Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mage Guild Leveling - Is it too hard?

LazerusKI
LazerusKI
✭✭✭
I jsut hought about unlocking the meteor skill...
but i made a horrible mistake...

I looked for a guide map, so i collected 143 books in my pact (EP), and im only at rank 7 now.
The books are the only way to gain exp for them...buts isnt that a bit too hard compared to the warriors guild?
These guys can level with Anchors or killing Daedra and Undead.
So they can jsut grind up to level 10, while the mage-guild cant do that, they need a lot more time to reach level 10.

So...what do you think? in my opinion there should be something else too.
dont get me wrong, the idea with the books is nice, but to be honest...its impossible to find all of the books on your own without reaching player rank 10 first...
  • Memnock
    Memnock
    ✭✭✭
    They could add some exp to the skill line , from the Mages Guild related quests as well , while leveling i saw a few guild mages throughout the world , they could have those quests give a bit of exp for the skill line , in order to make the progression a bit less tedious.
  • LazerusKI
    LazerusKI
    ✭✭✭
    i was even thinking about something that would fit into the lore.
    i mean...imagine this talk:
    "hey, i heard you are one of the strongest mages of the guild?"
    "jup, rank 10, can summon meteors to crush my foes"
    "woah, that must be a very hard quest, do you need to kill a daedric prince for that? travel through the space of oblivion? find old artifacts of the Ayleids?"
    "nah, i just needed to collect some books for our libary"
    "..."

currently it is a joke :s hope they add something more for them, mini-events like the anchors for example.
  • Memnock
    Memnock
    ✭✭✭
    Well the Mages guild in the game seems to be a bunch of wooses , they want to remain newtral in the war between factions , but if you played Oblivion, they somehow are very close to the Emperor , so being glorified librarians seems to have a secret motive , maybe some political maneuvers behind the scenes and stuff like that , also , we are talking about a guild that is dedicated to the studying of the arcane arts , so yeah... if they want more books for their library i would think that they would be willing to teach you or give you a book on summoning meteors from the sky , something like :
    Me : Hey Shalidor, sup bro !
    Shalodor : Sup man , btw thx for being my errand boy and you know... being a total tool , for the good of the guild and all.
    Me : Yeah... yeah... its cool dude . Hey ! I was thing... you i 've been gathering a but load of random books to gather dust for the guild as well , so i was thinking maybe....
    Shalidor: a a a not another word! i know what your gonna say , and you are right , so heres another BOOK!!! You can learn some cool stuff , like calling a giant flaming rock from the sky ! Its an awesome party trick , my wife crapped her pats when i did that at our weding ! Go ahead try it , you'll get loads of laughs
  • Sergeant_Novak
    Sergeant_Novak
    ✭✭✭
    I think the mages guild leveling style fits well with what being apart of the mages guild is all about. The mages guild are not very interested in glory in battle, but are seekers of knowledge and scholars. Thus makes the experience more of one of exploration. Though, I can see that type of experience isn't for everyone and in practice won't please a good amount of people.

I'm sort of split. I'm all for freedom of choice in this game, but giving player the alternative to grind some mobs instead of only leveling through the books would seem to diminish the finding of lore books.
    Kol Blakmarc - Dwemer Archeologist, Mage, Not such a great dancer
  • Lizard_man
    Lizard_man
    ✭✭
    Agree with the OP to some point, I've managed to reach rank 4 and I've unlocked both magelight and entropy, I don't think these two skills are anything special, and I doubt I'll be using equilibrium which is unlocked at rank 8! My point being, fire rune and the ultimate look decent enough, but I don't think the time invested in gaining these skills is worth it, if they were, I'd happily search and collect the books...
    Edited by Lizard_man on April 11, 2014 2:15PM
  • JohnG
    JohnG
    ✭✭✭
    If nothing else should tie the guild quests to your player rank rather than guild rank, can't tell you how annoying it is having to hunt for lore books just to finish the guild quest line. I don't mind picking them up when i see them but having to get out a map and hunt down every single one is getting very tedious.
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its a nice change to leveling skills. The mage guild is not about killing stuff, the whole lore about it is about collecting and researching books.
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like how the mage guild levels. It's a nice change of pace.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen one Vet-3 Master Wizard overseeing a bunch of trebuchets at the last Alliance War I was in. The Master Wizard rank must be attainable ... even if it's a lot of books or if it's something else. Will try the in-game chat next time I see him ...
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Master Wizard is a title you get for completing the mage guild questline, it has nothing to do witht he skilllevel.
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • shaynecotelle_ESO
    shaynecotelle_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    It is not hard at all, simple takes a little time and effort and if your a low levels a few dungeon books you will need help with(3 dungeon books)

other then that, i got mage guild 10 at lvl 15 on a nightblade and i soloed everything except the 3 dungeons. I will say beating all the mage guild quest at the low level was a challenge but not impossible.

ycLbSDj.jpg
  • Alestair
    Alestair
    ✭✭
    I got my guild rank to 10 at 50.. It is hard but i like it being hard... Gives you the real feel that you are becoming a Master Wizard he he.. I got all lorebooks in EB and then all books in DC, The last Lorebook in DC got me to rank 10...Its very hard to achieve...
  • Alestair
    Alestair
    ✭✭
    It is not hard at all, simple takes a little time and effort and if your a low levels a few dungeon books you will need help with(3 dungeon books)

other then that, i got mage guild 10 at lvl 15 on a nightblade and i soloed everything except the 3 dungeons. I will say beating all the mage guild quest at the low level was a challenge but not impossible.

ycLbSDj.jpg

You're a True Wizard....
  • Tanabe
    Tanabe
    no its not hard, explore abit and find lore books, if you dont bother with that get one of the many addond that show where they are.
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Answer: No
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah , i also got both guilds to the max skill tree lvl like others in this thread.

I use both the skyshard and the lorebook addon.

I would say it is hard with the addon , just that it takes time.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Sheryus
    Sheryus
    Soul Shriven
    how do you make to be lvl 15 and rank 10? i have almost all the book and I am that rank 8
  • Sheryus
    Sheryus
    Soul Shriven
    photoshop ? lol
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭
    You all joined too early. If you wait to join until you're done with the last zone in your alliance (Bangkorai for me in DC), you'll hit 10 as soon as you join.

I joined immediately and am level 7 from trying to find lore books. My wife joined at level 46 and is 10 from finding whatever lore books happened to be around.

I'd guess there is an XP bonus for books found prior to joining the guild.
  • Sheryus
    Sheryus
    Soul Shriven
    i don't understand i miss only 1 book and my XP is 215/260 and my friend it miss 4 book and this XP is 210/260 ?? and for both finish quest
  • Whisper292
    Whisper292
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind leveling up with the books, but one thing that really gets me not only with the Mages Guild but with the Fighters Guild too is that you don't get guild experience for completing the quests. I'm a Master Wizard, having completed the entire questline, but my Mages Guild rank is still only 6. It just makes sense to me that when you complete a guild quest, you get something specific to the guild as a reward.
    ---
    Love all, trust few, do wrong to no one. - William Shakespeare
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    So do any of you use its skills?
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Guild rank 10 doesn't mean you've finished the quests.

I just finished both guild quests at 31.

You can finish them at rank 5.

Irazur sucks at 31. Maybe try earlier next time. Only thing that hit regularly was soul trap and my staff attack lol

http://i.imgur.com/HgrqBmC.jpg
  • Whisper292
    Whisper292
    ✭✭✭
    So do any of you use its skills?

Honestly, I don't use the Mages Guild skills, but I do use some of the Fighters Guild skills on a regular basis.
    ---
    Love all, trust few, do wrong to no one. - William Shakespeare
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im vr2 and mage guild lvl 9, almost max. Its not too difficult.
  • Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    Hard probably isn't he right term but slow and steady yes. All you have to do is explore the map a little while your questing, that is hardly difficult.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anvos wrote: »
    Hard probably isn't he right term but slow and steady yes. All you have to do is explore the map a little while your questing, that is hardly difficult.

Agreed, it isn't hard, time consuming and occassionaly awkward, but not hard.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • meglon978ub17_ESO
    meglon978ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Can't be done as EP. I currently am sitting at 145/210 in level 8, and the only books i do not have are the group dungeon ones in Shadowfen, Eastmarch, Rift, and Coldharbour... and all except one from the guild line (which can't be done at level15 anyway). That's only 4 books; that's 20 points.

EP cannot get to level 10 prior to vet levels. AD and DC might be able to, but EP is screwed.
  • modmikki
    modmikki
    Soul Shriven
    Can't be done as EP. I currently am sitting at 145/210 in level 8, and the only books i do not have are the group dungeon ones in Shadowfen, Eastmarch, Rift, and Coldharbour... and all except one from the guild line (which can't be done at level15 anyway). That's only 4 books; that's 20 points.

EP cannot get to level 10 prior to vet levels. AD and DC might be able to, but EP is screwed.

Cant' be done on AD either.
    I think it's quite silly they expect us to wait until VRank just to hit lvl 10 with the Mage's Guild.

I've completed the books from all zones through Coldharbor on AD and I'm only level 8.
  • Sacred-G
    Sacred-G
    I've always hated it when any game makes me hunt around for stuff that's randomly located on the map. If you do it the old fashioned way you'll NEVER rank up, if you look up all the locations you can rank up, but what's the fun in that? I think it makes much more sense to level up in the guild by doing quests and then have the lore books provide BONUS but not mandatory points towards your skill line. Makes no sense, I'm a high elf sorcerer that only uses spells and staffs and yet I'm a higher rank in the Fighters guild than the mages guild. Maybe a good balance would be having finding the lore books as a climatic moment of a quest. For example, Shalldors tells you to go find some forgotten text that is buried deep in a haunted tomb or something.
    >PSN Gamertag: SacredG
    >Guildmaster of "Kronic of the Divines".
    >APPLY AT: http://kronicofthedivines.gamerlaunch.com