Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The Elder Scrolls without cloak

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The devs already stated why they made the choice to not attempt cloaks. This is a dead topic not worth pursuing.
  • Elember
    Elember
    ✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    The devs already stated why they made the choice to not attempt cloaks. This is a dead topic not worth pursuing.

Well maybe you should at the very least enlighten us as the why the devs did not attempt cloaks? Just to come into the thread and say they did and then not back that up with a link or at the very least a written reason that the devs gave is not all that helpful now is it...

• ShadowWolf613
    ShadowWolf613
    ✭✭✭
    look on one of there Q&A posts. They stated it on one of them
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    look on one of there Q&A posts. They stated it on one of them

Thanks. Managed to find it here Q&A:No cloak implemented in future

No explanation given though :(
    Altheina - Wood Elf Nightblade
    TESO Fun-fact 1: It takes to kill 119,050 mudcrabs to reach level 50
    TESO Fun-fact 2: There are 61 million items in the game
    TESO Fun-fact 3: There are 40,656,000 different weapon variations in the game
  • Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Question for the OP:

What Elder Scrolls game has cloaks without adding them via a mod?
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    Carde wrote: »
    Question for the OP:

NIghtingale Armor

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question for the OP:

NIghtingale Armor

Well, that doesn't exactly count as a cloak, since it was a chest piece. You couldn't wear a cloak over regular armor.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Question for the OP:

NIghtingale Armor

Well, that doesn't exactly count as a cloak, since it was a chest piece. You couldn't wear a cloak over regular armor.

Yeah we're talking about real cloaks, but I guess they could have technically done something similar to the Nightingale style with some pieces in TESO.

I've never understood why the ES games seemed to shy away from things like cloaks and spears, though. Its just sort of a tradition now I guess.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Elder scrolls has never been big on cloaks. You can get cowls with certain Light Armor motifs, but cloaks are not really a TES thing. I'd like one for my Nightblade too (I already made her a hood), but we'll just have to find other ways to look cool.

Yeah, I remember people killing Shady Sam in Oblivion just to get the black cowl ...

"Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Dagyr
    Dagyr
    Since they've never been in a TES game before, I can't really see them being added unfortunately. Also, while they might be used in combat in a few cases, cloaks traditionally were used for comfort while travelling or in climates where it was really necessary - they may not have hindered your fighting too much, however, they would likely create unnecessary weight and gave enemies another spot for leverage (imagine being in an epic fight, when suddenly an enemy grabs the hem of your cloak and pulls you off balance, etc). They just don't serve much of a practical combat purpose (unless you have a cloak made of chain-mail or something similar to lamellar armor, but damn would that be heavy and off-balancing).
    Edited by Dagyr on April 8, 2014 8:01PM
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood why the ES games seemed to shy away from things like cloaks and spears, though. Its just sort of a tradition now I guess.
    Spears were pre-Oblivion.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Elember wrote: »
    You could get a mod for Oblivion that allowed you to get a cloak and it was very well done indeed. Proper flow to it when you moved, no clipping at all, so it obviously can be done and I don't see why Zenimax decided to leave it out of the game.

I think Skyrim had a similar mod as well. So if modders can manage cloaks there is really no excuse for the devs to leave them out of their game.

Do you have a link to the Oblivion mod? I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Every cloak mod that I tested for Oblivion - and I mean every one including those that were later incorporated into FCOM and other overhaul mods - clipped at the neck of your armor or had that ugly square area around the neck. Flow was generally not the problem - although early cloaks had that weird floating model. The problem was clipping.

The only one that didn't clip solved the problem by incorporating the cape into the armor itself - so it was actually part of the armor model and not a separate item of clothing. This was included as part of OOO and looked great. But your cloak couldn't be removed unless you took off your armor.

Cloaks of Skyrim - probably the best Skryim cloak mod - managed cloaks quite well. There were minor clipping issues at the neck if your tried to use the linen cloaks with heavier armors but overall the experience was quite satisfying. Problems arose during combat or as your character moved, parts of your body would pass through (clip) the cloak. For beast races, their tales were removed to prevent them poking through.

But yeah, it was okay. It could have been done with either minor clipping or by making the cloaks specific to a particular piece of armor. But ZeniMax chose not to do it.

I suppose what they really need to do is let people make mods for the game.

• Daenerys
    Daenerys
    ✭✭✭✭
    what about Nightingale armor? that had a cloak! :P here's hoping it will come back when they implement the Thieves Guild :)
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    I still believe that Zenimax could have implemented cloak into the game, however, for some reason they didn't...

I don't think it's due to the fact that Elder Scolls lore won't allow it based on the fact that the heroes in teso trailer do wear them...
  • Krision
    Krision
    ✭✭
    we have a space prepared for cloaks. probably in between as addons
    DK tank v16
    Templar DPS v16

I will kill your monsters!!
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Daenerys wrote: »
    what about Nightingale armor? that had a cloak! :P here's hoping it will come back when they implement the Thieves Guild :)

Yes, that armor was freakin awesome.

I'd be happy if they just made them for a few specialty items.

• Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sihnfahl wrote: »

Yeah but I mean, why were they never seen again? Makes no sense.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah but I mean, why were they never seen again? Makes no sense.
    For the same reason short swords, flails, and two handed dai-katanas are no longer a thing. They consolidated a lot of the weapon skills as the games became more simplified.

Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • aedra
    aedra
    ✭✭✭
    The most amusing thing are khajiit and argonian tails with capes. The tails tended to go through the model, rather than underneath.

And you wouldn't want a nord wearing a khajiiti or argonian-style cape.

Well, why not? ES is about freedom of choice, isn't it. ;) There are eccentric individuals of every race. But yes, its disappointing there are no capes. I understand they take much work to implement but I'm going to honest here: we're paying 15 a month and this is one of the things should be implemented as part of the fee we're paying. Cloaks/capes add soooo much to a character's look.
    Edited by aedra on April 10, 2014 12:38AM
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind seeing them, but I don't think cloaks are exactly 'integral' to the TES series.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • jolith07b14_ESO
    If it would effect performance or frame rate I would say dont do it. In any zone except cyrodill would be okay... personally I would rather have flags and or standards though.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it would effect performance or frame rate I would say dont do it. In any zone except cyrodill would be okay... personally I would rather have flags and or standards though.

Indeed. I'd much rather have guild tabards than cloaks.