The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Most fun discovery thread...

nerevarine1138
nerevarine1138
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
To try and combat the rising tide of "OMG, wut iz maintnce?" threads, I thought we should have some fun. For some of the new players, list your favorite surprising discovery in-game so far:

For me, it was going upstairs at the Skywatch Mages Guild. There's a soothsayer up there who will teleport you to one of three locations based on what you tell her you'd like (adventure, knowledge, or beauty). She isn't marked as a quest or anything, so it was super-awesome to answer her question and suddenly end up outside the city at a world boss.
----
Murray?
  • Veakoth
    Veakoth
    ✭✭✭
    Theres a giant head in the DC zone and we jumped off the nose of this monster of a statue head knowingly to our deaths and got the achievement Nose Dive
  • Ibura
    Ibura
    ✭✭✭
    I was exploring and got into the water to swim around some mountains, but something ate me, so I died and got the achievement 'Slaughtered' *grin*
  • Rosebloome
    Rosebloome
    ✭✭
    Running around in cyrodill, looking for lorebooks and skyshards.

Run across the lorebook, " The Lusty Argonian Maid. "

It made it into ESO. \m/
  • powderdtoastman
    powderdtoastman
    Soul Shriven
    So far finding the Legend Enchanting Stone was VERY excited..... also finding and doing a few treasure maps found in locked chests and completing an Master lock in the last possible notch of time..
    Edited by powderdtoastman on April 3, 2014 6:29PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosebloome wrote: »
    Running around in cyrodill, looking for lorebooks and skyshards.

Run across the lorebook, " The Lusty Argonian Maid. "

It made it into ESO. \m/

Awesome.

On that note, I found a book in Mehrunes' Spite called "Confessions of a Khajiit Fur Trader". Super dark and funny.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Medium armor from Level 16 does not look like glorified pyjamas.
  • Varelsa
    Varelsa
    Soul Shriven
    The first fight that had "boss style" mechanics,(during a low level fighters guild quest). I had to actually think about how to use my abilities, and the fight still took a while, I'm hoping for a lot more of the same.
  • Veakoth
    Veakoth
    ✭✭✭
    There's a statue that asks you to choose a trophy to leave at it to continue some ritual, so my mate naturally chooses the lusty argonian maid. seconds later a ghost appears called The Price of Ignorance, being in veteran zone this thing is a beast.
    he survived but barely
    Edited by Veakoth on April 3, 2014 6:45PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Veakoth wrote: »
    There's a statue that asks you to choose a trophy to leave at it to continue some ritual, so my mate naturally chooses the lust argonian made. seconds later a ghost appears called The Price of Ignorance, being in veteran zone this thing is a beast.
    he survived but barely

That is so sweet. And I'm glad to hear that trophies are going to be useful at some point.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Veakoth
    Veakoth
    ✭✭✭
    by trophy i mean quest item, sorry mate
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    In AD you can use the Bear Trap trophy.... gotta try this in PVP... if it works it will be epic lolz.
  • Veakoth
    Veakoth
    ✭✭✭
    Two of my friends and I were in beta just running around we stopped in an area around some ruins in cyrodil. One of my friends stepped on a small rock and was launched over the other side of the imperial city from where we were and died on impact, tears of laughter followed, took him 10 minutes to run back to us.
  • vaxure
    vaxure
    ✭✭✭
    The discovery of Grahtwood!
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't necessarily a discovery, but while I was playing earlier I happened across what I thought was a person trying to unlock a chest. They were a fair bit away and a fishing spot was near me, so I decided to fish and just wait to see if they unlocked it, or gave up and moved.

A while passed, I noticed the "person" wasn't getting up from the lockpicking type position.. run over and it was a red rook bandit. Lesson learned, always approach close enough to see whether it's a person, NPC, or enemy!
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • jawhaleyb14_ESO
    jawhaleyb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Haven't tried this after Beta finished, but in areas that have easily accessible roofs, try jumping onto one. Physics just sort of takes a holiday, and you sort of gently float over to the side and down to the ground. So far, no loitering on top of public buildings :p
  • XXII
    XXII
    Finding out that the balcony behind Cheif Tazgol (DC second starter island) lead to death. It was fun watching other people jump down falling to their death thinking it was a shortcut.
    - Criminal Scum
  • lioslinn
    lioslinn
    ✭✭✭
    That dang owl that kept spooking me in Bleakrock Isle. I swear every time I'd turn around there it was just... staring at me. Looked quite real

The books that introduce you to crafting have quite a sense of humour: "we will turn these pieces of maple into sanded maple. This is called refining. No it`s not called sanding. But you do not get refined maple you get sanded maple. No that is not confusing. Now stop asking stupid questions and start working."

reality.sys corrupted-reboot universe [y/n] _
  • TwoClips
    TwoClips
    ✭✭
    I was walking through a city when a NPC said, "Surprise me, say something intelligent."
    I was in mid drink of coffee. Well after picking myself up from the floor because of lmfao. I had to clean off monitor and keyboard from the coffee that I spit out.
    Absolutely hilarious!! :D
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lalai wrote: »
    Isn't necessarily a discovery, but while I was playing earlier I happened across what I thought was a person trying to unlock a chest. They were a fair bit away and a fishing spot was near me, so I decided to fish and just wait to see if they unlocked it, or gave up and moved.

A while passed, I noticed the "person" wasn't getting up from the lockpicking type position.. run over and it was a red rook bandit. Lesson learned, always approach close enough to see whether it's a person, NPC, or enemy!

That totally counts. I came across one of those too, and it was awesome.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    That totally counts. I came across one of those too, and it was awesome.

It was pretty interesting. I was just happy someone didn't go up and snatch the chest while I was fishing away. Yeah they would have had to fight the mob, and technically I was there first.. but I'm just not the type to snatch away a chest while someone is fighting the thing that was next to it.

I also like, or appreciate, that I die in this game. I haven't died outside of a dungeon, while just leveling, in a long time. It's a bit refreshing because it means I need to pay attention to what a quest is telling me to do, and what the mobs are doing.

Edited to add: Just cause it made me laugh when I realized it.. the whole summoning a world anchor bit.. where they say something along the lines of "When Coldharbour calls, the Nirn obey".. I originally thought they were saying nerd instead of Nirn. Still fits I suppose :x
    Edited by Lalai on April 3, 2014 8:24PM
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • Korva
    Korva
    The one quest in Grathwood with the dude trapping his loved into a dungeon. The first scene: "To still my heart... or your loins.., Keep your arrow in the quiver." chuckled.
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    • Stumbling upon one of those "hidden" crafting stations that lets you craft armor sets, just because I'm compelled to go everywhere and snoop into everything. And no, I'm not saying where. That's why they're "hidden."
    • Rounding a corner to squeeze behind a ruined wall where I had no logical business going, just to kill a thunderbug, and finding a treasure chest.
    • Discovering that even on my first try at crafting, I could make gear that was better than what I was using - and slightly better on the next try. I felt like such a pro!
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On Bleakrock Isle, I stumbled into a mammoth skull that had two swords sticking out the front of its face. Crushed underneath it were two skeletons. Good effort, guys. XD

Every time I risk slaughterfish infested waters to swim out to a shipwreck and discover a chest inside, it feels worth the risk.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on April 3, 2014 8:43PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    On stros m'kai there's a note from someone saying how he thought treasure was buried inside this pillar, and how hard could it be to dig it out... Over next to the pillar, crushed under some fallen rocks is a skeleton with a pick.
  • nyxnox
    nyxnox
    ✭✭
    Running around the coast of High Rock when my husband walks over to look at a blue crab, suddenly we are attacked by dozens of the little buggers...they come non-stop out of the water followed by a GIANT blue crab. A passerby stopped to help us in our predicament...we barely escaped with our lives. Too busy trying not to die, I didn't think of getting a screenshot. ^_^
  • zoetaz1616
    zoetaz1616
    ✭✭
    I tried to jump over a quest conversation in a dungeon and fell through the world. Not just through it though, I fell from a height where the world was the size of 1 tile and kept falling forever, with the world slowly expanding until I reached ground. Then I fell through a foggy abyss forever until I reached a blue and white striped box representing the world, bounced off it and fell next to the blue/white wallpaper until it kicked me. Yes I was sober at the time.
  • Ashenangel
    Ashenangel
    ✭✭
    lol i have no funny thigs to add to this thread but thanks too all for shareing urs made me giggle :)
    The worlds gone to hell in a hand basket >:)
  • nyxnox
    nyxnox
    ✭✭
    XXII wrote: »
    Finding out that the balcony behind Cheif Tazgol (DC second starter island) lead to death. It was fun watching other people jump down falling to their death thinking it was a shortcut.

lol...I too was one of those people.
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Running toward a battle in Cyrodil, this guy turns up and ganks my husband. I chase him down and finish him off, and get a popup saying I avenged my husband's character's death. That was pretty cool.

Also, the little references to other TES games, like the guy who says you could become the Thain of Whiterun (they take anybody), or the ex-robber banker named "Amussa".
    Edited by Melian on April 3, 2014 9:07PM
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh! Finding the NPC that says, "I like to crush skulls and eat sweetrolls, and I've no more sweetrolls."
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA