Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Doshia.......the most frustrating boss ever!!

• Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »
    Yeah Gutsripper is not challenging at all... like he is boring now... Just a normal mob with a few more hit points.

I put up a thread to that effect last night, and it only got one reply saying he shouldn't be changed back.
    Well, I guess that sends a message to ZOS. :(

It seems those of us who like a challenge while leveling are either a tiny minority or a silent majority; either way, the people who don't want to play the game so much as watch a movie are the squeaky wheels that get the grease.

• Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    First make sure that you have your gear at correct levels. Underleveled gear will really hurt you in this. .

How do you upgrade your gear though? Ive tried crafting and with all the drops being green I cant destruct the mats required to upgrade from green to blue! Or are you saying the answer is to buy gear from higher level players?

Edited by Svann on April 5, 2014 2:53PM
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Najoxx wrote: »
    Myrdreth wrote: »
    Inversus wrote: »
    If you're having real difficulty, leave and then come back when you have gained a few levels.

That's exactly what I will do. I don't have enough skill. I am not patient enough to get better. I KNOW that. I know my own weakness. So I just give up for the moment, will level up a little bit and try again later.

I tried to kill Doshia 3 times before I gave up. The first time I just ignored the orbs because I didn't fully register their existence(I am good at ignoring/overlooking obvious stuff like that*lol*). The other 2 times I tried to kill all the orbs but my character got stuck on some objects when I tried to get near them :| That's the only thing that really annoyed me. That my character always gets stuck and can't move freely.

I like the fact that they added difficult bosses or boss fights where you actually need to think about your tactic. But please - let me move freely...give me a bit more space. I hate narrow places. Especially when they are full of objects who are in the way.

i am glad to see that i am not the only one who had difficulty with her :smile:

Plenty of people have/had difficulties with her. Generally, I tend to do two things before i even consider taking on Doshia:
    1). Get Silver Bolts by grinding fighters guild points with undead/daedra (if you're Ebonheart Pact, best place to that is Bleakrock before you clear Skyshroud Barrow. If you're Daggerfall Covenant, farm the Dremora miniboss of the Baelborne Rock questline).
    2) Overlevel the quest slightly. At level it's doable, at level 12 it should be rather easy.

Also bear in mind that the dungeon layout is different between factions. The Pact version is a rather tight space to fight in and difficult without AoE.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Ysne58
      Ysne58
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      You keep telling people that this fight will get easier one or two levels. Problem is that many of us have to come back 10 or more levels higher to win. That advice doesn't work with a level 43 harvester when there isn't 10 levels above that.
    • Hawke
      Hawke
      ✭✭✭✭
      First make sure that you have your gear at correct levels. Underleveled gear will really hurt you in this. .

How do you upgrade your gear though? Ive tried crafting and with all the drops being green I cant destruct the mats required to upgrade from green to blue! Or are you saying the answer is to buy gear from higher level players?

Do not bother making your gear green or blue... waste of materials. Just make sure that everything is about your level, and that you are using your abilities and eating food.

For the low levels, that is all you need.
    • Nitrius
      Nitrius
      ✭✭
      My encounter was a bit on the weird side, i had read about this boss before my encounter, but didn't think about before halfway into the fight, where i suddenly see some orbs appearing, and then it hit me, i have to hit those or this goes the wrong way so that's what i did. And in the end she died, first try.

This was with a Dragonknight, didn't find it hard, but i might just have been lucky.
    • Nomos
      Nomos
      ✭✭
      Run backwards, face Doshia and make some damage while kiting her. Worked for me (templar with heal spec). I ignored the orbs.
      Edited by Nomos on April 5, 2014 3:57PM
    • Melian
      Melian
      ✭✭✭✭
      Ok, she wasn't so bad in AD and DC, but I just fought Doshia on an Ebonheart Pact character for the first time, and I begin to see why people have trouble with her.
      For EP, she's in a tiny section of the room and the feasts practically spawn on top of her. I was only able to kill her in the end by kiting her out of there into a more open area.
      Edited by Melian on April 5, 2014 4:20PM
    • Thete
      Thete
      ✭✭✭
      Came across Doshia today at level 12, was only one round of orbs and I only killed 3 of them; she still died fairly easily. I'd suggest if people are coming to her at lower levels, they just leave it a bit and come back. Let your higher level and better gear nerf the fight.
    • Kaluu
      Kaluu
      Really? She's easy peasy. I've beaten her multiple times with multiple different classes.

Try it on Ebonheart, with a resto staff. There is no room, and the orbs spawn in her butthole. They just heal her FAR too much to be reasonable. I can get her down to about 30 or 40%, then get unlucky once, and have to start over. It's a miserably designed instance.

• Korah_Eaglecry
      Korah_Eaglecry
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Taaltos wrote: »
      UI is fine, you CAN Tab Target mobs, just so you know. Kite her away from where you start the fight, that helps, know WHEN the orbs are gonna spawn, as they do so at a very regular interval. Whack/Zap her, listen for the getting ready to spawn sound, then take them out one by one, then get back onto her to whack/zap.

Not a hard fight, just need to be active in your combat.

This isn't WoW/Rift/EQ2 where you can just target boss and ignore anything else going on. ACTIVE COMBAT means just that.

This of course is true. But it wouldnt hurt for the orbs to spawn at a slower interval or they spawn at specific marks in her health. Currently the way its built..If you let just 1 of them through youll watch her return to full health. Its quite frustrating. I enjoy a challenge but as someone thats going melee with only a aoe hold ability. Im gimped in this fight because of it. Solo content should be challenging but not over the top like this can be. New comers arent going to think to pull her some distance from her original area. Its simply going to chase them away from any future Challenges.
      Penniless Sellsword Company
      Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
      Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
      Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
      Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
      What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
    • Najoxx
      Najoxx
      Soul Shriven
      Kaluu wrote: »
      Really? She's easy peasy. I've beaten her multiple times with multiple different classes.

Try it on Ebonheart, with a resto staff. There is no room, and the orbs spawn in her butthole. They just heal her FAR too much to be reasonable. I can get her down to about 30 or 40%, then get unlucky once, and have to start over. It's a miserably designed instance.

this is what i was trying to say. although there are many good suggestions on here which can help, it still doesn't change the fact that it is badly designed and yes i am an EP faction
    • joanjett
      joanjett
      ✭✭✭
      Lol i got really pissed when the first time i did it back in beta.
      But then i didn't know about the orbs...this time around i killed her
      on the first try so just take these orbs from her and its easy.

And don't go in there under level like i did in beta.
      When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
    • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO

Do not bother making your gear green or blue... waste of materials. Just make sure that everything is about your level, and that you are using your abilities and eating food.

For the low levels, that is all you need.

This is it exactly.
    • speedaemonc4
      When I did it on my templar I died a few times before figuring out that the orbs heal her, I think it glitched on mine because it was only taking one orb to heal her to full health. It was a very long fight, easily over 20 minutes but I have to say that I enjoyed every bit of it. Got faster at using different skills, blocking attacks and watching for them, felt like I really won a real challenge for a change. I remember fighting Gutsripper and I didn't realise till now that he was actually a boss, I rolled over him like any normal clanfear with a few extra hp.
    • kitchenguy65_ESO
      kitchenguy65_ESO
      ✭✭✭
      I still can't understand why so many are having this much trouble with her. This fight was very easy, even without AOE or being over leveled. Keep her in the center of the room since the orbs spawn by the walls. This will give you the most time to take them out. Don't worry about missing one or two here and there. It will make the fight a little longer but as long as you are killing a few orbs each time your HP shouldn't be a problem. Other than that, try to block/dodge her stun and you'll be fine. I'm a little bummed they nerfed her so much since beta. It was a challenging boss with mechanics that required a little thought and active gameplay. Now it's way too easy. I like challenges, not facerolls. Anyway, Good luck OP. Once you find your stride with this boss I'm sure you'll find her easy as well.
    • Melian
      Melian
      ✭✭✭✭
      I still can't understand why so many are having this much trouble with her. This fight was very easy, even without AOE or being over leveled. Keep her in the center of the room since the orbs spawn by the walls. This will give you the most time to take them out. Don't worry about missing one or two here and there. It will make the fight a little longer but as long as you are killing a few orbs each time your HP shouldn't be a problem. Other than that, try to block/dodge her stun and you'll be fine. I'm a little bummed they nerfed her so much since beta. It was a challenging boss with mechanics that required a little thought and active gameplay. Now it's way too easy. I like challenges, not facerolls. Anyway, Good luck OP. Once you find your stride with this boss I'm sure you'll find her easy as well.

Like I said earlier, I think a big part of the problem is the design of the Ebonheart dungeon. People try to fight her in the tiny area where she spawns, which allows the feasts to spawn too close. If you kite her into the next, larger area, it becomes comparable to the other factions' versions.
    • Charwyn
      Charwyn
      ✭✭
      Yeah Gutsripper is not challenging at all... like he is boring now... Just a normal mob with a few more hit points.
      Is that a mob for one of the first quests for the Mages' Guild?

OFFTOPIC: (sorry)

Use hirelings. They bring a nice ammount of those upgrade items.
      Edited by Charwyn on April 7, 2014 12:54AM
    • redwoodtreesprite
      redwoodtreesprite
      ✭✭✭
      LOL, same responses as usual. Usually from those used to these sorts of bosses. Well, after reading about this and other specific fights, these are all guild ones right?, I am not even going to bother doing mage, fighter or other guild quests until I am waaaay over leveled for them. I do not enjoy these sorts of forced solo combats, and I suspect I am not the only one.

And don't worry, I do not "whine" for nerfs, I just don't do these sorts of quests. In any MMO. At least until they do become less of a major pain to do...
    • Sarenia
      Sarenia
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      LOL, same responses as usual. Usually from those used to these sorts of bosses. Well, after reading about this and other specific fights, these are all guild ones right?, I am not even going to bother doing mage, fighter or other guild quests until I am waaaay over leveled for them. I do not enjoy these sorts of forced solo combats, and I suspect I am not the only one.

And don't worry, I do not "whine" for nerfs, I just don't do these sorts of quests. In any MMO. At least until they do become less of a major pain to do...

Generalization is the lazy (wo)man's way to disregard views that are inconvenient to them.

I'm not some hyper-reflexed 15 year old gamer. I'm generally terrible at hand-eye coordination games and those involving heavy tactics.

And yet, It only took a couple deaths to learn her weakness though, which I've posted in several of these threads, as have many others.

If you read them, analyze them, and use the advice you're given, you'll profit. Handwaiving the advice of others' away because it's easier is just going to leave you right where you put yourself -- far behind the pack.
      Edited by Sarenia on April 7, 2014 1:43AM
      [beta_group_85b_9]
    • Greydog
      Greydog
      ✭✭✭✭
      Greydog wrote: »
      Taaltos wrote: »
      In other threads people have sworn by the Silver Bolts.

I know, that's why I picked it up before I went in. It's most probably the orbs I'm missing negating any damage the bolts are doing. I just need to get better.

Hate the repair bills tho ;)

That was with a Sword & Board Sorc.

I took the sword and board skills out and replaced them with my familiar and another insta spell. I let the imp keep her busy when I needed to take out the orbs and finished in in less than 5 minutes.

So there you go. Change up your tactics and try again ;)

"I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
      Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
      Message me here or in game for an invite
    • redwoodtreesprite
      redwoodtreesprite
      ✭✭✭
      Sarenia wrote: »

Generalization is the lazy (wo)man's way to disregard views that are inconvenient to them.

I'm not some hyper-reflexed 15 year old gamer. I'm generally terrible at hand-eye coordination games and those involving heavy tactics.

And yet, It only took a couple deaths to learn her weakness though, which I've posted in several of these threads, as have many others.

If you read them, analyze them, and use the advice you're given, you'll profit. Handwaiving the advice of others' away because it's easier is just going to leave you right where you put yourself -- far behind the pack.

Know what? I don't care about the "pack". I play MMOs to enjoy myself. And care nothing for what others think of my casual style of play. There is too much arrogance in posts that tell players to just quit the game if they can't handle instances like this one. I've been around too long to care what such players think, but it might discourage new players...
    • Sarenia
      Sarenia
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Sarenia wrote: »

Know what? I don't care about the "pack". I play MMOs to enjoy myself. And care nothing for what others think of my casual style of play. There is too much arrogance in posts that tell players to just quit the game if they can't handle instances like this one. I've been around too long to care what such players think, but it might discourage new players...

I never told you to quit. I'm a casual player, too. I'm only level 10, and I had 5 days of early access.

You seem to be projecting frustrations on me that bear no relevance to what I said.

My message was that if you don't heed the advice of others, you have no right to complain. That's my final say on the matter -- direct your angst elsewhere.
      Edited by Sarenia on April 7, 2014 2:37AM
      [beta_group_85b_9]
    • alienbongs
      alienbongs
      Soul Shriven
      I don't understand why people think that because something is challenging it needs to be nerfed into supreme easy mode. Part of what makes games fun (for most people) is the challenge of battles like this.

I beat Doshia at level 9 as a sorcerer. It was extremely difficult and took me more than 3 tries. But, when you finally beat her, you will feel really good about it. Just keep trying and don't give up! It's been said before, but my advice is to drag her as far away from the orbs as possible after she uses the "soul suck" and creates them. The targeting system with staffs is wonky - so if I can do it, anyone can.
    • kijima
      kijima
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I had read a few times here that Doshia is hard/impossible/orbs this orbs that...etc

So, I left that quest for a while, got sidetracked and got to her much later than I anticipated as a Level 15 Nightblade with bow. B)

I have to say, she was pretty easy at that level. A few well executed hits and she was toast.

I think the one that surprised me was snapjaw, I didn't see his name pop up at first and thought, Oh, just another clanfear.

Yeah, made that mistake only once.
      Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
      Kijima - AD DK Derps
      Annure - AD NB Derps
      Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• wayfarerb14_ESO
      wayfarerb14_ESO
      ✭✭✭
      I beat her once in the beta (two handed weapon nightblade) and once with my current character (dual wielding nightblade) and it was a tough but very satisfying fight. Putting skill points into abilities that really pack a punch help, especially the spin move that you can do with dual wielding when siphoning misses an orb.

I did notice that Gutsripper wasn't as challenging. I didn't feel as accomplished beating him as I did beating Doshia.
    • Vraok
      Vraok
      I killed Doshia with a lvl 9 DK without her recieving a single orb since my burst was too high. Gutsripper was rather dissapointing aswell - prefered the beta one. There was only a single boss that I couldn't solo in Auridon (so I don't know about other factions) - that *** piece of *** nestmother. That fight doesn't even involve skill if the thing just whitehits you to death. I'd take the final boss of Grotto/Spindleclutch or the 3. Boss of Banished Cells any day over that thing.
    • ChuiDuma
      ChuiDuma
      ✭✭✭
      Doshia can be a bit frustrating. AoE and DoT spells/abilities work well on harvesters. Sorry to tell those of you that are frustrated with Doshia that harvesters will not go away, and they only get more difficult at higher levels, so it's going to take a bit of skill and practice. She was a breeze for me on live after defeating the level 49s. To be honest, harvesters are probably my least favorite boss-types in the game.

I switch to bow for harvesters utilizing a build put together partially on advice from another tester, modified to fit my class: poison arrow, the arrow lobbing aoe morphed to fire (when I can get it), entropy from the mage's guild tree and coagulating blood from DK, with inhale in DK at higher levels. Listen for the "orb sound," a kind of pop, generally after she does her soul sucking thing, and get ready to use your aoe. You can also pick off the 2 closest orbs (usually the ones in the back of the harvester) then do the aoe.

I should note that I normally play 1h and shield.

Basically your build should have aoe, dot, and heals for harvesters, and make sure you have potions. I generally equip stamina potions since i am heavy on the bow skills in harvester fights, but you might find it better to use health potions.

Keep trying to see what works best for you, and good luck.
      * Mara's Tester * >:) * The Psijic Order *
      * Werewolf *
    • Knootewoot
      Knootewoot
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Killed Doshia at lvl 10. Did not use AoE, but just plain arrows. Didn't know what to do at first until i shot an orb accidently. Kept Doshia in the middle of the room. when she grabbed my soul or something the orbs appeared. doshia followed me, so i walk to first Orbs and shoot it point blank range. Then the other Orbs aswell. Had to do it fast though.

Since i shot them point blank range i image i could do same with sword. Doshia cried.
      ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
      "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
    • Sarenia
      Sarenia
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I beat her once in the beta (two handed weapon nightblade) and once with my current character (dual wielding nightblade) and it was a tough but very satisfying fight. Putting skill points into abilities that really pack a punch help, especially the spin move that you can do with dual wielding when siphoning misses an orb.

I did notice that Gutsripper wasn't as challenging. I didn't feel as accomplished beating him as I did beating Doshia.

Gutstripper is surrounded by tactically advantageous terrain for a ranged DPSer. You can jump on tables, across gaps onto rock faces, etc. Between that and CC spells to knock it down and stuff, he never stands a chance.

I wonder if it's different from a melee perspective. Every boss seems to have some classes that handle it better than others.

But im finding on ESO... it's all about terrain advantage. If you've got some lava and your enemy is melee, shoot at them across the lava. Game Over.

I'm just so happy I have to start a fight off by looking around, analyzing terrain, gauging my enemy's likely strengths, and setting up my skill bar to compensate. So much fun!
      Edited by Sarenia on April 7, 2014 5:00AM
      [beta_group_85b_9]