Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Disgusting EU treatment

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hamon wrote: »
    i mean we could live with whatever bugs exist for another 8 hours surely till the small hours of the morning

And if the patch breaks something else or they missed something? Doing it earlier, while annoying, allows regular maintenance time to be used as cleanup if it is needed.

Two times, the OP has come home from work and hit maintenance. Twice. This is not worth a ragepost.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a personal viewpoint .... i've whined like hell about some bugs .... especially one that brought my mages guild chain to grinding halt.

I'm not going to complain when they try and fix things.

That just seems a bit backwards.
  • Tiux
    Tiux
    What i am interested in, is that will there still be a maintenance tomorrow too?
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    The patch we're pushing out right now was planned for tomorrow, but it was ready today and will fix some of the issues people have been running into while playing. We understand that the time is not ideal for some, but we felt it was critical to get the fixes out now before it gets much later in Europe.

This is good, putting out patches when they are ready will improve the game and the players enjoyment. However when this happens would it be possible to have a little warning, in game? A system message stating that the servers will come down for whatever reason in 5, 10 15 mins. This would be good. I have been caught out twice with the servers coming down now and I was not in the best of places to log out.

*Edited for typo.
    Edited by Killum on April 7, 2014 3:29PM
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    he,s not saying there shouldnt be "any" miantenance, hes saying it could and should be in off peak hours.. dont flame the guy without understanding his point.. i agree with him it should be like 4am maintenance is done not late afternoon early evening

Yeah people arent complaining about the fact that they are patching some of the games issues, they are complaining at the time at which it is being done. Why cant people understand that...

They cant make maintence not shaft EU, they just arent doing it. There is time when all of the EU is not in prime time, I've played other mmo's that have done maintence in downtime without any complaints about it.

These maintence times are only going to damage the game further, It makes sense to patch the game out of peak hours in the EU on the EU megaserver. Then everybody is happy. This game is in retail now not beta, Start providing the service required for paying EU customers.

The point is that they're fixing critical quest bugs. Bugs that in some cases made it difficult or even impossible to progress as intended.

And that, quite frankly, must be a priority over time concerns. Does it really hurt anyone to be unable to play for a couple of hours?

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Audigy
      Audigy
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Audigy wrote: »
      I hope we get a patch detail list by Jess soon, curious what they actually fix ;)

Almost done! They're fairly short. We're finishing them up now.

Cheers ;)
    • whardisonb14_ESO
      This thread is in the wrong place - the customer service forum would be a better venue for this.

You can also contact them directly, an angry post in the wrong forum won't get you the gratification you desire.
    • Killum
      Killum
      ✭✭✭
      he,s not saying there shouldnt be "any" miantenance, hes saying it could and should be in off peak hours.. dont flame the guy without understanding his point.. i agree with him it should be like 4am maintenance is done not late afternoon early evening

Yeah people arent complaining about the fact that they are patching some of the games issues, they are complaining at the time at which it is being done. Why cant people understand that...

They cant make maintence not shaft EU, they just arent doing it. There is time when all of the EU is not in prime time, I've played other mmo's that have done maintence in downtime without any complaints about it.

These maintence times are only going to damage the game further, It makes sense to patch the game out of peak hours in the EU on the EU megaserver. Then everybody is happy. This game is in retail now not beta, Start providing the service required for paying EU customers.

Both the U.S and the E.U servers are in fact in the U.S.A. So until the E.U server gets moved to it's European base I would expect it's easy for them to do maintenance on U.S time. This is something that I knew about and was prepared for. Just mentioned it in case you did not know.

• hamon
      hamon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Kendaric wrote: »

The point is that they're fixing critical quest bugs. Bugs that in some cases made it difficult or even impossible to progress as intended.

And that, quite frankly, must be a priority over time concerns. Does it really hurt anyone to be unable to play for a couple of hours?

well i could also say does it really hurt to have the fixing of those quest wait for the other 8 hours to make the patch happen in the middle of the night? surely you can go onto other quests till its fixed rather than sacrifice several hours of peak time play ? ive got bugged quests i,ll go back and finish .. but i'd rather be playing now and go back and finished them tommorow than not be able to play for the 3rd night this week in peak times.

• Caran
      Caran
      ✭✭✭
      Killum wrote: »
      The patch we're pushing out right now was planned for tomorrow, but it was ready today and will fix some of the issues people have been running into while playing. We understand that the time is not ideal for some, but we felt it was critical to get the fixes out now before it gets much later in Europe.

This is good, putting out patches when they are ready will improve the game and the players enjoyment. However when this happens would it be possible to have a little warning, in game? A system message stating that the servers will come down for whatever reason in 5, 10 15 mins. This would be good. I have been caught out twice with the servers coming down now and I was not in the best of places to log out.

*Edited for typo.

Actually, I received just such a warning ... though only in German and French, not in English ...
    • NextGame
      NextGame
      ✭✭

Are we going to get credited playing time back for this downtime, you know, now that we have filled in our payment details?

This is not the right time of day to be patching EU, when EU is coming home from work and wanting to chill out and play for a bit.
    • Killum
      Killum
      ✭✭✭
      Caran wrote: »

Actually, I received just such a warning ... though only in German and French, not in English ...

That's probably why I didn't notice it then :)

• Lalai
      Lalai
      ✭✭✭✭

well i could also say does it really hurt to have the fixing of those quest wait for the other 8 hours to make the patch happen in the middle of the night? surely you can go onto other quests till its fixed rather than sacrifice several hours of peak time play ? ive got bugged quests i,ll go back and finish .. but i'd rather be playing now and go back and finished them tommorow than not be able to play for the 3rd night this week in peak times.

In some cases it can hurt. I know some areas are having instances where people are getting logged out and rolled back 10 minutes semi-frequently. I also know they've had problems where people's entire bank disappeared (from what I've read they are restoring the bank items for people). If they have fixes for those things they really are ASAP deals. If it was just a few bugged side quests, I would agree.. there's a lot more going on though. Some people can't even play.
      Fisher extraordinaire!
      Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
      Templar Healer
      Daggerfall Covenant, NA
    • Inversus
      Inversus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      NextGame wrote: »

Are we going to get credited playing time back for this downtime, you know, now that we have filled in our payment details?

This is not the right time of day to be patching EU, when EU is coming home from work and wanting to chill out and play for a bit.

@NextGame
      Highly doubt we will be.
      Firstly, at the moment we are in the free month so we aren't even paying the sub at the moment.
      Secondly, it's in the terms that they're allowed to run maintenance.
      VR14 EH Sorc
      VR1 AD NB Crafter
    • hamon
      hamon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Killum wrote: »

Both the U.S and the E.U servers are in fact in the U.S.A. So until the E.U server gets moved to it's European base I would expect it's easy for them to do maintenance on U.S time. This is something that I knew about and was prepared for. Just mentioned it in case you did not know.
      well if it was my business i'd pay a few staff to deploy the patch at whatever time suited hundreds of thousands of my paying customers , even if it inconvienienced said staff... rather than upset thousands of customers..
    • Mortuum
      Mortuum
      ✭✭✭✭

Refund for patch time?? Best joke ever, seriously. Yes they will post you 2 cents for it...

• Otherside
      Otherside
      ✭✭

You want ZOS to credit you playtime...because they do maintenance? You have absolutely no idea how MMO's work if you think that is a reasonable request.

It's not the best time, I agree, and they could have given us warning if this was planned. But the issues I hope they are fixing are delaying progress/completely game-breaking. However, we haven't had whole days down, such as the US server has had. Think on that.
    • Urnbak
      Urnbak
      I see no problem in having their team patch/update and whatnot during nighttime, both for EU and USA servers. 2-3 AM

Agree, anytime is prime time for someone by why when the majority of ppl wanna play while servers are down, if they held on for another 6-7 hours then most ppl wouldn't mind downtime when close to bedtime.

Edited by Urnbak on April 7, 2014 3:47PM
    • Caran
      Caran
      ✭✭✭
      I think it is a bit early to talk about compensation. If the downtime lasts six hours, we might start talking about something.
    • cubansyrusb16_ESO
      cubansyrusb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭
      and how on earth am I a troll?

It was even a PLANNED patch and we had no notice, atleast a day before.

Its like...things just gets rolled out and all we can do is watch.

If it was PLANNED you knew about it .... what is your point ?
    • Audigy
      Audigy
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭

That's not how MMO´s work m8. You need to accept downtimes to fix game related issue´s.
      Besides that, nobody paid a sub yet - its still the 30 free days.

And who knows, now that they do the maintenance today, maybe they don't have to tomorrow.
      Edited by Audigy on April 7, 2014 3:46PM
    • Urnbak
      Urnbak

Agree CCP used to bring there single EVE server down for maintenence everyday for ONE hour.
    • NextGame
      NextGame
      ✭✭
      Otherside wrote: »

You want ZOS to credit you playtime...because they do maintenance? You have absolutely no idea how MMO's work if you think that is a reasonable request.

It's not the best time, I agree, and they could have given us warning if this was planned. But the issues I hope they are fixing are delaying progress/completely game-breaking. However, we haven't had whole days down, such as the US server has had. Think on that.

Not really interested in whether or not you think it is a reasonable request, but thanks for your input I guess?

It is a fairly standard thing to happen in games with subscriptions and in fact another game I subscribe to (even though its free to play) has credited subscribers with premium playing time for some planned maintenance that was conducted over the last few days.

With this being badly announced and relatively unplanned. I would expect that it would be a reasonable assertion that ZOS would wish to retain an ameniable player base in the face of significant unplanned prime time outages and consideration towards their player base is a prerequisite for that, especially when the product is pretty flaky at best and still very early in its life.

Lets also mention that this outage is occurring during a very specific timeframe where a major gaming news site was attempting to conduct a live stream for the game (great advert for it!) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-07-video-the-elder-scrolls-online-live-stream

It's also not a competition between EU and US, I think everyone would prefer if both megaservers were as up as frequently as possible in order that we could all enjoy the game that we have purchased. Think on that.
      Edited by NextGame on April 7, 2014 4:00PM
    • kynopoulosb16_ESO
      I think the timing is absolutly terrible. Its peak time in EU and they should always do this stuff early morning. But i guess thats the result in having EU servers in USA, I guess for most of USA it will be night when they do this stuff. Its like in every online game America gets always the better treatment.

I mean everything is delayed in this game because we have to put up with a terrible ping and at peaks sometimes its close to unplayable. To be honest Im not willing to pay a monthly fee when they dont even want to spend EU an European based server.
    • Shahraz
      Shahraz
      Soul Shriven
      They really need to improve how server maintenance is done.
      * At least tell us one day before, the exact time, how long it will last...
      * The launcher has a news section, right? well... THIS IS NEWS, use it.
      * Evening is not the right time to do this kind of stuff. Is not the first time this happens, at least tell us is this will always be the time frame so we can plan ahead, including what we'll do in 30 days.

This is the first time i've seen this in a MMO, really, server maintentance can last longer than expected and afect many players, but NEVER i've seen that it was done in the worst time frame for everyone, never!
    • Grumblestiltskin
      Grumblestiltskin
      ✭✭✭
      This is the SECOND time I come home from work and 5 minutes into the game theres maintainance...seriously?

Ask for an extra paper round or something. You will get home later AND have a few extra pounds to spend.

PATS - Positively Against Acronyms that don't make Sense
    • Kolur
      Kolur
      ✭✭
      I agree. this should be done during nighttime In EU... At like 2AM UK Central.
      So that the game Is playable for us during our peak hours..
      This isn't the first time I get home and the few hours I have to play are taken away cause of a Maintaince, gone from top 5 down to below top 40 In PvP already...
      Cause I keep missing my few hour chances.
    • baratron
      baratron
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Urgh, stop saying that maintenance should be done at 2 am UK time! That's prime time for those of us who are night owls!

Now, 4 am UK time... That's late enough that most of the night owls have gone to bed, and not quite so early that horrible morning people are up... ;).
      Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
      Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
      Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
      Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
      Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
      Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
      Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
      Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
      Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
      Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    • Otherside
      Otherside
      ✭✭
      baratron wrote: »
      Urgh, stop saying that maintenance should be done at 2 am UK time! That's prime time for those of us who are night owls!

Now, 4 am UK time... That's late enough that most of the night owls have gone to bed, and not quite so early that horrible morning people are up... ;).

Doing it sometime in the early hours of the morning would be better than this. I wouldn't mind so much if they actually told us about "planned maintenance" a little earlier than 15 minutes before by an in-game announcement. But still...I get back home, log in, hey, unexpected maintenance. The least they can do is tell us if the're going to do this.

Hell, they do it at stupid hours on SWTOR sometimes, but at least there's some warning from bioware as to when it is.

Regardless, there's always going to be someone that is going to be unhappy, regardless of what time they do it, but doing it EU prime time (evening, when the majority will be getting back from work and looking forward to being able to chill on ESO = bad time to do it. Very bad time to do it.)

Please tell me this will at least change when they move the server to the EU, if they won't bother too whilst it's in the US.