Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting: Racial Motifs Guide

Gedalya
Gedalya
✭✭✭✭✭
Racial motifs represent a skill in the Elder Scrolls Online used in Crafting, specifically Blacksmithing, to craft in a style corresponding to a race. By default, your character will know only the Motif associated with their race.

Listing of Racial Motifs
The following is the current list of Racial Motifs, followed by the material used with that motif:
High Elf (Altmer) - Adamantite
Wood Elf (Bosmer) - Bone
Khajiit - Moonstone
Argonian - Flint
Nord - Corundum
Dark Elf (Dunmer) - Obsidian
Breton - Molybdenum
Orc - Manganese
Redguard - Starmetal
Ancient Elf - Malachite
Barbaric - Copper
Daedric - Daedra Heart
Imperial - Nickel
Primal - Argentum

Understanding and Acquiring Racial Motifs
You can not buy Racial Motifs from Vendors in-game; although you can buy or trade with other players. Racial Motifs are tied to your character; not your account. Finding Racial Motifs in game is uncommon although there are tips you can follow that will make your chances better: look inside buildings/structures, in containers inside those structures; such as desks, chests/trunks, night stands, dressers (basically furniture). Also check for Racial Motifs in areas that are out of the way (where other players are fewer).

Understanding and Acquiring Styling Materials
The styling materials used for crafting in the style of a Racial Motif can be found or purchased from in-game Vendors (and players), specifically Clothiers (and possibly others). The styling materials used for styling a Racial Motif are not to be confused with the materials used to create an item. When Blacksmithing, there will be an option reflecting a Material, such as Iron or Steel, and Styles, such as Molybdenum for the Breton Racial style, or Obsidian for the Dunmer (Dark Elf) Racial style. In other words, there are Blacksmithing Materials (Iron, Steel, etc.), and Blacksmithing Style [Materials] (Molybdenum, Obsidian). Like Racial Motifs, styling materials can be found in buildings/structures, inside containers inside those structures; such as desks, chests/trunks, night stands, dressers (basically furniture); unlike Racial Motifs, you can find styling materials in the wild in backpacks, in dungeons in containers such as urns, pots et al.. Blacksmithing materials such as Iron can be mined in the wild when you find a deposit; you will never find a deposit of a style material so these are not things you can mine.

I found the following video to be extremely helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEfymeqIWhY

Further Questions
  1. Can I read/use a Racial Motif book that I have already read/used? No.
  2. How do I know which Racial styles I have available (from Racial Motifs)? Once a Racial Motif book is read/used, it will become available under Style when creating an item at a Blacksmithing station; if the style is red, then you have no styling materials (however this is easy to correct, read above).
  3. Are Racial styling (from Racial Motifs) tied to my Account or my Character? Character; although you will likely come across Racial Motifs that you already have learned, and you can put these in a Bank to be available to other characters.
Edited by Gedalya on April 16, 2014 2:20PM
Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • L3utzu
    L3utzu
    This is what you call a guide? You must be proud :smile:
  • john.economoub14_ESO
    I thought it was informative. Thanks for taking the time to explain it all.
  • zydrateanatomy
    Now what we really need is some kind of photo gallery with all the tiers and races. I'd like to see what they all look like before wasting precious materials crafting them.
  • marderforhire
    marderforhire
    ✭✭
    Now what we really need is some kind of photo gallery with all the tiers and races. I'd like to see what they all look like before wasting precious materials crafting them.
    You can in game open up craft workshop uncheck have knowledge and cycle through the styles for armor wep ect.. and it shows you what the Armour looks like at what tier for what race...
  • zydrateanatomy
    Does it actually show it on my character? I can see all the icons just fine but that doesn't give me a complete representation.

By extension, is there a "Preview on self" by any chance? So many MMO's have that.
  • nhisso
    nhisso
    ✭✭✭✭
    L3utzu wrote: »

Seriously, if this wasn't enough info for you, perhaps you should play something a little more simple.

• Drahin
    Drahin
    ✭✭
    Found this site awhile back. Hopefully folks keep updating it with missing pieces.
    eso-fashion.com/
  • Winke
    Winke
    ✭✭✭
    Drahin wrote: »
    Found this site awhile back. Hopefully folks keep updating it with missing pieces.
    eso-fashion.com/

its good but doesn't cover every single mat and racial option quite yet. they keep updating the site it looks like, so i am sure it will become an even better tool in the future.

:: Winke::Breton Templar::Merchant::
    ::Koke::Argonian Dragon Knight:: Bard::
    The Obsidian Brotherhood
    "Eldest, that's what I am...he remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside.."
  • Karm2865
    Karm2865
    You can in game open up craft workshop uncheck have knowledge and cycle through the styles for armor wep ect.. and it shows you what the Armour looks like at what tier for what race...

if you're talking about the really small and fuzzy image in the crafting window i wouldn't call that showing what it looks like.
  • Kie
    Kie
    Karm2865 wrote: »

if you're talking about the really small and fuzzy image in the crafting window i wouldn't call that showing what it looks like.

Especially if you're a woman - the armors can look surprisingly different from the male thumnail sized pictures.
  • Eris
    Eris
    ✭✭✭✭
    L3utzu wrote: »

There are a lot of people who come into the game that don't know what these are or how they work. Not everyone is born knowing all things.
    Side effects of reading messages on forums can cause nausea, head aches, spontaneous fits of rage, urination due to intense laughter, and sometimes the death of your monitor or other object in throwing range. If you find that you are reading forums more than 24 hours a day, please consult your nearest temporal physicist.
  • yvekemeertsb16_ESO
    yvekemeertsb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    ancient elf is palladium btw
    Edited by yvekemeertsb16_ESO on April 29, 2014 4:49AM
  • meghuskoow
    After reading what you posted I went looking and found a woodelf lvl3 motif. My first one. Thanks buddy.
  • understeer
    Dont you need like a certin skill level in blacksmithing and tailing and Woodworking?

I have found about 15 and none of the rarer ones.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    understeer wrote: »
    Dont you need like a certin skill level in blacksmithing and tailing and Woodworking?

I have found about 15 and none of the rarer ones.
    Not for the ones relating to playable races, ie nords, bosmer and imperials.

The other four do require a skill level in Tailoring, Blacksmithing or Woodcrafting. Please note OR, you only need one of the skills to be at that level.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • understeer
    at what level?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    understeer wrote: »
    at what level?

Primal
    Deadric
    Ancient Elf
    Barbaric
    Ancient elf is 8, Barbaric is 7, Deadric is 9, and primal is 6.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • EnochKalahari
    Thank you
  • EnochKalahari
    So motifs spawn randomly?
  • mooney2822
    I spend hours searching and can't find ***!! I found a wood elf one right after I already found a wood elf one and that's it. So if anyone needs wood elf I'll trade.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got all my motifs pre-justice system when I could safely take from cabinets/desks in banks in the appropriate zone ... makes a little more challenging when you can no longer spam loot in cities
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend