Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Discussion of Oceanic servers - When are they coming?

• just__jack_2006prb18_ESO
    I love this game I really truly do. However.

I recently reached the Veteran levels. I am glad that the difficulty of the game has increased. But continually having half your health annihilated by a basic mobs spell cast which is completely uninterruptable because by the time you even see the spell being cast it has already hit you is really really annoying me. Annoying me to the point where I have now cancelled my subscription and will never return unless Oceanic servers are made available.

I don't expect they ever will.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well if no Server they need to change the prime time Maintenance, if not. after this Sub ends i'm done, if they don't give a *** about me, i feel the same about them.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    What are the sales numbers in Australia? It's going to be a matter of cost benefit. It's not cheap to purchase/maintain a server.
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • just__jack_2006prb18_ESO
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    Well if no Server they need to change the prime time Maintenance, if not. after this Sub ends i'm done, if they don't give a *** about me, i feel the same about them.

Another reason why Oceanic servers are a must. We can bloody well play the game when the kids are settled down for a few hours any night of the week and have our dam maintenance in the middle of the bloody night.
  • pacmanatbest
    games like this just dont get enough hype in oceanic to warrant even trying to make a server
  • Cry_Wolfe
    Cry_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    id expect an asian server to be nearer to Singapore region than Korea tbh, far more central to a greater region, though ill admit that much of S/E Asia is of a lower economic order compared to the Sino/*** region.

To the OP, australia just doesnt have the population needed to support large gamer communities. 300-500ms latency was normal for me for WoW, but yeh i get what you were saying about Wow's "Oceanic" titled servers having a high density of Australian players.

I also agree with the comment that an active combat PvP system in an MMO style should be played with as little latency as possible, but once again its just not gonna happen for Australia, not unless we suck it up and try to get along with our neighbours and play on an Asian server.

Problem there is that the big Japanese market doesnt usually go for Western RPG titles, the only hope is for a chinese server, and you can bet the Chinese Government will not allow non-chinese to play on it.

Singapore is a rich market to tap for Western RPG's, so pushing for a SG server is probably the best bet.

PS: at least with a SG server we won't get shafted with maintenance times (would have to hope.. :P )
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    Oceanic will get a server when Australia gets a better prime minister....lol
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Trouvo wrote: »

I'm not sure it will be in any party's manifesto. 'If elected, I will bring Elder Scrolls Online to the Antipodes.'
  • PerfectTemplar
    Thete wrote: »

I'm not sure it will be in any party's manifesto. 'If elected, I will bring Elder Scrolls Online to the Antipodes.'

Haha, exactly. Australian politics has absolutely nothing to do with game servers.

Anyway, we have a large enough population and a very large gaming population in Australia, we even host PAX here which not even the UK does. Why is Europe getting a server when we have a more dominant gaming community the Australia?
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the sales numbers in Australia? It's going to be a matter of cost benefit. It's not cheap to purchase/maintain a server.

Zenimax hasn't released sales numbers for ESO sold anywhere and it's been more than 2 weeks since the offical launch. It would be unusual except that Zenimax a private corporation so they don't have to answer to anyone but their owners as opposed to publicly traded corporations like Activision Blizzard or EA which have to watch their stock prices and answer to their stockholders. But still, the silence on ESO sales stands out.

Based on the forum posts, most of the players are in the U.S. and UK by a huge margin, with more than 10 English forum posts to every 1 German and French forum post.

To keep it on thread, I'd doubt Zenimax will locate game servers in Oz. Not enough population. Not sure if Elder Scrolls resonates with the Asian audiences without localization.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    wrlifeboil wrote: »

Zenimax hasn't released sales numbers for ESO sold anywhere and it's been more than 2 weeks since the offical launch. It would be unusual except that Zenimax a private corporation so they don't have to answer to anyone but their owners as opposed to publicly traded corporations like Activision Blizzard or EA which have to watch their stock prices and answer to their stockholders. But still, the silence on ESO sales stands out.

Based on the forum posts, most of the players are in the U.S. and UK by a huge margin, with more than 10 English forum posts to every 1 German and French forum post.

To keep it on thread, I'd doubt Zenimax will locate game servers in Oz. Not enough population. Not sure if Elder Scrolls resonates with the Asian audiences without localization.

A lot of Europeans speak fluent English, so maybe they are posting in the English forums because that's where most of the players are posting.

f the create an oceanic server, they'd best be putting it in a more central location, such as Singapore, Japan, HK. After all connections from these countries to Australia are worse than connections to NA. So if they put a server in Australia, they'd have less people on them than if they put the servers in one of the above countries.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »

A lot of Europeans speak fluent English, so maybe they are posting in the English forums because that's where most of the players are posting.

f the create an oceanic server, they'd best be putting it in a more central location, such as Singapore, Japan, HK. After all connections from these countries to Australia are worse than connections to NA. So if they put a server in Australia, they'd have less people on them than if they put the servers in one of the above countries.

We have no idea on the number of ESO sales so it would be hard to even spitball where ZOS should be putting servers except for the U.S.

I remember reading the predictions on the old bethsoft ESO forums for ESO selling 5 million copies. WoW has servers in the U.S., EU, China and South Korea. They have the player base to support putting in the servers in those regions. As noted by many people already, WoW doesn't have servers in Australia.

• Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭

We have no idea on the number of ESO sales so it would be hard to even spitball where ZOS should be putting servers except for the U.S.

I remember reading the predictions on the old bethsoft ESO forums for ESO selling 5 million copies. WoW has servers in the U.S., EU, China and South Korea. They have the player base to support putting in the servers in those regions. As noted by many people already, WoW doesn't have servers in Australia.

I know we have no numbers, but if they wanted to support Asian/Oceanic players, servers would be better place in Japan, HK, etc... not Australia, pings are awful from these countries to Australia and players from those countries would still play on NA servers. So the server would be less populated.

It isn't a case of numbers, it's a case of good pings for the wider audience.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    Thete wrote: »

Haha, exactly. Australian politics has absolutely nothing to do with game servers.

Anyway, we have a large enough population and a very large gaming population in Australia, we even host PAX here which not even the UK does. Why is Europe getting a server when we have a more dominant gaming community the Australia?

That was in reference to changing how the country gets its internet access.... Current one is a moron...
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
  • PerfectTemplar
    That was in reference to changing how the country gets its internet access.... Current one is a moron...
    I understand that, but companies such as Zenimax can afford to pay for business grade fibre connections. Which is what all companies do.

I know we have no numbers, but if they wanted to support Asian/Oceanic players, servers would be better place in Japan, HK, etc... not Australia, pings are awful from these countries to Australia and players from those countries would still play on NA servers. So the server would be less populated.

It isn't a case of numbers, it's a case of good pings for the wider audience.

Actually, we have the numbers. It's foolish to believe we have less gamers per capita than the US or EU. We would be able to sustain a population on the TESO servers easily, considering phases are used already the only difference would be less phases. It would work as a single server, for example a single WoW server such as Frostmourne which is always high-full.

The idea we are less important because of an overall smaller population is ridiculous. Would you then say that the US is less important than Asia or Europe? Do you people from the United States not deserve the same access and rights to consumers as them? That is exactly how I feel.
    Edited by PerfectTemplar on April 22, 2014 10:07AM
  • PerfectTemplar
    Some stats for you guys; The oceanic servers on World of Warcraft take up over half a million of the player base. Most of these players live in the ANZ region.

And yes, that is a fair comparison. If we're paying $15 a month and this game only has 1/5th of WoWs subscribers, it's still more than enough to sustain a server and more than enough reason for us to be treated fairly.
    Edited by PerfectTemplar on April 22, 2014 10:27AM
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some stats for you guys; The oceanic servers on World of Warcraft take up over half a million of the player base. Most of these players live in the ANZ region.

And yes, that is a fair comparison. If we're paying $15 a month and this game only has 1/5th of WoWs subscribers, it's still more than enough to sustain a server and more than enough reason for us to be treated fairly.

It all depends on how many copies they sold. Anyway, to throw in more semi-useless data.
    Population of Australia in 2014: 23.5 million

Population of Texas in 2012: 26.1 million

Texas isn't even the most populous state in the U.S.
  • PerfectTemplar

It all depends on how many copies they sold. Anyway, to throw in more semi-useless data.

Oh, OK so the UK should be discarded aswell then? You are terrible, does this mean because Texas doesn't have the same population as New York that they shouldn't sell people from Texas the game? You're *** kidding me right? We pay more than people from the US to buy the game and the same to continue playing it.

And no, it isn't useless data. It is very safe to assume we have around 100,000 active Australian and New Zealand players as a minimum on TESO. Which would be WAY WAY more than enough to fund a server for us. I think we have closer to 250,000 players considering the hype in stores around the country for this game.
    Edited by PerfectTemplar on April 23, 2014 3:27AM
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, OK so the UK should be discarded aswell then? You are terrible, does this mean because Texas doesn't have the same population as New York that they shouldn't sell people from Texas the game? You're *** kidding me right? We pay more than people from the US to buy the game and the same to continue playing it.

And no, it isn't useless data. It is very safe to assume we have around 100,000 active Australian and New Zealand players as a minimum on TESO. Which would be WAY WAY more than enough to fund a server for us. I think we have closer to 250,000 players considering the hype in stores around the country for this game.

California has more people than Texas and Californians don't have their own ESO server. Why would a country with fewer people and in all likelihood fewer gamers than California rate its own server unless ZOS could make somehow make a crazy amount of profits?
  • PerfectTemplar

California has more people than Texas and Californians don't have their own ESO server. Why would a country with fewer people and in all likelihood fewer gamers than California rate its own server unless ZOS could make somehow make a crazy amount of profits?

That is completely unfair to say. Zenimax make heaps of money off Australians and a server here would cost less to maintain due to less players. The population of the server wouldn't be a problem and they wouldn't require as much server capacity making it cheaper. Besides, as I have said we already pay more than you Americans. Also, I believe Bethesda/Zenimax has an office in Sydney anyway, so it's not like they would have to completely start from scratch considering they already would have contracts with ISPs here.
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    @PerfectTemplar I believe it takes much more than what you just described in your previous post to open up a separate megaserver in Australia. Engaging and working with local ISP itself take some efforts to get a deal not to mention the running cost, hiring management staff, tech support and so on.

In addition, having an office in a particular area doesn't mean that it's easier to set up technical infrastructure as they are 2 very different things.

All in all, the major bulk of the decision making usually comes down to cost as we are talking about huge amount of money to invest here
    Altheina - Wood Elf Nightblade
    TESO Fun-fact 1: It takes to kill 119,050 mudcrabs to reach level 50
    TESO Fun-fact 2: There are 61 million items in the game
    TESO Fun-fact 3: There are 40,656,000 different weapon variations in the game
  • PerfectTemplar
    @PerfectTemplar I believe it takes much more than what you just described in your previous post to open up a separate megaserver in Australia. Engaging and working with local ISP itself take some efforts to get a deal not to mention the running cost, hiring management staff, tech support and so on.

In addition, having an office in a particular area doesn't mean that it's easier to set up technical infrastructure as they are 2 very different things.

All in all, the major bulk of the decision making usually comes down to cost as we are talking about huge amount of money to invest here

Blizzard did it for a non subscription game with ease. It costs them very little and besides you have been sucked in to this *** "mega server" crap they go on about. There is no MEGA server, it's just a normal server with with phases. They do it on GW2 and WoW aswell. Also, as I have previously said they can easily afford it based on the number of players they have. The only difference is they do not give names to their servers and you cannot sign up to a specific community. WoW servers in Oceanic are all on the same physical server but you can join different "sub-servers" which have names and create community.

Not only that but why would they need to hire more staff and tech support? No one does that, we can still access their current support system just like we do now. And also managing the servers is kind of the ISPs job....

And please...If it's not profitable to give us a server which is what we are paying monthly for, then we will all quit once we reach veteran content. You cannot afford to get hit by more than half of the aoe and miss more than half of the interrupts. It's less profitable if we all stop paying their monthly fee.
    Edited by PerfectTemplar on April 23, 2014 6:48AM
  • drschplatt
    drschplatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to pop in to share. I spend most of my year in Taiwan with summers in the USA and the occasional trip to Europe. Every game I've ever played with US servers has had lag issues when in Asia but not nearly the lag issues in the US or Europe. From talking to people who work for an ISP here in Taiwan, it seems that the technology and the infrastructure is just so much more developed on the Atlantic side than on the Pacific side. Some of it is due simply to the vast longer distances in the Pacific and due to a more difficult environment in the Pacific compared to the Atlantic.

So, yes, people from Europe may not be having lag, but it's very common for basic browsing, gaming, streaming and any other internet activity to be slower crossing the Pacific than crossing the Atlantic. I don't think it's out of line then to desire an Asia or Oceanic based server. Is it doable cost wise? Who knows, I don't have any knowledge regarding that. If it's possible it would be wonderful.

The average latency from Taiwan to the US servers is 250ms - 400ms depending on how busy the pipes are. That's harsh on PVP.
    Edited by drschplatt on April 23, 2014 8:13AM
    Foräois - Imperial Sorcerer of Ineptitude.
    Widoch - Nord Dragon Knight of Ignorance.
    Billy Bob - Dunmer Templar of Chicken and Noodles.
    Blades of Vengeance
  • Valison
    Valison
    ✭✭
    I am playing in Sydney, and am getting no discernible lag whatsoever. (Apart from spikes), but in general, it runs better than other MMOs I have played that actually have servers based in AUS
  • Mryo00
    Mryo00
    Soul Shriven
  • aus.thornerwb17_ESO
    aus.thornerwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Remember guys the NBN is coming.
    I think....
  • sirhellraiser
    PS us serve lags to
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, a year later and still nothing for an Oceanic Server? Well at least we got Imperial City.... Oh wait..... big surprise..... another delay.....

We will actually get Imperial City before there's an Oceanic server, if they EVER get one for you guys. ZOS likes to do things on one server to increase the lag play for us......
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Ashamam
    Ashamam
    Soul Shriven
    Being a heavily instanced environment I would think it would be a perfect fit for oceanic servers. Blizzard certainly made it work dependant on group makeup etc. Cyrodill would obviously be NA located. But dungeon runs and zones could be hosted locally, would be more than enough aussies to populate a local instance.