Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is it just me or does gold seem kind of pointless?

nlnj_a
nlnj_a
✭✭✭
Gold has never really been a big deal in TES games and doesn't seem to be a big deal here either. I am kind of glad about this because I haven't seen one gold selling spam in 3 days.

This game is more for the experience and not about getting the best items then grinding things for the next best items.
In other games you grind mobs that you don't really have fun doing for the gold, but in ESO you aren't looking for a single item because there are so many different items that can all be enhanced by craters to be better as well as look how you want them to.
(I do wish you could repair your broken items via crafting if you have the required level).

I am really enjoying this game!
I am only level 24 (lol) and spent SO MUCH TIME already on here just simply having fun.

Your thoughts on gold in ESO?
  • maniacal1
    maniacal1
    ✭✭
    Yeah, not having an auction house and being able to craft anything you want by yourself...it made me ponder what purpose currency would have from the get-go. In the beginning, for anyone who didn't buy Imperial, gold's primary purpose is to get a *** mount...still irked that they made it cost so much.
  • Ashigaru
    Ashigaru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Short of bags upgrades and just general maintenance on a daily basis no not yet.
  • BmcD73
    BmcD73
    ✭✭✭
    I use gold all the time. Like Ash mentioned above, bag/bank space for sure but I do TONS of trading in guild store. I love crafting in these games and as such, I work on all craft skills. This costs some good $$. Motifs, recipes, set items, quality upgrade components, trait gems, etc all cost a good amount.
  • StarchildTBA
    maniacal1 wrote: »
    Yeah, not having an auction house and being able to craft anything you want by yourself...it made me ponder what purpose currency would have from the get-go. In the beginning, for anyone who didn't buy Imperial, gold's primary purpose is to get a *** mount...still irked that they made it cost so much.

THIS. When I first saw the price for the cheapest horse, I thought I was being punished for not clicking on Imperial when I purchased the game. Ill be walking for a long time :'(
  • nlnj_a
    nlnj_a
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah bag upgrades, repairing items, and some other small stuff.
    It is nice, but maybe ESO needs those super duper rare items that people want to save up for, besides rare motifs that I doubt people would sell since there is nothing else to save up for.
  • Rukur
    Rukur
    ✭✭
    Send your gold to me @rukur.

Id take it of your hands
  • InF13RNo
    InF13RNo
    I think once I have fastest horse and all bank and inventory expansions... money is useless, but I will amass it hehe.
    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity...
  • nlnj_a
    nlnj_a
    ✭✭✭
    maniacal1 wrote: »

THIS. When I first saw the price for the cheapest horse, I thought I was being punished for not clicking on Imperial when I purchased the game. Ill be walking for a long time :'(

You can upgrade your ESO account to imperial for like $20.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Id take it of your hands

Ah darn, you anticipated me... :(
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Imperial horse is slow. Save up for the faster one later. Of course you could feed the Imp horse oats and gain one bank slot a day for 50 days, but that's 250 gold a day. 2500 for ten. 12,500 for fifty bank slots.
    Edited by silent88b14_ESO on April 7, 2014 7:11PM
    Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    Its just you. Gold is not pointless. The only thing they could have done better is have copper, silver and gold coins... but that would have been too realistic.
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • nlnj_a
    nlnj_a
    ✭✭✭

Id take it of your hands

I am a squishy healer/bow who dies a lot since I keep questing in areas that are way above my level and constantly need to repair my junk :(
  • Knuckles19
    I'm glad money is useless. Now I focus on adventuring then grinding gold :)
  • nlnj_a
    nlnj_a
    ✭✭✭
    Knuckles19 wrote: »

YES!
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    I guess it depends on what you think you should spend gold on. If you're one of those people that finds it pointless to buy things because you're level 20 and you'll "quickly level out of it", or "I'll find something better on my own", or "I don't need any of this - I'm doing fine already", or "I'll find that item in a quest maybe"... then yes, you probably won't see money being that useful.

Personally, I buy a lot of things. I buy armor sets and other items for use or just vanity, and rare mats that I'm saving up for level 50 crafting. I like feeling like I'm powerful, and having the best gear is an easy way to do that... plus it makes the grind a lot easier. If you want a better horse, you'll be spending quite a bit too from what I've seen (upwards of 45k?). Also, it appears most of your character buffs will come from food and potions, instead of players (though you will get whatever group buffs they have, too). I can see this being important in PvP when the game is more competitive... if it ever gets to that point... and then there's always crafted weapons/armor, which appear to be actually useful no matter what level you are.
    Edited by Madae on April 7, 2014 7:20PM
  • malais
    malais
    Madae wrote: »
    I guess it depends on what you think you should spend gold on. If you're one of those people that finds it pointless to buy things because you're level 20 and you'll "quickly level out of it", or "I'll find something better on my own", or "I don't need any of this - I'm doing fine already", or "I'll find that item in a quest maybe"... then yes, you probably won't see money being that useful.

Personally, I buy a lot of things. I buy armor sets and other items for use or just vanity, and rare mats that I'm saving up for level 50 crafting. I like feeling like I'm powerful, and having the best gear is an easy way to do that... plus it makes the grind a lot easier. If you want a better horse, you'll be spending quite a bit too from what I've seen (upwards of 45k?). Also, it appears most of your character buffs will come from food and potions, instead of players (though you will get whatever group buffs they have, too). I can see this being important in PvP when the game is more competitive... if it ever gets to that point... and then there's always crafted weapons/armor, which appear to be actually useful no matter what level you are.

Except a player is able to craft food and pots based off what they find in the wild almost from the word go.

I have yet to be doing anything where my health and magika weren't already above the soft cap with just armor buffs and food. So no need to purchase anything.

The only use I see for gold is endgame enchanting. And if you are in a real guild not just 5 Zerg guilds it shouldn't be difficult to pool resources in house to get the best equipment.

The lack of an AH was meant to stop the economy from collapsing (so sayeth ZOS anyway) but I think the design as a whole has prevented an economy from forming at all.

At 21 I have 26k as of last night with all blue gear minus hat which is a green warlock set hat.

I simply have no need to buy anything. With an AH I might see something that had a cool look or an item set I might level into. As it stands no window shopping means no shopping at all.
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knuckles19 wrote: »

Exactly. ;)

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very glad that gold has limited use. Bank/bag space and initial purchases of mounts, racial crafting mats here and there. That's pretty much it. Feeling like I had to become a day trader or retailer in other MMOs was very annoying and kept me from doing other things I'd rather do.
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    malais wrote: »
    I simply have no need to buy anything. With an AH I might see something that had a cool look or an item set I might level into. As it stands no window shopping means no shopping at all.

Did you turn off zone chat? I'm always looking at it and see items I want for sale all the time.

Again, you just may be one of those people I mentioned. Just because you can't find anything doesn't mean there isn't anything out there. Like I said; I buy LOTS of things, because I find them useful in one way or another.
    Edited by Madae on April 7, 2014 7:36PM
  • Zakua
    Zakua
    ✭✭✭
    Gold in my opinion has a good balance. I like the idea that I can eventually stack all these runes into something I want to actually use but until then I will buy a glyph here and there.

Yep Backpack upgrades and other bits...Gold has its place but I see my self down the road having a lot of it and not using much of it as I learn into other crafts.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    I have 5k in the bank, having bought all bank upgrades and backpacks for my characters but no horse ... not really feeling the horse. I don't buy vanity armor because I make it.

I have a complete set of the style motifs x 2 and now I'm giving them away for free as I find them - just to annoy the people who are trying to sell them.

If this were a single player TES I'd spend money on training. Or a house. But neither is available in TESO. I make repairs as needed.

That's it, really.
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guess it depends on what you're doing with it. I haven't found it to be useless at all, but then I'm putting gold into all the proper gold sinks too (bag space, bank space, mount upgrades, repair costs) and I'm breaking down all loot instead of selling it, which is shortening my income pretty substantially.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imperial horse is slow. Save up for the faster one later. Of course you could feed the Imp horse oats and gain one bank slot a day for 50 days, but that's 250 gold a day. 2500 for ten. 12,500 for fifty bank slots.
    This is what I plan on doing. Turning the Imp Horse into my PackMule and buying the Fastest Horse available and upgrading it for PvP.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold seems vital to me........
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just spent closely 7k to buy Racial Motif's from players selling them. I would not have them right now if I did not have gold. I don't care why they wanted Gold (maybe buy a horse???) but I had it, and am glad to have them for crafting purposes.

Anyone have Daedric motif for sale? :)
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spend all of my gold on bag/bank space lol, I already have the CE horse so what else would I spend it on? I don't buy gear either...I earn it or craft it and go farm the mats myself.

I hope they add player housing so I'll have something to spend my gold on :)
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    nlnj_a wrote: »
    Your thoughts on gold in ESO?
    It is less important but not worthless. Horses (for example) are expensive. Respecs will probably also be expensive and you can use gold to buy crafting materials or even weapons and armor from other players.

ESO shifted the emphasis in the game economy from drops to player crafted items is all, which is really how it should have been to begin with. In other MMOs rare drops are what is coveted...in ESO high end player crafted items are what is coveted.

• MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BmcD73 wrote: »
    This costs some good $$. Motifs, recipes, set items, quality upgrade components, trait gems, etc all cost a good amount.

Except all these things can be acquired through normal game play. You really don't HAVE to pay for any of it. I haven't.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Except all these things can be acquired through normal game play. You really don't HAVE to pay for any of it. I haven't.
    Gold buys you convenience. That alone will make gold valuable.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    MaxBat wrote: »
    I have a complete set of the style motifs x 2 and now I'm giving them away for free as I find them - just to annoy the people who are trying to sell them.

Wow, I should have clarified this before the e-mails started coming in.

I don't have an endless supply of motif books and I'm not actively looking for them any longer. Sorry. I did actively search for the first few days until I had what I needed, but now it's just as I play the game. If I find one, I give it away. And that's it.

So I've given away all my extras and I surely don't have - as a couple of hopeful souls suggested - a full set to give away. Wow.

But if I find one, I'll promise to give it away and perhaps have some fun with it. Hide and seek, maybe. Something. But you won't have to pay for it.
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...