Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

So these Motif's....

Maestro_Sartori
Maestro_Sartori
✭✭✭
I'm seeing people spam selling these things all the time. I've yet to even find one of these let alone know what they are?

Thanks
  • Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They allow you to craft the other race's armor and weapons. You can usually find them in cabinets, dressers, nightstands and the like.
    Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
    ―Madanach
    Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are lore books I think

So people wanna "catch em all"
    Edited by Crumpy on April 12, 2014 4:29PM
    I lyke not this quill.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crumpy wrote: »

They aren't lore books. As mentioned above, they allow crafters to craft weapons and armor in that racial style.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah thank you I thought they just help complete people's lore 'lists'
    I lyke not this quill.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You find them by checking wardrobes, chests, desks, trunks, etc. I've found five so far across my characters. It just takes diligence to find them, and the difference is entirely cosmetic. Not worth a buy, but a treat when you find them. :)
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm lucky but I keep finding them, mostly in Audiron. I wouldn't buy them and in fact don't sell my extras.
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    People farm them. While i don't think its against the game terms, personally i find it sorta "cheap" but that's an opinion. Park your alts in a building with a lot of dressers/chests/desk and search, relog, search, relog, search...etc.

Every time you relog they all reset. I'd like it personally if they just set each chest to an account based timer, so no alt or relogging with cause a reset for a set time period. Something like that for bosses too to avoid camping those if possible.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    People farm them.

In my experience, this doesn't even really work. There seems to be a strange randomness to them so that the more you look, the less you find.

I tried farming a little bit in early access because I wanted a Redguard motif. I would run my three or four characters through a couple of buildings (banks mostly) when I logged on at night. But lately I'm finding most of my mine by just playing the game and checking every container. Or checking the containers when you make your eight or ninth trip to the bank during a play session.

You want to check backpacks, nightstands, desks and trunks, in particular. And you want to check them, not just for motifs, but for crafting supplies. Right now, that's mostly what I'm looking for.

• Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    People farm them. While i don't think its against the game terms, personally i find it sorta "cheap" but that's an opinion. Park your alts in a building with a lot of dressers/chests/desk and search, relog, search, relog, search...etc.

Every time you relog they all reset. I'd like it personally if they just set each chest to an account based timer, so no alt or relogging with cause a reset for a set time period. Something like that for bosses too to avoid camping those if possible.

As long as they aren't botting, I say if they can stand the boredom, more power to 'em. I just check all the dressers in every building I enter, and I've found six of them so far.

• Eris
    Eris
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually wander around Daggerfall sometimes just opening desks and nightstands and such, sometimes I pull a motif.
    Side effects of reading messages on forums can cause nausea, head aches, spontaneous fits of rage, urination due to intense laughter, and sometimes the death of your monitor or other object in throwing range. If you find that you are reading forums more than 24 hours a day, please consult your nearest temporal physicist.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    They are rare blue drops that are books that teach you about that culture. When you read it you learn to craft in the style of that culture.

They are a moderately rare drop found by rummaging everywhere. I found 2 in the last room of the quest you go back to fetch Lyris in. Another in nightstand in an inn. And none since. ::shrug::
  • Paks_ESO
    Paks_ESO
    ✭✭
    I'm kind of a container-search-a-holic. I wouldn't say I farm anything specific, but I can't seem to pass a full container without opening it. :(
    PC/NA
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭

They aren't lore books. As mentioned above, they allow crafters to craft weapons and armor in that racial style.

They are lore books of sort, just of a different sort. They do contain lore on the racial motif they represent. Sadly, they don't show up in the lore book section of the character info...

To be honest, I only collect them because certain races have certain styles I want... and I get most of mine via random bookshelf drops. Furniture drops come in a distant second. Just make sure you have inventory space for a lore book as there is no warning when you get one and don't have any space left.
  • Rosebloome
    Rosebloome
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't the best place to farm them would be to park a level 1 alt in coldharbour and keep opening the bazillion trunks in that place? Manage to get a bunch? No problem leave coldharbour to town, send them to main. delete alt, and start a new one?
  • Rosebloome
    Rosebloome
    ✭✭

They are lore books of sort, just of a different sort. They do contain lore on the racial motif they represent. Sadly, they don't show up in the lore book section of the character info...

To be honest, I only collect them because certain races have certain styles I want... and I get most of mine via random bookshelf drops. Furniture drops come in a distant second. Just make sure you have inventory space for a lore book as there is no warning when you get one and don't have any space left.

Bookshelves? o.o You can get them out of bookshelves? I've never, ever gotten one out of a bookshelf and I'm VR1. :/

• k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosebloome wrote: »
    Wouldn't the best place to farm them would be to park a level 1 alt in coldharbour and keep opening the bazillion trunks in that place? Manage to get a bunch? No problem leave coldharbour to town, send them to main. delete alt, and start a new one?

That does not work for three reasons:

1) Max level for that Zone or Area is level 4
    2) Once a player hit max level for that zone or area, the monsters do not drop anymore loot
    3) You have limited inv space before one have to exit that area to see / trade off that loot.
    Also, the loot is mostly junk and stuff one can find in the "real" world anyways. Only one or two of items are even worth that besides one can those same items elsewhere in the game anyways. Really there is no point doing that.
  • loops73
    loops73
    ✭✭
    I sell them for 1000g each,i don't need to craft the same sword in 7 different styles when it will still have the same stats. ill make gold off the fools who do.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    Do Imperial motif books actually drop too? I have the Imperial Edition, but only one of my three crafters is Imperial. Hey, don't look at me like that-- I didn't want every character to be of the same race!
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LootDrop is your friend. A great add on that you use with auto loot. It displays what you just grabbed in a little window bottom right. It also displays XP as you earn it. Recommended.

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info35-LootDrop.html
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Thesiren wrote: »
    Do Imperial motif books actually drop too? I have the Imperial Edition, but only one of my three crafters is Imperial. Hey, don't look at me like that-- I didn't want every character to be of the same race!

I have IE and I've never seen an Imperial motiff. I hear rumors of them, but I've not seen them. Maybe in Cyrodiil?

I also have never found one in a bookshelf.

• poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right click on any armor or weapon and it will give any of your chars the option to make it into an Imperial piece. That's an Imperial edition feature.

• Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've only ever gotten motifs from trunks, backpacks and larger furniture like dressers, nightstands, desks, etc. Never from crate,sack,barrel(only ever provis from those) and never anything other than reading a book from a bookshelf.
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racial Motifs do not drop from bookshelves. Bookshelves are not loot containers at all. Instead they cycle through a selection of lore pamphlets, none of which can be looted. They can only be read.

You could farm them in a city. But as others have said and I've encountered, there seem to be some sort of anti-farming mechanic where containers are concerned. It'd take a lot of farming, but over time if you don't leave an area and just keep reloading, more and more of those containers will appear 'Empty' to you. This does not mean someone got to the loot before you. All loot is instanced. This means that you've looted everything in there too many times over a short period and the RNG is curbing your addiction.

Farming for motifs in the Wailing Prison tutorial used to be a worthwhile strategy...several betas ago. Their drop rate in that tutorial was lowered almost to the point of nonexistance precisely to curb exploitation of the tutorial. Since that change, I haven't found a single Motif in the tutorial. Not one.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    nudel wrote: »
    Their drop rate in that tutorial was lowered almost to the point of nonexistance precisely to curb exploitation of the tutorial. Since that change, I haven't found a single Motif in the tutorial. Not one.

I believe they actually changed what tier of drops could be found in coldharbor, no blues which means no books, and I think no greens either(so no recipes), only whites.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Rosebloome wrote: »

No the starting coldharbour isn't high enough level.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭

Right click on any armor or weapon and it will give any of your chars the option to make it into an Imperial piece. That's an Imperial edition feature.

Oh wow, I didn't know that, thanks!

• Woogawoman
    Woogawoman
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but doing so will bind the item to your account. You can't craft Imperial items that way for others. So folks are still wondering if lore books exist, so that anyone can eventually craft that style for trading, or if it will always only be Imperial crafters doing so.
    Aetherium Oblivion Alliance - 40+ Mature Gamers Guild (NA)
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial racial motifs exist. They are slightly more rare than the first 9. There are also unplayable motifs. Those are much more rare.
  • krees28b14_ESO
    krees28b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it was during one of the segments, prior to launch but during beta, where they were talking about crafting they exclaimed that there are 15 racial motifs in the game. The motifs allow you to craft gear in that racial style. Yes, there is an imperial motif but it is more rare than the original nine race motifs. The four known others are found in the veteran areas and they are Daedra, Ancient Elf, Barbaric and Primal. The last one, number 15, has yet to be seen, at least that I know of. So that leads me to believe that either no one has found it yet or that ZOS mis-quoted the number of motifs in game currently.
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but bookshelves have nearly been the only place I've gotten motifs from. Rarely do I get them from containers. After making a trip through the mage's guild's library after doing a quest I usually find at least one every 2-3 trips.