Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Race Change?

Melville
Melville
So I've been playing my Nord for quite a while now, yet I regret going Nord..
Is it possible that we could Race change, or even Faction change at some point?
(Hopefully soon)..
  • Twistedmind
    Twistedmind
    ✭✭
    I don't know how to say this to you @Melville‌ but...
    There are multiple options what you have here.

Log out - Create a character is one of them, if you have Imp edition you can make any race to any faction.
    Egypt and Antarctica kills off more investigators each year than cancer does.
    Old Call of Cthulhu fact.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Search functions, people. Search functions. There are so many posts about this stuff.

You cannot currently resculpt, race change, sex change, or barbershop your character. People are expecting some of this to be implemented later, but we do not know. Your only option is to reroll.
  • Seroczynski
    Seroczynski
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps later for a real-money fee, but don't count on it. Your best bet is to reroll a new character and take a little more time on deciding race this time.
    “To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.” ― Homer J. Simpson
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Log out - Create a character is one of them, if you have Imp edition you can make any race to any faction.

To clarify that's actually a preorder perk, the Imperial edition just also gives you the Imperial race as an option too.
  • Melville
    Melville
    I haven't found any information considering it myself apart from a FAQ but I thought I asked the players, not all that is said is stated in their FAQs.

I would expect this feature to be implemented into the Shop, as it currently is we cannot even change our hairstyles.
    On the note, they do offer a Horse on their Shop for 11 euros.

I do not intend on rerolling I've been levelling with my friend and I am quite sure neither of us would be entertained if I were to start over from my mid 20 levels.

Thank you for the response though, it was both swift and direct.
  • Twistedmind
    Twistedmind
    ✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »

To clarify that's actually a preorder perk, the Imperial edition just also gives you the Imperial race as an option too.

Damn, forgot to mention that.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Imperial Edition allows you to use the Imperial race, which does allow you to place that Imperial character in whatever alliance you wish.

The ability to place any race in any alliance was a pre-order bonus.
  • Melville
    Melville
    Do any of you see a reason for Faction / Race changes?
  • Twistedmind
    Twistedmind
    ✭✭
    Melville wrote: »

What do you mean with this?
    Reason to give a player ... possibility to change their Faction/Race in flight like in f.e. World of Warcraft?
  • Melville
    Melville
    Exactly what it is yes, the possibility for people to change their faction and or race, and even character name on the go, perhaps with a few days cooldown for balancing issues naturally.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really see a problem with it as faction identity is kind of out the window anyway what with the preorder bonus and also communications/guild being account based (i.e. having all three factions in the same guild talking to eachother). I'm sure it's something they could make a decent amount of money on putting a price on it like other games that offer those services do.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Resculpting and barber shops? Sure, though the former is much less warranted than the latter. But race change? This is what alts are for.
  • Twistedmind
    Twistedmind
    ✭✭
    Maybe in the future @Melville‌ ... maybe in the future.
    Now you just log out, create a new character and enjoy.
  • Melville
    Melville
    One spends a lot of time on their characters, why would a race change then be out of the question?
    It is not as if it hinders you from accomplishing anything, it is merely a cosmetic detail for most of us, yet a boon for the more experienced PVE or PVP fans, as racial skills do matter for them, you think they should reroll their character simply to fit into their PVE or PVP role better while they could just pay for a race change, this would be a good income aswell.
    Edited by Melville on April 8, 2014 2:09PM
  • Xezzu
    Xezzu
    ✭✭✭

A reason? No. I'm not sure there is a 'reason'. It would be convenient, yes. I mean, some of us may eventually get bored of our character's look eventually while others may feel that deviating from that would take away from the spirit of what they feel their character is. So I say at the very least, it would be an option.. not a reason, though I suppose one could argue 'the option could be the reason', but I digress.

I think at this point in the game, with it not already being something that is being offered, it may be unfair for something like that to be expected (not that you said you expected it, just clarifying). There are tons of things out there that need to be fixed (we all know this) and other various concepts I am sure they have their eyes on right now (such as Adventure Zones). With the game still being so fresh, many people are still experimenting with classes, trying out new races and what-not.

I guess what I mean is: sure, it's very likely on their list of things to do, but I seriously doubt it's very high up as far as priority. I'm no developer, never have been or intend to be, so I could very well be wrong.

We must all aspire to better ourselves, to better our person and to better our quality; but no matter how much better we become, no single one of us will ever be better than all of us combined.
  • Melville
    Melville
    Your post makes sense, but exactly the experimenting of people would allow for the possibility of changing into a different race and even faction when we wish to do so.

I personally bond with my characters and deleting them would be an utter shame, not to mention a waste of time if all I would have differently would be my race for example.
    Many people may not have a problem with deleting their characters, yet I am quite sure that there are many that do certainly have a problem with deleting it.

And as I said before, they already offer a Horse in the Shop, could we see more in the foresee-able future?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I imagine they didn't just create that shop to sell a horse :P

Who knows what else they'll put in (I think they mentioned pets).
    Edited by Shimond on April 8, 2014 2:19PM
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One spends a lot of time on their characters, why would a race change then be out of the question?
    It is not as if it hinders you from accomplishing anything, it is merely a cosmetic detail for most of us, yet a boon for the more experienced PVE or PVP fans, as racial skills do matter for them, you think they should reroll their character simply to fit into their PVE or PVP role better while they could just pay for a race change, this would be a good income aswell.

Yes. To me it is a lesser version of allowing a class change - leveling and putting the time into one set of skills, then suddenly being allowed to use all of that work to access a different set of skills you didn't work for.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »

The physical Imperial Edition came with the code to pick any race for any faction in the box, FYI.

The Digital Edition does not.
  • Melville
    Melville
    RakeWorm wrote: »

Yes. To me it is a lesser version of allowing a class change - leveling and putting the time into one set of skills, then suddenly being allowed to use all of that work to access a different set of skills you didn't work for.

Race or Faction changing does not alter your starting class, or rather it should not, if going by how other MMO's utilize this same feature.
    Edited by Melville on April 8, 2014 2:28PM
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »
    The physical Imperial Edition came with the code to pick any race for any faction in the box, FYI.

The Digital Edition does not.

Interesting. Can you still get the physical Imperial Edition post-launch? I don't think digitally upgrading to it if you didn't preorder gives you that.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Race or Faction changing does not alter your starting class, or rather it should not, if going by how other MMO's utilize this same feature.

I realize that. I was using it as an example of why I don't like the idea. I view it as the same kind of thing, just less drastic.
  • Twistedmind
    Twistedmind
    ✭✭
    They already offer a Horse in the Shop, could we see more in the foresee-able future?

I guess anything is possible... then in the future.
    My crystal ball is kind of cloudy and misty.. cannot tell for sure.

• Melville
    Melville

I realize that. I was using it as an example of why I don't like the idea. I view it as the same kind of thing, just less drastic.

I would compare how the feature would work in WoW- I am sure there are many other games that use the feature, but this being the only one I know of..
    It has not impacted overall gameplay in that game, if anything it has helped balance the player numbers between the two factions.
  • Twistedmind
    Twistedmind
    ✭✭
    I would compare how the feature would work in WoW- I am sure there are many other games that use the feature, but this being the only one I know of..

And how many years was World of Warcraft out before that feature?
    This game has been out X days and your already whining because your bored on your character...

Really now let me try to make it understandable for you @Melville‌
    We don't know if that feature is coming or when that feature is coming.

Just log out and make a new character.
  • Melville
    Melville

And how many years was World of Warcraft out before that feature?
    This game has been out X days and your already whining because your bored on your character...

Really now let me try to make it understandable for you @Melville‌
    We don't know if that feature is coming or when that feature is coming.

Just log out and make a new character.

It is not whining, have you already forgotten what I had said before?
    If you do not intend to stay -nice- on a topic, you should simply stop responding.
    I am not bored of it, I would simply like to change it, nowhere have I stated that I want the feature here and now.
    The point of a forum is to chat with other people about these kind of topics should you have forgotten.

On the note though, it may have taken WoW years to get this feature.
    It does NOT have to take years for others to get the feature.
    Edited by Melville on April 8, 2014 2:53PM
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do not intend to stay -nice- on a topic, you should simply stop responding.

Have you been to the internet?
  • Melville
    Melville

Have you been to the internet?

The internet is not to be generalized, I have participated on plenty of forums where one can communicate on a good level. ;-)
    Edited by Melville on April 8, 2014 2:58PM
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Race/Faction changes remove the incentive to start a new character and keep paying the sub fee :-). WoW is a bad comparison because it has been out long enough that they've made their money back (and substantial profit) and can be more flexible. I don't think you'll see this anytime soon, if at all.

As for a barbershop, costume shop type idea this could be incorporated later but probably won't be a high priority over adding new quest content, working on expansions, etc. I think someday we will see this though.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Twistedmind
    Twistedmind
    ✭✭
    @Melville‌ I agree with you forums are made to talk about things concerning the game it self. But were not able to know what happens in the future or what will happen in the future with this game..

And many - me included have already posted to you that easy solution is log out and create a new character.. and also stated that who know what will come in the future.

Meaning there is the talk - talk is done - and still you keep talking about it... which is like talking to a child who keeps asking same thing over and over and over again even though adults stated "No you cannot have that."

Now we agree with you about possible future visions. But they aren't here now and might not be here ever. /end of topic.