Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Buttheads killing vampire spawns

• eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valdavia wrote: »
    there is an entire village of bloodfiends in cyrodill that can pass the gift. stop crying and go find em.
    Can't even tell us the name of the village? or Which alliance it's closest to?

Yeah, let me go roam Cyrodiil for the next two days.
  • Sadae
    Sadae
    ✭✭✭
    Saying "A village in Cyrodiil" is pretty vague. I don't think he was out of line by requesting something more specific.
  • Contrabardus
    Contrabardus
    ✭✭
    I think the big issue here is the lack of ability to retaliate. If mobs of players could gang up and do something about the camping resource killers then I'd be fine with it.

There's nothing players waiting at the spawn points can do to stop it though, and that is where the issue lies.

If there was some action that could be taken against the players who kill vampires for whatever reasons they have aside from filling out a report and sending it off to the devs to be ignored or added to a stack that must build up to a certain point before even a warning is handed out, fine.

As it is now though it's broken and needs to be addressed. Give players an alternate method, keep the spawns and let them be camped, but provide a quest line that has the curse as a quest reward in the form of a dialogue choice to gain the disease. The player makes friends with enough vampire NPCs in the course of the game it shouldn't be an issue to add it in. Wouldn't even need to make them a full vampire, just give them the disease and then send them off to do the post infection vamp quest like everyone else.

Either that, or provide some way for players to retaliate against scammers and grief campers. Give players a single in game murder a day. Make it a skill that lets you harm a single player with a 24 hour cooldown. I suppose duel would be a better term for it, but it shouldn't be something the other player can opt out of. It would also help to make this 'power' buff both players to PvP levels. So both are at 50 and have a chance at winning so that higher level players aren't given immunity from being jerks to lower level players.

That would actually do a lot to help the game's social structure. Players could clean up bots, retaliate against griefers and campers, chest and resource ninjas, and deal with particularly nasty and persistent trolls. Making it a skill with a long cooldown would help curb it's potential for griefing and abuse and would likely make players consider whether using it is worth it or not at the time.

Another possible solution is to put a limited range PvP in effect around the spawns. Give everyone the ability to attack anything and anyone within a small radius of the spawn zone, and don't let any abilities pull the mobs out of that zone or damage them from outside of it. The issue would sort itself out pretty well.

A small measure of consequence can do a lot to curb anti-social behavior such as griefing.

Not a cure by any stretch, but it would help with a lot of the frustrations this game has. As it is, Griefers have all the power and there is no consequence aside from getting a finger shook at them in the form of a report that will most likely be buried or ignored unless a huge number are flooding in about a single player.
    Edited by Contrabardus on April 23, 2014 5:09AM
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is only a limit to how many i can ignore , not to how many i can report , so i just keep reporting one after the other.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Contrabardus
    Contrabardus
    ✭✭
    There is only a limit to how many i can ignore , not to how many i can report , so i just keep reporting one after the other.

The problem here is that reporting isn't much of a deterrent. Most griefers and campers know that Zeni probably isn't going to do much, if anything, to them personally.

There's a chance they could get a warning, then maybe a suspension, and possibly a ban if they are persistent...eventually. It's pretty unlikely though as most players don't report and just fill the chat up with complaints.

I'm sure there might be a few bans and suspensions handed out to players who build up enough complaints, but most of the players causing problems by being *** are getting away with it and they know it.

Reporting isn't a solution if no action is taken, especially when the offenders know it. That's unfortunately the case here.
  • joanjett
    joanjett
    ✭✭✭
    God i've played so many games and seen this type of stuff all the time.
    Nothing new about it....move along ......move along. ;)
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
  • joanjett
    joanjett
    ✭✭✭
    Oh hey is butthead playing ESO? ;)
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
  • Contrabardus
    Contrabardus
    ✭✭
    joanjett wrote: »
    God i've played so many games and seen this type of stuff all the time.
    Nothing new about it....move along ......move along. ;)

All the more reason it shouldn't be present now. The fact that other games had the problem doesn't excuse it now. If anything, it's a very good reason why it should have been foreseen and prevented before release.
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gisgo wrote: »
    and i cant help noticing that if you spent the same time you spent arguing with me looking for vampires in Cyrodiil you would probably have found them.
    And I asked several others who told me that it was only a rumor.

So you'll have to excuse me if I'd rather not chase wild geese around the largest zone in the game without the slightest hint as to where to start.

• A0rx
    A0rx
    ✭✭
    If some1 want to become a Vamp (EU) u can always /w @A0rx i have free bite every week=)
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I personally detest jerk behavior like this.

And I have no desire to be either.
  • bugulu
    bugulu
    ✭✭✭
    Claiming it's RP behavior to kill the mobs and then proceeding to sell the bite in chat is hilarious. No vampire or werewolf in this era would ever announce that they are one.

If it would really be RP, you would never use your abilities in front of other players unless they are the same kind less you risk getting hunted.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a problem in an AvA-based game when members grief, rob & scam members of their own Alliance just for kicks. And not, for the record, I have no desire to be either a vampire or a Werewolf, but the drama around them is ridiculous.
    Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I think the big issue here is the lack of ability to retaliate. If mobs of players could gang up and do something about the camping resource killers then I'd be fine with it.

There's nothing players waiting at the spawn points can do to stop it though, and that is where the issue lies.

If there was some action that could be taken against the players who kill vampires for whatever reasons they have aside from filling out a report and sending it off to the devs to be ignored or added to a stack that must build up to a certain point before even a warning is handed out, fine.

As it is now though it's broken and needs to be addressed. Give players an alternate method, keep the spawns and let them be camped, but provide a quest line that has the curse as a quest reward in the form of a dialogue choice to gain the disease. The player makes friends with enough vampire NPCs in the course of the game it shouldn't be an issue to add it in. Wouldn't even need to make them a full vampire, just give them the disease and then send them off to do the post infection vamp quest like everyone else.

Either that, or provide some way for players to retaliate against scammers and grief campers. Give players a single in game murder a day. Make it a skill that lets you harm a single player with a 24 hour cooldown. I suppose duel would be a better term for it, but it shouldn't be something the other player can opt out of. It would also help to make this 'power' buff both players to PvP levels. So both are at 50 and have a chance at winning so that higher level players aren't given immunity from being jerks to lower level players.

That would actually do a lot to help the game's social structure. Players could clean up bots, retaliate against griefers and campers, chest and resource ninjas, and deal with particularly nasty and persistent trolls. Making it a skill with a long cooldown would help curb it's potential for griefing and abuse and would likely make players consider whether using it is worth it or not at the time.

Another possible solution is to put a limited range PvP in effect around the spawns. Give everyone the ability to attack anything and anyone within a small radius of the spawn zone, and don't let any abilities pull the mobs out of that zone or damage them from outside of it. The issue would sort itself out pretty well.

A small measure of consequence can do a lot to curb anti-social behavior such as griefing.

Not a cure by any stretch, but it would help with a lot of the frustrations this game has. As it is, Griefers have all the power and there is no consequence aside from getting a finger shook at them in the form of a report that will most likely be buried or ignored unless a huge number are flooding in about a single player.

Awesome post. I really like the idea about a limited area instance of PvP. In fact i really hope a dev catches sight of this post and starts looking into a way of implementing it at not only Vampire/WW spawns, but at a few other special places around Tamriel outside of Cyrodiil. Make them into an event of sorts and only allow players to experience them once every gameday and you have a winning combination of PvP and PvE.
  • dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭

SITTING ON A SPAWNPOINT IS NOT ROLEPLAYING A VAMPIRE HUNTER AND ANYONE CLAIMING THAT SHOULD KILL THEMSELVES.

-in the game, ideally by jumping off a cliff.
    Edited by dietlime on April 30, 2014 2:18AM
  • michaelpatrickjonesnub18_ESO
    Wait until people start quitting the game. Numbers thin out. People get bored.

The idiot camping spawn points will have an epiphany.

His jaw will drop a bit. He'll wonder when the release date for Witcher 3 is. He'll Google it. Then bring up Dragon Age: Inquisition, and decide to post a lewd comment in a forum about it.

Back to ESO camping. Back to Google.

His right-brain processing what his left-brain has learned.

Yes, this sucks. Time to move on.
    Edited by michaelpatrickjonesnub18_ESO on April 30, 2014 7:01PM
  • DudeKosh
    DudeKosh
    ✭✭
    I kill vampires every night they come out, seeing as how I am a vampire hunter, this fits perfectly with my RP sessions.
  • BudaKhan
    BudaKhan
    Soul Shriven
    QQ
  • StrafingTide
    agree!! it's too easy for some turds to troll or even noobs trying to help you because they don't realise you're not supposed to kill them.
  • Contrabardus
    Contrabardus
    ✭✭
    I kill vampires every night they come out, seeing as how I am a vampire hunter, this fits perfectly with my RP sessions.

It's not RPing unless all parties consent.

If you're running around killing spawns when no one can do anything to stop you, you're just being a ***, not RPing. Especially when others are requesting that you stop and are not consenting to your RP.

RP is being used as an excuse for griefing in regard to this issue.

In a game where all sides are equal and you can actually have a battle over the resource in question, fine. Anything goes.

However, in this sort of environment where the power is one sided and other players are requesting that they not be included and that you leave the resource alone so that others not interested in your RP can use it, then using it as an excuse to validate your behavior just doesn't cut it. It stops being RPing at that point and is simply griefing at the expense of others.

The lack of the ability for others to stop you or retaliate makes all the difference here. In a RP environment all sides are equal and willing to play along, or at least able to provide resistance and defend against the RPer. That isn't the case here.

I seriously doubt the majority of players claiming RP are really RPing anyway. They're just using it as an excuse to justify their griefing.

Also claiming "FG XP" doesn't cut it. If someone is really interested in gaining FG XP, they'd be in Coldharbor where pretty much every mob grants FG XP, not running around camping and killing the infection spawns. The claim that a player is killing infection spawns for FG XP is just an excuse to justify being a jerk and nothing more.
    Edited by Contrabardus on May 4, 2014 5:11PM
  • Blonde_Ambition93
    thilog wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with people killing vampires for any of reasons stated above. Including cases where kill is made with intention to keep vampire/ww numbers at bay and limit access to their powers.

In fact, I hope this trend continues, so that vampire/ww population remains rare. Like daedric armor, these skill lines should be goals to strive for (instead of becoming a casual feature every character can achieve without effort).

Also, I think this vampire/ww-killing (and limits on sharing dark gifts) fits the lore and world setting nicely.

Regardless, I wish you luck in becoming a vampire. The hard effort will pay off!

So you're basically saying you have no issue with players being ignorant of another players desire to have harmless fun.

There is NO excuse for this, from an rp point of view or any thing else. It's being done purely in spite. If you are alone and a vamp spawns.. then it's your vamp to do with as you like, if there's players there who want to get bitten.. it's your obligation as an intelligent helpful gamer to let them. Do otherwise and you're no worse than a botter or gold seller imo.

-_- I agree with the guy you think is no better than a botter or gold seller... lol
  • Blonde_Ambition93
    kirbus wrote: »
    I know one thing for sure, you can't justify this with RP. if you could than i can scam people out of tons of gold and say I'm RPing a scam artist. If they intended this to be a fought over aspect of the game they would have stuck it in Cyrodiil and let the best fighters control it.

anyone who does this is destroying the free and open play style of elder scrolls games for other people. you are no true TES fan.

You are so rude to insist that someone is not a true TES fan.. because the players that are doing this are usually knowledgeable of vampirism, it's history and the different species based off provinces. They know that keeping the population down won't make this game become a vamp & WW only game worth gouging ones eyes out.
  • Blonde_Ambition93
    Sadae wrote: »
    I am amazed when people spout nonsense about "RPers". You are giving RPers a bad name then! If you've known any real RPers, they are a kind crowd and not into griefing other players under the excuse it's just roleplay.

People killing vampire and werewolf spawns are doing so for one reason only, to grief other players. The reason for the grief may vary, but it's always grief nonetheless.

"If you've known any real RPers, they are a kind crowd and not into griefing other players under the excuse it's just roleplay."

Hahaha!! Haahaahaa!! XD *wipes tear from eye*
    What a giggle :3

"RPers" are ROLEPLAYING, if they want to roleplay a WW or Vampire hunter than they are still roleplayers non the less. You cannot decide who is a RPer & what RPer's are like 100%..

I love to roleplay, but I'm the most spiteful woman I know.. I love to hurt others for a giggle, so of-course role playing a *** suits me, and it makes me enjoy the game more...

AND NO... you do not need to roleplay a kind person if you are mean irl and vice versa, role playing is: playing the role of someone else, being someone else.. living their life, crafting their story from start to finish, living their experiences... BEING them.. not yourself.. I can be a *** in the game & still be a *** in real life... because that is not me in this pixelated universe.
  • Blonde_Ambition93

It's not RPing unless all parties consent.

If you're running around killing spawns when no one can do anything to stop you, you're just being a ***, not RPing. Especially when others are requesting that you stop and are not consenting to your RP.

RP is being used as an excuse for griefing in regard to this issue.

In a game where all sides are equal and you can actually have a battle over the resource in question, fine. Anything goes.

However, in this sort of environment where the power is one sided and other players are requesting that they not be included and that you leave the resource alone so that others not interested in your RP can use it, then using it as an excuse to validate your behavior just doesn't cut it. It stops being RPing at that point and is simply griefing at the expense of others.

The lack of the ability for others to stop you or retaliate makes all the difference here. In a RP environment all sides are equal and willing to play along, or at least able to provide resistance and defend against the RPer. That isn't the case here.

I seriously doubt the majority of players claiming RP are really RPing anyway. They're just using it as an excuse to justify their griefing.

Also claiming "FG XP" doesn't cut it. If someone is really interested in gaining FG XP, they'd be in Coldharbor where pretty much every mob grants FG XP, not running around camping and killing the infection spawns. The claim that a player is killing infection spawns for FG XP is just an excuse to justify being a jerk and nothing more.

"consent to your roleplay"?!?!?!?! What is wrong with you?? D:
    This is not play time in preschool, be a big strong man & take it with a teaspoon of cement.. #HARDENUP
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Blonde_Ambition93‌, you might want to look at the dates of the posts you are replying to. This is a thread that has been inactive since May, shortly after release. This is no longer a problem. The bloodfiends spawn in areas where basically nobody is playing, and finding them is easy. Vampires are everywhere, and bites can easily be found for free in any guild.
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For better or for worse, Vampire/WW bites became a market. Any market is a competitive (Player-vs-Player) environment by default, and has its share of winners and losers. I see nothing wrong with that. If you are unable to compete and win in the market (whether by paying or finding the mob and outplaying the campers).. it is your problem, not market's.
    I hear a lot of players talk like this, and I sincerely hope that they leave this attitude in the game world when they log off.

If not, it has frightening implications for our species.