The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Tryin' to be a jerkin... wearin' mage.

Thunder
Thunder
✭✭✭
I would like to wear all light armor, (I know a lot of people say you should wear at least one of each, but I'd rather not. Should the day ever arise that I wish to level another armor class I can just wear a full set of that for awhile), yet I'm not a big fan of the robes in this game. The look like you're wearing a hoop skirt underneath to me.

However, during my travels I often manage to pick up a light armor jerkin of the appropriate level. I much prefer the jerkin to the robe, however, there doesn't seem to be a way to craft a light armor jerkin, am I missing something or will I have to settle for a medium armor chest piece if I want to avoid being the belle of the ball?
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    at the minute i think light armour only has robes available to craft, so unless you find a nice light armour jerkin drop. you're stuck with either crafting a medium piece of gear, or waering a robe, hopefully they change it in the future as i too would like more variety of gear to craft
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    Tiyamel wrote: »
    at the minute i think light armour only has robes available to craft

I figured as much, but hoped I was missing something, 'tis a shame.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I have no idea how the Barbarian, Ancient Elf, Daedric or Primal light armor looks... but there did appear to be new armor in the upcoming expansion in May.

I had gotten that same light "shirt" too, and I liked it. I cannot stand wearing dresses :smile:
  • icengr_ESO
    icengr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    yea, put me down for a jerkin too
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Actually light armor merchants sell jerkins, you won't have much of a choice style wise, but if you really really want one, there you have it, some npcs will sell blue versions too.
  • Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    I never thought to look. Great tip!
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to risk logging in any more tonite NA was shaky as soon as they took down EU.

I'm imperial, any other Imperials try to convert a jerkin and see what it looks like? I have two in storage but I didn't notice what racial they were.
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    jerkins are just the top of robe without the skirt, regardless of what race it is.
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Expansion? Already? Better be free...
    Pact Bloodwraith
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ya.

Robes suck. Hate robes. Like Jerkins.

Please fix.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • mechasauce
    mechasauce
    ✭✭
    Vaerth wrote: »
    Expansion? Already? Better be free...

Its a content update "Craglorn", and afaik there is no ETA yet.
  • gothickaiserub17_ESO
    Content upgrade should also include Jerkins, would be awesome
  • TheRedMage
    TheRedMage
    ✭✭✭
    T_T I've asking for this in beta since like November. I'd have so much more love for light armor if i didn't have to 5/2 to avoid wearing a dress.
    Please try not to think I'm hostile, I'm not trying to be. I just have a hard time wording things with tact >_<.
  • Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Nasuradin_ESO, I've been able to wear a jerkin of pretty much appropriate level by buying them from the clothing vendor. It's my first stop in every new town, stop by the clothing vendor and get a peek at what style the jerkin is. So I get to Riften only to discover, they don't sell an ebonthread jerkin! Oh drat.

I hope they at least still randomly drop in later levels, although what I'm really hoping for is it was just an oversight at this vendor and future vendors will carry them.

I do have a plan B, wear a leather armor chest, which I've been thinking I'd probably be forced to do eventually anyway because of traits and what not.

I have been thinking about this a lot though, Nasuradin_ESO is right, it's just the top of the dress with the skirt cut off. Which means it would be incredibly easy for them to allow tailors to cut the bottom off, we already have the scissors, we really just need permission. :::fingers crossed:::
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Try making a High Elf robe. At later levels it looks like you're wearing a leather robe. It actually looks rather nice.
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    Once cannot do a proper assassin ninja with a dress. Of course, there isn't a proper build so I just tote a leather top and a few other pieces of armor for at least half the max ninja skill point ability.
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    can you trust a man wearing a skirt or dress
  • EinionYrth
    EinionYrth
    ✭✭✭✭
    can you trust a man wearing a skirt or dress

Ask the Roman Catholic church.
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always wear one of the disguises (that we get to keep) that are handed out from some quests. Cannot stand the robes.
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    Ask the Roman Catholic church.
    Confession is good for the soul -if I don't stick it in a stone first.

• Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »
    Try making a High Elf robe. At later levels it looks like you're wearing a leather robe. It actually looks rather nice.

I just hate all the robes in this game because of the belt, which makes them look like a dress. I don't really have a problem with robes in general , especially for mages, but I find the silhouette in ESO to be unflattering because of the tight waist from the belt.

Perhaps I watched too much Little House on the Prairie as a kid, but I can't help feeling like Laura Ingalls running around yelling, "Paw! Paw!", when I wear a robe in ESO.
  • Sylveria_Relden
    Sylveria_Relden
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... finally a thread that has a really valid argument. (and not just some hate rant on the game)

I too, have questioned why there's only robes available for crafting- and would like (at some point) jerkins to be available too. I don't mind using robes- but the option for appearance could at least be somewhat modifiable in some cases.
    TL;DR - If you got this far without reading the entire post you're either too lazy or suck at reading comprehension and probably don't belong in a public forum anyway. Just move along, you wouldn't understand.
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    thats why i went 2 Heavy/5Light on my nightblade caster, i wear the Heavy Chest and Helmet, rest is cloth :)
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to be able to craft jerkins; I got a nice looking one while leveling (I think it might have been Orcish style?) and was hoping to replicate that look.