Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best Place to Farm Motifs?

Vivec
Vivec
✭✭✭
What's the best place you've found to farm Motifs so far? Meaning an area with lots of cabinets/chests/drawers in 1 area that's easily farmable.

I know of the bank/temple run in Vulkhel, has anyone else found an area that's better?
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never looked for any because there are so many players willing to trade them.
  • Icy
    Icy
    ✭✭✭✭
    The inn across the way from the bank in Davon's Watch (EB) has had an excellent success rate for my guildies. An number of them already have the full complement of (normal) books.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________Greetings, Outlanders from -Icy (@IcyIC)twitch.tv/IcyICyoutube.com/HulloItsIcy(not ZOS_Icy)_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any inn, really. They have so many places to open up, you're sure to find something useful in one.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the sense that they're not giving out as many as they used to. I don't farm them, either, because they're everywhere and I've always been able to find or trade for what I want. Right now, I have one character who has all the motifs but Breton (she's Breton) and Dark Elf. That's it.

But for awhile I was finding several a day. Now I haven't found any for a long time - like two days. I know it's random, but even the randomness feels like it has gone down.
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During beta I had like all of them within short order. I haven't found any since playing after launch, and I ransack every crate and bag I see. Bad luck I suppose.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Taeko
    Taeko
    I've actually found a couple on all four of my characters just checking all of the chests, desks, backpacks, and wardrobes in the bank every time I go there(any faction). I believe crates will always have provision type stuff, not motifs.
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bank on the AD side. Open all the chests and dressers in the main area near the clerk and also check all the other dresser. Theres a room just off from where the clerk is that had 3 dressers and a chest also. I've got most my Motifs for 2 character from there.
  • DaiKahn
    DaiKahn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heh, I'm level 16 and loot absolutely everything I see, yet I've found no motifs whatsoever :neutral_face:
    I'm just a man
    Hail Sithis
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    Took me 20 levels to find my first motif book. And I loot everything in sight, so I guess it's just bad luck on that regards.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a lot in beta, of course NOT one since early access (though I had more luck with treasure maps)
  • thjudgeman1142ub17_ESO
    I have found all of mine in trunks and night stands... all the others just give me crafting or provision items...
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Icy wrote: »
    The inn across the way from the bank in Davon's Watch (EB) has had an excellent success rate for my guildies. An number of them already have the full complement of (normal) books.

Well, this comment was all sorts of useful. Gracias.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got two last night from desks/trunks/whatever in the Daggerfall bank (Nord and High Elf). Basically any of the 'indoor only' type containers (desks, trunks, cabinets, etc) yield a higher chance of them appearing.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    I got two last night from desks/trunks/whatever in the Daggerfall bank (Nord and High Elf). Basically any of the 'indoor only' type containers (desks, trunks, cabinets, etc) yield a higher chance of them appearing.

Once I realized this, it was so nice to be able to stop looting barrels and sacks.
  • Anthony45122
    Anthony45122
    ✭✭✭
    One of the best places to "farm" for them is coldharbour. When you get the quest to go and save Abnur Tharn there will be a room with around 20 trunks to check in. Relog to reset and continue. I've heard of people getting racial books 1-10 including imperial this way within an hour or two.
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once I realized this, it was so nice to be able to stop looting barrels and sacks.

You will not get these in barrels and sacks; only in things like furniture, and chests. You will need to look in towns (I found two this morning!), and you want to go where there are fewer players.

I posted some basic info here.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • Kemono
    Kemono
    ✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    only in things like furniture, and chests. You will need to look in towns (I found two this morning!), and you want to go where there are fewer players.

All "container" type objects (except chest) are instanced to all players -so its not really important iof there are no players around or ton of players. Quite often -you just find all containers "open", but this not because they were all looted recently -its because RNG hates you >:)

Its also worth mentioning that Backpacks are also a source of provisioning recipes and rascial motifs and stones.
    So dont forget to check them everytime you see one
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't any motifs in months, don't know what you guys are talking about when you say a long time is 2 days.
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't any motifs in months, don't know what you guys are talking about when you say a long time is 2 days.

Two days was a long time to go without finding a motif...six months ago. This thread's last post before you was shorty after ESO went live.

"Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • majinstef
    majinstef
    ✭✭
    Every now and then in a random cabinet :P
  • Louis
    Louis
    ✭✭✭
    anything thats a drawer,closet,heavy sack,cupboard should do the trick.
    the rate of it spawning in a crate,sack,basket is minimal
    alot of people look at this signature, i guess youre one of them.
  • MountedBeast
    I found most of my motiffs in urns and jugs, in stonefalls (ebonheart) there is a dwemer cave that i found all of them in. Its the inner sea armature. I found 5 dwemer chapters along with redguard bosmer breton and dunmer going there only once when i log in.
    Join The Neighborhood Watch and cleanse the roads of Cyrodiil in the name of the Ebonheart Pact on Xbox One. Send message to GT: x3o2x or Mountedbeast for invite
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best place (in my experience) to farm motifs without resorting to thievery, is the bank at Coldharbour.
  • SeaNBeGoNe
    i play constantly, loot everything and been playing since launch on xbox and only have found 2 .... i am about to resort to being a theif ! Lol
    If interested in joining - Gamemasters
    140+ PvE/PvP/Trading Guild
    1 Current Event Going
    GT: SeaNBeGoNe
  • iassi1ub17_ESO
    I found an imperial motif in a backpack the other day