Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Two ideas to improve the economy.

UnknownXV
UnknownXV
✭✭✭
Hello,

I've been reading the forums to great extent since I procured this game last Friday, the 4th of April 2014 in addition to playing the game since this date (reading zone chat).

What I have noticed is a incoherent economy. However what I have also noticed is an heightened player and social connectivity (relative to other MMOs). What I mean by this is, interaction (even if minor) is increased. When two players wish to purchase something from each other, usually they meet up to do this, and prior they might barter a bit over private chat.

This is good. It reminds me a bit of the earlier days in Runescape. Trading was personal. I missed that. The current system is insufficient though, from the feedback I am seeing. I also agree. Which is why I propose these two suggestions:

#1 - This is the primary idea.

A local trading board in each major city of a zone. This trading board would be as it says, local. Not server wide, but purely for that area. You may be asking why I'm not referring to this as an auction house. Good question, and there is an important distinction. An auction house is listing an item, with a starting price and a buyout price. This is too automatic. You lose what I was describing earlier, the social spark that even minor interactions like bartering and general trading enable.

So, whereas in an auction house most processes are automatic and far more anonymous, a trading board would simply allow you to list something you wish to sell, but not the price. If you wished to purchase it, there'd be an option to both send a private message to the seller, or to send them mail. Thus perpetuating interaction. Currently the only viable means of trading is through guild stores. Which are okay, but I don't think they should be the only serious option.

#2 - This is quite straightforward. Add a trade channel (local only once more). Simple, allows people to broadcast their wares without flooding zone chat.

That's it. I think these two ideas would significantly improve trading. Let me know what you think.
  • Sojan
    Sojan
    ✭✭
    I am Sojan Amina and approve of this message; well, at the most "Idea #2" with one exception; that the Trade channel may be toggled on/off.

Auction House: No bueno!
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no issue with instituting a trade channel. I have a difficult time foreseeing the functionality or ease of use of the first idea.
  • byghostlightrwb17_ESO
    There is nothign wrong with the economy in this game, it is just different than what so many other successful clones games have done. I like the way this game makes crafting rich and vital part of the experience. If thats not your thing questing gives some amazing things. Explore guild stores, explore your own guild banks.

The thing with trade channels, no one ever uses them, people WTS to sell still always seem to go to general chat to sell anyway.
  • Laerian
    Laerian
    ✭✭✭
    #1 No point in creating local Auction Houses if the people have to message the seller. Not all cultures use haggling; besides that, direct interaction is uncomfortable for many people, that's why you can see them in other mmorpgs using the "freaking" Auction Houses instead of trading directly.

#2 I agree that a trade channel is needed however it doesn't solve the problem
  • UnknownXV
    UnknownXV
    ✭✭✭
    Interacting with other people online is not uncomfortable, and of course is only necessary if you wish to buy or sell something. It's not forced, it's just convenient, and forges social bonds. I referenced Runescape before because it had a profound impact on my MMORPG experience. It's hard to describe just how positive an effect it has on the game.

Another thing that could work well, trading forums.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    UnknownXV wrote: »
    Interacting with other people online is not uncomfortable, and of course is only necessary if you wish to buy or sell something. It's not forced, it's just convenient, and forges social bonds. I referenced Runescape before because it had a profound impact on my MMORPG experience. It's hard to describe just how positive an effect it has on the game.

Another thing that could work well, trading forums.

Not uncomfortable for you maybe, but for other it most certainly is. Try stepping out of your bubble and use a little empathy in regards to your fellow players. You'll find that while some may be similar ..none are alike.

Guilds in and of themselves do build communities and forge bonds. Making them the only way to trade diminishes that greatly.

"I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • UnknownXV
    UnknownXV
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure you read my suggestion?

I have no intention of changing anything related to how guild stores functions now, that isn't what this is about. The trading board would be publicly accessible to anyone, voiding the necessity of joining a guild. You can simply look at what is posted there, contact whoever is selling what you want, and agree to a mutual price that satisfies you both.

I don't see anything scary or bad about that. :smile:
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Trade channel is a great idea as long as it is enforce by no longer allowing items to be linked in Zone Chat.
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Trade channel is a great idea as long as it is enforce by no longer allowing items to be linked in Zone Chat.

Hm, I never thought of this idea. I could handle a trade channel if they implemented that.
  • ShacktheMenace
    I'm completely into the idea of a local trade channel and a local trading post. The major keyword being local, because it makes sure that we maintain that social connection that an MMORPG requires to be immersive. I want a player to have to put up a trading offer onto a trading post, and then get a note back with a location for the two to meet up.

It might be a tad inconvenient for those who mass-purchase crafting materials, but then again, I'd assume you guys wouldn't want to encourage those types of people.
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    1up for a Trade Channel, i miss some sales or buys i want as i have to turn off zone chats as its RMT party fest in there and i need more variety than the 2 trade guilds i'm currently in
    Edited by Tiyamel on April 12, 2014 6:56AM
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)