Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Templar Tank spec... broken?!

Johnny_NO_skillz
Johnny_NO_skillz
✭✭✭
Hello everyone - first I'll start this off by saying I am by NO means an expert tank player, but I can't help but wonder if Templar Tanking is either just too esoteric for me to grasp, or if Templars make effective tanks at all...

I am a level 23 Temp "Tank", with Aedric Speak Focus and I CAN'T for the life of me hold ANY aggro.

It's not like the DPS and I are fighting for aggro... it's like I can't even get the damn mobs/bosses attention!! It makes me want to rage!!

Please someone tell me a good build for Temp tanking - I've looked all over google and the only sites I pull up are general information about skill trees.

I need rotation/skill break down... I'm SO lost.
Edited by Johnny_NO_skillz on April 14, 2014 5:29AM
  • Ziz
    Ziz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use puncture on the main target (bosses will randomly target other players periodically) use aoe to attract adds

However in ESO you are not expected or even able to Gro everything. If you did you'd die to fast too.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Templar tank and I went with Restoring Light skill path. My taunt is the first skill on the Sword and Shield weapon skill line, which forces the mob to attack you for the next 15 seconds or whatever.

You can easily keep agro on one mob with that, you can hold more with target switching and spamming that skill but

a) Stamina won't last

b) You might actually make the healer's job harder if you're tanking more mobs than you can effectively block/dodge/interrupt the big attacks of.

Eg. You are in heavy armour but you've been rooted / stunned by a sorcerer and two archers start building up their special attack which you can't do anything about.

On trash pulls everyone is tanking something I just try to grab the most dangerous mob and use my heal skill (Honour the Dead) if anyone goes below 60% health.

There's the second skill in the Fighter's Guild line which buffs the armour of people nearby too - haven't had a chance to try it yet.

If you want to try the traditional "hold everything" tank, the advice you usually see is to train up sword and board for holding the boss in boss fights and have 2hander secondary weapon AOE for trash pulls.

In Banished Cells though the trash/adds are just normal landscape mobs. Holding only one or two of them while helping out with the healing seems to keep everyone alive just fine.
    Edited by jesterstear on April 14, 2014 6:31AM
  • RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭
    You just need puncture, 1 AoE ability and high armor and some health for tanking, I use spear shards for AoE. But you definitely can't tank without puncture, you need that or the 3rd skill on the undaunted tree, which takes a long time to level.
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    as previously stated, in this game its impossible to aggro everything and keep it trained on you, its more about how your entire party deals with battles, your job as tank is to grab as much hate as you can but dps are always gonna take them off you, nothing you can do about that, the trick is to think fast and hope the rest of your team synergises with you, for example im a NB and when i rip a mob off the tank i use invis, it stands still as cant see me so tank can regrab it and so on, there is no true tank in ESO unlike other games, its all about your group and yours and their skill at playing.
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game is exactly like GW2, battles are chaotic, they can't be 'managed' in any meaningful sense and it's a DPS race to kill the mobs before they kill you.

The TES fans say ESO isn't a 'normal' MMO, they're right it isn't. :(
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    This game is exactly like GW2, battles are chaotic, they can't be 'managed' in any meaningful sense and it's a DPS race to kill the mobs before they kill you.

The TES fans say ESO isn't a 'normal' MMO, they're right it isn't. :(
    In short the tank can hold the boss unless he is scripted to attack randoms.
    He can not hold boss and all adds however dps should be able to handle them themselves and return to hit boss.

The dps race is also true for wow, emphasized by enrage timers to stop people going safe with three tanks and 5 healers in raids.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    This game seems to encourage the formation of dual class characters. For example, your stamina, weapon skills might be geared towards tanking, and your class, magika skills might be something else eg. healing.

My tanking is better than my healing because I'm sword and shield, have only 2pcs light armour (5 heavy), and have a lot more health than Magika. So my primary role is tanking and secondary is healing. The OP sounds more like a DPS/Tank.

My character is good at keeping other people alive but the downside of playing her is the complete lack of dps skills. Soloing is slow and can be dangerous (multiple casters/summoners with only melee autoattack is not fun). That is the price of playing hero, and it's always easier to find dps players for your group.
  • Teroh
    Teroh
    ✭✭✭
    Vr3 templar tank here they are completely viable and I breeze thru veteran dungeons.
    The Fallen Legion is Recruiting, Help us Retake Cryodiil! Message me for more information.