The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is the game economy working for you?

• zittylolb14_ESO
    No
    NOT WORKING....$250 gold to feed you horse one apple? The crafting items one needs from extraction is totally to sparse....like one in 250 pieces of wood refined.
    I put one point into extraction of wood...did I see any improvement?..NOT...now I have to wait 7 levels of making staffs to put my next point into extraction? Why not make extraction as easy as provisioning?...WE NEED MORE ITEMS from EXTRACTION.
  • Aicilef
    Aicilef
    ✭✭
    No
    No, it does not work.

The guild stores are terrible.
    The COD or store fees are insane.
    The LTS ads are intrusive (but needed).
    The amount of time lost on trading is horrible.

No, this system does not work.

And it does NOT make people 'interact as a community'. You can't force people to play how YOU want to play in todays competetive gaming market. you can't FORCE people to interact in a small circle if they don't want. They will just leave.

And in 2-3 months, most people will have left (at least partly because of the fact that they can't trade decently).

What were they thinking? Really, were they really thinking that players would say 'sure, sure, I will all of a sudden become chatty and social and always nice?'

It was a bad decision and it costs them customers, plain and simple.
    Edited by Aicilef on April 13, 2014 6:10AM
  • Shiva
    Shiva
    Yes
    Its fine. Its not the best (as someone mentioned elsewhere Eve Online will probably hold the best game economy award in perpetuity) but its also not the worst. I think it needs time to mature before ZOS makes any sweeping changes.
  • GaryTheHand
    No
    I'm not happy with it at all. But I DO NOT want an AH either. I have tried a few guilds but nothing I need is ever posted or for sale... anywhere. I run very active with a few people but our guild wont ever be big enough to have a store anyway, Hell we cant even open our guild bank. I'm an RP'er and I am trying not to have to join four other mega guilds to have even the simple things. A lot of things need to be worked on. But I agree with the post above. I'll hold out for this to mature and settle out before I decide what I am going to do.
    Edited by GaryTheHand on April 13, 2014 11:59PM
    In order to really live you must be ready to die.
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The only thing I bother selling are motifs and purple gear. Blues are far too common and sell for under 200g usually. I end up deconstructing or vendoring everything now because the market is so washed out with gear. It feels like Diablo all over again.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The economy Is me doing everything from farming mats to crafting everything I need. The guild stores are absolutely atrocious.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    What economy? It is far too aggravating to deal with multiple trade guilds or the obnoxious trade chat...

Which is sad as this is one of the first games that had a really robust and usefull crafting system, where items made have actual value to the player, it is too bad that the distribution system for allowing crafters to get their products to market are so difficult and awkward to use.

Exactly. You said perfectly the point I have been trying to stress now on these forums all week.
  • henrycupcakerwb17_ESO
    Yes
    I like that there's no global auction house. The commerce in Everquest was amazing pre-AH. Everyone, and I mean damn near everyone, had to go and gather in the E-Commonlands tunnel and barter and trade. It was so fun, tons of people just did that instead of actually play.

If a rare item or good deal came up, someone in your guild might see it and you'd end up trading two of Weapon A & 2000 plat for one of weapon b. You get a good deal and that guy sells 2x weapon A for a profit.

Way fun. Oh I'll just run through these automated merchants instead. Lame.
    Having an AH is just fully-against this whole ESO bring you into the game and focused goal.
    and a text search in guild stores and additional filters would be helpful
  • henrycupcakerwb17_ESO
    Yes
    Yes it is. This is a troll poll that is baited because the OP wants an auction house.

*** , i thought this is a official poll or something
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I like that there's no global auction house. The commerce in Everquest was amazing pre-AH. Everyone, and I mean damn near everyone, had to go and gather in the E-Commonlands tunnel and barter and trade. It was so fun, tons of people just did that instead of actually play.

If a rare item or good deal came up, someone in your guild might see it and you'd end up trading two of Weapon A & 2000 plat for one of weapon b. You get a good deal and that guy sells 2x weapon A for a profit.

Way fun. Oh I'll just run through these automated merchants instead. Lame.
    Having an AH is just fully-against this whole ESO bring you into the game and focused goal.
    and a text search in guild stores and additional filters would be helpful

I'll never understand how some think advertising on a chat channel or haggling over prices is way fun. I respect that you do. But I definitely do not and would consider that lame.

Having an economy that actually works and allowed me to utilize my crafting to a greater potential would bring me into the game far more than surfing chat channels or guild stores for good deals would.

Edited by Jeremy on April 14, 2014 2:57AM
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The game does not need any economy in the way most think it does.
    I have always had enough gold to repair my items, that's the only thing in-game we need coin for. And that amount of coin is easily maintained from questing, selling items found to NPCs. So yes, it's working fine.

The problem - if any - is with peoples' unhealthy obsession with acquiring gold.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Shiva wrote: »
    Its fine. Its not the best (as someone mentioned elsewhere Eve Online will probably hold the best game economy award in perpetuity) but its also not the worst. I think it needs time to mature before ZOS makes any sweeping changes.

I disagree.

Leaving such a bad system in place while hoping it gets better will just continue to hurt the game IMHO. I think it needs urgent attention.

• Charwyn
    Charwyn
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Economy has it's flawes. Used to it in real life.
  • Chomag
    Chomag
    ✭✭✭
    No
    What game economy?
  • LadyLothi
    LadyLothi
    ✭✭✭
    For me, the economy is working rather fine.

I have one (one!!!) trading partner - my daughter - who is leveling all the crafting skills that I don't and we trade (as in: give to each other) raw materials and loot according to our needs.
    So while I'm getting every single item of clothing, woodwork and ingredient that she finds or loots, she gets every ore and piece of metal gear as well as every rune and herb I can gather.
    I cook for her and she gives potions to me.

While we're running around in green (which seems to me sufficient for every sort of content I have encountered so far at lvl 22) and still haven't been able to afford horses, I am quite certain that at some point I will be able to buy one and will enjoy it even more just for the fact that it wasn't just easily handed to me after a few hours of gameplay.

Meanwhile, I enjoy the game just the way it is, especially because it doesn't employ all the tired old economic mechanisms of MMOs that have been done to death.

Yes, you don't swim in gold at lvl 20, you do not have legendary gear and you cannot afford every little thing you wish for ... well, I personally don't think that this is a bad thing.
    "It's easy, a child of five could do it. Unfortunately, we don't have a child of five, so I have to walk YOU through it." Abnur Tharn <3
  • Muletide
    Muletide
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I enjoy the guild stores over a universal AH. 3 of my 5 guilds are trade guilds and I am finding/selling items just fine. With the single universal AH there are always those people who will buy up everything low and sell and insane mark ups which many cannot afford. With the smaller guild stores I see less of that. The highly marked up junk will fail and sit there while sensible traders will move items faster offering reasonable prices to fellow guildies.

In my MMO experience, the AH model forces you to accept the one economy. Multiple guild stores offer a variety of prices and micro economies. If stuff is scarce or priced too high, you aren't forced to accept that. Quit and find a guild that has better commerce.

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Muletide wrote: »
    I enjoy the guild stores over a universal AH. 3 of my 5 guilds are trade guilds and I am finding/selling items just fine. With the single universal AH there are always those people who will buy up everything low and sell and insane mark ups which many cannot afford. With the smaller guild stores I see less of that. The highly marked up junk will fail and sit there while sensible traders will move items faster offering reasonable prices to fellow guildies.

In my MMO experience, the AH model forces you to accept the one economy. Multiple guild stores offer a variety of prices and micro economies. If stuff is scarce or priced too high, you aren't forced to accept that. Quit and find a guild that has better commerce.

This just doesn't reflect the reality I know. But they can keep Guild Stores in place for people like you who seem to enjoy quitting and re-joining guilds until they find what they are looking for.

But for those of us who rather spend our time working to collect gold to actually buy something we know is for sale, rather spending it trying to find it for sale to begin with - they should give us a public market place.

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    LadyLothi wrote: »
    For me, the economy is working rather fine.

I have one (one!!!) trading partner - my daughter - who is leveling all the crafting skills that I don't and we trade (as in: give to each other) raw materials and loot according to our needs.
    So while I'm getting every single item of clothing, woodwork and ingredient that she finds or loots, she gets every ore and piece of metal gear as well as every rune and herb I can gather.
    I cook for her and she gives potions to me.

While we're running around in green (which seems to me sufficient for every sort of content I have encountered so far at lvl 22) and still haven't been able to afford horses, I am quite certain that at some point I will be able to buy one and will enjoy it even more just for the fact that it wasn't just easily handed to me after a few hours of gameplay.

Meanwhile, I enjoy the game just the way it is, especially because it doesn't employ all the tired old economic mechanisms of MMOs that have been done to death.

Yes, you don't swim in gold at lvl 20, you do not have legendary gear and you cannot afford every little thing you wish for ... well, I personally don't think that this is a bad thing.

The issue isn't that we can't afford every little thing we wish for. The issue is you can't find it for sale at all.

It's not an affordability issue. It's an availability one. I wouldn't mind putting in the hours to afford something. But it's hard to afford something that isn't there to buy.

Also, it's nice that you have a trading partner doing opposite crafts as you to help you out. Not all of us are so blessed though, and we need a workable economy to assist us, much as your daughter is doing.

So I would counter that it isn't really the economy that is working out for you. It's your daughter who is helping you out that is.

Edited by Jeremy on April 14, 2014 3:38PM
  • Butcherboy
    Butcherboy
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    This thread has been quite useful for planning how to run my guild store, as soon as I get enough people in it. Please continue adding thoughts and ideas!
    Check out our Guildex page!
    Do you PvP? You should check EsoStats first!
  • LastLaugh
    LastLaugh
    ✭✭
    No
    Yes it is. This is a troll poll that is baited because the OP wants an auction house.

Just because someone holds a point of view you don't agree with, does not make them a troll. I don't think the majority of people who are complaining about the in-game economy are just trying to annoy other forum users.