Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I do not know why they had to give this an Elder Scrolls skin

elder42
elder42
It does not feel like Elder Scrolls at all. Especially without that "Crime" system. This is Dark Age of Camelot 2.
  • Laerrus
    Laerrus
    ✭✭✭
    Crime is rumored to be implemented in a later patch.
  • dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    Your basing your opinion off something that isn't even in the game yet? For shame
  • Zaziel
    Zaziel
    ✭✭✭
    Laerrus wrote: »
    dagnome wrote: »
    Your basing your opinion off something that isn't even in the game yet? For shame

This. Also the rest do feel like Elder Scrolls to me. The lockpicking is like Oblivion lockpicking, Alchemy like Skyrims, the fighting feels very elder scrolls to me as do the quests, characters, world and loot. I could go on but you get my point. So other than the Crime function there's really not much missing imo.
    Zaziel the Khajiit, EU
    For the Dominion
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feels like TES to me. Just about as close as you can get with the conversion from single player to MMO in mind.

You've been playing for all of... less than one day. Why not give it some time? You know, make your way out of Coldharbour first, would be a good start.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • KingRebz
    KingRebz
    ✭✭✭
    man the OP has a point..the game hasnt included so many things and its meant to be THE MMO of the year..crime was one of the MAIN elder scroll features. But I have hope..very little..
    V14 Sorceror [Ebonheart]
  • lupusrex
    lupusrex
    ✭✭✭
    Some of us like the lore/story, and I've found that to be interesting and faithful so far. There's the aspect of exploring all sorts of beautiful environments, some familiar and some new to us. Crafting is robust, similar enough to previous games to give that TES feel, and useful at all levels. Active combat has a similar feel, although the hotbar thing and class abilities are out of place (which is not to say that they aren't enjoyable).

Crime is tricky. If theft were a viable and low-effort way to make good money, like in the single-player games, you'd have tons of people doing it all the time. Assault and murder of NPCs would be problematic. What if someone decided to run around and kill all the questgivers? They would have to respawn sometime, which isn't exactly immersive, and they'd be causing others and themselves a huge inconvenience. There are other games in which questgivers can be killed, and I don't recall anyone saying, "Gee, I'm glad that was possible."

Punishment is another problem. Suppose a new player goes around chopping NPCs up for the heck of it. Eventually they'll be caught by a guard, and being new, they won't be able to afford the bail. They break their one lockpick (which is all you get in this situation in other TES games) and are forced to spend hours or days in jail, which they have to actually wait for since there's no "wait" function. Or imagine it's almost raid time, and one of your tanks says, "Sorry guys, I'm in jail."

As others have mentioned, it's entirely possible and likely that they will add crime in some capacity later on, but it will have to be planned very carefully. Finally, there are already quests in which you can choose to break the law, defy authority, or make decisions of questionable morality.

At the end of the day, though, I guess I can't affect how the game makes you feel.
    Martial Keen-Eye ~ Templar Healer/Archer ~ Daggerfall Covenant

"I ain't done nothin'."
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    They had to give it an Elder Scrolls skin because they decided to call it Elder Scrolls Online.

However, it would have been highly amusing if they had given it a Marvel Comics skin and kept the name Elder Scrolls...

Edited by Mortelus on April 4, 2014 2:31AM
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I must play Elder Scrolls games very different from some of you. Feels just like Skyrim to me.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    The classes are off for me, but that's just one of the concessions to going mmo.

Mage not having fire, illusions, etc
    Stealth not being able to attack repeatedly from stealth/from greater distance
    Melee needing magic

The rest of it feels like an elder scrolls game. And I can live with the changes they had to make to make it an mmo. The no real auction house in an mmo bothers me way more.
  • reignfyre
    reignfyre
    ✭✭✭
    lupusrex wrote: »
    Punishment is another problem. Suppose a new player goes around chopping NPCs up for the heck of it. Eventually they'll be caught by a guard, and being new, they won't be able to afford the bail. They break their one lockpick (which is all you get in this situation in other TES games) and are forced to spend hours or days in jail, which they have to actually wait for since there's no "wait" function. Or imagine it's almost raid time, and one of your tanks says, "Sorry guys, I'm in jail."

Then your guild raids the jail first B)

• Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laerrus wrote: »

not rumored its fact.

also I get nothing but a feeling of elder scrolls from this game. with a crime system thats all it needs. Honestly to those of us that have been playing ES since arena oblivion and skyrim are NOTHING like the other games. Those two are a bigger basterdizing of the franchise (though I adapted and learned to love them) than this game is.

This game actually reminds me a lot of morrowind. It is obvious to me, like shoddycast, you are a skybopper. Us old dogs learned to adapt to change and so can you.

The crime system will be added soon and then I think it will be a perfect es MMO.

• Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it greatly helpful to play at a slow pace.

Actually look around. Actually choose all dialogue options -- and listen to them. The audio diversity and quality in this game is absolutely mindblowing.

If you go in with the typical MMO mentality of "Okay, ill follow the sparkly trail to point 'N', kill enemy 'X' and looty item 'Y' BECAUSE MUST REACH END GAME NOOOOW!" you're going to reap what you sow.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 4, 2014 3:03AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • McNicholas10
    KingRebz wrote: »
    man the OP has a point..the game hasnt included so many things and its meant to be THE MMO of the year..crime was one of the MAIN elder scroll features. But I have hope..very little..

So if I'm reading this right, when you fire up Skyrim or Oblivion or any of the other titles in the series, you're doing it because you can't get enough of stealing sweet rolls? Really, besides the thieves guild quests crime mattered very little in TES games. It was somewhat amusing i suppose. Now I will admit that every time I see a player's horse i wanna take it, but hey you can't have everything.
    All the dude ever wanted was his rug back. It really tied the room together.
  • disexistencenub19_ESO
    Seraseth wrote: »
    The classes are off for me, but that's just one of the concessions to going mmo.

Mage not having fire, illusions, etc
    Stealth not being able to attack repeatedly from stealth/from greater distance
    Melee needing magic

The rest of it feels like an elder scrolls game. And I can live with the changes they had to make to make it an mmo. The no real auction house in an mmo bothers me way more.

I disagree. You can make a mage build with fire pretty easily using a dragonknight and a destruction staff and mage guild skills. You can make a warlock out of a nightblade or a shaman out of a templar or sorc. You just need to mix and match different abilities. I would like to see illusions and necromancy though.

You can also go with a stam build and just use weapon and fighter guild skills for a warrior, and pretty much ignore what class you picked if you really wanted to. It might not be AS effective as a mix of stuff, but it's certainly an option.

As for stealth, it's hard to balance the way it was in TES games compared to an mmo setup. Stealth was pretty ridiculous in Skyrim anyway. Hey look, an arrow is sticking out of my face. "Must be my imagination"

I think it just takes some creative thought and to realize the classes aren't exactly set in stone.