The connection issues for the North American PC/Mac megaserver have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

MMR That Makes Sense and is Easy to Understand

Thumbless_Bot
Thumbless_Bot
✭✭✭
I have been giving this a lot of thought. I think mmr should be simple and easy to understand and, most importantly, make sense in light of how bgs will likely to continue to play out in this new format.

Rules:

1. You get 2 points for each kill that you secure.
2. You get 1 point for an assist because it shows you aren't standing on a rss or capture point holding l2. You are actually trying to win. This part is controversial but the reality of this is very clear when you extrapolate to its natural terminus. If everyone stood on resources and healed or blocked the flag wouldn't move. You have to try to kill...
3. You get 2 points for having the highest heals on your team and 1 for second here.
4. You get 5 points for winning a bg because if you did 1 and 2, and likely you WILL WIN THE BG. However, if you are a really good Xer but get the short end and get comped with less talented group mates your mmr will not suffer as much. Even if you don't get the win bonus.

The above is not to say that tanks do not have their place but bgs is not the place, imho. They make bgs less fun and do little to nothing to contribute to the success of a team in a bg.
  • KingLewie_III
    KingLewie_III
    ✭✭✭
    That last line about tanks should be put in big bold letters on the BG queue screen.
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The system you propose offers nothing for playing objectives.

also wouldn't it just make sense to simply make your MMR visible on the BG queue screen?
  • Thumbless_Bot
    Thumbless_Bot
    ✭✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »
    The system you propose offers nothing for playing objectives.

also wouldn't it just make sense to simply make your MMR visible on the BG queue screen?

I disagree with you first comment and agree with your second.

For playing objectives, I started my thread by saying, "in light of how bgs will continue to play out". Let me elaborate. In this new team v team format i am seeing nothing but death match first and objectives second. This is illustrated throughout content creators sites showing their rounds on pts. Because of this. Killing and healing are the kpi of success/failure. You kill then you steal objectives.

It follows that killing equals success and, thus, should be how mmr is calculated.
    Edited by Thumbless_Bot on October 22, 2024 2:58PM
  • Navaac223
    Navaac223
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I got it. Someone who only kills like 5 players would get 10 points while someone who carried the team by healing more than 1 million health would get 2 points ? Maybe there should be some kind of scaling there

I think it still misses the real problem with the current rank : it isn't based on skill, it's based on time played. Maybe something like what you suggested could work though, but we'd have to give points differently for each role:

If you healed your team for more than 300k during the game, you'll be treated as a healer. If not, you'll be a DD

Healer :
    1. You get 2 point for every 50k total health given back to your allies
    2. You lose 1 point for each death in your team (yes, this can be unfair but that's why I made points so easy to get for healers)

DD :
    1. You get 1 point for each kill and lose 1 for each death. Better have a good k/d

Tank :
    1. You get -999 points

All :
    Gain 10 points for winning, lose 5 points for losing.

This is far from perfect and the healers will probably get more points than the DDs so we could make 2 seperate leaderboards but at least you can lose points, wich would allow people who don't want to grind bgs all day to at least make it to the top 10.
  • Thumbless_Bot
    Thumbless_Bot
    ✭✭✭
    Navaac223 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I got it. Someone who only kills like 5 players would get 10 points while someone who carried the team by healing more than 1 million health would get 2 points ? Maybe there should be some kind of scaling there

I think it still misses the real problem with the current rank : it isn't based on skill, it's based on time played. Maybe something like what you suggested could work though, but we'd have to give points differently for each role:

If you healed your team for more than 300k during the game, you'll be treated as a healer. If not, you'll be a DD

Healer :
    1. You get 2 point for every 50k total health given back to your allies
    2. You lose 1 point for each death in your team (yes, this can be unfair but that's why I made points so easy to get for healers)

DD :
    1. You get 1 point for each kill and lose 1 for each death. Better have a good k/d

Tank :
    1. You get -999 points

All :
    Gain 10 points for winning, lose 5 points for losing.

This is far from perfect and the healers will probably get more points than the DDs so we could make 2 seperate leaderboards but at least you can lose points, wich would allow people who don't want to grind bgs all day to at least make it to the top 10.

I never considered taking points away. This would seem to solve for the problem of more play equals higher mmr. I love this... especially the tank part. Best laugh all week.

Also, the point system is just a framework. I am sure we will all disagree on specifics, but the general point is killing, healing, not dying and winning are all that factor into mmr. If only zos would listen.