The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mac Client tries to download WHOLE game again?

TheCHEWER
TheCHEWER
✭✭
Hey guys, I hope you are able to help me:

I played ESO in Beta and during early access without any problems. Today I wanted to update ESO to the latest patch and started the client. First of all the button which normally says "PLAY" now said "INSTALL". So I clicked it and I got an error message "Not enough hard drive space" something like that. I was like: Mhh ok, maybe they just wanted to make sure that there is nothing that causes trouble. So I deleted a LOT of stuff from my hard drive (I use a SSD with just about 250 GB).

So I started the download. But now it tells me that it is downloading the WHOLE game again! First I thought it's because I need the most recent client. So I installed the lastest one from your website, but nothing changed.

As I said, I played in the Beta and am playing on the European Server and use a Mac.

Please help me, I REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoy this game and ZOS did a great job, but: I want to play it soooo bad and it would take me ages to download the whole game again with my slow download speed.

Please help me. Did I miss something? Am I as stupid as I feel? xD

Thanks in advance!
Greetings from Munich, Germany
  • csmackenzieub17_ESO
    I'm playing on the NA server and having the same problem with the Launcher. I used to use the TheElderScrollsOnline->game_mac->publplayerclient->ESO.app to play the game but that now results in "Login Timed out".
  • TheCHEWER
    TheCHEWER
    ✭✭
    Jop I had the same problem :/ Ngggnaaahhhh... I just want to play :(
  • csmackenzieub17_ESO
    Previous fixes for this said to make a backup, launch the "install" then cancel? It deleted the game. I restored my backup but the launcher still asks for a full re-install.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi @TheCHEWER‌,

since the last beta, there have been several updates to the launcher and the game. So if your launcher updated to the current version 1.3.5.964404 (click on the gear in the launcher's menu on the right side, then on "About"), you should be able to get the latest patches of the game client. Also, make sure that you have selected the Megaserver "Europe" in the options. Then close the launcher.

Please make sure that you have a recent TimeMachine backup for the following steps, so you can roll back if something goes awry.

Use the Finder to look into /Applications/ZeniMax Online (/Anwendungen/ZeniMax Online in German). There should be a directory called The Elder Scrolls Online with a size of ~ 30 GB from beta. If you already see a directory called The Elder Scrolls Online EU that's much smaller, delete it, then rename The Elder Scrolls Online to The Elder Scrolls Online EU. Start the launcher. It should now verify your game files, and then load the missing stuff -- beware, it's weighing in at at 4-5 GB.

Then please refer to @Moonraker's post here. You'll need a new liveeu folder in your ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online folder, make sure it's either been created by the launcher, or make one by yourself using @Moonrakers instructions.

Hope that helps and welcome to Tamriel.

Edit: link fixed
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on April 7, 2014 8:26PM
  • csmackenzieub17_ESO
    @KhajitFurTrader‌ what about NA server users? My launcher version is 1.3.5.964404 and it's still asking me to install.
  • TheCHEWER
    TheCHEWER
    ✭✭
    Hey @‌KhajitFurTrader

THANK YOU for your reply! I did manage to use a backup I made during the beta and am patching this one right now.

The funny thing is I did exactly these steps you just brought up, when the game went live and everything was working just fine. I played until yesterday without any issues. But today it came up with this error.

Right now it is downloading the recent patch from the NA server. I think i have to change my directory to the EU version later. Hope this one fixes it all.

Again: Thanks a lot for your answers. I'll post it here in case everything worked well! :)
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm playing on the NA server and having the same problem with the Launcher. I used to use the TheElderScrollsOnline->game_mac->publplayerclient->ESO.app to play the game but that now results in "Login Timed out".
    Two reasons:

1) Launching direct from the eso.app Mac client is just a temporary workaround to let you play without the Launcher. The problem with the Launcher wont get fixed that way. You need to get the Launcher working so it updates properly. Like now there is a small patch via the Launcher but your client version is not current so you get the error. You need to get the Launcher working.

It can be possible to play direct with the client but you also run the risk to have issues which are unexpected because the install in an older version.

2) After EU server came back up after Patch 1.0.2 (the 50MB update) there were problems to login, probably just volume of players trying to log of they had not actually opened the server. I'm on now so it is at least available.
  • csmackenzieub17_ESO
    @Moonraker‌
    Moonraker wrote: »
    Two reasons:

1) Launching direct from the eso.app Mac client is just a temporary workaround to let you play without the Launcher. The problem with the Launcher wont get fixed that way. You need to get the Launcher working so it updates properly. Like now there is a small patch via the Launcher but your client version is not current so you get the error. You need to get the Launcher working.

It can be possible to play direct with the client but you also run the risk to have issues which are unexpected because the install in an older version.

2) After EU server came back up after Patch 1.0.2 (the 50MB update) there were problems to login, probably just volume of players trying to log of they had not actually opened the server. I'm on now so it is at least available.

This makes sense for the earlier post. My ESO launcher, not the game app, is asking for a full install. I am still unable to play the game.

My launcher version is: 1.3.5.964404
    Edited by csmackenzieub17_ESO on April 7, 2014 8:39PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Previous fixes for this said to make a backup, launch the "install" then cancel? It deleted the game. I restored my backup but the launcher still asks for a full re-install.
    It included the advice to backup for that reason. Occasionally when you cancel it will wipe the whole install. Hence players need to backup the existing one first in case. it's probably there to clear up if a player wants to cancel and not install but should not wipe the folder this way. Needs fixing.

The trick I found was to commence the Install and wait until it creates the temporary folders which takes several minutes. That's why is might say download but is not actually doing so with no data coming over the network.

Once that is done it should actually start the data download and you can see the d/l speed etc. Then click on Pause, go to the Cancel button in the Options (top right cog icon) and press Cancel. Now go back to the Game Options drop down menu and start Repair. You need to get the Repair to run is the key.

Let it verify the install all the way and download a few smaller files usually. It should end with Complete. if not quit, relaunch and try again the same.

Cancelling during the initial part seems to cause the wipe of folder but it could happen late also.

The Launcher needs fixing and they are looking at it from what I understand. No timescale yet. In the meantime players have resolved the issue in the way you mentioned just try it the way I describe.

• Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheCHEWER wrote: »
    Hey guys, I hope you are able to help me:

I played ESO in Beta and during early access without any problems. Today I wanted to update ESO to the latest patch and started the client. First of all the button which normally says "PLAY" now said "INSTALL". So I clicked it and I got an error message "Not enough hard drive space" something like that. I was like: Mhh ok, maybe they just wanted to make sure that there is nothing that causes trouble. So I deleted a LOT of stuff from my hard drive (I use a SSD with just about 250 GB).

So I started the download. But now it tells me that it is downloading the WHOLE game again! First I thought it's because I need the most recent client. So I installed the lastest one from your website, but nothing changed.

As I said, I played in the Beta and am playing on the European Server and use a Mac.

Please help me, I REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoy this game and ZOS did a great job, but: I want to play it soooo bad and it would take me ages to download the whole game again with my slow download speed.

Please help me. Did I miss something? Am I as stupid as I feel? xD

Thanks in advance!
    Greetings from Munich, Germany
    No not stupid. It's a fault in the Launcher sometimes. Read what I posted below and try that. Make sure you backup the install folder first in case. The key is to get to the Repair stage.

• csmackenzieub17_ESO
    @Moonraker‌
    I've followed the steps up until the point below.

The download starts but I don't see any temp folders being created.

The cancel button in the options (top right cog icon) has no visible effect after clicking. The Repair option does not appear in the Game Options drop down.
    Edited by csmackenzieub17_ESO on April 7, 2014 9:04PM
  • TheCHEWER
    TheCHEWER
    ✭✭
    Thanks @Moonraker

I'll try this and I hope everything works fine! Thanks for your help! Appreciate it! :)
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Moonraker‌
    I've followed the steps up until the point below.

The download starts but I don't see any temp folders being created.

The cancel button in the options (top right cog icon) has no visible effect after clicking. The Repair option does not appear in the Game Options drop down.
    The install process has changed. It now creates these folders in the actual Launcher. You should see it's size increase as it creates then starts to download and download the other parts via Get Info.

Just Right Click on the Launcher and select Show Package Contents and I think it installs either in the first folder or second. I still have the original Beta so it still has the folders in the The Elder Scrolls folder.

EDIT: The NA Launcher does this but the EU Launcher still installs an The Elder Scrolls Online folder and then folders in there. No idea why they are different.

Try clicking Cancel without Pausing maybe that is different. It takes while for the temp files to be created even on my SSD.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 7, 2014 11:38PM
  • csmackenzieub17_ESO
    @Moonraker‌ I let it download for an hour, 8% -> 9%. The Launcher shows as 59.9 mb. Show Package Contents, what am I looking for in here?

Any variation of pause/no-pause/cancel/game options has no change. Repair still does not appear.
  • Daviiid_ESO
    Daviiid_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Since I have no availability to back the files up or anything like that (no space to start installing again.) should I just reinstall or is there a workaround? Why wouldn't the launcher find and "sync" with the actual game folder?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Moonraker‌ I let it download for an hour, 8% -> 9%. The Launcher shows as 59.9 mb. Show Package Contents, what am I looking for in here?

Any variation of pause/no-pause/cancel/game options has no change. Repair still does not appear.
    Did you have an installation already in the Zenimax Online folder? I'll just check what should be there at the start by moving my folder out and starting an Insall myself.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since I have no availability to back the files up or anything like that (no space to start installing again.) should I just reinstall or is there a workaround? Why wouldn't the launcher find and "sync" with the actual game folder?
    The best way if you have an existing Instal, but the Launcher is saying the Install again the whole thing, is to start the process but Cancel and do the Repair as posted in the other threads on this.

It 'may' resolve the problem to do a fresh install after deleting everything especially if you updated the Beta. But it is no certainty.

As to the last question I have no idea other than the Launcher is not correctly identifying or verifying the install either when it checks to the server when launched, or where it stores the information on the computer.

They are aware of all these issues as it effects both Mac & PC and hopefully they will get out some fixes for this soon. They did update it over the weekend which seems to have stopped the previous patchmanifest errors. But this one continues.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 7, 2014 10:50PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can the players having problems with the Install or Launcher not working correctly please confirm your OS X version.
  • csmackenzieub17_ESO
    @Moonraker‌

There was already a copy of the full game in the Zenimax folder. My attempt to download the full game is estimated to take 4 days. It took a few hours originally. Nothing has changed at my end and I've looked at previous threads addressing this. The problem still isn't my end with regards to download speed.
    Edited by csmackenzieub17_ESO on April 7, 2014 11:39PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Moonraker‌

There was already a copy of the full game in the Zenimax folder. My attempt to download the full game is estimated to take 4 days. It took a few hours originally. Nothing has changed at my end and I've looked at previous threads addressing this. The problem still isn't end with regards to download speed.
    Some times if can be slow if others are downloading at the same time like for an update. Or, it's the time for the files to spawn on the CDN network. But that should be out there and around.

There are a couple of other threads on the slow download. It posted to this one for a few things maybe to try.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 7, 2014 11:41PM
  • Daviiid_ESO
    Daviiid_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The best way if you have an existing Instal, but the Launcher is saying the Install again the whole thing, is to start the process but Cancel and do the Repair as posted in the other threads on this.

It 'may' resolve the problem to do a fresh install after deleting everything especially if you updated the Beta. But it is no certainty.

As to the last question I have no idea other than the Launcher is not correctly identifying or verifying the install either when it checks to the server when launched, or where it stores the information on the computer.

They are aware of all these issues as it effects both Mac & PC and hopefully they will get out some fixes for this soon. They did update it over the weekend which seems to have stopped the previous patchmanifest errors. But this one continues.

Yep, also said that isn't an option for me, since there isn't a way to start the install w/o having a set amount of space, but isn't a big deal really, just unistalled and redownloaded everything, doesn't take a lot more than an hour with this net anyway. :) Works fine now.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

Yep, also said that isn't an option for me, since there isn't a way to start the install w/o having a set amount of space, but isn't a big deal really, just unistalled and redownloaded everything, doesn't take a lot more than an hour with this net anyway. :) Works fine now.
    Good to hear. Wish I had your connection. Takes me 30 hours+ over 2MB DSL for it :s
    Edited by Moonraker on April 8, 2014 12:02AM
  • csmackenzieub17_ESO
    @Moonraker‌
    OS 10.8.5
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Moonraker‌
    OS 10.8.5
    Thanks. Maybe it effects the certificate bug rather than others.

Worth updating though if you can as 10.9.2 has at least updated graphics drivers and better memory management.
  • csmackenzieub17_ESO
    @Moonraker‌
    I'll update the OS and try again. I'll keep you posted.
    thanks.
  • Daviiid_ESO
    Daviiid_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Good to hear. Wish I had your connection. Takes me 30 hours+ over 2MB DSL for it :s

Gotta love the 100/100 in Sweden:)

Have anyone tried redownloading the launcher?, since you install that first, which then installs the game?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

Have anyone tried redownloading the launcher?, since you install that first, which then installs the game?
    They have and it didn't seem to help but worth doing all the same.

• csmackenzieub17_ESO
    @Moonraker‌
    I turned auto updater OFF, repair option appears.
  • csmackenzieub17_ESO
    @Moonraker‌ With the Auto-updater off the Launcher preforms as expected. I am now in game.

Thanks
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Moonraker‌
    I turned auto updater OFF, repair option appears.
    Interesting. Will check that sometime. Anyway to get Repair is good ;)

Glad you got it sorted and are in game. Have fun.