The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Templar focused charge animation needs fixing

cscheler83b14_ESO
When you charge the enemy it doesn't look at all like your attacking your target instead it looks like your attacking something on the other side of them in front of you. Does anyone else agree? The animation for this ability needs to be fixed so it looks like its piercing the target of the charge .
  • Edenwolf
    Edenwolf
    ✭✭
    For sure, feels like I'm jumping behind the target, I'm sure it's not intended.
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭
    This ability seems to make you overshoot your intended target and you end up beyond them, facing away from them. You cannot land you next attack without repositioning yourself. I can't think that this is the intended behaviour for this ability, so it needs fixing.
  • DankShank
    DankShank
    The first complaint I actually agree with! My templar is redguard so I assumed she just had mad dunk skills :p
  • cscheler83b14_ESO
    Thanks for contributing, guys! I love charge abilities and for them to work they need to be done right!
  • paul.s.gottub17_ESO
    paul.s.gottub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Yep - this really needs to be fixed - almost always blasts me past the enemy facing away from them.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes this ability needs urgent fixing...it makes no sense using like that and having the enemy in your back then...like this its really way worse than critical charge - no reason to use it
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just recognised, a lot of times you dont even hit the target and do no damage - really bugged
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also tends to get you locked into position thanks to enemy CD. Bad news.
  • Ranger
    Ranger
    ✭✭
    and 7 months later......

its still the same

useless
  • cozmon3c_ESO
    cozmon3c_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All charges have been messed up since 1.3, now if zenimax would do some fixing of it combat would feel alot less clunky. Charges root and silence there target during the charge. You see more and more of this abuse as people figure it out. This has been happening since 1.3, before that all was good.
    Guild UMBRA Chapter Lead
    ~Leper Si -V14 Sorcerer~
    Youtube Channel - Leper
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCozmon3c/videos
  • Fafnisbane
    Fafnisbane
    ✭✭
    The animation is reportedly fixed in 1.5.

The main problem with this skill, however, is not the animation, terrible as it is. It's the global cooldown: for about 1-2 seconds after charging, you can't perform ANY action (except blocking). Which makes it useless, because it effectively stuns you longer than it stuns your opponent.

As a result of the bot wars, when trains of bots would focused-charge-biting-jabs spam, templars are cursed with the only skills in the game to have a global cooldown. There is no word on this from Zeni, who originally did not even confirm that the cooldown had been implemented.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fafnisbane wrote: »
    The animation is reportedly fixed in 1.5.

The main problem with this skill, however, is not the animation, terrible as it is. It's the global cooldown: for about 1-2 seconds after charging, you can't perform ANY action (except blocking). Which makes it useless, because it effectively stuns you longer than it stuns your opponent.

As a result of the bot wars, when trains of bots would focused-charge-biting-jabs spam, templars are cursed with the only skills in the game to have a global cooldown. There is no word on this from Zeni, who originally did not even confirm that the cooldown had been implemented.

I stopped using it and started using Shield Charge. It simply doesn't work.
  • cozmon3c_ESO
    cozmon3c_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully they read and fix this, you should not have that global cool down.
    Guild UMBRA Chapter Lead
    ~Leper Si -V14 Sorcerer~
    Youtube Channel - Leper
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCozmon3c/videos
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a few Templar skills are actually inferior to skills available to all classes. Focused Charge is worse than Invasion. Cleansing Ritual is worse than Purge (at least for group PvP).
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Fafnisbane
    Fafnisbane
    ✭✭
    Quite a few Templar skills are actually inferior to skills available to all classes. Focused Charge is worse than Invasion. Cleansing Ritual is worse than Purge (at least for group PvP).

Very true.

On the other hand, Blazing Spear is better than Impulse, and Breath of Life is better than everything else.

I'd happily trade the entire Dawn's Wrath skill line for Green Dragon Blood though.

• timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This issue gets mentioned all the time but there is never a dev response and it never gets fixed. I can only assume that focused charge was designed to be clunky and useless.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least can you change the tooltip @ZOS?
    "Charge to target and stun for 1.5 seconds and make caster completely useless for 3 seconds."
    Or something alike.
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    Would like the animation to start mid-charge instead of doing that weird floaty assault at the end.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    On the other hand, Blazing Spear is better than Impulse, and Breath of Life is better than everything else.

Impulse is better than Blazing Spear. Blazing Spear can be walked out of and Burning Light isn't guaranteed to proc. Impulse and especially Elemental Ring are higher guaranteed damage per magicka and damage per cast especially if you factor in burning.

Breath of Life is amazing in some ways, and completely pales in comparison to GDB in many others. The spill over is awesome for PVE, but in PVP, Grand Healing is generally a much stronger heal to keep up especially in conjunction with Ritual and Regen. BoL will not always go where you want it, which can be maddening in certain situations, like getting into a PVP fight in Cheydinhal or something.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pmarsico is right on that bol one lol. Also I pray/look forward to the day where I as a Templar have more viable class skills outside of one or two common place ones XD
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Fafnisbane
    Fafnisbane
    ✭✭
    Pmarsico9 wrote: »

Impulse is better than Blazing Spear. Blazing Spear can be walked out of and Burning Light isn't guaranteed to proc. Impulse and especially Elemental Ring are higher guaranteed damage per magicka and damage per cast especially if you factor in burning.

Breath of Life is amazing in some ways, and completely pales in comparison to GDB in many others. The spill over is awesome for PVE, but in PVP, Grand Healing is generally a much stronger heal to keep up especially in conjunction with Ritual and Regen. BoL will not always go where you want it, which can be maddening in certain situations, like getting into a PVP fight in Cheydinhal or something.

Oh, agreed on BoL. I meant it's the best skill in the game for a healer, but as a self-heal it's meh. As I said, I'd trade the entire Dawn's Wrath line for Green Dragon Blood in a second.

Blazing Spear has less guaranteed damage than Impulse, but significantly higher average damage. It's especially useful as a defensive skill and you're spamming it on breaches or flags, because then every tick of the dot can also proc Burning Light. And, of course, you can aim it and attack at a distance. And you can use it with any weapon equipped: especially with 1h and shield while holding block (if you reassign interrupt), so you're much less squishy than if you're blocking with a destro staff.

Blazing Spear is not as good as Impulse as a zerging skill, but it's much better at zerg-busting.
  • Imdrefan
    Imdrefan
    ✭✭✭
    I'll take a magicka gap closer even with the slight delay. Stamina is too valuable to use on a charge.

I personally don't mind being behind them after I charge, I have the advantage being able to turn around quickly as they are breaking their CC and make an attack and as they are turning towards me I try to run past them to make them have to turn again. I find it helps with that sort of tactic.
    Drefan - VR14 AD Templar
    Decibel
    Dark Flare to the Face