The connection issues for the North American PC/Mac megaserver have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Aetheric Lancer

spaceghost8
spaceghost8
✭✭✭
So I finally tried Aetheric Lancer on a trial

It’s good, but when a boss gets to 40% health it’s basically useless

As a Templar when a boss gets to 40% health you basically have to stop casting any other skills (except buffs) and just beam

Deadly set is waay better especially in execute. I have no reason to run Aetheric Lancer over Deadly

To alleviate this can we please get Aetheric Lancer to proc of direct damage from class abilities

So instead of it reading: while in the area, dealing damage with an Aedric spear ability launches a spear

It can say: while in the area, dealing direct damage with a class ability launches a spear
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the class sets are generally more focused on 1 specific skill line

if you want one thats more focused on beam and execute, then should use the other class set: wrathsun

that one builds stacks using dawns wrath abilities (beam), and when it goes off it adds +25% dmg and drops a nova

each beam adds 3 stacks, which is about 16 casts to get to 50 stacks (you can reduce this some by also using other dawns wrath abilities like reflective light/vampires bane

if your really about optimizing for execute though, you wouldnt use either but probably kvatch gladiator + deadly if you wanted to maximize your beam power in execute
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭
    the class sets are generally more focused on 1 specific skill line

if you want one thats more focused on beam and execute, then should use the other class set: wrathsun

that one builds stacks using dawns wrath abilities (beam), and when it goes off it adds +25% dmg and drops a nova

each beam adds 3 stacks, which is about 16 casts to get to 50 stacks (you can reduce this some by also using other dawns wrath abilities like reflective light/vampires bane

if your really about optimizing for execute though, you wouldnt use either but probably kvatch gladiator + deadly if you wanted to maximize your beam power in execute

I am talking about Aetheric Lancer… Why r u telling me about other sets?… Wrathsun is trash, Kvatch gladiator trash (opposite of what Aetheric Lancer does, good only on execute)

What class skill line is Pyrebrand, beacon of oblivion and spattering disjunction focused on?

Burning light is in the Aedric spear skill line, so that still counts?

How would you improve this set? Because it’s clearly lacking

• spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭
    Also if you didn’t know, for pve you can’t wear 2 none trial sets as u need minor slayer… unless you use oakensoul, so I can’t wear deadly and kvatch even if I wanted to
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    beacon of oblivion would be the skill line with the pets, because it has a condition specifically for or against pets

pyrebrand is mostly about consuming dots which would be ardent flame as that has most of the sticky dots

splattering would be the offensive tree herald of the tome as it requires dealing dmg and thats where most of the dmg dealing arc skills are

the way that i would improve aetheric lancer would just be to have it automatically fire the lance when you generate the stacks with burning light, trying to use aetheric lance in actual combat situations such as trials it can be difficult to locate the circle on the ground with all of the other aoes going on (and its sometimes unreachable if it lands in red and you cant get to it)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

• Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aetherial Lancer is incredible in PvP, it’s a better Tarnished Nightmare.

While I understand wanting it improved for PvE, after seeing how Pyrebrand was altered, I have zero faith in whatever change they would make to satisfy both you and me, or even either of us post-update.
    Edited by Theist_VII on October 10, 2024 5:36PM
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty telling as to the state of Templar when you're able drop all other abilities after 40% HP in favour of 1, minus maybe a back bar ground dot for enchants.

Beam is straight busted, carrying the class hard while the rest of the kit struggles. Nerf Beam, then buff Backlash, Jabs, Burning Light, Shards, Dark Flare, Sun Fire, Sweep, and Nova.

the way that i would improve aetheric lancer would just be to have it automatically fire the lance when you generate the stacks with burning light, trying to use aetheric lance in actual combat situations such as trials it can be difficult to locate the circle on the ground with all of the other aoes going on (and its sometimes unreachable if it lands in red and you cant get to it)

This, just attach it to Burning Light, no aoe collection necessary. Would be so much more enjoyable to use, keeps the identity to the skill line it's meant for, while still being open enough for any build to proc since Burning Light works on dealing any damage now.

PC Beta - 2200+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭
    beacon of oblivion would be the skill line with the pets, because it has a condition specifically for or against pets

pyrebrand is mostly about consuming dots which would be ardent flame as that has most of the sticky dots

splattering would be the offensive tree herald of the tome as it requires dealing dmg and thats where most of the dmg dealing arc skills are

Well u r right on splattering

I can proc pyrebrand without any dk skill, light attack/heavy attack and all dots apply… staff dots, mages guild and scribing etc

For beacon of oblivion I don’t even need pets to benefit

I like your idea better, it’s more powerful, though it would be random… with direct damage class abilities at least you can direct where you want your spear to hit
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well u r right on splattering

I can proc pyrebrand without any dk skill, light attack/heavy attack and all dots apply… staff dots, mages guild and scribing etc

For beacon of oblivion I don’t even need pets to benefit

I like your idea better, it’s more powerful, though it would be random… with direct damage class abilities at least you can direct where you want your spear to hit

thats why i suggested just making it proc on burning light

if your fighting single target its not really random but higher uptime on the buff

that would basically put it on par with something like pyrebrand or beacon, which can be triggered without utilizing the class skills
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭
    Theist_VII wrote: »
    Aetherial Lancer is incredible in PvP, it’s a better Tarnished Nightmare.

While I understand wanting it improved for PvE, after seeing how Pyrebrand was altered, I have zero faith in whatever change they would make to satisfy both you and me, or even either of us post-update.

I am not your average pve player, I play pvp religiously as well… Our suggestions would please you and me… pvp is dynamic no player will sit there and wait for ur spear to proc, I have seen a few players trying to use it just get away lol… what r they going to do to proc the spear on u? Throw spear shards at you?
  • spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty telling as to the state of Templar when you're able drop all other abilities after 40% HP in favour of 1, minus maybe a back bar ground dot for enchants.

Beam is straight busted, carrying the class hard while the rest of the kit struggles. Nerf Beam, then buff Backlash, Jabs, Burning Light, Shards, Dark Flare, Sun Fire, Sweep, and Nova.

This, just attach it to Burning Light, no aoe collection necessary. Would be so much more enjoyable to use, keeps the identity to the skill line it's meant for, while still being open enough for any build to proc since Burning Light works on dealing any damage now.

I can tell you don’t pve at all lol… when it’s execute time your execution skill is your spammable
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I can tell you don’t pve at all lol… when it’s execute time your execution skill is your spammable

Well that was unnecessarily rude. Read my comment again to understand the point I was making. Most classes don't drop absolutely everything at 40/100% HP, even the ones with executes, Templar's kit sucks right now, the only saving grace is how OP Beam is. Full stop. Spread out that power to the rest of their kit.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on October 10, 2024 6:42PM
    PC Beta - 2200+ CP

Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭
    Most executes aren’t effective till around 25%… the templars execute starts being effect at around 40% this why templars drop almost everything at 40%

Beam is strong but I wouldn’t call it busted especially with the arcanists beam around but what do I know maybe I’m just being biased
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most executes aren’t effective till around 25%… the templars execute starts being effect at around 40% this why templars drop almost everything at 40%

Beam is strong but I wouldn’t call it busted especially with the arcanists beam around but what do I know maybe I’m just being biased

Templar:
    • Radiant Glory - 2950 Mag/1.8s (1639 Mag/s) = 3219/1.8s up to 18670/1.8s below 50% HP (1788/s - 10372/s). Up to 480 Mag and 17% damage done as healing returned each tick (3 over 1.8s). Undodgeable.
    • Radiant Oppression - 2950 Mag/1.8s (1639 Mag/s) = 3219/1.8s up to 19314/1.8s below 50% HP (1788/s - 10730/s). Undodgeable.

Nightblade:
    • Killer's Blade - 2066 Stam/s = 1161 up to 5805 dmg below 50% HP. Heals 2399 on kill, but melee.
    • Impale - 2430 Mag/s = 1161 dmg or 4992 dmg if below 25% HP.

Sorcerer:
    • Mages' Wrath - 2430 Mag/s = 871 dmg, +3195 below 20% HP. (Total 4066) The 3195 is aoe.
    • Endless Fury - 2160 Mag/s = 871 dmg, +3195 below 20% HP. (Total 4066) The aoe is 696, but returns 4860 Mag on kill.

Dual Wield:
    • Whirling Blades - 3510 Stam/s - 1799 up to 3598 dmg below 50% HP. AOE + Undodgeable.

2 Hander:
    • Reverse Slice - 2430 Stam/s = 1199 up to 4796 dmg below 50% HP. Melee + splash AOE.
    • Executioner - 2160 Stam/s = 1161 up to 5805 dmg below 50% HP. Melee.

TLDR: Beam deals almost double of the best closest executes, Killer's Blade and Executioner, but is 28m instead of 7m, undodgeable, and cheaper per second to maintain.

The only downside is you miss out on 1 light attack in the 1.8s window that a NB would get by spamming their execute twice, but the tooltip more than covers that part especially since light attack damage is now capped up to a point while abilities are not. This point also doesn't matter if you you're using Velothi in PVE since light attacks already deal nothing in favour of buffing everything else you use.

So yes, when I say it's carrying the class I mean it. It's about the only good thing Templar has going for it while all their other damage abilities (the ones I listed) suffer because of it.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on October 10, 2024 9:22PM
    PC Beta - 2200+ CP

• MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyway totally off topic, I didn't expect to need to explain my point.

Make the set easier to proc lol.
    PC Beta - 2200+ CP

• spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭

Templar:
    • Radiant Glory - 2950 Mag/1.8s (1639 Mag/s) = 3219/1.8s up to 18670/1.8s below 50% HP (1788/s - 10372/s). Up to 480 Mag and 17% damage done as healing returned each tick (3 over 1.8s). Undodgeable.
    • Radiant Oppression - 2950 Mag/1.8s (1639 Mag/s) = 3219/1.8s up to 19314/1.8s below 50% HP (1788/s - 10730/s). Undodgeable.

Nightblade:
    • Killer's Blade - 2066 Stam/s = 1161 up to 5805 dmg below 50% HP. Heals 2399 on kill, but melee.

Sorcerer:
    • Mages' Wrath - 2430 Mag/s = 871 dmg, +3195 below 20% HP. (Total 4066) The 3195 is aoe.
    • Endless Fury - 2160 Mag/s = 871 dmg, +3195 below 20% HP. (Total 4066) The aoe is 696, but returns 4860 Mag on kill.

Dual Wield:
    • Whirling Blades - 3510 Stam/s - 1799 up to 3598 dmg below 50% HP. AOE + Undodgeable.

2 Hander:
    • Reverse Slice - 2430 Stam/s = 1199 up to 4796 dmg below 50% HP. Melee + splash AOE.

TLDR: Beam deals almost double of the best closest executes, Killer's Blade and Executioner, but is 28m instead of 7m, undodgeable, and cheaper per second to maintain.

The only downside is you miss out on 1 light attack in the 1.8s window that a NB would get by spamming their execute twice, but the tooltip more than covers that part especially since light attack damage is now capped up to a point while abilities are not. This point also doesn't matter if you you're using Velothi in PVE since light attacks already deal nothing in favour of buffing everything else you use.

So yes, when I say it's carrying the class I mean it. It's about the only good thing Templar has going for it while all their other damage abilities (the ones I listed) suffer because of it.

Well sure it deals double the damage it’s a 1.8 sec channelled ability, by that time a nightblade or 2 hander could do 2 killers blade or executioner

It carries the class for sure, I am not saying other parts don’t need buffed

Let’s not get sidetracked tho, the post is about Aetheric Lancer
  • spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway totally off topic, I didn't expect to need to explain my point.

Make the set easier to proc lol.

lol read my mind
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Templar:

Nightblade:

Sorcerer:

Dual Wield:

2 Hander:

Well sure it deals double the damage it’s a 1.8 sec channelled ability, by that time a nightblade or 2 hander could do 2 killers blade or executioner

If you look at the bolded part, I adjusted for dmg/s instead of over 1.8s. In the TLDR I brought up what you said, but the point is kinda worthless considering Velothi in PVE, ranged vs melee, cheaper cost, and it being undodgable.

It's better in every way to whats considered the best execute in the game, unless you just hate channels, but thats Templar for ya :D

Radiant Oppression = 1788/s - 10730/s
    Killer's Blade = 1161 - 5805

(54% - 84% stronger per second)

It's shockingly overpowered when you break it down, and it's clear ZOS is using it as a crutch to balance Templar instead of making anything else it uses decent. They've buffed their beams numerous times throughout the years.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on October 10, 2024 9:51PM
    PC Beta - 2200+ CP

• spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭

Templar:

Nightblade:

Sorcerer:

Dual Wield:

2 Hander:

If you look at the bolded part, I adjusted for dmg/s instead of over 1.8s. In the TLDR I brought up what you said, but the point is kinda worthless considering Velothi in PVE, ranged vs melee, cheaper cost, and it being undodgable.

It's better in every way to whats considered the best execute in the game, unless you just hate channels, but thats Templar for ya :D

It's shockingly overpowered when you break it down, and it's clear ZOS is using it as a crutch to balance Templar instead of making anything else it uses decent. They've buffed their beams numerous times throughout the years.

Well yes

But to make a fair comparison u have to times killers blade and executioner by 2, coz beam is basically 2 seconds

Then suddenly beam doesn’t seem so OP does it?

Most executes say 40/50% but they are trash till like 25%
  • BasP
    BasP
    ✭✭✭✭

Templar:

Nightblade:

Sorcerer:

Dual Wield:

2 Hander:

Well yes

But to make a fair comparison u have to times killers blade and executioner by 2, coz beam is basically 2 seconds

The damage Radiant Oppression deals is already divided by 1.8 in that example, however. So if you'd want to compare Radiant to two casts of Killer's Blade, Radiant would deal 3219 - 19314 damage over 1.8 seconds and it'd still be 39% - 66% stronger (if I'm not mistaken).
  • Skulptro
    Skulptro
    ✭✭✭
    just a quick reminder. The numbers are good indeed, more or less good. BUT. It's a channeled DOT. So no block-casting, for example. You are just beaming for 2 seconds. Get bashed or ССd. And now you have to break free, wait cooldown on Beam, because there is a cooldown, if you were interrupted. Keep all these things in mind, when you say it's too OP. Basically, it is good in PvE, when you are beaming, while tank holds the boss, or in PvP when you run behind the zerg and finish all their kills. Most skilled players just bash your execute and counter-burst you. Eazy kill.
  • Skulptro
    Skulptro
    ✭✭✭
    About Lancer - it's good, but being ground-based proc is sometimes unreliable. You cant use it while fighting in keep, because when the spear drops, you have to deal damage with Aedric Spear ability, but the enemy got behind the corner, and you don't get your bonuses. The way I would alter the set is following:

When the spear lands, you get 300 spell damage, and if you deal damage, standing in spear's area, you get a damage proc.

May be, you have to collect a spear to get a bonus spell damage, but having all the parts of the bonus tied to dealing damage holds the set back.

By the way, if you double-bar the set, you can activate it from your backbar if you use Radiant Ward, because it's from Aedric Spear and it deals damage. Blazing Shield also does the trick, but only when it expres. Im gonna try this interaction on live server, may be, just for fun.
  • spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭
    BasP wrote: »

Templar:

Nightblade:

Sorcerer:

Dual Wield:

2 Hander:

Well yes

The damage Radiant Oppression deals is already divided by 1.8 in that example, however. So if you'd want to compare Radiant to two casts of Killer's Blade, Radiant would deal 3219 - 19314 damage over 1.8 seconds and it'd still be 39% - 66% stronger (if I'm not mistaken).

I don’t know how u came to those numbers but they don’t look correct

If killers blade is 5800 and beam is 10000

you have to say killers blade is 5800 x 2 so basically killers blade is 11600

Beam is a 2 second ability, this is y if u r going to make a fair comparison u have to times killers blade by 2
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Templar:

Nightblade:

Sorcerer:

Dual Wield:

2 Hander:

Well yes

Beam is a 2 second ability, this is y if u r going to make a fair comparison u have to times killers blade by 2

He converted the damage on Radiant from 18670/1.8s to 10372/s in order to directly compare Radiant per 1 second to Killers per 1 second. Multiplying Killers Blade *2 (should be *1.8 really) would be doing the same calculation twice.
  • spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Templar:

Nightblade:

Sorcerer:

Dual Wield:

2 Hander:

Well yes

He converted the damage on Radiant from 18670/1.8s to 10372/s in order to directly compare Radiant per 1 second to Killers per 1 second. Multiplying Killers Blade *2 (should be *1.8 really) would be doing the same calculation twice.

If u say so

My point was/is killers blade is basically 11600 and beam is 10000… no need to complicate things

When looking at it like this beam isn’t OP, its a standard execute
  • Sockermannen
    Sockermannen
    ✭✭✭

Templar:

Nightblade:

Sorcerer:

Dual Wield:

2 Hander:

Well yes

If u say so

My point was/is killers blade is basically 11600 and beam is 10000… no need to complicate things

But you’re doing the exact same mistake you claim that others of doing now, you compare one second of beam to 2 casts of killer’s blade.

10k is much more comparable to one second of beam than the whole 1.8 second channel time.

If we look at the initial calculation provided by @MashmalloMan beam had around 18k over those 1.8 seconds. If you are going to compare it to x2 killer’s blade you’re also going to have to look at the full damage that beam provides over it’s 1.8s duration.
    Edited by Sockermannen on October 12, 2024 3:01PM
  • The_Meathead
    The_Meathead
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, auto-firing would make this set so much better.

I'd love to use it in PvP as a band-aid for beloved Jabs and because I like the flavor of it tremendously, but it's just too much extra baggage/clicks to utilize in anything but the rare open field 1v1 with no obstructions or a zillion other AoEs going off to obscure vision.

Not sure why Templar got hit with the only Class Set (that I noticed) that took extra effort to use, but it would be a whole lot better if it just procced off Burning Light or something similar.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Templar:

Nightblade:

Sorcerer:

Dual Wield:

2 Hander:

Well yes

The damage from Beam has a lead-up time after the cast. Then it takes 1.8 seconds to do its damage. It’s not something you can use every 1.8 seconds.

It takes very close to 2 seconds exactly from the beginning of the cast to the end of the damage (check CMX’s timestamps), so comparing it to 2x an instant-cast skill is more appropriate than 1.8.
    Edited by virtus753 on October 12, 2024 3:25PM
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skulptro wrote: »
    By the way, if you double-bar the set, you can activate it from your backbar if you use Radiant Ward, because it's from Aedric Spear and it deals damage. Blazing Shield also does the trick, but only when it expres. Im gonna try this interaction on live server, may be, just for fun.

It fires in an AoE and hits everyone around you when you activate Radiant Ward, about the only way the skill does anything.
  • BasP
    BasP
    ✭✭✭✭

Templar:

Nightblade:

Sorcerer:

Dual Wield:

2 Hander:

Well yes

If u say so

Perhaps the tooltips will help clarify things:

m3lpcyh044qs.png

Two casts of Killer's Blade only deal 2322 Disease Damage at base, and the scaling versus low health enemies is worse too. Beam is definitely the stronger execute skill.
  • Lystrad
    Lystrad
    ✭✭✭
    t

To be fair this is arguably a design issue with pyrebrand that it doesn't require ANY class abilities to trigger when the stated goal is supposed to be for class sets to prop up specific skill lines. As it's currently designed pyrebrand should probably be a neutral set for dot builds, not an exclusive set for dragon knights.

The intended design for these class sets seems to be less like pyrebrand and beacon and more like monolith and soulcleaver.