Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Will eso give world of warcraft a run for its money?

Davidm
Davidm
Will elder scrolls online give world of warcraft a run for its money?
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on a personal level...Yes. As in, I'm playing Elder Scrolls online, and not World of Warcraft.

On an industry level?...

sorry - my precognition has failed me - the dark side has clouded our sight. Try again later...
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • Ziz
    Ziz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now, no. People won't be able to log in on Sunday.

ESO can't even beat Swtor at this point.
    Edited by Ziz on April 4, 2014 11:15PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ziz wrote: »

Because we all base our judgment of games on whether or not we get to play this Sunday.

Also, are you talking about regular maintenance? Because every other MMO on the market would like a word with you.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Ziz
    Ziz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A huge factor in the success of a game is wether or not people CAN EVEN LOG IN!
    Edited by Ziz on April 4, 2014 11:25PM
  • Laerrus
    Laerrus
    ✭✭✭
    Davidm wrote: »

That depends on what happens with the game over the next month. (Most folks remember WoW had a VERY poor launch nearly 10 years ago.)

It will also depend on end game content and development.

As far as TESO pulling customers permanently away from WoW? I don't think there will be very many for the reason that both games are completely different and appeal to different minded people.

• drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭

Why is that? Have I missed something? :/

• Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares.
  • WyeVxndzz
    WyeVxndzz
    ✭✭✭
    I can not answer you.
    Okay actually I can; I've put my WoW account on hold ostensibly until WoD drops, but I am *really* not happy with what I've been reading about the changes to my class. If I become addicted to ESO I don't think I'll be re-upping WoW just for the pre-order mount.
    I've been on ESO every night since early access opened and I'm looking for information on crafting by day.
    Edited by WyeVxndzz on April 5, 2014 12:07AM
    «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥»
    When you're feeling under pressure, do something different. Roll up your sleeves, or eat an orange.
    Be on the look out for things that make you laugh. If you see nothing worth laughing at, pretend you see it, then laugh.
  • BigJulian
    BigJulian
    It has the potential to do so; however, there are too many issues and not enough advertising to push it to that level yet. Still has a long way to go
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, out of myself and three of my RL friends who played WoW, 75% are now playing ESO and half canceled their WoW accounts. The sample size leaves something to be desired, of course.
    Edited by Melian on April 4, 2014 11:59PM
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see ESO getting to GW2's level. WoW's level? Unlikely IMO. WoW will never be beaten unless it falls on its own failings. Players who play WoW will generally stick to it no matter how awesome other MMOs are rumoured to be.
  • Relyk04
    Relyk04
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I think only time will tell. At the moment, I'm hesitant to say yes/no. However, if there was ever a company with the potential it'd be the Elder Scrolls series. Think about the other no name developers that created star wars, lord of the rings, guild wars 2.... However, Final Fantasy had a chance if they hadn't got off on the wrong foot. Surely, I want it to eliminate WoW though.... WoW is like a bad lethal weapon movie that never ends in my opinion.... not that the game itself is bad, but that they are squeezing grapes into raisins then into dust. Also, WoW had really no strong everpresent storyline which I think ES has firmly established... But I like the story lore stuff... Some may not.
  • loco
    loco
    ✭✭
    Not a chance.
  • WyeVxndzz
    WyeVxndzz
    ✭✭✭
    Laerrus wrote: »
    Davidm wrote: »

That depends on what happens with the game over the next month. (Most folks remember WoW had a VERY poor launch nearly 10 years ago.)

It will also depend on end game content and development.

As far as TESO pulling customers permanently away from WoW? I don't think there will be very many for the reason that both games are completely different and appeal to different minded people.

I disagree with that last because I'm a confirmed WoW-head and altholic and addict and yet - here I am. The more I play around in the ESO world the more I like it. And I only have so much time to play, so there will be a winner between the subscriptions.
    «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥»
    When you're feeling under pressure, do something different. Roll up your sleeves, or eat an orange.
    Be on the look out for things that make you laugh. If you see nothing worth laughing at, pretend you see it, then laugh.
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think a good portion of the WoW community is kind of disillusioned and hoping for a better game to come along, but whether this is that game, I can't say.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

SWTOR when it was released still had the beta client, TESO is already past that step.

Have you forgotten how we players had to write our own ini files to be able to actually play that game? SWTOR was not stable and had a horrible code, no HD textures and legacy system, pvp was broken etc.

TESO is a different approach for an MMO, an oldschool approach so to speak, but the client is one of the best I have seen in the past 10 years. It runs perfectly fine, the content is also available besides the thief system and in general it feels like a game that wasn't rushed like all the others before.

@‌ OP
    WOW is a different type of game, its for nerds and people that like to prove themselves worthy by being the first, biggest and greatest ;). The 2 million that play it (minus the bots and multi boxer accounts) wont leave their precious game and its fully understandable. Why leave if you are having fun?

Wow isn't a bad game, but its for a totally different type of player. Your question would make more sense in regards of Ultima and DAOC and yes, I believe players from there might be attracted to TESO.

I certainly hope that ZO wont even try to please wow players with TESO, let wow be wow and focus on something different if you want to actually survive I say. None of the wow clones has survived in the past 10 years, there is a reason for that ;)
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melian wrote: »
    I think a good portion of the WoW community is kind of disillusioned and hoping for a better game to come along, but whether this is that game, I can't say.

I think it's too different for the majority of WoW players, but that's just my opinion based on past experiences with games that don't have all the "features" they are used too. And yes, used to play WoW for years, here to stay (if this doesn't steer from the direction it's going)
    Edited by mutharex on April 5, 2014 12:30AM
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW has 10+ years of design and testing since original Alpha. Of course, a game that just released today is not going to be nearly as polished, in-depth, or big as a game that's been out as long as WoW has.

I am one of the people whom Blizzard upset greatly with their plans for the new expansion and have been thrilled with ESO thus far.

But many WoW players these days are of the 30 minute mindset and their only concern is 'Get to level 90 post-haste and then grind gear.' Blizzard is even giving away free max-level toons to people who pre-order the next expansion pack; they're also letting you buy new level 90 toons once the XP releases using real money through their online store.

As someone who has been playing WoW since 2008, I think that many of the modern WoW players will be disappointed in this game, because it's not a zerg-fest to max level and 100% endgame focused like WoW has become now. WoW looks, and feels, like a 10 year old game, but it's a 10 year old game with tons of polish and effort into it.

ESO is likely too difficult for WoW players, who have gotten used to never dying before the end-game, and who prefer to level entirely via dungeons, skipping questing entirely. I've died more times in ESO in 5 days than I have in 3+ years of levelling alts on WoW. Many of the conveniences WoW players expect (flying, auction house) don't exist here.

Also keep in mind that WoW has a huge addon base with addons to make the UI do pretty much anything you want. I have got 30+ addons on my WoW setup. ESO will some day have that level of customisation as the game grows and addon authors get busy implementing things that ZOS didn't bother to include. (I'm looking at you, nameplates.)

Just my tuppenceworth, never mind the rambling.
    Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE
  • byghostlightrwb17_ESO
    A huge factor in the success of a game is wether or not people CAN EVEN LOG IN!

well not really, given the impossibly bad launch of WoW, look where its login issues got it, amazing how fast people forget somethings
  • byghostlightrwb17_ESO
    ESO is already better than WoW even with ten year head start, just because WoW was popular doesnt mean its good or worth emulating. Just look a McDonalds cheeseburger compared to real food.
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »

SWTOR when it was released still had the beta client, TESO is already past that step.

Have you forgotten how we players had to write our own ini files to be able to actually play that game? SWTOR was not stable and had a horrible code, no HD textures and legacy system, pvp was broken etc.

I had no issues with SW:TOR, playing pre-launch from preorder access, and after launch; the game and client ran smoothly. I got my Smuggler to level 14, then died of boredom on Coruscant. Haven't been back since. But the game, at least for me, ran fine right out of the box, and I did not have issues with bugged quests, crashes, or having to write any files.

ESO is a much buggier launch than SW:TOR was, IMO. On ESO I regularly encounter broken quests, graphics glitches, falling-through-the-world, wall hacking, etc. They are not usually game-breakers but do sort of derail the immersion a bit.

Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE
  • annarr1117nub18_ESO
    When I finally soon purchase TESO from my local GameStop or from my local Best Buy retail store I'll HONESTLY answer this question after I've finally gotten the chance to play the game for an reasonable amount of hours folks!
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    loco wrote: »
    Not a chance.

^

• Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    First of all I just want to say I'm having a lot of fun questing, leveling, crafting, exploring more than I have in any other game except for EQ and WoW but it has that same magic I felt when I first started playing those games which is a good thing now in response to "do I think ESO will give WoW a run for its money?"

I don't think so, at least not at the moment...ESO is too barebones for an MMO, so many features missing :( Hasn't brought anything new to the table besides a new skin. I really want to like this game but it needs to add in more stuff/features and needs more convenience as well.

Some things I really think would help....

Such as account wide mounts/pets would be nice, shouldn't have to suffer bag/bank space when it's already a problem, that was a step backwards making vanity items like this per single character.

Chat bubbles which are needed with a toggle off/on otherwise everybody out in the world looks like NPCs and nobody has any interest in talking in /say because what's the point if you can't see or figure out who's talking to you without something grabbing your attention on the screen? Most people don't watch the chat box at the left because all it is is SPAM with gold sellers, people trading mats, talking about chuck norris....at least with a chat bubble popping up in the middle of your screen something just grabbed your attention you wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Is that an immersion breaking thing too, not having chat bubbles? What breaks my immersion is not knowing who's talking to me out in the world. In the real world somebody talks to me in a crowd of people I can see their head, eyes and mouth moving and looking at me, that's how I tell somebody out of a crowd of people who's talking to me. Another step backwards and Zenimax said they have no plans for chat bubbles.

A way to stay in your friends phase, you should be locked in a phase whenever in a group with them regardless of the part of the quest you or they are on.

More customization such as expanding on the single slot for appearance costume we have currently, Lotro did it best for customization.

Fishing, we should be able to fish anywhere in the water besides a single node, the single node should be for a special fish or something.

Player housing, the single player games had it, yes I know they said after launch but I hope they keep their word.

Invisible walls, I'm not talking about walls to new/uncreated areas, I'm talking about invisible walls that lead to a cliff or a shortcut way down, it makes the world feel more open and gives more choices. I've encountered a few of these invisible walls.

If they want to be a success they need features/changes like these and more, at the moment it's too barebones.

The more the features, the better the MMO, the more it gives people of all different play styles something to do.

I feel way too limited now but I'm going to stick with it and hope more stuff gets added.

Going to work my way up to level 50, see what that's like, keep up on dev's talking about incoming content then I guess I will make my decision whether I will stay or not.

I really don't know how they think they're going to survive as a P2P model if they just keep it like this and just add raids and different guilds, but at least they're already prepared for F2P if it doesn't survive. Which I hope doesn't happen but I guess only time will tell.

I understand it's a new game so I'm hoping they're thinking about more stuff besides AZ's and new guilds.

I don't expect anybody to agree with my opinions but all these features makes an MMO more fun for me, the less features the less fun I have, can't imagine it being any different for anybody else except for PvPers because all they care about is PvP and nothing else.

But as you can see what I really want is ESO to become the next big MMO, I want it to be a success, I want all these changes, features, convenience to be added in, I don't want it to have less than what other MMOs have.

There will be people that disagree and think the game is fine how it is, they'll be the downfall of the game if it happens.

So I guess I'll give it time since it's new, see how it goes.
  • Salsadoom
    Salsadoom
    ✭✭✭
    Impossible for anyone to say.

I would say ESO has great potential to make a lot of money. I don't t think their focus should be unseating WoW, they just need to concentrate on making the game great, having great customer service, and useful timely patches/updates.

I am of the opinion that WoW was somewhat of a freak occurrence that may not happen again for another 50 years, but ESO doesn't have to beat WoW to be a success.

I hope the ESO team continues to push the game, expand the game, and refine the game so they can make a mark on the genre. Worrying about the competition is just a distraction.
  • Pelerin2014
    Pelerin2014
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so, I don't think any one MMO will give WoW "A run for it's money".

WoW is too well established and has a huge playerbase - I don't see that changing because of ESO.

Don't misunderstand, I really like ESO as I'm sure many others do, I also think it will do well because of the experience it provides - but I don't see it having an impact on other MMOs.
    Pelarius, Imperial Dragonknight of the Aldmeri Dominion.
  • Delekii
    Delekii
    ✭✭
    Not a snowball's chance in hell.
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, we can't ignore the fact that pre-paid ESO cards are sold out at amazon and the physical Imperial Editions were sold out too. Most of the bugs are actually 'caused from too many people playing ESO at the sametime. I know there are people who complain about ESO but most of them are nitpickers who are never happy. But even with all the hate ESO still managed to get 5 million people in the beta, that says something; no matter how many times people complain sooner or later no one really cares and just start to do whatever they feel like. ESO already experienced some success already. The game's survival completely depend on the developers now, it is up to them to add new features and content that people want to play.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See my signature.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Treffer
    Treffer
    Delekii wrote: »
    Not a snowball's chance in hell.
    ^