Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

SOLUTION TO: Keeping low inventory space in bag!

ShadowWolf613
ShadowWolf613
✭✭✭
So yesterday I found out all crafting material can be put into your personnel bank and still be used at crafting stations! Definitely helped my bag from taking up 30 slots down to 2-3. :P
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least, until your bank fills up. Which, if you do more than two or three crafts, it most certainly will.

The next option? Mule alt. :)
    Edited by BlackSparrow on April 11, 2014 5:35PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, additional bank slots seems to be bugged right now otherwise that is a great way to store stuff.

At the moment, i'm using several chars with upgraded backpacks since those don't seem to lose items like an expanded bank does when it bugs out.
    ;-)
    Edited by SirAndy on April 11, 2014 5:36PM
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am glad you found a new mechanic.

I am sad that it will be short lived.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• ShadowWolf613
    ShadowWolf613
    ✭✭✭
    ah yeah. I am only focusing on one craft with this character so itll due for me. But yeah making an alt to hold stuff would work as well
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Then once you have mules and alts to hold stuff, you get to play the really boring inventory mini-game! Of moving stuff into the back, logging on and off alts, pulling stuff out, putting other stuff in. I spend roughly 20mins every 2hrs of playtime doing that. Getting real tiresome.
  • Sorpaijen_ESO
    Sorpaijen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ditto - I have an Alchemy Alt, a Provisioning Alt, two Enchanter Alts (one of them holds all the runes while the other adventures then I swap them all to the other one while the other one adventures).... and I have an alt to carry To-Be-Researched items (53 held so far so not a lot of adventuring for THAT character)...

The fact we have to "work around" this... and spend SO much time micro-managing and logging in and logging out character after character.... and the HORDE of people at EVERY bank, should tell them something.

CRAFTING materials (only) need a separate inventory system. The base inventory system is fine for holding loot, costumes, vanity pets, trinkets, alternate gear sets, etc. But crafting has just TOO many components ---- a problem augmented, not assuaged, by the SHARED bank that all characters must use.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 main , 3 extra alts i lvl , 4 mules.

Well , i do get 22 hirelings mail/day , so i guess there were perks.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buying a second account for storage use only with all alts/bank works for me. Single account didn't work for me even with bank storage.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, I have 3 characters and 2 mules so far. 1 alt holds alchemy, the other most of the runes, 1 mule holds the items to be researched and the other holds the pets/maps/trinkets, and any provisioning mats my main doesn't have a recipe for.

I actually made a spreadsheet for the traits to save me a bit of guesswork and logins/logouts moving the items from my mule to my main every time her timers are up(and when she or alts finds items with traits)

The time it takes has gotten so annoying, I've actually chosen a couple times not to go out and play, because it would just mean more inventory sorting later. And that really sucks, to not want to play a game you love playing, because of the side effects of a bad inventory system.
    Edited by Seraseth on April 11, 2014 6:25PM
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...huh.

I have not yet made a mule alt, despite the fact that I have been levelling all six crafts. Fiddly inventory management is the reason why I've avoided it like Black Marsh.

The way I've been approaching inventory space is this: if I don't need it, I either research or break it down the next time I'm at a crafting station. If I can't do that, I sell it immediately. No storing researchable items away for a rainy day... I research as I get them. Between quest rewards and drops, this still keeps a steady stream of researchable items coming, so no need for stocking up there.

For the materials themselves... I'm using my bank JUST for blacksmithing, clothier, and woodworking, since those share some materials (namely, the motif items). My enchanter gets the dubious honor of carrying all her runes with her (in an upgraded pack, of course). When she reaches capacity, I construct and either enchant some items or sell the enchantments. Again, no keeping more than 1 or two for later.

My poor Khajiit is both my provisioner and my alchemist, so she gets the heaviest pack restrictions. Provisioning and potions are pretty much all make-and-sell at this point, with only a few select consumables that I'll give to all three characters.

It's less fiddly this way, anyway. Even if I do flinch every time I break down a blue or better item.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • spammichtotb16_ESO
    Muling is the way to go. So far I have resisted giving them stupid names and even played them for a few levels. I certainly support the idea of a separate crafting inventory for both bags and the bank.

Afaik, using items from bank is working as intended. I am quite sure I saw the mechanic mentioned in a dev post.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    So far I have resisted giving them stupid names and even played them for a few levels.

I'm guilty of that. Made a very ugly redguard named Guard Dog to hold all my waiting to research gear and old blues I'm saving for alts. And a snooty looking breton named The Gourmand Chef to hold my provisioning items.

At least I never forget who's carrying what :p

• SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muling is the way to go. So far I have resisted giving them stupid names and even played them for a few levels.
    I initially created 6 characters. I intended to leave the last two slots for character concepts I had set aside and the 6 core would only level as needed to get skill points for their given craft. However, I struggled with all of the enchanting materials and made two mules named thusly...

Imamule Cuz Enchantingsux and,
    Imamule Cos Enchantingsux.

Color me ashamed but alas they were created in a late night fit of rage. They remain steadfast at the bank and completely naked, even though equipped items are not inventory. :#
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    They remain steadfast at the bank and completely naked, even though equipped items are not inventory. :#

Pfff, at least I left mine with their dignity and soul-shriven rags intact! :p
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    even with mules inventory is a pita if you want to loot and craft, and then you spend hours playing the alt game shifting stuff around. For the OP, being able to use the bank stuff directly from the crafting station is working as intended and not a glitch.
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seraseth wrote: »
    They remain steadfast at the bank and completely naked, even though equipped items are not inventory. :#

Pfff, at least I left mine with their dignity and soul-shriven rags intact! :p
    Not these bozos. They are mindless husks and have no dignity. I utterly despise stupid non lore names and here I am with this on top of being naked. However, they are temps and I will remake them into real characters with their own personality profile and backstory.

... eventually.

... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• icengr_ESO
    icengr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    most mmo's include the inventory mini game, I don't know why. I hate the inventory mini game.

(and notice I said most, not all)
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    And be sure to feedback the inventory issue and possible joys of a separate crafting inventory. Since I hear feedback reports don't simply fall into a bottomless pit in this game, and instead are actually read, counted and considered.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not these bozos. They are mindless husks and have no dignity. I utterly despise stupid non lore names and here I am with this on top of being naked. However, they are temps and I will remake them into real characters with their own personality profile and backstory.

... eventually.

I intentionally made mine 'mule named' since I have a bad habit of adopting stray alts, and spending time leveling them and caring about them even if I already have one of their class and have no practical use for them.
  • claudekennilol
    claudekennilol
    ✭✭✭
    My first mule I named "Bank alts are dumb"

I am also sick and tired of playing the inventory management game and would love to experience this lovely gamed called ESO that I've heard so much about.
  • Aria
    Aria
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly wish they had used a system like GW2, where all your harvested materials automatically went into a special storage area that did not impact your regular bag or bank space.

Played lot of mmos with very complex crafting and gathering systems, and this is the first time I find myself doing more inventory management they actual playing.

As for the mules thats only a temporary solution since I plan on using all 8 slots in the 3 factions for actual game play not storage, they just need to revisit the inventory system and make some user friendly changes! :)

Crafted bags, chests and so forth would add some nice storage options as well as few more crafting recipes.
    Edited by Aria on April 11, 2014 7:43PM
    Silver Dragon Legion
    "The adult, casual no drama guild you've been waiting for!"
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...huh.

I have not yet made a mule alt, despite the fact that I have been levelling all six crafts. Fiddly inventory management is the reason why I've avoided it like Black Marsh.

Yea I only have two characters that have stuff in their inventory, my full time crafter (handling smith, clothing, woodworking and enchanting) and my 'main' (handling alchemy for now, maybe provisioning later). I upgraded the bank twice and both characters' personal inventories twice and really have no inventory issues. And I have a few things I'm saving to research as well.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not run into to much trouble with space. I am doing a lot crafting too. I keep only what I need, rest are sold / destroy. Almost thing, I make and used my "extra" inv and sale it for more room.

The system is working fine by me. I just have one main and one crafting alt.
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then once you have mules and alts to hold stuff, you get to play the really boring inventory mini-game! Of moving stuff into the back, logging on and off alts, pulling stuff out, putting other stuff in. I spend roughly 20mins every 2hrs of playtime doing that. Getting real tiresome.
    Agree. I'm spending way too much time logging in/out of my mule characters. They really need to have a separate inventory for materials. I just don't understand why they would make crafting so wonderfully expansive and then cripple it at inventory. Running back & forth across town a hundred times a day gets pretty old as well. Give us some ATM machines.
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    I intentionally made mine 'mule named' since I have a bad habit of adopting stray alts, and spending time leveling them and caring about them even if I already have one of their class and have no practical use for them.
    This is where I'm at with my Enchanter. I am coming into this form the series fan side and I will create many characters. Only to play one at a time. I say that, but I find myself developing these, dubbed "alts" , as they each have a story.

The Breton Chef (DC) wields his knife and cutting board. Thus, only daggers and wooden shields. He is a templar utilizing sunfire to roast the enemy. Middle aged, overweight and balding, food is his only passion.

The Bosmer Woodworker (DC) is a darker sort being possessed by a Markynaz. Accordingly dons heavy armor, wields a greatsword and uses lightning. She can craft anything of wood but lacks the skill to actually use them. When you are as gorgeous as she is... the rest matters little.

The Argonian Alchemist (EP) is an elderly shadowscale that didn't make the cut to become a real DB assassin. She is a skilled cloaking agent of the shadow but relies on a Restoration staff and her claws for CQC. She specializes in poisons, although not currently available in-game for anything but self usage.

The Orc Blacksmith (EP) comes from a long line of forgewives. She is on up in age and battlescarred form denying her forge roots of the Stronghold to forge her own way. She wields... the BIGGEST hammer she can find. With an intimidating stature she handles it effortlessly.

The Imperial Tailor (AD) is a wiry little bean pole of a man. He is a deranged and cold blooded killer that is fascinated with... flesh. The high quality of his leathers and varied garments are not questioned of their origins.

The Altmer Enchanter (AD) is another dark one. He is tied to the MQ and revels in the ability to command daedra to his will. Utilizing the soul magic, dark magic and summonings, he confuses the enemy as he finishes them with dual swords. This guy is my current focus and I can easily see him to end game as a vampire.

... damn, sorry for the off topic novel. :o

... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Dimachaerus
    So I guess you guys want infinite bank space?
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.

... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    icengr_ESO wrote: »
    most mmo's include the inventory mini game, I don't know why. I hate the inventory mini game.

(and notice I said most, not all)

This, so much. The inventory mini game gets in the way of my socializing, adventuring, and otherwise fun time.
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad you found a new mechanic.

I am sad that it will be short lived.
    Why? The developers have said they made it that way for easy crafting.
  • byghostlightrwb17_ESO

No. We just want to be able to play the game without having to worry about bag space after every hour or two of adventuring.

This game needs to have individual banks for each character and then a small shared bank for whatever you want to share (like certain crafting stuff), instead of one big shared bank.