Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Feel like I'm constantly under-leveled

Roboboy2710
Roboboy2710
✭✭
I am currently level 12, and feel like all the main story/alliance quests are always a level or two higher than I am. It feels like the alliance quests is going in this order: do an alliance quest, grind (seems to have no noticible effect, am I doing it wrong?)/do a bunch of misc quests to level up a few times, do next alliance quest, repeat. My main goal is to become a werewolf before it becomes mainstream (possible reason for me trying to level at a rediculous pace?) Any tips for leveling or becoming a werewolf at low levels so that I can apply the brakes?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
  • Dolenz
    Dolenz
    ✭✭✭
    I felt that way in beta for the Ebonheart Pact but the Daggerfall Covenant and Aldmeri Dominion seem better.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it wonderful? ^_^

Make sure you're using level appropriate gear. Craft, or make friends with a crafter. It's so weird coming from other games where you just loot everything you need to level, but once you get used to it... it's a novelty worth treasuring.

Food buffs and alchemical potions are a boon as well, and don't forget to find a shrine to get a Boon bonus!

Use terrain to your advantage as well. Enemies don't like to run through lava or swim through deep water any more than you do, and if you attack from atop a cliff face, they can't just warp up to you -- they have to run the long way around.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Roboboy2710
    Roboboy2710
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the quick replies, I actually use mostly hand crafted items, and try to craft myself a new set of armor and weapons (daggers and a bow) every time I level up. Iron and wood are really easy to find in the Aldmeri Dominion (don't know about other factions), I literally have 98 iron ingots and counting. However rawhide, on the other hand, is a pain to collect ಠ_ಠ
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
  • rvr1982
    rvr1982
    ✭✭
    I've got the same feeling.
    Here are a few tips : Do the daily pvp quest every day (Kill 20 players). Join a big group to finish this faster. (save the alliance points for higher level)
    When the level difference becomes too important (4-5 levels above your's), go to Cyrodiil, and do the pve quests in Bruma or Cheydinhall. The quests are not that hard when no ennemy player is around.
    Also, do some dungeons from time to time. Seem's like a lot of high end content is for groups only, so why not learn to play in a group at an early stage.

Hope this helps
    (cant help for the werewolf thing, i did not tried it yet)
  • ChuiDuma
    ChuiDuma
    ✭✭✭
    As for werewolf, I would recommend leveling more before attempting that. The quest you have to complete is a level 38 quest and it's sometimes difficult to do when you are at level. I completed it since launch at level 20, with a bit of luck - you have to get the mammoth and get some timing down, have potions, and not a tiny bit of skill. If you get the troll, you're not going to be able to do it that low.

If you get a player to bite you keep in mind it's on a 6 day timer when you get bit by another player - if you don't complete it within that time you'll have to get infected again.

Also, overall I would recommend trying to find all the skyshards and quests in the area. You also get xp from finding new places, so if you can equip armor that has xp bonuses for discovery that always helps.

Good luck.
    * Mara's Tester * >:) * The Psijic Order *
    * Werewolf *
  • software_goddess
    software_goddess
    ✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    Isn't it wonderful? ^_^

Make sure you're using level appropriate gear. Craft, or make friends with a crafter. It's so weird coming from other games where you just loot everything you need to level, but once you get used to it... it's a novelty worth treasuring.

Food buffs and alchemical potions are a boon as well, and don't forget to find a shrine to get a Boon bonus!

Use terrain to your advantage as well. Enemies don't like to run through lava or swim through deep water any more than you do, and if you attack from atop a cliff face, they can't just warp up to you -- they have to run the long way around.

Oh yes, I’ve recently discovered that a good meal before adventuring is a must. It might sound sexist, but my husband is following the armor crafting and I am following the cooking crafting, so we can trade a good dress for a good meal.
  • Roboboy2710
    Roboboy2710
    ✭✭
    Will try out the Cyrodiil quests, already got myself a little bit of experience in scouting and such (snuck all the way from Aldmeri Dominion to the steed stone through enemy territory, now they all see me rollin' and they hatin'). I'll try to find a group as well.
    Edited by Roboboy2710 on April 7, 2014 5:42AM
  • Roboboy2710
    Roboboy2710
    ✭✭
    ChuiDuma wrote: »
    As for werewolf, I would recommend leveling more before attempting that. The quest you have to complete is a level 38 quest and it's sometimes difficult to do when you are at level. I completed it since launch at level 20, with a bit of luck - you have to get the mammoth and get some timing down, have potions, and not a tiny bit of skill. If you get the troll, you're not going to be able to do it that low.

If you get a player to bite you keep in mind it's on a 6 day timer when you get bit by another player - if you don't complete it within that time you'll have to get infected again.

Also, overall I would recommend trying to find all the skyshards and quests in the area. You also get xp from finding new places, so if you can equip armor that has xp bonuses for discovery that always helps.

Good luck.
    Alright definitely going to have to level up a bit more for that, still my long term goal over everything else, though.
  • Roboboy2710
    Roboboy2710
    ✭✭
    Also how long on average does it take to reach level 35-40?
  • Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I never understood how people had this problem in the beta or even now, I'm still and always have been like 3-4+ levels over the quests I'm doing. :(
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carde wrote: »
    I never understood how people had this problem in the beta or even now, I'm still and always have been like 3-4+ levels over the quests I'm doing. :(

Right. With my main in DC, i did the two starting islands, and when i came back to Daggerfall i was level 9. Werewolf quest inside daggerfall is level 4. The mill quest outside of daggerfall is level 5, and the story continues as a level 6 quest. Both fighter's and mage's guild quests are level 8.

I found that when i do all quests i run into, i am constantly several levels above them.
  • Humor
    Humor
    ✭✭✭
    ESO I first thought an MMORPG fist and foremost, but as I play the real thing it proves me wrong, time after time again. ESO is not to be rushed. I have multiple chars, and the highest leveled char I play with my friends. As soon as I started doing thing solo, and realizing I've missed many quest/story, the sooner I've realized I've made horrible mistake "Rushing" with them.

Rushing in ESO does no justice, nor would it any other TES games. While majority of the time,quests/missions will be marked on your map, there was almost 12 quests/missions I had to actually read through on my "solo" char only to realize I was level 18 before leaving leaving "Stonefalls" main city/area every faction enters. If you rush everything in ESO, you're going to miss out on quests/missions/experience. This is due to quests/dialog telling you what to do, but not marking your map on exactly "What" to do.

An example of this would be the "Brothers Of Strike". While you're facing one throughout marked quests, the second brother is NOT marked on your map, and you literally have to find him through listening to others.

This opens up an additional 5-6 quests, which will give you an additional, 3-4 levels.

I love how "Rushing" does no good in ESO, even though I'm first and foremost an mmorpg player, it's feels nice to uncover these secrets, and come on top of the people who "Rush".
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carde wrote: »

Lack of side-quests I imagine.

Some seem to only crop up if you made certain decision on past quests, and others only show up if you go back to previously "defeated" areas.

It helps to be vigilant about exploring and visiting old haunts, to be certain.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Roboboy2710
    Roboboy2710
    ✭✭
    Humor wrote: »
    ESO I first thought an MMORPG fist and foremost, but as I play the real thing it proves me wrong, time after time again. ESO is not to be rushed. I have multiple chars, and the highest leveled char I play with my friends. As soon as I started doing thing solo, and realizing I've missed many quest/story, the sooner I've realized I've made horrible mistake "Rushing" with them.

Rushing in ESO does no justice, nor would it any other TES games. While majority of the time,quests/missions will be marked on your map, there was almost 12 quests/missions I had to actually read through on my "solo" char only to realize I was level 18 before leaving leaving "Stonefalls" main city/area every faction enters. If you rush everything in ESO, you're going to miss out on quests/missions/experience. This is due to quests/dialog telling you what to do, but not marking your map on exactly "What" to do.

An example of this would be the "Brothers Of Strike". While you're facing one throughout marked quests, the second brother is NOT marked on your map, and you literally have to find him through listening to others.

This opens up an additional 5-6 quests, which will give you an additional, 3-4 levels.

I love how "Rushing" does no good in ESO, even though I'm first and foremost an mmorpg player, it's feels nice to uncover these secrets, and come on top of the people who "Rush".

Applying the handbrake as I read this. Thought about this once or twice, but never to this magnitude. Next time I play, I'm hunting down every side quest I can get my paws on.
  • SpieleNerd
    i looove it that way, finialy a little bit harder mmo! (no facerolling enemys ect.)
  • Dracovar
    Dracovar
    ✭✭✭
    You've missed quests. Look around and explore. When I left Auridon I was level 17, pushing 18. I'm always a couple of levels ahead and I never grind, hate it. Right now I'm level 20 and I still have a few level 16 quests in my journal.
  • Usstan
    Usstan
    ✭✭
    Humor wrote: »

Applying the handbrake as I read this. Thought about this once or twice, but never to this magnitude. Next time I play, I'm hunting down every side quest I can get my paws on.

Check your Achievements (Press J and rightmost icon in the top of the dialog), there's two things that you want to complete all in every area you're in.
    1. Skyshard's, as you want those skillpoints
    2. Quests, to get the all the xp you can and all the fun that goes with them :wink:

And as @Humor‌ wrote, rushing is not good for you in ESO :smiley:
  • Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cookiecut wrote: »

KAYG definitely is what some people are missing. I've heard a lot of people just sneaking past all the mobs from point A to B and coming out underleveled.

Side quests are all over, too. Don't just follow the faction line and main story or you're going to hurt. I scrub each map and always come out on top.
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    You are definitely missing quests somewhere along the way. I've typically been 2 - 3 levels over the area I'm in since I left the starter island/s. If you only follow the main story quests or those on your quest marker it is easy to miss quests. For that matter some areas seem to have quests triggered in other areas.

When you go to an area take the side roads and poke around a bit. Also when you see markers for the boss battles or mini dungeons go off and look for them. When you reach a mini dungeon look around the area. Usually there is a quest associated with it though often the quest giver is hiding in some rocks or along a path you didn't take to get there.
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty easy to see if you missed any quests on the map. As long as all your markers are black, you have discovered a place but not solved the story around it. If all your markers are all white, you done all main quests running around the place. There might still be single questgivers along the way tho. So riding all shown ways on the map to catch them help a lot. I am pushing 15 with my main (have another 13 and a 10). and still have black spots on my Stonefalls map including 2 boss places and a dolmen.
  • LilBudyWizerub17_ESO
    Most likely it's following the player zerg. Part of the quest progression is the experience you should have gained killing mobs to run the quests. So if you don't kill mobs you only get part of the experience you should have gotten and the level of the quests advance faster than you do. There's usually 2-3 quest hubs for a general level. With three you should only have to hit 2 to pace the quest levels. One has the quest levels pulling away from you. Three has you pulling away from the quest levels.

Questing is the fastest way to level so you don't really want to skip quests until you're ready to zone. You don't get extra credit for making life more difficult on yourself. You do get more xp for completing a higher level quest or killing a higher level mob. You also get less for lower. The quests are the easiest and fastest way. So you need to mop up those other quests. Skipping them is just skipping the easiest xp. So you might as well run them at level. If running all the quests has the quests outstripping your level then kill more mobs.

The best defense is a good offense. If the goal is to level fast then jack up the DPS. The faster you kill the faster you level. Engaging is slugfests with high level mobs you don't have the dps to kill quickly is a fool's errand if your goal is to level fast. Some mobs drop items like crazy, farm them rather than gather. Deconstruct all that junk. Unless you're selling to players gathering is just a time and money sink. That player zerg can help a lot, use ranged to tag and bag them. You can fill 60 slots in under an hour. If the mobs are the right level you can equip yourself from the drops. Gear is not that important, powers are. You get plenty of materials for making the odd piece you didn't get. You can start your research, deconstruct everything else and refill your backpack and bank before you're ready to research again. The materials from deconstruction will let you make the rare item that didn't drop. The rare node that happens to be right in front of you will round it off. The most important part is you're xp while doing it.
    My Guild - Anvil
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First
    Feimerdre wrote: »
    It's pretty easy to see if you missed any quests on the map. As long as all your markers are black, you have discovered a place but not solved the story around it. If all your markers are all white, you done all main quests running around the place. There might still be single questgivers along the way tho. So riding all shown ways on the map to catch them help a lot. I am pushing 15 with my main (have another 13 and a 10). and still have black spots on my Stonefalls map including 2 boss places and a dolmen.
    yes and anything who look like an structure tend to have quest or is an quest location, exploring gives xp in it self so do chests.
    Other means of XP is dungeons and PvP.

This tend to balance itself, if you do quests above your level you get lots of xp making you level faster, if you are above the level you get less xp leveling you slower, some quests are hard, other require minimal or none fighting.
    Many can also be done with help from other, just doing them in prime time might make them easy
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Vodkaphile
    Vodkaphile
    ✭✭✭
    My friends and I actually have the exact opposite problem. We aren't even using the Mara rings, we just explore the whole map before leaving the zone. We are way overleveled, I'm already roughly 5 levels past where I should be to start my next zone, and I'm not done my current area. There's no secret to it besides not rushing, taking your time to explore and do dungeons.
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    I am loving how slow my character levels up. Way to many MMO's level the player character to fast so quests become easy. I want a challenge when I play and ESO seems to of gotten the right balance so far.

I made a full set of level 10 leather armour and twin daggers some items I made into green and this helped me a lot from level 10 onwards. Now decided I will make a new full set of equipment every 5 levels. It helps with being a player who enjoys crafting as well.
  • Roboboy2710
    Roboboy2710
    ✭✭
    Alright, I've gone through and double checked khenarthi's roost for quests I might have missed, all I found was one undiscovered location and 2 undiscovered sky shards. I also found Mai'q the Liar, and picked a couple of chests for xp. Still level 12, and going to check Auridon.
  • sully73
    sully73
    ✭✭
    If you explore everything and do a majority of the quests available to you there is no real reason you should be under-leveled. I'm lvl 17 and I'm way above the quests. I haven't grinder at all it's all from exploring and questing and I still got a lot to go for Gelmburia the first area in the Daggerfall Alliance
  • rjvenech
    rjvenech
    I had this problem, too. Try exploring areas you haven't been to, public dungeons, ruins, etc.
    Also, green and grey quests will still give you a decent amount of XP. The quest reward is locked to whatever level it is, but the XP it rewards scales to your level (haven't tested extensively, so I don't know if there is a limit to this, but I would imagine there would be). But I did a few level 9/10 quests as a level 15, and I still got a decent amount of experience.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    Greys do? I thought that greys gave no XP.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's MORE than enough content to get you through the levels on level (I'm currently 2 above the range for my area) but it is a case of taking some time out to explore blanked or empty regions on your map. Even is map completion isn't that important to you, try and consider that you need to visit everywhere because when/if you do you're only a step away from not only a quest NPC but starter quest for a chain of 4/5 quests and few hundred XP.