Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Pre-emptive "Don't nerf PVE" thread

South_of_Heaven
South_of_Heaven
✭✭✭
I love this game and it's difficulty (although at times I find it too easy). I really don't want to see ZOS following the same "carrot on a stick" tactics other companies follow. "Tactical" nerfing is a policy of almost every mmorpg out there and it's terrible.

Every time before a new patch hits or some time passes after a content update or release, companies tend to nerf the content undermining everything players did up until that point and making the content ridiculously easy.

The two most obvious examples are bosses/progress walls and leveling pace. Bosses are nerfed to the ground in order to be "accessible" by everyone. Leveling pace is made faster undermining both what the player did and the content itself.

Let us never see this kind of thing in this beautiful game.
  • Hodorius
    Hodorius
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed!
    At least wait until the average player hit lvl 50 before making it as hard as eating candy.
    Edited by Hodorius on April 8, 2014 10:44AM
  • Greyhaven
    Greyhaven
    ✭✭
    I just don't see it happening because TESO isn't about end game or "winning" and honestly as a dirty casual I can attest the game is already accessible enough.
  • amysue23_ESO
    amysue23_ESO
    ✭✭
    Except that for an MMO, you should never be FORCED to solo any quest. Period.
  • Memnock
    Memnock
    ✭✭✭
    You still grinding about the solo stuff huh ?! :) this is a story driven MMO , part of the game is playing your own class story , you know... just like in the TESO games, which this game's lore and combat is based on... If you do not enjoy the solo stuff , no one is forcing you to do it , there are alternatives to getting to max level through zone quests , like going to Cyrodill and completing the dailies there and doing pvp :) I enjoy a little of both :) To be honest , i actually like the fact that there are areas where only my character is allowed to go , i mean have to been to public dungeons and delves lately ? there is always a horde of idi... players who are farming the crap out of the end boss , and you got to be lightning fast to get 1 hit in so you get the achievement , cuz if you are not , then the boss melts in under 8 seconds , seriously , it takes 8 -10 seconds tops to melt a dungeon boss , with an average group of 6-8 players circling the spawn point like a bunch of sharks.
    So yeah... i would be extremely pissed off , if my personal quest would be filled with a bunch of dude running around and not allowing me to finish my class story.

@ the OP , sorry for ranting off toppic , but the solo questing thing just got my attention :blush:
    Edited by Memnock on April 9, 2014 8:09AM
  • Genev
    Genev
    ✭✭
    Actually, if you want access to the VR area, you HAVE to do the main solo quest.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    123145161% agree

DON'T NERF the PvE Content after a Few bigger content update......
  • South_of_Heaven
    South_of_Heaven
    ✭✭✭

Err... how is that relevant to this thread again?

• Cydramech
    Cydramech
    ✭✭
    Exactly, OP.

It's time an MMO quits nerfing its PvE content. Let's start here. ('sides, if you're a casual player - your problem is with time constraints, not the difficulty.)
  • South_of_Heaven
    South_of_Heaven
    ✭✭✭
    Cydramech wrote: »
    Exactly, OP.
    It's time an MMO quits nerfing its PvE content. Let's start here. ('sides, if you're a casual player - your problem is with time constraints, not the difficulty.)
    Greyhaven wrote: »
    I just don't see it happening because TESO isn't about end game or "winning" and honestly as a dirty casual I can attest the game is already accessible enough.

Heh, now that people reached Molag Bal and Mannimarco, "omg nerf" threads keep popping up and I hope ZOS understands that most of these are "rage of the moment" kind of threads and that the majority appreciates the difficulty.
    Edited by South_of_Heaven on April 10, 2014 10:26AM
  • South_of_Heaven
    South_of_Heaven
    ✭✭✭
    edited
    Edited by South_of_Heaven on April 10, 2014 10:26AM
  • D00fD1ll4
    D00fD1ll4
    ✭✭
    I 100% agree with the OP.

Also, I don't even think that it is *this* difficult. Doable even for a casual like me, if played right.

What I love the most:

No Pay to Win!
    Edited by D00fD1ll4 on April 10, 2014 6:42PM
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of nerfing -- allow grouping for the forced solo content... You won't be getting all these complaints about people (including me, I admit) who have extreme difficulty with some, but not all of the forced solo content.

I'd much prefer grouping instead of nerfing -- that way the people who can handle this solo, can do it solo --
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Im just incredibly worried the friend of mine Im playing with(that already dies constantly) isnt going to be able to finish the storyline.

Not the most skilled player to begin with and having dialysis hookups in his left arm makes using his left hand a pain in the butt sometimes. Hes going to be pissed if he cant join me for VR content because theres no way to brute force by outleveling the last few quests.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is possible to get into coldharbour by teleporting to another player there. Just have him/her follow you around until he/she is able to pick up the main quest. At least that is how I got there during the long term beta. It should still work.
  • Lysistrata
    I agree, to a point. A few of the boss battles are a little too difficult (like Norion in Tanzelwil - I got stuck on him for whole weekends in the beta and only just defeated him for the first time today, felt damn good), but in the main, it's nothing unmanageable.
  • F1MBULW1NT3R
    F1MBULW1NT3R
    Soul Shriven
    I'm one of the people seriously hoping for a PvE nerf, I'm currently stuck on the Valley of Blades quest as well as Songs of Sovngarde. I last tried Valley of Blades at level 36 and died 12+ times in the process with my armor wearing out from near full condition to completely broken. I killed the Titan without issue, but the skeletons gave me hell, after dying several times and only managing to kill the first 2 skeletons that spawn on their own, I decided to quit and wait till at least level 40, so I went back to eastmarch for some more quests, and eventually made it to the Songs of Sovngarde quest, where I wore out a freshly crafted set of level 38 armor, dying several times to Fildgor Orcthane, decided to look around on the internet for tricks to beat him, saw a youtube video of someone kiting him with a bow and decided to try that method. I didn't have a bow on my character so settled for a destruction staff which I had looted from some mobs earlier in the quest, the fight was going well, I got his health down to about 20%, then he killed me with an off-screen ranged melee attack from behind with no warning. I've decided to cancel my subscription for now, a real shame as I had thoroughly enjoyed the game up until this point. If the PvE gets a rebalance I'll renew my subcription, otherwise ESO is over for me once my included 30 days ends.
  • Darastix
    Darastix
    ✭✭✭
    IMO the easiest solution would be to allow players to get help from their friends, this is a Massive Multiplayer Game after all. Forcing players into a Solo experience, especially against elite level mobs is ridiculous. So far I've been lucky with killing those mobs myself, but its frustrating listening to some of my friends struggle repeatedly, and knowing that i cannot help them.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darastix wrote: »
    IMO the easiest solution would be to allow players to get help from their friends, this is a Massive Multiplayer Game after all. Forcing players into a Solo experience, especially against elite level mobs is ridiculous. So far I've been lucky with killing those mobs myself, but its frustrating listening to some of my friends struggle repeatedly, and knowing that i cannot help them.

Make and give them Better gear....
    or help them level up in the open world a bit befor going for that quest.....

these bosses aren't realy that hard........

but i agree there should not be Solo ONLY content in a MMO game

there should be solo content but not solo only ones......
    Edited by Zordrage on April 12, 2014 3:19PM
  • twisteddm
    twisteddm
    Soul Shriven
    While I also enjoy the challenge (nothing beats the thrill of a close win against a boss) and I agree that the overall difficulty shouldn't be nerfed, I do feel that either A) Grouping in solo content or B ) an adjustable difficulty option is implemented (for the solo missions only) for those who aren't skilled enough or suffer some form of disability that makes playing the game hard enough already.

My girlfriend is one of these people, she lacks the reflexes and coordination necessary for some of the more challenging fights and she becomes easily frustrated by losing in (to her) an unfair manner. In all of the solo content missions so far, I have had to beat the final boss for her, something that is seriously dampening her enthusiasm for a game she has been hoping for since first setting eyes on Skyrim.

Being able to enter her instance to help out, or having her complete an easier version of the instance would in no way undermine the story, gameplay or indeed anyone else's achievements in the game.
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree some of the bosses are challenging but that's how it should be. You don't feel any sense of accomplishment otherwise.

Last night I finally beat Pelidil (solo) after a week of trying. When I beat him I jumped out of my chair and fist pumped. My wife even cheered for me (she knew I had been struggling with him for a while).

That's how beating a zone boss should feel. Maybe this week I'll be able to take on the hound.
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As some have pointed out this is an MMO, which means it has lots of players of different levels of interest, skill, free time, and experience. Saying that people who don't have lots of free time to theorycraft and practice using the best character builds -- yet who are paying for access -- should have to face harder challenges because experienced players might get bored isn't a viable business option. At the same time, telling players who want a greater challenge that they can't have it because the level of difficulty must be more accessible for all might lead to players who've gained enough experience to want more demanding content to stop playing. That's not good business either.

There seem to be a few boss fights in 1-50 content that are not geared consistently with other content of the same level, and those can be smoothed out. Yet difficulty should get progressively harder as content closes in on level 50 and beyond. Allowing more group play might help, maybe an option for grouping in some cases that grants less xp and poorer loot? But if it is going to remain solo content I keep thinking of the difficulty settings for single-player games as well as extra tips for those kinds of games when you keep failing enough times. Surely there is some way to help some of the more casual players get past jams and improve for future performance that still allows other more seasoned players to play hard. Definitely having friends to smith better gear and go leveling with is a good start.

Personally I've had a couple of boss battles so far that seemed rigged a little high, so I've had to improvise and alter my approach. It's really frustrating until you get the right tactic, but it does point out where my build or fighting style needs work.

Edit: I must have skipped over twisteddm's reply, which said a lot of the same things. So to add something constructive, I've been playing since late beta and apparently misunderstood some of the combat dynamics. I thought 1) you had to block a telegraphed melee power attack just before the wind-up ends, 2) that you could block attacks that have a red circle on the ground, and 3) that you should block a spell attack by hitting both left/right mouse at once. I made it through nearly 40 levels with those mistakes, and for some who are struggling brief videos like this might help them to improve versus tough opponents. Not saying it's a cure-all, but figuring just those three things out had a real impact on my combat effectiveness.
    Edited by tinythinker on April 12, 2014 6:42PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    twisteddm wrote: »
    While I also enjoy the challenge (nothing beats the thrill of a close win against a boss) and I agree that the overall difficulty shouldn't be nerfed, I do feel that either A) Grouping in solo content or B ) an adjustable difficulty option is implemented (for the solo missions only) for those who aren't skilled enough or suffer some form of disability that makes playing the game hard enough already.

My girlfriend is one of these people, she lacks the reflexes and coordination necessary for some of the more challenging fights and she becomes easily frustrated by losing in (to her) an unfair manner. In all of the solo content missions so far, I have had to beat the final boss for her, something that is seriously dampening her enthusiasm for a game she has been hoping for since first setting eyes on Skyrim.

Being able to enter her instance to help out, or having her complete an easier version of the instance would in no way undermine the story, gameplay or indeed anyone else's achievements in the game.

Really good friend of mine is like that and stupid difficulty will make him quit.

Ive been trying to get him to play another game with me for months. He wouldnt play wow even after offering to buy it. "I dont want to play an old game" he says.

And being in Sweden, its not like I can go over there and do it *for* him. I cant afford 1200 in airfare every time he gets stuck!
  • theerin
    theerin
    I agree with OP. There have been a few fights which I thought were really frustrating and tough, like the fight with Doshia for the fighters guild. But after trying & dying a few times, I got a handle on the fight mechanics and beat it easily.

My main is a lv 37 nightblade now and every tough boss fight so far has just been a matter if figuring out the fight mechanics and developing a strategy to counter it. And that's what I love about this game. It's tough, but challenging... And 100% solo-able as far as has been my personal experience.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he's complaining he's forced to solo some quests and struggles without someone holding his hand.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I think he's complaining he's forced to solo some quests and struggles without someone holding his hand.

Or has a playing companion that sucks at the game and he doesn't want them to quit because the main quest line is too hard for them.
  • fantom
    fantom
    Agreed, don't nerf PVE. I'm tired of games that don't hold strong and give in to the whiners. It's created a class of gamers that are so *** entitled they don't think they should have to improve themselves EVER. They think that if something is too hard for them, the game should change according to their whims.

MMOs are about having a carrot on a stick. You're not supposed to take the carrot off the stick and feed it to anyone that asks for it. That's bad game design and will destroy your player numbers.
  • amysue23_ESO
    amysue23_ESO
    ✭✭
    Not asking for anybody to nerf anything, only that there should be a CHOICE. Folks who love the challenge of solo fight, go for it! Good for you! Those who don't enjoy that kind of challenge, give them a choice to group up with friends, if they want. Many games are designed that way. Nobody is asking anybody to give up their playstyle. Just give us a choice.
  • Lanatireb17_ESO
    Lanatireb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Well. I hope you will enjoy playing the game with the 5 people left after 90% have left the game cause they are too casual to finish some of the main quest encounters. But then again, you wont enjoy it for long when the game closes down.
  • theerin
    theerin
    Well. I hope you will enjoy playing the game with the 5 people left after 90% have left the game cause they are too casual to finish some of the main quest encounters. But then again, you wont enjoy it for long when the game closes down.

If any if you end up being one of the other remaining 5 players left: Don't panic! There will still be 500,000 goldsellers to keep us company.
  • Frail_Old_Man
    Frail_Old_Man
    ✭✭
    PvE does not really need narfing, what it does need is for EU server to be moved to EU. Dat lag is fun yo.
    Sanguine's testers, the best testers.
    Alas we are no longer labeled as such.