Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mage Guild Leveling - Is it too hard?

• Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sacred-G wrote: »
    I've always hated it when any game makes me hunt around for stuff that's randomly located on the map. If you do it the old fashioned way you'll NEVER rank up, if you look up all the locations you can rank up, but what's the fun in that? I think it makes much more sense to level up in the guild by doing quests and then have the lore books provide BONUS but not mandatory points towards your skill line. Makes no sense, I'm a high elf sorcerer that only uses spells and staffs and yet I'm a higher rank in the Fighters guild than the mages guild. Maybe a good balance would be having finding the lore books as a climatic moment of a quest. For example, Shalldors tells you to go find some forgotten text that is buried deep in a haunted tomb or something.

Please refrain from necroing threads.
    And to avoid the hunt for random stuff you can always install the add on that shows the books on the map (if you are on pc).

As for the lack of addons on the consoles.. you would have my full support (as a pc-player) to open a thread in the general discussion forum, bout bringing common addons to the consoles. It shouldn't be too hard. Add them to the main game as an option. Give the author full credit in the dialogue and change it (with permission of the maker) to the console standards. they can even have a vote bout which ones to add.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • GespenstRaccoon
    modmikki wrote: »
    Can't be done as EP. I currently am sitting at 145/210 in level 8, and the only books i do not have are the group dungeon ones in Shadowfen, Eastmarch, Rift, and Coldharbour... and all except one from the guild line (which can't be done at level15 anyway). That's only 4 books; that's 20 points.

EP cannot get to level 10 prior to vet levels. AD and DC might be able to, but EP is screwed.

Cant' be done on AD either.
    I think it's quite silly they expect us to wait until VRank just to hit lvl 10 with the Mage's Guild.

I've completed the books from all zones through Coldharbor on AD and I'm only level 8.

What happens at VRank? Ive found all the AD Lorebooks and 1/4 in Level 8. Finished all the mages guild quests too.
  • GespenstRaccoon
    Sorry guys never mind I didnt do my research.
  • Svartiloghin713
    Hehe its a fun hunt, i enjoy it
    -Stay silent and stalk in shadows my friend-

Spinaltâp....Vet 1....Faction: AD....Class: Nightblade....Console: PC....@PsychoFiend713
  • alaiham2002
    A way to increase your my rank faster is get lore-books from the same group. Completing groups. Give ya 20 xp.
  • MuRRe
    MuRRe
    Soul Shriven
    I have collected quite a bit but not even level 3.
    Is it bugged or do you need to collect a *** of these? :smiley:
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bit of an old thread, but it's not that it's too hard.. it's boring. Having said that, meteor is an extremely powerful ultimate and I'd hate to see every joe blow running around with it lagging up my server.
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm wondering if there are some tricks to gain more like finding all the books even if they are copies. At least 2 chars for me I've had to go as far as The Rift in AD to reach the max level of mages guild.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syntse wrote: »
    Hmm wondering if there are some tricks to gain more like finding all the books even if they are copies. At least 2 chars for me I've had to go as far as The Rift in AD to reach the max level of mages guild.
    You can't find copies. As soon as you find one version of a book, all the copies disappear.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Ionan
    Ionan
    No it isn't too hard.

It does however require you to have a bit of the explorer type of playstyle in you, if you don't I can imagine why it'd be annoying.

To go back to basics.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_Test
  • maxxvestros
    For all the impatient players I sure as hell bet it is, reminds me of how funny it was watching other player running thru restricted area racking up bounties and getting killed by guards, I was like wth did you even buy the dlc.
    The answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42
  • UncannyLinderman
    UncannyLinderman
    ✭✭✭
    It's tedious, sure, but I've managed to get darn close to level 8 in the mage skill line, and I've never really been trying. I've never looked up locations for lore books online. I just got real good at spotting them from afar.

If anything, maybe the lore books should give slightly more skill exp than they do. But it's an intriguing mechanic for the Guild and skill line regardless.

I really only bother with it because Sheogorath is awesome, and for persuasive passive, what with its menial occasional use in quests.