Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

One, tiny, devastating bug needs quick fix.

• Ummaguma
    Ummaguma
    ✭✭✭
    I for one welcome our 5 skilled overlords!
    I may or may not be spending too much time with Sheogorath, but I cant help it... He makes the BEST Nachos! >:)
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Ummaguma wrote: »
    I for one welcome our 5 skilled overlords!
    Go back to.. nevermind.

• mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone reported him for obvious flame baiting, patronizing and being a prick? Otherwise I'll do it :)
  • Jiub18
    Jiub18
    Did he called the majority of MOBA players 2nd-graders..?
    "M'aiq thinks his people are beautiful. The Argonian people are beautiful as well. They look better than ever before."
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jiub18 wrote: »
    Did he called the majority of MOBA players 2nd-graders..?

Hell that's nothing compared to console players, he practically called them '***'.....
  • badamarclayrwb17_ESO
    play another mmos then /thread
  • Grayphilosophy
    Grayphilosophy
    ✭✭✭
    Let me try something daring and agree with Khaz's point here for a second.

If I understand correctly, he wants more slots on his hotbar for even larger variety. Being able to keep track of, and master a larger number of skills and abilities require more attention and so on. Yes, I agree with this. Completely.
    I'd even say that if I was able to make use of more or all of my skills at the same time I'd feel less restrained, and less conflicted about which abilities to use.

But!

As far as I also understand, skills and abilities in ESO all serve a specific use and utility, rather than being just another nuke button. All the different skill trees have a limited number of skills that can be mixed and matched according to preference or situation.

We have acces to a wide variety of skills but are limited to only a few at a time because the skillsets are not designed, to be able to master many, but to be able to skillfully master a few.

If we were able to throw all of our skills into one hotbar we'd all become immensely overpowered. This reduced toolset forces us to make the best of what we have available instead of just having everything available. If that makes sense.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's also a case of limited resource pools, not a cooldown based system. In other games you have a lot of abilities that are situational because they have cooldowns. The only 'cooldown' in this game for most (all?) abilities is if you have enough resource to use it. Having a ton of extra abilities on your bar wouldn't really accomplish much - you'd still be limited by the same pools. It really is a different system altogether.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is this thread still up?

For anyone confused by the OP: this is an intentional design choice, and it forces people like the OP to make strategic decisions about their hotbar loadout before going into battle. This is not WoW, and we are not supposed to be cluttering the screen up with 100+ buttons, only 5 of which are used regularly.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Zerl
    Zerl
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, so here was me thinking that this thread was about how science has proven that breeding honey badgers with ducks produces termite destroying pancakes....

Did it not make much sense?... thought so
  • Judge_Mental_One
    Only read about half of the first page, but here goes. The limit on the number of skills you have access to is not new to the genre and is a good system that increases rather than decreases build diversity. That said I can't help but think we should really have 1 more slot on the bar (for 6 skills and an Ult), 5 just doesn't seem to be quite enough to me.

Still the heartbreaking decisions this type of system forces you to make constantly are a good thing.
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    Well it's also a case of limited resource pools, not a cooldown based system. In other games you have a lot of abilities that are situational because they have cooldowns. The only 'cooldown' in this game for most (all?) abilities is if you have enough resource to use it. Having a ton of extra abilities on your bar wouldn't really accomplish much - you'd still be limited by the same pools. It really is a different system altogether.

So basically what you're saying is that it wouldn't change much to have more skills slotted, which I'll is something I'll totally get on board with. it's then a simple matter of diversity and options. No one would ever complain that there were too many armor skins because we love it when there's limitless ways we can set ourselves apart from other players. I personally feel the same way about play style. I want options.

A complex and diverse skill set COULD be a liability and a fundamental solid group of fewer skills could be advantageous. I strongly believe it is the role of, and most difficult challenge of a good development team allow the player to decide how to play.

Aside from controller button limits, there's one in arguable reason why we don't have these options. It's because it's frickin HARD to balance characters in an MMO. This should not be mistaken for a reason not to provide these options though. That's the job of development. My job is to pay them. If I don't like it, maybe I'll "go play WoW"
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Khazaad wrote: »
    If I don't like it, maybe I'll "go play WoW"

Indeed.
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Let me try something different.

In the card game Magic the gathering it's a standard rule that a player may have as MANY cards in his deck as he wants. Although the genre is very different the fundamental strategy in how you build your deck/player is very similar. If you have too many cards (too much diversity) in your deck, your actions will have a weak cohesion and the central purpose and build strategy will develop too slowly. The idea is to do more with less; efficiency over time. I just ask that we have the option to choose.

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me try something different.

In the card game Magic the gathering it's a standard rule that a player may have as MANY cards in his deck as he wants. Although the genre is very different the fundamental strategy in how you build your deck/player is very similar. If you have too many cards (too much diversity) in your deck, your actions will have a weak cohesion and the central purpose and build strategy will develop too slowly. The idea is to do more with less; efficiency over time. I just ask that we have the option to choose.

Hang on, let me check...

Nope, we're not playing Magic.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think that's hilarious. Give us the option to spread ourselves too thin and be ineffective.
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    I think that's hilarious. Give us the option to spread ourselves too thin and be ineffective.

what do you have against options exactly? or rather, tell me what you have against other people having them.

• jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    the original Everquest only allowed 8 spells on your spell bar (for casters or hybrids). As a melee, you didn't even get that many thigns to do.
    I for one love the idea that we all get 5 slots, plus one ultimate and a few Quickslots. You have to make decisions, you may not always have your "OMG-I-WIN" ability slotted, you may need to make a whole new bar/weapon set for dungeons...
    I don't see the big deal. Having my screen be 95% game and 5% ui is awesome :P
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    what do you have against options exactly? or rather, tell me what you have against other people having them.

I have no problem with useful options that could enhance the game.

I do have great issue with changing core design decisions just because it doesn't work like another game (intentionally so, at that). Did you ever look at the skill trees and wonder why they each only have 5 active abilities in them? This game has been designed from the ground up to be this way.

Now you do have the OPTION of equipping a second weapon (or the same) and giving yourself a second set of abilities. The requirement of course is hitting 15 first.