The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Error 318

• ZOS_JasonLeavey
    ZOS_JasonLeavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there, @Draxys. Thanks for reporting that to us. If you don't mind, be sure to keep using "/bug" in-game if the error continues to occur. Our team is investigating cases of users receiving error 318 when they are not messaging, so further reported bugs indicating what you were doing at the time of the error are certainly helpful.
    Jason Leavey
    Community Coordinator - The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • nessman67nrb19_ESO
    nessman67nrb19_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Been receiving the 318 Error recently, Twice while just entering combat, where I lost all animations, Just now, Trying to dismount horse, on entering Wayrest.

Error 318 (6:3:125:2)
    You have been dropped from the server because you reached the message rate limit. Please avoid excessive messaging (i.e spamming).
  • stonelisticub17_ESO
    Error 318 (6:3:1192:2)
    You have been dropped from the server because you hit the message rate limit. Please avoid excessive messaging (i.e. spamming).
    server: NA
    zone: Skywatch
    I was looting bags for crafting materials.
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @stonelisticub17_ESO,

This error is usually triggered by ingame error messages which are not visible, and is not normally related to chat. If your character has been stuck in terrain recently, that would likely be the cause. It could also be due to a client issue or add-on errors.

If you have any add-ons running, especially out of date add ons, try disabling them if this issue persists.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Egorro
    Egorro
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS_GaryA wrote: »
    Hey there @stonelisticub17_ESO,

This error is usually triggered by ingame error messages which are not visible, and is not normally related to chat. If your character has been stuck in terrain recently, that would likely be the cause. It could also be due to a client issue or add-on errors.

If you have any add-ons running, especially out of date add ons, try disabling them if this issue persists.
    I also receive this error every day, doing nothing special and not using chat, just playing alone. It looks like server is not responding: I cant interact with NPC or objects, cant draw weapon etc. Right now I came to wayshrine but didn't receive message of its discovery, went to quest NPC mark nearby and couldn't speak with him (no 'E Talk' message). After about a minute of such moving I was reverted coming to wayshrine again, received message that it is discovered and then kicked out with this error message
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @Egorro,

Not to sound like a broken record, but as mentioned in the above post, do you happen to be running any add ons? If so, please try disabling them and let us know if you see the same results every day.
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Egorro
    Egorro
    Soul Shriven
    Hey there @Egorro,

Not to sound like a broken record, but as mentioned in the above post, do you happen to be running any add ons? If so, please try disabling them and let us know if you see the same results every day.
    No I never used any addons.
    I have a feeling its somehow linked with alt-tabbing to desktop and back during the game, but don't know how to check that
  • kodo
    kodo
    ✭✭
    this still happens today, and twice yesterday..i never used the chat at all,and ther's nothing wrong with my addons, the scenario is always the same : it doesnt matter wher u are, u try to interact with an object ,a door , a plant,anything, and it doesnt respond to you..so u probably think you didnt press the e button,so u press it again, and again, and that's wher i guess zos server generates the error ,cause when the stuck is released it has too many commands = spamming.
    imo , if this problem cannot be fixed, so at least change the error message,
    dont make me more upset by telling me it's my fault.
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @kodo,

Error 318 is caused by excessive messaging to the server. This can occur if you spam the chat box, but a large majority of the time this occurs due to back-end messages that are sent by add ons. You are not able to see these messages, however they can cause disconnects with this error message.

We ask that you disable your add ons and attempt to play without them to see if the stability improves. If so, you may need to enable your add ons one by one to determine which one is causing the issue. If you continue to receive error 318 without any add ons running, please let us know and we'll be happy to help!
    Staff Post
  • Egorro
    Egorro
    Soul Shriven
    Hey there @kodo,

Error 318 is caused by excessive messaging to the server. This can occur if you spam the chat box, but a large majority of the time this occurs due to back-end messages that are sent by add ons. You are not able to see these messages, however they can cause disconnects with this error message.

We ask that you disable your add ons and attempt to play without them to see if the stability improves. If so, you may need to enable your add ons one by one to determine which one is causing the issue. If you continue to receive error 318 without any add ons running, please let us know and we'll be happy to help!

I said earlier that I never used any addons and almost don't use chat window, but periodically receive this error message, not so often as before
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @Egorro,

Does the error occur when something strange happens in the game? To clarify, this often occurs if your character becomes stuck in the world, if you are falling through the world, or various other oddities that may occur. Do you happen to notice any correlations when you're kicked?
    Staff Post
  • Egorro
    Egorro
    Soul Shriven
    Hey there @Egorro,

Does the error occur when something strange happens in the game? To clarify, this often occurs if your character becomes stuck in the world, if you are falling through the world, or various other oddities that may occur. Do you happen to notice any correlations when you're kicked?

Before the error message, the game stop responding my actions: I can move around and open windows (inventory, char etc), but can't even sheath weapon or talk/fight with NPC - looks like server is not responding but connection is somehow alive))
    For now this is not a real problem (I get this error one time per 3-4 days), but there is another issue I described in other topic - it happens 80-90% of my playing time
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @Egorro,

That sounds like a connection issue, which may also explain the 318 errors. For instance, let's say you hit a lag spike. When you return, all of the key presses and data that you have entered during the drop will get sent to the server at once, causing you to be kicked from the game due to "excessive messaging."

Our best suggestion in this case is to contact customer support with a game consultant file attached. This contains information about your connection, which will help our agents determine the issue and offer troubleshooting to assist you!
    Staff Post
  • Egorro
    Egorro
    Soul Shriven
    Hey there @Egorro,

That sounds like a connection issue, which may also explain the 318 errors. For instance, let's say you hit a lag spike. When you return, all of the key presses and data that you have entered during the drop will get sent to the server at once, causing you to be kicked from the game due to "excessive messaging."

Our best suggestion in this case is to contact customer support with a game consultant file attached. This contains information about your connection, which will help our agents determine the issue and offer troubleshooting to assist you!

Thank you for advice, somehow I didn't even know of the game consultant)) Created ticket, will be waiting for the response))
  • faronon
    faronon
    Soul Shriven
    I was fighting a solo boss for the fighters guild when it dropped me
  • blontz15
    blontz15
    Soul Shriven
    This is my 2nd day playing ESO. And I've only seen the error code 318. I was just walking around doing a mission and it did it. I'm on the north america server
  • EposSilver
    This is happening on the console version (Xbox One), too. No add ons, obviously, and a side note; it seems to happen, as well as general glitchyness, when someone rides by on a horse.
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're looking into error 318 on consoles, folks. For now, please try relogging if you encounter it. We'll be sure to provide updates in the Known Issues Thread as we can and recommend that you keep an eye out there.
    Staff Post
  • Adamsy
    Adamsy
    We're looking into error 318 on consoles, folks. For now, please try relogging if you encounter it. We'll be sure to provide updates in the Known Issues Thread as we can and recommend that you keep an eye out there.

problem is you can't log in because the account gets frozen out. Last time this happened it took you lot forever to sort. not happy.
  • darkangel13777_ESO
    Just happened to me while in a group dungeon! Thanks ESO! I had not even messaged ANYONE!
  • Denivere
    Denivere
    Soul Shriven
    Same here...
  • jellicles
    jellicles
    ✭✭✭
    Error 318 just occurred to me on 25 July 2015 whilst using the Xbox One NA server. I was kicked to the entry screen. Rather than deal with such rampant instability I believe I will take a break and have lunch.

My character was of like mind and was visiting the local pub in Shadowfens when the error occurred. I noticed things got wonky when I visited the cook fire. No add-ons are in use, and given this is an Xbox One there will probably never, never be any add-ons in use, but you support mavens knew that. Anything else?
  • hibbles
    hibbles
    Hi there, folks. Is there anything in particular that you're doing in-game when this happens? For instance, crafting, buying items from a vendor, a particularly vigorous battle?

its obvious you have not secured the channels from ddos attack
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there, folks. Is there anything in particular that you're doing in-game when this happens? For instance, crafting, buying items from a vendor, a particularly vigorous battle?

for me it was lagging before i got this, like walked 30m then then i was suddenly 30m back
  • amaniacub17_ESO
    I haven't had this problem (not that I remember), but I'm a software developer for a living, and I think there may be confusion here about the actual meaning of "messages". It's probably not talking about chat messages, it's talking about basic communication messages between the game client and the server.

@ZOS_TristanK - can you check with the devs and confirm this? If it's glitchy connections causing it, and not a flood of chat messages, it would clear up a lot of confusion.
  • MisterCTwo
    MisterCTwo
    Soul Shriven
    There I was just killing Harpys in ESO for PS4, the game started to lag, I got booted and the following was displayed on the screen:

Error 318
    You have been dropped from the server because you hit the message rate limit. Please avoid excessive messaging (i.e. spamming).

Edited by MisterCTwo on April 16, 2017 2:46AM
  • Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend is now having this issue in the last two hours he has probably been disconnected 7 times so far.

Sometimes just while running through deshaan but mainly when entering or exiting a delve there.

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this is a necro'd thread from one year ago, we will be closing it.

Error 318 can occur when there are issues with connectivity, such as lag or latency, sending too many messages in game in quick succession or due to an AddOn. To avoid having this occur, check your network connection, refrain from sending too many messages and if any AddOns are installed, we suggest disabling them and see if that resolves the issue.

If the you believe you have received this message in error, you should please type /bug in the in-game chat box and log the following information:
    • The entire error message
    • What zone you were in when the error happened
    • If you were in a particular cave or dungeon
    • What you were doing (crafting, battling, etc.)
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.