Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Feel like I'm constantly under-leveled

• Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Just wander around the map. You will find things that open up new quests for you. Also, if you have any black icons on your map, that means that area isn't finished. There is some sort of major quest in that area, or boss you need to fight. There are also some hidden quests that aren't even labeled on the map or have a start to, like Dells Claim (?) that are out there.

I suggest just jumping on your horse and going to any empty areas on your map to find more quests.

By the time I finished all the quests I could in that area (minus the bugged Banished Cells), I was level 16. All that was without any unneeded grinding.

As for your leather shortage, best place to get rawhide would be off of mudcrabs. Only thing is, level 14 is the last level you can create rawhide leather. Level 16 requires the next tier of material, which is just hide.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you do not accidentally miss the starter island. Do all the quests in the early zones and don't try to sneak past every mob you come across. Craft gear as you level because it is very easy to have under-leveled gear if you rely on drops and quest rewards. The most important thing is to do all the quests in a zone - many of the quest givers are not automatically run into by doing the main storyline quest. You should be about level 8 before leaving the starter island. In addition, find all the skyshards in a zone - even if your level is appropriate, you will start to feel functionally under-leveled without picking up any skyshards.
    Edited by Vikova on April 9, 2014 1:11PM
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carde wrote: »
    I never understood how people had this problem in the beta or even now, I'm still and always have been like 3-4+ levels over the quests I'm doing. :(

I think it's lack of exploration. I'm in the same boat as you, and I haven't set foot in Cyrodiil on most of mine that have this issue (it isn't really an issue to me).

You get xp increases for exploring areas, finishing points of interest and even unlocking new map locations via talking to npcs (that don't have quest icons). Not to mention the tiny amount trickling in constantly from kills as you do all that.
    Edited by Shimond on April 9, 2014 1:12PM
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    Carde wrote: »
    I never understood how people had this problem in the beta or even now, I'm still and always have been like 3-4+ levels over the quests I'm doing. :(

I think it's lack of exploration.
    I agree.

• Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    I usually feel way too overpowered. At level 14, I've been doing level 20+ quests and killing groups of level 21-22 NPCs It may be my experience in the beta has prepared me, but i don't know.
  • jadeappleb16_ESO
    On my main I do everything and have no problem with being at a good level for the content I'm working on. It's been within about two levels over what I'm doing. With my crafting alt, which I'm leveling mostly for craft skill points I'm in the same area and skipping a lot of it. I'm about 4 levels or so under. This is working well for me. The main gets all of the story content and with my alt the same content is a bit more challenging.

Just make sure you explore everywhere. As already been stated make sure all map icon are white. The quest and cave achievements for the particular area also indicate whether you've got them all. When I thought I finished Stonefalls I was three quests shy of the achieve so I knew I missed something.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, exploring helps a lot. It also helps to have done the starter island thoroughly -- should be level 8 or so when leaving it. Also you should craft and enchant your gear so that it is constantly on level, find all of your skyshards, and use all of your skill points that you have from everything so that you are constantly maxed out in skills and gear at all times, and using buffs and pots that are up to your level as well. Basically, you need to craft your crafts to stay on level, and get all the shards so that you have all of the points invested. Otherwise, you are going to feel underpowered even against on-level enemies. Regular questing and drops and quest rewards simply do not cut it in this game -- not even close.
  • Tuinslang
    Tuinslang
    The game shouldn't be easy. Atleast not for me. So if you feel like you are to weak for a quest, make sure to gear up!
    Currently playing Redguard Dragonknight | Skill line: Dragonic Power | Crafting skill: Blacksmithing
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are probably skipping/missing quests, I have been exploring and finding quests everywhere and I have been just about right in level with the next zone, I am level 38 so far.

The only quests I get underleveled for are the Mage and fighters guild quests, they're like level 43+ And I tried doing them at my level and didn't work out so well.

I hope there will be an addon that shows you if you completed all the quests or tell you ones that you missed and where you can find them, but the way the game is setup you pretty much just run into all the available quests, I don't see how I could have missed any but I guess it's possible.