Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Figuring out lock picking? Easy yes, Easy no?

• Snicker
    Snicker
    Soul Shriven
    Instead of letting go of the left button when it jiggles, press your right mouse button quickly. It has the same effect and I find it much more responsive than releasing the left button.
  • SpieleNerd
    no problems at all
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    I was terrible at it because I assumed you had to get the pins all the way in. Then 1 loading screen had a tooltip about how to lockpick I believe. I haven't failed since even on the hardest chests.

Granted I played a lot of FPS's when I was younger so my reaction time is still fairly quick.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first it gave me some problems. Probably because the mechanic was so alien to me because I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before. But once I got the hang of it I started to enjoy it, and I no longer dread opening chests but actually look forward to it.
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's become my source of entertainment. Kind of like an "ooh a chest to pick". I think I've gotten more exp from picking locks than I have from dungeons. Ok maybe thats an exaggeration but I do enjoy picking locks even for the 1% chance of a blue item.
  • yoshimagit
    yoshimagit
    Soul Shriven
    Coggage wrote: »
    I have a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome plus a bit of arthritis in my hands and it makes lockpicking a waste of my time, sadly. I'll just have to do without the phat lewt. :(
    it isnt really all that "phat" lol
  • LilBudyWizerub17_ESO
    It helps if you realize there's only actually four positions for the pins.
    My Guild - Anvil
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that ridiculously easy nor is it insanely hard for me. I usually manage to open chests for the first try but only with a few seconds left. Occasionally I run out of time and then of course there are already people waiting for the chest there.

This reminded me of a thought I had about chests in dungeons which I would share with everyone :P.

I have been to Fungal Grotto once and it was full of chests, not sure if it is normal or not, but it was cool. Anyway, the possible issue is that over 3/4 of the chests were opened by an archer which was okay, no one was arguing but it just felt weird at first that he was rushing for the chest instead of focusing on the combat.I clearly could not do that as a healer, so I asked for a second of pause before the next group and started opening the chest I noticed. If I failed it, the said archer was already there, jumping at the chest. Now, I usually avoid unnecessary conflicts and try to look at things positively so instead of taking it as rude to take from a party member, even though most chest are his anyway, I just assumed in reverse case he wouldn't complain either and this method (open it or lose it) is generally accepted in parties too.

Now this could have gone bad in many ways but luckily it didn't. People could have complained that I (or in other cases, the tank) should focus on healing (tanking) and not on chests, people could complain about stealing "their" chests and so on. We could also have just looted one after the other but I didn't really mind, it was my first dungeon. I would, however, reduce the xp gained from opening chests in instanced dungeons and make it party-wise to make it more fair, especially since I know I will be facing situations I mentioned about, people complaining, arguing over a locked chest.

Sorry for the random brainstorming, I just had to share :D
    Edited by Csub on April 10, 2014 2:39AM
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think we should be able to headbutt chests open.
  • ursacorb14_ESO
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    I still think we should be able to headbutt chests open.

That would make things so much easier even if there was a deduction in the treasure quality. Bash the chests open as an option, but in doing so you damage what is inside the chest as well. And if you do it with your head you have a chance of knocking yourself out.

I could deal with that
    A Bear is a terrible thing to tick off, especially when he is trying to be helpful
  • Skeksi
    Skeksi
    ✭✭
    I remember seeing a Chest with Impossible difficulty in Shadowfen, that didn't even allow me to attempt to pick it. Anyone know what that's about?
  • Kelara
    Kelara
    Soul Shriven
    It's too hard for you to pick at this time, if you come back later it will be "master" or lower. It seems to be related to more than level, possibly it's related to your experience with chests, as they become possible sometimes without levelling up, but after a couple more chests.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Couldn't lockpick to save my life in Oblivion, and can't in this game either, but at least Oblivion had opening spells. Skyrim's minigame was so much easier.

Fortunately I often travel with a friend who finds it a piece of cake and doesn't mind sharing what she gets out of chests. :)
    Edited by adriant1978 on April 10, 2014 9:02AM
  • Deepfry
    Deepfry
    I find it to be very easy
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if you do it with your head you have a chance of knocking yourself out.

Unless you're an orc.
  • Elessor
    Elessor
    It's not difficult. I have not had that much practice, but could open a master lock
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually have 100 lockpicks in my pack... I MIGHT dip down to 99 if I sneeze during the lockpick attempt.

Lockpicking's a breeze. And knowing the out-of-the-way spawn locations helps. ;)
  • Lamprey
    Lamprey
    Just to parrot what everyone else said, it's supper easy.

Just because it is en vogue at the moment to complain, I'll say I don't like these types of "mechanics" in games. I play an RPG to make my character better. I should not have to have "skills" in real life to do things that my character has "skills" for. Yes, I realize that playing requires some level of skill and there are no lock picking skills in this game. But, to reiterate, that's why I level/train my toon(s) to be proficient in the world in which they live.
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Lock picking is easy IMO
  • cromica81_ESO
    cromica81_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy the lock picking from the very first beta I was in it was very simple to understand and easy to do no matter the difficulty. I am only level 27 but I have probably only broken 8-9 picks the whole time. In fact I have had so many every time I get another stack of 100 I just throw them in the guild bank for anyone to take.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fortunately I often travel with a friend who finds it a piece of cake and doesn't mind sharing what she gets out of chests. :)

Ditto! I quest with my sister sometimes. She's awful at chests while I adore the act immensely (roguey characters are my favorite kind). So, when we quest, I pick the lock and we split our loot right down the middle. :)
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snicker wrote: »
    Instead of letting go of the left button when it jiggles, press your right mouse button quickly. It has the same effect and I find it much more responsive than releasing the left button.

Best way I've found is,

Instead of using the left mouse button to push the pins down, use the right.
    When the pin starts to shake, keep the right mouse button pressed, and click on the left button.

As Snicker says above, it's much more responsive.

The benefit of doing it this way is if when you click the left button, you get it wrong, as your still holding the right button, the pin instantly starts being pushed down again which saves valuable seconds.

So hold right button and keep it held and click with left. Give it a go