Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Hours and Hours of Research

SoulSeekerUSA
SoulSeekerUSA
✭✭✭
I feel like I am playing The Elder Scrolls Goes to Farmville. I have never played a game that has so much research time that is not a f2p. I am curious as to why they went this route? This seems to be riddled throughout the game, kinda cheesy.
  • awkwarrd
    awkwarrd
    ✭✭✭
    You never played EVE Online then i guess.

You could say that, subscription might have had something to do with it.
    You could say that, immersion had something to do with it.
  • Inupis
    Inupis
    ✭✭✭
    Me want everything now...*crying*...dude the time that it takes to research means others can specialize...that is part of the game....it takes forever to be jack of all trades...get over yourself.
  • SoulSeekerUSA
    SoulSeekerUSA
    ✭✭✭
    awkwarrd wrote: »
    You never played EVE Online then i guess.

You could say that, subscription might have had something to do with it.
    You could say that, immersion had something to do with it.

Nope, never played Eve. And what does sub and immersion have to do with multiple hours of wait time just to do some research? I could see it if it was f2p but it isn't.
  • SoulSeekerUSA
    SoulSeekerUSA
    ✭✭✭
    Inupis wrote: »
    Me want everything now...*crying*...dude the time that it takes to research means others can specialize...that is part of the game....it takes forever to be jack of all trades...get over yourself.

Ahhhh, lovely community here isn't it? Simple question and the fanboys that think the game is 150% perfect flock around. I have been playing games longer than you have probably been alive, trust me when I say this, people like you are attached to every game ever created.
    Edited by SoulSeekerUSA on April 13, 2014 4:45PM
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a timegate to keep you from accessing the most powerful sets the very first week of play. Nothing more. That being said if you're focusing on a specific group of armor and weapon it really isn't that bad at all. If you're trying to get all traits on everything, well, yea that's going to take a very long time.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    It's a timegate to keep you from accessing the most powerful sets the very first week of play. Nothing more. That being said if you're focusing on a specific group of armor and weapon it really isn't that bad at all. If you're trying to get all traits on everything, well, yea that's going to take a very long time.

This.

The idea is that master crafters need to put some serious time and effort into their work.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Judge_Mental_One
    The reason it takes so long is the same reason that the motifs are fairly rare. The system is designed so that it takes some work and forethought to craft set pieces. Also that for a long time, you might have to talk to multiple crafters to be able to get the specific piece, with the specific trait, with the specific set bonus in the specific style that you desire.

In this way 1 crafter cant simply supply everything someone might want and everyone has a chance (for awhile at least) to make some money because only THEY can make exactly what you want.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    It takes time so that you have to well take time to get access to higher crafting abilities.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run 6 chars right now. Two mainly fighters and 4 crafters, well the Orc Blacksmith is gonna fight. He is doing so well just hoovering up mats that I think I will develop him a bit further for war.

I have hirelings running on 3 chars and eventually they will all run hirelings, it's not far down the skill points path and yields some useful stuff that is hard to find or extract.

First see if you can learn a skill, then break down everything for mats and improvement bits. You will be able to make stuff the equal to anything you find very quickly.

Just made a level 22 Oak Improved and Enchanted Bow for my son and I'll mail that off later today. He is level 21 today. ;)
  • UnknownXV
    UnknownXV
    ✭✭✭
    Forces you to specialize. You can get everything, but it takes forever. It means high level crafters are needed more than just 1. I like that.
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    UnknownXV wrote: »
    Forces you to specialize. You can get everything, but it takes forever. It means high level crafters are needed more than just 1. I like that.

That was my thoughts too. In a system where you can literally do everything, having the research times continually double with each new trait forces you to pick and choose which is most important to you to improve first. Yeah, you'll eventually have them all, but it'll take a long time to do so.

The crafted sets require you to have a certain number of traits unlocked first, and the required number keeps going up. I'm in Rivenspire now and the sets there require 4 per piece. So while I may be able to do light armor for that set (that's where I've been spending most my research time), I can't go around making that set for every medium armor person that comes along. They'd need to go to someone who spent their research time in medium armor.

I kinda like it this way. It takes time without really being tedious.
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA