain much more experience then running solo. And let's face it, this is not an easy battle and you'll need all the help you can get.
  • Gambit39
    Gambit39
    Soul Shriven
    Level 46 Sorcerer. I died several times from the mobs before reading the tips on here. Used entrophy on Septima and ducked behind a pillar while my pets softened her up. Jumped out to reapply when she teleports. When the mobs came I stayed behind the pillars AOE'd the small groups that came, applying Entrophy whenever possible. At one point a larger mob came at me and I popped Storm Atronarch, which wiped them out pretty quickly. It was still up when Septima came back the second time. Again, stayed behind pillar except to put Entrophy on her for the light heal effect. She died pretty quickly the second time with the Storm Atronarch still up.

Swimming out to the deep water kept the melee fighters from attacking, but I was still getting hit by arrows. Septima came back and fireballed me while I was in the water and could not cast. Use the pillar method to stay out of LOS from the archers.