Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Skill experience: How is experience distributed to my action bar?

Teiji
Teiji
✭✭✭✭✭
So, I have five skills on my action bar excluding the obvious ultimate.

I go into a fight, kill something. And get "experience"

Is it a set amount for all the skills on my action bar? Is it increased by using a skill on my action bar, the skill experience for the skill I used, obviously.

Interested to know, so many questions with this game I have found myself asking, this saddens me.
"Serving Boethiah is Freedom, embracing heroism is Liberty, existing solely for noxiphilic sanguivoria is truth." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

European megaserver Fallout 4

Loyalist of Boethiah, heroism enthusiast, exposer of secrets, bless'ed of noxiphilic sanguivoria.

Nerf one grind, two more take its place; hail Gryndra!

I am a dank memer and satire enthusiast
  • Feimerdre
    Feimerdre
    ✭✭✭✭
    You only need the skill placed in your 5 skills bar. No need to actively use it although you will normally use the skills you place there as 5 is pretty few.
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    as above stated as long as its on your bar it will gain experience
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • Teiji
    Teiji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what you're saying is.

Skill experience is distributed regardless of usage of the skills. They need only be on your action bar.

If that is what you are saying, I thank you for granting clarity unto me.
    "Serving Boethiah is Freedom, embracing heroism is Liberty, existing solely for noxiphilic sanguivoria is truth." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Loyalist of Boethiah, heroism enthusiast, exposer of secrets, bless'ed of noxiphilic sanguivoria.

• Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    thats exactly it, as long as its on your bar it levels up, if its not it doesn't lol
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Usage doesn't affect experience gain. You could slot a weapon skill and wield a different weapon (meaning it cannot be used), and you will gain experience in both that skill and its parent weapon skill line.

A good way to level multiple weapons at once.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on April 4, 2014 12:09PM
  • Teiji
    Teiji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even consider that TheHappyCat!

Something so simple, yet convenient that I overlooked.

Final object of my curiosity.

Person A has five Ardent Flame abilities on action bar.
    Person B has one Ardent Flame ability on action bar.

Do they both accumulate equal experience in Ardent Flame? And by Ardent Flame I mean Ardent Flame, not the individual skills within it.

Edit- Five Ardent Flame abilities on action bar nets more experience in Ardent Flame than having just one Ardent Flame ability on action bar.
    Edited by Teiji on April 4, 2014 9:30PM

• gryffon2
    gryffon2
    ✭✭
    Interesting! I did not know this! Explains why my bow keeps going up. I tossed an early bow skill on there, but haven't used it. I'm only 8th lvl assassin and use primarily siphon and my sword and shield attacks. Thanks!