Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game freeze -> BSOD

perpls
perpls
I've been playing since beta, and for some reason I'm getting glitches from time to time (the whole screen turns to one random colour with a LOT of perfectly spaced vertical lines) which lasts for like a tenth of a second. After half an hour to four hours though, the entire screen freezes up with the same glitch, my PC becomes unresponsive but any sound playing will continue and I can still talk to people on skype/TS. I'm running a R9 280x + 7970 GHz crossfire, and when I disable this I can play for longer before the freeze occurs, but no amount of reinstalling of game or drivers (or beta drivers for that matter) has fixed this. I've also got an i7 3770K if that matters at all, and all hardware are running stock, no overclocking.

Pls halp
  • Goforce
    Goforce
    Hello,

This problems are called "artifacts" and this is an hardware problem in 99% of the cases, the remain 1% is corrupt driver or corrupt operating system ^^

Your R9 280X or 7970GHZ is faulty.

Crossfire of two differents card is not recommanded at all.

Test your 2 cards separately (one card plugged at a time) and you will find which is faulty :wink:

Reinstalling your display drivers may help too.
  • Turhapuro
    Turhapuro
    Soul Shriven
    I get this same crash, though I am not using two cards, just one R9 280
  • perpls
    perpls
    Goforce, both of my graphic cards work perfectly on all other games (except BF4, but that doesn't work in itself) so I'm pretty sure they're fine. A 280x is just a rebranded 7970 GHz, so crossfire between them is cool. Drivers have been reinstalled and I've also tried the beta drivers. ESO is the only game that causes this crash.

Turhapuro, do you get the crash in any other game?
  • Goforce
    Goforce
    Have you tested your Crossfire setup with 3Dmark 2013 ?

If no, download 3Dmark 2013 and test it, do 2-3 run of the full benchmark and see if there is artifacts.
    IF it's OK, test your card separately with TESO like i said above.

I'm sure that the bug is not related at TESO.
    Artifacts + Freeze and BSOD is in 99% of the time, an hardware problem. (or corrupted drivers / O.S)

All games don't use the same engine, all games stress the GPU differently.
    A faulty GPU could be fine with Frostbite Engine when on Unreal Engine, the game crash almost instantly.
    Edited by Goforce on April 6, 2014 3:58PM
  • Turhapuro
    Turhapuro
    Soul Shriven
    I play other games too, like Swtor wich has modified unreal engine and everything seems perfect. Only other game I get same crashing is new version of Space Hulk
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turhapuro wrote: »
    I play other games too, like Swtor wich has modified unreal engine and everything seems perfect. Only other game I get same crashing is new version of Space Hulk

Still, artifacts + crashing + BSOD = either hardware problem with GPU (or possibly power supply) or (less likely but still possible) corrupt drivers.
  • Turhapuro
    Turhapuro
    Soul Shriven
    Sorry, swtor doesnt use Unreal engine. My bad
  • Turhapuro
    Turhapuro
    Soul Shriven
    I am getting really frustrated here.. I have tested both Amd R9 and Nvidia 760 cards and both do the same.
    I don't think it' s about power supply; i have 750 output
  • urtiseth
    urtiseth
    I am also getting the x124 BSOD. I removed all over clocking even if the system was running stable for 1 year before and had no issues in SWTOR Skyrim or even TESO beta. I got one day of play in saturday and then sunday could mostly not login when i did get in game crashed within minutes. Stress the PC (prime95 blend test)over night with 100% cpu for 8 hours no fault Mem test no errors and 3d grafic burn(funmark) in for 20 min could not produce a fault. reinstalled windows and then only the video drivers and TESO and still the same today. I am really regretting my purchace now.

whocrashed log from crash after reinstall
    Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
    On Mon 4/7/2014 2:07:03 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFF800030C6F00)
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA80110C1028, 0xBE200440, 0x11136)
    Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
    This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
    Google query: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    specy Summary
    Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz 40 °C
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z77X-UD3H (Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz) 28 °C
    Graphics
    SyncMaster (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (CardExpert Technology) 35 °C
    Storage
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA) 30 °C
    119GB SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series (SSD) 27 °C
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95
    Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

anyone have any ideas
  • Daverios
    Daverios
    ✭✭✭✭
    Replicatable BSOD's are almost always 100% the memory. In this case likely either a bad RAM stick or the GPU memory. I would swap out the RAM first if I could to check that as it is the cheapest.
  • Turhapuro
    Turhapuro
    Soul Shriven
    Funny thing how stress tests for him and for me and many others stretch your rig to its limits give none of these problems.
    I am starting to feel it´s only because of this game and how it´s made.

There can´t be any other explanation for how all of a sudden half the player base have crappy computers and fried components.
  • Rcrichi
    Rcrichi
    Havent been reading the forum alot. Reset your cmos (or reload your bios) also try to update the bios.
    The only software conflict that can usually cause *124 (0×124)bugchecks are OS to BIOS utilities from manufacturer's like Asus' AI Suite. If you have something like this software-wise, remove it ASAP.

Hope it helps.

Ps: BlueScreenView helps to read the bsod file and makes it easier to understand the problem.
    Edited by Rcrichi on April 7, 2014 4:42PM
  • thilog
    thilog
    ✭✭✭
    Daverios wrote: »
    Replicatable BSOD's are almost always 100% the memory. In this case likely either a bad RAM stick or the GPU memory. I would swap out the RAM first if I could to check that as it is the cheapest.

Absolutely right. Don't panic if you're getting blue screens/black screens, endless freezes etc.

Tbh in 20 odd years of dealing with computing errors, I've found the best course of action is:

Update all your drivers correctly. This means remove them, clean them, reboot, install them.

Clean your pc. Do not use a vacuum cleaner. Use a small brush. If possible earth yourself, touch an earthed item, metal casing of the pc..

If neither of the above work, then it's looking towards a hardware fault. But before you start panicking.. backup your pc. Reinstall your o/s, patch it, install game (from backup or download) Install drivers. Video, Sound, Java etc.

Update Bios at this point as well. Best to update bios after a clean install, the last thing you want is something to go wrong. If you're getting bluescreens just using your o/s programs, DO NOT flash bios. Find the problem and fix it.

If you're still having problems. It's likely the memory sticks or in worst case, the memory banks themselves, which are on the motherboard (what the sticks plug into)

If these check out, look to your video card, swap it out with one that works (if you have one) or take it to a shop and have them test it.

It is unlikely, that it's the main chip. Or the motherboard. If it's neither the memory or the card, it could still be a hardware failure.. best get the board checked at a shop.

• urtiseth
    urtiseth
    bios is up to date
    fresh install window 7
    up to date drivers installed
    memtest shows no issues
    all stress tests and games work except TESO.
    I find it hard to believe it is not related to the game.
  • perpls
    perpls
    Thanks for all the tips! I'll probably switch out my RAM as half of my 16gig turned out bad. They all worked perfectly individually with memtest, though 3-4 together caused a lot of errors. It still baffles me that ESO is the only game out of the ~40 games I've played with this rig that causes this exact crash, and is the only game that has procured BSODs.
    I'll update once I get some new RAM sticks!
  • perpls
    perpls
    Got new RAM sticks, everything works perfect now. I don't know how or why but I can finally play so I'm happy
  • LazerusKI
    LazerusKI
    ✭✭✭
    lucky for you.
    the last time i had "artifacts" my G-Card died a few days later
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turhapuro wrote: »

SWTOR uses the Hero Engine and not the Unreal Engine.

Edited by Loxy37 on April 15, 2014 2:16PM
  • Mange
    Mange
    ✭✭
    I have been getting blue screens after ESO crashes the last couple of days now, no doubt in my mind this is being caused by ESO as it won't ever happen without ESO having crashed first. At that point my computer is vulnerable to a random BSOD with the following errors.
    On Fri 4/25/2014 6:47:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042414-40560-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFF8A00B19E600, 0xFFFFF8A00B19E630, 0x503010F)
    Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 4/25/2014 6:47:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x8AFBE)
    Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFF8A00B19E600, 0xFFFFF8A00B19E630, 0x503010F)
    Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
    description: NT File System Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 4/24/2014 11:01:38 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042414-15553-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41790, 0xFFFFFA8009C974D0, 0xFFFF, 0x0)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I've tested my memory, run a disk check, etc etc. I'm done trying to fool myself into believing my computer just up and error'd all on its own. The SSD is barely half a year old and I've been careful with the amount of things I install on it, my RAM is fine. It NEVER happens without ESO crashing first. First I uninstalled ESO, which was labeled under my control panel as ESO beta since they told us it was fine to upgrade the beta to the full version. Oddly enough uninstalling from the control panel did nothing but remove the shortcut and possibly the patcher file, every bit of the client was still on my computer and I could run eso.exe and get right into the game around the patcher. I've deleted the entire folder and will start a fresh install over night and see if that helps, as well as making sure my GTX 550 TI has ESO set to "Maximum Performance" under the 3d settings.

I've noticed that every person that gets the error so far seems to be using NVIDIA drivers and that may be where the problem lay. Despite what people have been told throughout this topic I would say look to Zenimax's software before you go removing and attempting to fix hardware pieces that aren't broken.
    Edited by Mange on April 25, 2014 7:55AM
  • GanjaDemon
    BSOD's are signs of an underlying problem, while it might only crash while using ESO that's because ESO might use things in a different way to another game or program or it might make your components run faster.
    Also BSOD's tell you where the problem happened and while this is not always the root cause it can normally give you a hint as to where to look.

I would start to look at your SSD as the cause of these problems, only being 6 months old is no reason it could not break and a quick google of your BSOD errors show me lots of people who have this problem.
    It would also explain why only 1 program causes the problem as it could well be a small part of the drive that is corrupt and it just happens that is where ESO is.

• Mange
    Mange
    ✭✭
    And it could also be ESO was the program to corrupt my hard drive in the first place since it repeatedly crashes and forces me to repair, essentially wearing down my SSD much quicker than anything else would have. That means the underlying problem is ESO's client not my almost new SSD and I have a feeling getting a new one and reinstalling it will probably lead to the same issue. Once again I've been very careful with installing/uninstalling on my SSD and keep absolutely no files that aren't executable programs on it.

Just for the record I am aware that either my OS or my SSD has been damaged, I've been trying to repair windows without partitioning, but I need to understand if anyone else has noticed that no errors occured until ESO. I've looked around as well and having the exact same circumstances as all these others all points me towards Zenimax.
  • Knottypine
    Knottypine
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried removing your ram and video card(s) and re-seating them? Maybe cleaning the contacts? Sometimes something that simple fixes issues like this.
  • Mange
    Mange
    ✭✭
    Lol no, I used tweaking.com Windows repair after completely uninstalling /deleting ESO. sfc /scannow still shows errors but it doesn't tell me to reboot to attempt a fix anymore which is a good thing, I reinstalled and it has been a day of playing ESO on and off and no crashes or signs of windows errors such as my one of my CPUs staying at 25% while I'm not doing anything. Set my ESO.exe 3d settings to Maximum Performance with the NVIDIA Control panel as well.