Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

My Sorcerer? Build Opinions

Enteum
Enteum
✭✭✭
Hey guys,
As the title states I am playing mainly as a Sorcerer. I don't usually play as mage, but I wanted to try something new for myself with ESO. A completely new experience as such. I am really enjoy Sorcerer so far....anyways...

I am in search of opinions and suggestions on how you think the build is working out so far.

She is Dunmer, currently level 12 and going an even split between Health and Magicka on level ups.

Destruction staff - Destructive Touch (Not Morphed) & Wall of Elements (Not Morphed) Tri-Focus (Passive).

Daedric Summoning - Unstable Clannfear (Morphed) & Summon Storm Atronach (Ultimate)

Dark Magic - Crystal Blast (Morphed) & Unholy Knowledge + Blood Magic (Passives)

Light Armour - Evocation

Racial - Dynamic

Focusing on Clothier + Enchanting for crafting.

Up until now, and ongoing, I have found her quite a pleasure to roll. With the clannfear distracting, I am able to keep using knock down spells (Crystal Blast + Destructive Touch when they get too close) Then firing off fireballs using an enchanted staff in-between. Wall of Elements comes in handy for a bit of DoT and AoE.

She can also have a fair few blocks with the stamina that she does have and gear is enchanted With Magicka and more Health.

What are your opinions on this build for mage? Could I be hampered later game? Because, at the moment I am really liking this character. I don't want to break her :smile:

Sorry if it is long winded, I just typed as I thought without too much thinking.
Edited by Enteum on April 13, 2014 9:12PM
Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    lol, longwinded maybe, but so far it looks good, as long as you are enjoying it, it doesn't matter, even if it doesn't work out its not a problem as you can always respec your points later (for a fee of course)
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • Distrobomb
    Distrobomb
    ✭✭✭
    Someone had mentioned that the summoned creatures are pretty week at high level so might want to eventually respec those points after they have served their purpose
    I survived the great ESO launch disaster 2014 B)
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are having fun with it, and your playstyle has adapted to it. So.... it looks great!

You know that you have to block and interrupt at times, so you should be alright.

One suggestion I would like to make is that your second weapon at 15.. if you have an idea to what it is.. I would train the first ability of that weapon and put it on your hotbar now (giving up a skill, yes, but you should be fine).

The reason is that when you hit 15, you will have the option of 2 or maybe 3 skills of your choosing (that is including morphings) so you can be more diverse since you will get XP in both your destrutive staff and your other weapon at the same time.
  • skylinedive
    It's really true about playing what you enjoy. "On paper" your Sorcerer looks good. Personal preference, I'd change a few things, but again... it's entirely how you enjoy the class, your own way. Personal player skill is a whole different thing.

I would suggest building the passive skills in multiple weapon types and class skills lines. You might later realize, "You know what? I don't to conjure anymore. I want to focus more on offensive burst damage." During respeccing, you can replace those active points towards active points in another skill line, while maintaining beneficial passive abilities from the starting line. For example: [Power Stone], a Summoning Passive, decreases Ultimate abilities by X%. Useful for any spec, but you still have to work to have it unlocked. After going down the Summoning tree, and deciding to change to a burst-caster, you can still maintain this useful passive.

I'm playing a Templar. I like the idea of a "casting tank", similar to a heavy armored Cleric from D&D (table top). I want to stay within the trees of Dawn's Wrath and Restoring Light, however Aedric Spear has the passive [Balanced Warrior], increasing weapon damage and spell resistance. I feel this is useful, so I will level Aedric Spear for now. Also, some heavy armor passives apply to having at least 5 pieces of heavy gear for max results, and they don't give much in regards to Magicka. So I'll thrown on a few light armored pieces for Magicka's sake.

Someone is going to tear my class spec and choices apart. I'm not "min/max'ing" well enough or something, and that's ok. This is who and what I want to play. In short: Do you! Play how you want and not how someone else wants you to play.
  • Anthony45122
    Anthony45122
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a lvl 40 Sorcerer and still use most of the same abilities you do. I actually run with 3 summons in my Clannfear, Twilight Matriarch, and Storm Atronach. I find the heals from the Matriarch are so clutch and save me from dying quite often. However I find the most use for the summons are just to grab aggro for you while you lay down the dps. I found putting a few pts into the passive that gives you mana back when one of your summons dies to be quite helpful as well since you can use that mana to simply re summon the minion. I roll with Crystal Shards, Relentless Fury, Blockade of Elements, Clannfear, Twilight Matriarch, and Storm Atronach. I tried going bow as my weapon swap at first but found that with no pts into stamina it really didn't work. So my weapon swap is now a resto staff and works great. Like others have said there is no "wrong" way to build your character, simply play the way you like and if at any time you want to redo it you can simply respec. But it costs 100g per skill pt so it can be pricy.
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    Insightful comments guys, thanks. I do really enjoy my Sorcerer. I don't really want to go to any other weapon except staffs at level 15. I was looking at a pure mage, so no melee or bows. Could be a mistake. But I like my mages to be just that. Nice and cliche eh?

So, maybe restoration staff at 15. I don't know. Logging in now to have a look :smiley:
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Enteum, if you dont want to use another weapon, then don't. There is no need if that is what you are comfortable with.

But remember you get a second hotbar that you can swap back and forth with (but you still have to have the pets on both bars or they will dispell).
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    @Hawke Thanks a ton :)
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, but you are the one doing all the work :smiley:
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭