The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Auction house is a must!

• AinGeal
    AinGeal
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna throw one of your lines right back at you.

Maybe this game is not for you.

Crafting was never the focus of this game. A game that would be better suited to such a hard core craftsman like yourself would be EVE.

I'm a bit curious. If ZoS was to say that they were changing the crafting so that players can only choose one crafting profession to put points into, who you be for or against it.
  • Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    morgueanna wrote: »
    I can only play an hour or two every other day due to school commitments. None of the trading guilds will let me join because I play so irregularly. My guild is too small to have a store.

People like me are left out of trading/selling altogether unless we want to spend the tiny amount of time we do have spamming chat and hoping someone won't just leave our COD in their mail for 30 days.

This game is not casual friendly in the least when it comes to crafting and making money.

So don't TELL them you play sporadically. There not going to kick you out so long as your not on the bottom of their "hasn't logged in since" filter. Jeez. L2internet.
  • lioslinn
    lioslinn
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite happy with the current system
    reality.sys corrupted-reboot universe [y/n] _
  • Draaconis
    Draaconis
    ✭✭
    Damn it. How else are gold farmers supposed to screw up the games money system? Give them an auction house. Oh wait...
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, even after 40 pages of watching everyone rebuttal and trolling the hell outta everyone else, I'm still convinced an AH will further damage the in-game economy
    "AinGeal wrote: »
    Crafting was never the focus of this game.

/facepalm
    Edited by Gwarok on June 13, 2014 8:57PM
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• AinGeal
    AinGeal
    ✭✭✭
    Gwarok wrote: »
    LOL, even after 40 pages of watching everyone rebuttal and trolling the hell outta everyone else, I'm still convinced an AH will further damage the in-game economy
    "AinGeal wrote: »
    Crafting was never the focus of this game.

/facepalm

Facepalm yourself if you thought that it was. TES games has always been about player choice and it has been the philosophy for ESO. They set you up for the main story then plop you out into the open world. You can follow the story or you can simply pick a direction and walk. If I remember correctly, item crafting was introduced into the TES series with Skryim. Prior to this, it was enchanting and spell crafting. I only go as far back as Morrowind so I would have to look up if the earlier titles allowed item crafting.

• Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AinGeal wrote: »
    I'm gonna throw one of your lines right back at you.

Maybe this game is not for you.

Crafting was never the focus of this game. A game that would be better suited to such a hard core craftsman like yourself would be EVE.

I'm a bit curious. If ZoS was to say that they were changing the crafting so that players can only choose one crafting profession to put points into, who you be for or against it.

Crafting doesn't have to be a focus for me, just integral. I enjoy other aspects of the game as well, I just divide up my time. Some days I am just crafting and trading, others I am doing dungeons or PvP.

And for your curious scenario, I would be all for an Auction House, regardless if we could just choose one craft, if the items we made weren't the same across the board. For instance, the stats on my Steel Boots of Majika could be better than the other guys version. But resources themselves would need to carry stats, and probably allow critical successes during the crafting stages...that sort of thing. But I see your point, and to answer Yes I would be MUCH more comfortable with an Auction House if ZOS limited everyone to only one crafting profession, but they'd have to cut back on the resource availability. Less crafters in a particular profession + buttload of resources on the AH isn't really a good thing either.

Of course I would be 100% for an Auction House under current conditions if armor repairing and use came with penalty...such as armor breaking aka diminishing returns on repairs. But within this community, that would go over like a fart in a church.
    Edited by Makkir on June 14, 2014 12:02AM
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Facepalm yourself if you thought that it was. TES games has always been about player choice and it has been the philosophy for ESO
    . They set you up for the main story then plop you out into the open world. You can follow the story or you can simply pick a direction and walk. If I remember correctly, item crafting was introduced into the TES series with Skryim. Prior to this, it was enchanting and spell crafting. I only go as far back as Morrowind so I would have to look up if the earlier titles allowed item crafting.

Bro, TES games maybe. But it's been stated several times even before Alpha that ESO would be about crafters just as the other "classes," which is why the best gear comes from crafters...

Edited by Makkir on June 14, 2014 12:03AM
  • AinGeal
    AinGeal
    ✭✭✭
    Makkir wrote: »

Facepalm yourself if you thought that it was. TES games has always been about player choice and it has been the philosophy for ESO
    . They set you up for the main story then plop you out into the open world. You can follow the story or you can simply pick a direction and walk. If I remember correctly, item crafting was introduced into the TES series with Skryim. Prior to this, it was enchanting and spell crafting. I only go as far back as Morrowind so I would have to look up if the earlier titles allowed item crafting.

Bro, TES games maybe. But it's been stated several times even before Alpha that ESO would be about crafters just as the other "classes," which is why the best gear comes from crafters...

It has been stated several times that they intended to make crafting useful. They did this by making crafted gear the best gear in the game. That's as far as that goes. If I'm wrong then prove it by linking to an official statement. Since this is something I can do right now regarding the games philosophy being about player choice.

One of the biggest issues I heard about the AH from craftsman is that they make less profit. However the biggest reason this is true for most other games has nothing to do with the AH.

In most other games, crafted gear has identical stats as dropped gear of the same level. In those other games, not all crafting mats can be gathered. Some key mats are often sold by NPCs to the crafting player. So in an hour of play, both the person who got the item as a drop and the person who crafted it can sell that item for 100g but the craftsman bought a key ingredient for 10g. So for the same hour the craftsman made 90g vs the 100g made by the person who got the item as a drop.

It has nothing to do with an AH. It's also something that doesn't exist in ESO. Crafted gear has better stats so it can be sold for 110g instead of 100g and on top of that, there are no items that have to be bought from a vendor.

If you're looking for exclusivity (something you and only you can do) then too bad. However, something that adds variety is fine.
    Edited by AinGeal on June 14, 2014 2:23AM
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At this point, ESO is either doing well, and ZOS will not change a thing.

Or ESO is failing horribly and ZOS knows this game needs big changes like a better bank system, guild bank rules and a real AH.

That is the bottom line.
  • Phaade
    Phaade
    Greetings,

From a solo PvP-focused player perspective (who wants to stay solo), and not worry about Guild hunting and/or Guild priorities and politics, I would really dig an AH. I love TES games, and until now, grouping with a bunch of strangers (500 people - come on...strangers) to be the best you can be never entered the equation. Now, if you're not in a Guild you play nerfed...in one form or another (in my case it's limited access to good stuff and living with 'rough' but usable grouping tools for PvE runs). That said, the crafting possibilities are excellent in support of solo play - nicely done ZoS.

Whether or not an AH would trash the economy - meh - it didn't do so in LOTRO or SWTOR, but that's the extent of my MMO experience (plus some other not worth mentioning games). In those games, the AH made it (more) possible to be a well equipped solo or small guild player, and minimized the need to grind. Grinding is not PvE - it's work...

my two cents anyway...

Good Hunting,

Phaade
    VR12/PvP-R16 NightBlade
    AD - Wabba
  • AinGeal
    AinGeal
    ✭✭✭
    Phaade wrote: »
    Greetings,

From a solo PvP-focused player perspective (who wants to stay solo), and not worry about Guild hunting and/or Guild priorities and politics, I would really dig an AH. I love TES games, and until now, grouping with a bunch of strangers (500 people - come on...strangers) to be the best you can be never entered the equation. Now, if you're not in a Guild you play nerfed...in one form or another (in my case it's limited access to good stuff and living with 'rough' but usable grouping tools for PvE runs). That said, the crafting possibilities are excellent in support of solo play - nicely done ZoS.

Whether or not an AH would trash the economy - meh - it didn't do so in LOTRO or SWTOR, but that's the extent of my MMO experience (plus some other not worth mentioning games). In those games, the AH made it (more) possible to be a well equipped solo or small guild player, and minimized the need to grind. Grinding is not PvE - it's work...

my two cents anyway...

Good Hunting,

Phaade

It didn't do so in GW2, WoW, and EVE has the best market/economy I've seen in a game.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It didn't do so in GW2, WoW, and EVE has the best market/economy I've seen in a game.

Yes, it did. AHs did fine in WoW and GW2.
  • AinGeal
    AinGeal
    ✭✭✭
    Blackwidow wrote: »

Yeah, bad wording on my part. It was an extension to
    Whether or not an AH would trash the economy - meh - it didn't do so in LOTRO or SWTOR,

Just as it didn't do so (didn't trash the economy) in LOTRO or SWTOR, it also didn't do so in GW2, WoW and EVE.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah, bad wording on my part. It was an extension to
    Whether or not an AH would trash the economy - meh - it didn't do so in LOTRO or SWTOR,

Just as it didn't do so (didn't trash the economy) in LOTRO or SWTOR, it also didn't do so in GW2, WoW and EVE.

Got it. Cool beans. :)
  • Thunderchief
    Thunderchief
    ✭✭✭
    I keep seeing the title of this discussion and I have to disagree. It is a not a "must". Trade has been getting along in this game just fine for 2 months now. It's more of a "could be nice, but might break the economy, so let's not risk it"

I think one factor people need to realise is that most of the items in this game are generic and there are few hot items that everyone wants. Apart from provisioning there are no rare recipes and everyone can craft anything as long as they have invested the skill points and researched the traits. This means that if there is an auction house there will be 1 million Inferno stave's for sale, 1 million fire resist glyphs for sale etc. Everyone will be trying to outdo each other on price and so items will sell for close to cost price.

If you do want something specific that breaks the mold you still won't find it even on a massive auction house and you will have to go to zone chat asking for a crafter to make it for you.

Having multiple guild markets simulates the old days were there were no standard global prices. You go to one town and buy something cheap. You take it to another town and it sells for more. It makes the market larger not smaller and it makes more opportunities available.

ESO might have failed at many things but I applaud them for this guild store trading concept. Just because they are not doing things the way every other game does does not mean that this concept is not valid.
    Edited by Thunderchief on June 14, 2014 3:19AM
  • AinGeal
    AinGeal
    ✭✭✭
    I keep seeing the title of this discussion and I have to disagree. It is a not a "must". Trade has been getting along in this game just fine for 2 months now. It's more of a "could be nice, but might break the economy, so let's not risk it"

I got as far as here and the post simply lost all credibility. It's late, and I really can't bring myself to explain yet again how a competitive market is beneficial to the economy and well being of the player base as a whole.

Once again, faults are pointed out that have nothing to do with an AH yet the AH takes the blame.
  • c1r3gamerb16_ESO

I don't think having an AH would break the economy because at the end of the day every player can, if they so wished, craft everything because ESO hasn't restricted our choice of crafting professions.

What an AH would do, however, is allow the casual players and those who just don't feel comfortable in a guild full of strangers, the opportunity to buy/sell their items/mats so they too can enjoy the game.
    I think one factor people need to realise is that most of the items in this game are generic and there are few hot items that everyone wants. Apart from provisioning there are no rare recipes and everyone can craft anything as long as they have invested the skill points and researched the traits. This means that if there is an auction house there will be 1 million Inferno stave's for sale, 1 million fire resist glyphs for sale etc. Everyone will be trying to outdo each other on price and so items will sell for close to cost price.

I agree that your scenario is not something we want to see in any game, but as the current ESO trading house guilds are in effect mini AH's are you sure this isn't going to happen especially as players can be in 5 guilds so they can search for the lowest price?
    Having multiple guild markets simulates the old days were there were no standard global prices. You go to one town and buy something cheap. You take it to another town and it sells for more. It makes the market larger not smaller and it makes more opportunities available.

Which is why I think an AH in each town would be great as it would allow anyone to buy/sell.

Edited by c1r3gamerb16_ESO on June 14, 2014 2:10PM
  • Adryssa_Joneley
    Adryssa_Joneley
    ✭✭✭
    YES, please add an AUCTION house and don't forget to add a SEARCH feature.
  • Pupsy
    Pupsy
    ✭✭✭
    Before posting these, begging for one, read what zenimax has already said.

-Tabards and insignias will be in a future update to allow you to represent your guild.
    -Guild stores will be our ingame market, no plans for a global auction house
    -Plans for more guild ranks
    -10% “house cut” when using guild stores to sell is a gold sink we designed.
    -Working on fixing guild bank to make items stack properly and more easily searchable
    -Ability to blacklist player accounts from a guild is something we are discussing
    -Maximum guild size is 500, you can be a member of up to 5 guilds.

Read the whole thing here: http://dulfy.net/2014/03/20/eso-reddit-ama-summmary/
    Hi there! My name is Vaht or as most people call me, pupsy. I am a somewhat casual PvE and casual small group pvp player. Dude, this game is totes fun and I love playing with friends while in a discord call.

I only have a dragon knight left to level and then i'll have one of each class at CP rank.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keyword: Global

Kiosks probably are just the last try to cling to their vision and when they fail, we'll see the introduction of regional AHs.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pupsy wrote: »
    Before posting these, begging for one, read what zenimax has already said.

-Tabards and insignias will be in a future update to allow you to represent your guild.
    -Guild stores will be our ingame market, no plans for a global auction house
    -Plans for more guild ranks
    -10% “house cut” when using guild stores to sell is a gold sink we designed.
    -Working on fixing guild bank to make items stack properly and more easily searchable
    -Ability to blacklist player accounts from a guild is something we are discussing
    -Maximum guild size is 500, you can be a member of up to 5 guilds.

Read the whole thing here: http://dulfy.net/2014/03/20/eso-reddit-ama-summmary/

To be fair, at one point they had no plans for true first person view.

At one point they had no plans for dueling.

ZOS takes a while, but they slowly learn players want good systems in their MMOs.

Now, I'm not saying an AH is exactly the way to go, but i will say the GAHs (guild auction houses) are not working, IMHO.
  • Scarletblaze
    Scarletblaze
    ✭✭✭
    Hi.

Today I searched for 5h for a "Bastion of the Dragon" in VR12. I offered up to 30k at some time, still, I didn't find anybody, probably not because such a person doesn't exist wanting to sell one, but simply because he's busy with other things / in a different zone / whatever.

Instead of having fears, about that the Mega-server-structure would crash the economy, think what you're doing to us players. We want to play your game and have fun, but you're preventing us from doing so, because seriously, who goes and plays when 1 piece of critical equipment is missing?

Hoping that you fix this soon.

@Seraiel (EU)

Unfortunately for you, most players are just now hitting the veteran zones. It will be a little while before you see tons of vr12 items for sale.

As for auction house, this game would become another 'WoW' clone economy wise. =( At least with the current system, it encourages players to actually interact with each other (you can be in 5 guilds at once) and makes it easier to 'barter' with the seller instead of silent bidding/selling.

This issue was already brought up in another thread.......
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of these threads needs to close. I'm having the same conversation in both threads. :D
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of these threads needs to close. I'm having the same conversation in both threads. :D

Yes but each thread does have some good comments and a lot a varied views !

;)
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be fair, at one point they had no plans for true first person view.

At one point they had no plans for dueling.

ZOS takes a while, but they slowly learn players want good systems in their MMOs.

Now, I'm not saying an AH is exactly the way to go, but i will say the GAHs (guild auction houses) are not working, IMHO.

I hope their plan works, but yea, they have shown the (sometimes annoying) ability to change when they need to. I'm going to give their system a month or two after its fully implemented before I personally start asking for something like an AH. As of now, we don't even have the access to guild stores in cyrodill that was supposed to be one of the biggest pieces of their economic strategy, as well as motivation for objectives in AvA.
    It will be interesting to see how people play the market when the market is divided between different places. But that's only going to happen after they get things going.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Phantax wrote: »

;)

Yes, they do both have me, but that is not the point. :D
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi.

Today I searched for 5h for a "Bastion of the Dragon" in VR12. I offered up to 30k at some time, still, I didn't find anybody, probably not because such a person doesn't exist wanting to sell one, but simply because he's busy with other things / in a different zone / whatever.

Instead of having fears, about that the Mega-server-structure would crash the economy, think what you're doing to us players. We want to play your game and have fun, but you're preventing us from doing so, because seriously, who goes and plays when 1 piece of critical equipment is missing?

Hoping that you fix this soon.

@Seraiel (EU)

Unfortunately for you, most players are just now hitting the veteran zones. It will be a little while before you see tons of vr12 items for sale.

As for auction house, this game would become another 'WoW' clone economy wise. =( At least with the current system, it encourages players to actually interact with each other (you can be in 5 guilds at once) and makes it easier to 'barter' with the seller instead of silent bidding/selling.

This issue was already brought up in another thread.......

Actually same old arguments from beta. If this was the beta forum, the mod would be trying to stitch the threads into one giant forum thread. ;)

An AH for the eso megaserver would be worse than the AH in WoW. WoW is split up over more than 150 realms and each realm has its own AH. So at most, an AH in WoW serves fewer than 50k characters on the largest realms. The AH in eso would be more like the AH in D3. D3's AH had to service millions of characters. A global AH in eso wouldn't have to service that many because there aren't as many players in eso as were in D3 (D3 sold 6 million copies by launch).

Seriously the devs would be nuts to sink resources into a global AH unless the eso player population fell to really low levels.
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

;)

People are just ressurecting old threads in order to make it look like the forum is flooded with demands for an auction house. It's a pretty cheesy tactic.

• Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alphashado wrote: »

;)

People are just ressurecting old threads in order to make it look like the forum is flooded with demands for an auction house. It's a pretty cheesy tactic.

Good point. I should probably just make a new thread on auction houses. I'm sure nobody would complain about that.
This discussion has been closed.