Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

New player tips from a Beta/Early access player

dagnome
dagnome
✭✭✭
As some of you joining the ESO community tommorow (or today even) may have noticed this game is different. I have a few tips and tricks i would like to bestow upon you to really help you get on your feet while you baby step your way into Tamriel.

Very Helpful Resources:
http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/ (One of the best general guides, IMO)
http://www.gamersheroes.com/category/game-guides/the-elder-scrolls-online-guides/
(Great general guide)
eso-fashion.com/ (For all your armor crafting needs)

Crafting
The best tip i can give you here is Research, research, research. Those cool downs are not going anywhere but I would advise that you find a trait you know your character will utilize (IE Magicka Enhancements for sorcs, etc.)
Inventory
This is a big one. Many of you will not have the benefit of a mount starting off in this world so I would recommend you locate and upgrade your backpack as soon as possible. The initial upgrades are only a few hundred gold (Granted they get expensive quick) but those first 10 slots you get will save you from many-a-headache down your questing trails.
*** REMEMBER*** Crafting materials CAN be stored in your bank and will be accessible at a crafting station so don't try to carry around 30-40 slots of crafting gear on your person(s).
Leveling
This is pretty straight forward, quests will be the best way to level. I got to level 20 in about 24 hours or so just by following quest lines.
Flexibility is king in ESO
Any class of any race can really fill any role in this game. With that being said, certain races have better traits that will function with roles better (IE Bretons being a better healer than say orcs). The system is designed for you to make a character that is very flexible and is not stuck in one "traditional" role like many other MMO's on the market.
Skyshards are your friend!
Everytime I visit an area for the first time I pop open one of many skyshard maps and collect them all. This will accomplish several tasks, it will open up the map to you and unlock many quests, it will also give you 5 or so skill points. Having skill points aside from the ones granted from Main story quests/leveling will allow your toon to be that much more flexible and powerful as time goes on. Plus it breaks up the quest "grind".
Mounts
Getting your first Mount is a great thing, they are pretty and allow you to upgrade your carrying capacity even more. So what do you need to do? FEED THEM! Every day drop 250 gold into your horse to upgrade your carrying capacity by 1. It will go a long way in inventory management.

This is all I have for now and it should be plenty to get you new kids going. Feel free to add me in game or message me if you need anything. Fellow community members, please feel free to post your own tips and resources and maybe we can consolidate them into one massive "Resource" page.

Happy questing every pony!
-Dagnome
Edited by dagnome on April 3, 2014 8:56PM
  • Jorva
    Jorva
    ✭✭
    Hey Dagnome, I believe we first met in Deshaan. I didn't know you were this resourceful but I do now... Expect some questions from me in the future. Thanks for the well written guide.
    Jorvo Stormwolf
    Ebonheart Pact
    PC Platform
  • dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    I wear a very clever Guise dont I? ;p
  • Jorva
    Jorva
    ✭✭
    That, I cannot say. :p

For some strange reason, I don't really have any questions to ask. I feel that there is so much to do and so little time for questions. I'm pretty sure that some will come up later in my adventuring.
    Jorvo Stormwolf
    Ebonheart Pact
    PC Platform
  • dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the game is trial and error, with a standing stat/skill point reset system in game it is OK to make mistakes, as long as you learn from them. As I said above, this game allows toons to be so flexible so I would challenge anyone to go crazy and make those bold mistakes as it will only make you a better ESO player in the long run.
  • Jorva
    Jorva
    ✭✭
    Now I remember something that concerns me. I hear that resetting class points were 100 gold per point, and at level 19... I only have roughly 6,500 gold which I assume is poor at my stage. What I am looking for is a guide to making some extra gold.
    Jorvo Stormwolf
    Ebonheart Pact
    PC Platform
  • dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    There are many ways to make gold in ESO, I can say from my experiences dont concern yourself with to many of them. As you progress in questlines and areas the rate at which you accumulate gold will increase as well.

As far as the resetting of skill points, that is accurate. it is 100 gold per point (Including any skyshard points you've obtained) so if you are like me and have gone skyshard crazy then it is costing in the upwards of 5-6k at level 20 to respec. On the same token, I wouldn't worry to much about respecing if you haven't really invested the time into getting skyshards as you can get about 15 skill points alone from gathering the skyshards in cyrodiil alone.

Many online guides will tell you one of the best ways to make money (Like in many other MMO's) is to craft quality "in demand" gear and sell it to the sap who will buy it for the most. As the game is in it's infancy you can probably sell off some blues and rarer items pretty easily as no one has much (In general) right now.
    Edited by dagnome on April 3, 2014 9:17PM
  • Jorva
    Jorva
    ✭✭
    Thanks a lot again. :)
    Jorvo Stormwolf
    Ebonheart Pact
    PC Platform
  • dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    No problem!