Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

only 5 quickbar slots?

• Holmes
    Holmes
    ✭✭
    @nerevarine1138 hate to butt in, but I have a quick question(since you seem to know the answer).

So I have my current 6 skills on my quickbar, and I'm level 14. Then I level up to 15, and put another 6 skills on my new quick bar. Will all the skills gain experience as long as they're on a quickbar, regardless on which one I'm currently using, or will I only receive exp for the set of 6 I'm currently using?

Input appreciated.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read only the skills on the active hotbar level up, hope some higher level can confirm
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's correct, only the bar that you have active will receive the exp so it is a good idea to select the one you want before turning in the quests.
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • Holmes
    Holmes
    ✭✭
    Cheers for the response.
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    having only 6 skills makes you make decisions and think about your loadout.
    As a tank i need my puncture, but what other skills to take? 4 survivability. then i wont be able to help at all.
    The game was also balanced around having only 5 skills slotted at the same time (bonusses from slotting an ability)
    If i could use 6-9 skills id be blatantly OP in soloing.

Example
    skills can be divided in the following categories
    AoE CC
    Ranged/melee
    Single target CC
    Ranged/melee
    AoE Dps
    Ranged/melee
    Single target DPS
    Ranged/melee
    Heals
    Stat buffs
    Gapclosers
    Taunts
    Groupbuff

Using my tanking example
    my build now looks
    Taunt
    Gapcloser
    Melee AoE CC
    Heal
    Stat Buff
    Statbuff

Now if i was able to add more skills, id add 2 long group buffs. or 1 group buff and another statbuff.
    This makes the current group content a lot easier, especially if the dps and healer can add all their group buffs as well.
    Extra dmg, extra regen, shield etc.

While i would love to have more skills to use, because it would make my life easier. It would also make the game less challenging.
    If they add more skillslots, they would have to adjust all the content accordingly.
    While its a nice hypothetical discussion. I dont see the happening soon, and i honestly think in this case its better that we follow zenimax here.
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alyrn_Grey wrote: »
    @nerevarine1138 actually the limit on the number of slots for the control interface is because the game is designed to also be played on the Playstation and Xbox. It is because controllers can't have an unlimited number of control slots setup and it would give an advantage to the PC players.

That said you are correct that at level 15 you unlock the alternate weapon which comes with it's own full set of 5 regular and 1 ultimate slot. On consideration it would be nice to have more alternate weapon slots... :wink:

Is GW2 a console game? Limited quickbars have everything to do with combat mechanics and nothing to do with console limitations.
    GW2 was vastly too low as well, and it had 10 skills this has 5 yes you can swap weapons but you could in GW2 as well for a total of 20 :open_mouth:
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    Alyrn_Grey wrote: »
    @nerevarine1138 actually the limit on the number of slots for the control interface is because the game is designed to also be played on the Playstation and Xbox. It is because controllers can't have an unlimited number of control slots setup and it would give an advantage to the PC players.

That said you are correct that at level 15 you unlock the alternate weapon which comes with it's own full set of 5 regular and 1 ultimate slot. On consideration it would be nice to have more alternate weapon slots... :wink:

Is GW2 a console game? Limited quickbars have everything to do with combat mechanics and nothing to do with console limitations.
    GW2 was vastly too low as well, and it had 10 skills this has 5 yes you can swap weapons but you could in GW2 as well for a total of 20 :open_mouth:

No, you only swapped the 5 weapon skills, the other 5 stayed so 15 skills

In TESO you 6+6=12. plus light attack, strong attack, block, bash, so 16...
    You want 40 skills to macro, hmmmm go back to...wow?
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we need a couple more slots (at least); but what I find really broken is accessing the potion quickslots.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »

When you say "too low," you assume that everyone thought WoW's style of hotbar was the be-all and end-all. I assure you that many people found it overly cluttered and boring. All that it results in is 100 abilities that you use once in a blue moon and 4 abilities everyone spams in rotation.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Qronuz
    Qronuz
    Can't tell if Psychic_Kitty is trolling or really just this uninformed -.-